Question to Americans...

siwelewis

Do you know where the country Wales is and have you ever heard of it?

It seems like most Americans (without stereotyping) dont seem to know where Wales is. I saw one forum member once say the UK is made up of England, Scotland and Ireland but didnt mention Wales and when i tell Americans where im from they never seem to have a clue where Wales is and its weird because Tom Jones and Catherine Zeta Jones are huge stars in America but still Wales seems like an unknown country :confused:

It seems like most Americans (without stereotyping) dont seem to know where Wales is. I saw one forum member once say the UK is made up of England' date=' Scotland and Ireland but didnt mention Wales and when i tell Americans where im from they never seem to have a clue where Wales is and its weird because Tom Jones and Catherine Zeta Jones are huge stars in America but still Wales seems like an unknown country :confused:[/quote']

Where is it?

And, is Tome Jones the father of Catherine?

I'm from north east england' date=' up here we've never heard of a place called "Wales".

Is it like a little town or something?[/quote']

hahaha funny guy :P Now less of this England/Wales rubbishor we will have to embarrass you in rugby again (football doesnt count!)

Well Wales tends to just get lumped into the UK by most people over here in the colonies. At the end of the day your parliment is still subject to the UK parliment and can be over ruled no?

Doesn't help that the entire poluation of Wales is less than most major cities in the US.

It seems like most Americans (without stereotyping) dont seem to know where Wales is. I saw one forum member once say the UK is made up of England' date=' Scotland and Ireland but didnt mention Wales and when i tell Americans where im from they never seem to have a clue where Wales is and its weird because Tom Jones and Catherine Zeta Jones are huge stars in America but still Wales seems like an unknown country :confused:[/quote']

Wales is a country? That's news to me. I thought it was a province in England. My history is a little hazey but isn't wales known back in medieval times for having invented the longbow or atleast having very skilled longbowmen.

It seems like most Americans (without stereotyping) dont seem to know where Wales is. I saw one forum member once say the UK is made up of England' date=' Scotland and [/b']Ireland but didnt mention Wales and when i tell Americans where im from they never seem to have a clue where Wales is and its weird because Tom Jones and Catherine Zeta Jones are huge stars in America but still Wales seems like an unknown country :confused:

Stupid prick.

Only a part of ireland is part of britain.

Wales is a country? That's news to me. I thought it was a province in England. My history is a little hazey but isn't wales known back in medieval times for having invented the longbow or atleast having very skilled longbowmen.

Yeah it always has been a country just under English government (I know nothing about politics though). Im not too sure but probably i guess

I think Wales is probably quite well known' date=' when i speak to Americans or when i was in Oz a lot of people seemed to talk about their Welsh/Irish/Scottish relatives from generations ago, never English though lol.[/quote']

Thats because the people who got sent to Australia were convicts lol

This kind of stuff always cracks me up. Trying to paint a picture that depicts americans as ignorant because some don't know where Wales is.

The bottom line is nobody gives a **** about Wales. You recognize the US because well the US is very important to the world economy and peace or absence of peace around the globe. Wales population is lucky to field a decent soccer team. (Sorry Football Team).

This kind of stuff always cracks me up. Trying to paint a picture that depicts americans as ignorant because some don't know where Wales is.

The bottom line is nobody gives a **** about Wales. You recognize the US because well the US is very important to the world economy and peace or absence of peace around the globe. Wales population is lucky to field a decent soccer team. (Sorry Football Team).

Im not trying to make Americans look ignorant and i said already im not trying to stereotype. Its not hard to realise Wales compared to America is like and ant and an elephant i was just wondering how many americans on this forum knew of Wales.

Good point hahah lets turn this into another hate america thread were they start calling us all yanks when all of us aren't yanks. Never understood that one. Your american your a yank..lol

Im not trying to make Americans look ignorant and i said already im not trying to stereotype. Its not hard to realise Wales compared to America is like and ant and an elephant i was just wondering how many americans on this forum knew of Wales.

Got it. Well I personally feel that Wales is pretty well known for it's size. And the UK has many strong relations with the US so I think most have heard of Wales.

Not at you but at the *** who said that. Can you believe someone on here argued with me that i was british.I think i would know my own nationality better than some yank.

British to me is just English with a different flag. I dont like to say im British and i am so i can see why you got pissed at that! Atleast your country is known and popular though :P

I know it's in the UK, but probably couldn't point to it on a map.

BTW, could you point to where Wyoming is?

How about South Carolina?

Arkansas?

Connecticut?

Vermont?

Am aware of Wales and it being a part of the UK. Just couldn't really pick it out on a map, I guess. Why don't you tell us more about it, you know, population and stuff? I know I could google it but while we're talking about it you might as well...

Also, is Tom Jones big over there? Or just in the U.S.?

British to me is just English with a different flag. I dont like to say im British and i am so i can see why you got pissed at that! Atleast your country is known and popular though :P

I hate being called british lol. I prefer to be called English. Its strange but people in the countries that are in britain are very patriotic, for example my Mum is from Rep of Ireland but has lived in england for most of her life but is still adamant that you call he irish lol

Am aware of Wales and it being a part of the UK. Just couldn't really pick it out on a map' date=' I guess. Why don't you tell us more about it, you know, population and stuff? I know I could google it but while we're talking about it you might as well...

Also, is Tom Jones big over there? Or just in the U.S.?[/quote']

Cardiff used to be one of the biggest coal exporters in the world. The Welsh rugby team is made up of drunks or gays but are awesome and Joe Calzaghe is Welsh, also if youve ever heard of Nathan Cleverly hes welsh and a promising young boxer. No MMA stars to talk of but Joseph Duffy on the newest TUF (GSP v Kos) was born in Ireland but lived in Wales all his life and trained here. population is about 3 million

Yes hes HUGE here its like a national holiday on his birthday (not really but youd think it lol)

I hate being called british lol. I prefer to be called English. Its strange but people in the countries that are in britain are very patriotic' date=' for example my Mum is from Rep of Ireland but has lived in england for most of her life but is still adamant that you call he irish lol[/quote']

Us irish are always *****ing about the english but at the end of the day we all have relations living there and england is always the first place we go to when a recession hits to find work.

Cardiff used to be one of the biggest coal exporters in the world. The Welsh rugby team is made up of drunks or gays but are awesome and Joe Calzaghe is Welsh' date=' also if youve ever heard of Nathan Cleverly hes welsh and a promising young boxer. No MMA stars to talk of but Joseph Duffy on the newest TUF (GSP v Kos) was born in Ireland but lived in Wales all his life and trained here. population is about 3 million

Yes hes HUGE here its like a national holiday on his birthday (not really but youd think it lol)[/quote']

Wales, where you can find the toughest gays in the world.

Or at least the only gay in the village.

I hate being called british lol. I prefer to be called English. Its strange but people in the countries that are in britain are very patriotic' date=' for example my Mum is from Rep of Ireland but has lived in england for most of her life but is still adamant that you call he irish lol[/quote']

So is it wrong for us to use the term British in referring to you guys? Or it just annoys you personally?

So is it wrong for us to use the term British in referring to you guys? Or it just annoys you personally?

If your speaking to an Irish, Welsh or Scottish person then yeah its not wrong but they wont like it much but if there English then its fine usually ive never heard and English person complain about being called British

Archived