Do you think any MMA fighter will leave a legacy like Muhamad Ali??

CyberSlayer

Yes, there is one....

Mustapha Al-Turk

MMA is my favorite sport' date='but I have yet to see an MMA fighter to show the kind of greatness & ability to shake up the world as Ali..So do you think there will be an MMA fighter to match Ali's greatness??If there is who would it be??[/quote']

No one can make an impact like ali outside of the ring unless the person with the answer to global warming or the cure for cancer is a mma fighter.

But someday there will be a fighter who will eclipse Fedor,tyson,ali who will win every one of his fights by stoppage and will end up fighting all the best fighters in the world.(no cans)

I hate to say this but....

Brock

Either him or Anderson Silva. They are the closest MMA has to the great Ali.

MMA is just too young of a sport to have anyone like that though. In 20-50 years more, we will have plenty of fighters like Ali if the sport hasn't had any drastic changes.

Fedor could have if he didn't ***** out against Werdum and signed with the UFC becoming HW champ.

And if he spoke English. Without the ability to communicate adequately to the world at large even the greatest fighters will never become worldwide phenomena like Ali. His mouth was half his draw.

Ali wasnt the best boxer in history. He is just memorable because of his story and his incredible skill to talk. People call him the greatest because thats what he called himself.

Its not like someone like Wayne Gretzky who earned the title. If James Toney becomes the HW champ, and holds it for awhile... he would be the closest to Ali (although complete opposite fighting styles)

Ali was mainly so big because of his charisma and skill together.

Ali could be considered the greatest but not the best.

A.Silva IMO is the closest to MMA's Ali.

Silva is not even close to Ali, Ali is one of the most famous men in the world. Anderson Silva is known only to a tiny tiny fraction of the amount of people that know the name Ali. And with only rudimentary English and an unappealing personality Silva will never be much more than he is now. It took 100 years to come up with an Ali in boxing. It may take that long for MMA too.

Ali wasnt the best boxer in history. He is just memorable because of his story and his incredible skill to talk. People call him the greatest because thats what he called himself.

Its not like someone like Wayne Gretzky who earned the title. If James Toney becomes the HW champ' date=' and holds it for awhile... he would be the closest to Ali (although complete opposite fighting styles)[/quote']

He was memorable for a LOT more than that. Just the fact you could say something that ignorant shows you couldn't have been around and a boxing fan in those days. So either your opinion is uneducated or you are purely talking out of your ****.

Who knows, I would assume so, but we'll have to wait until there's a generation or two of retired greats to talk about who was truly incredible in their time. Anderson Silva seems to be on his way to leaving that kind of legacy in terms of talent, but most of Ali's legacy comes from what he did outside of the ring. I feel like of the fighters we have right now, Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre are the ones on their way to leaving behind an incredible legacy.

Silva could be close. You need those rivalries and the perseverance and I think we have that with Sonnen. I hope to see a badass trilogy' date=' the first fight was already one of my favorites all time.

That or maybe Jon Jones, but it's way to early to peg him with that.[/quote']

I agree. you need the rivalry that Ali and Frazier had. Ali overcame loses and have tough fights. Silva has really hod one tough fight in the UFC. and in 2011 we'll see what happens with the rematch

Silva is the closest thing to Ali, it would be more exciting if he ran his mouth like Sonnen does.

maybe some day. It's going to be hard for anyone to be a great as Ali. You have to dominate at your prime, then have a 3 fight slug fest with one of the best ever. Then you got to win a fight vs a dude no one think you have any chance at beating. On top of that you gotta be a media god. It would be like combine Randy (come back, impossible wins) , Anderson Silva(unreal talent), Fedor(Heavy weight Champ) and Chael Sonnen (Trash talking king) all into 1 fighter.

MMA is my favorite sport' date='but I have yet to see an MMA fighter to show the kind of greatness & ability to shake up the world as Ali..So do you think there will be an MMA fighter to match Ali's greatness??If there is who would it be??[/quote']

Ali's greatness was not just limited to the confines of the ring. He challanged the US government who stripped him of his title, and won both in court then in the ring later against a young mean George Foreman. He is an Icon for the civil rights movement. MMA can have big names. They can have legends, but no one can take Ali's pedistal. If you look to fighters from other countries, you may find those of high standing and praise, but it would take more than just a few wins to shake up the world.

if anderson keeps dominating till retirement hell go down as the UFC greatest. but will never be up there with Ali. anderson silva just doesnt talk enough he doesnt have famous qoutes. Chuck liddell cant because everyone just remembers him gettting knocked the **** out now. Ali made that legacy with words and skill but if he had that skill but didnt really talk only boxing fans would really remember him. you have to sell yourself in this biz i think, IF chael sonnen didnt have so many loses and would have beat A. silva he would be on his way but he didnt. Chael will always be rememberd as the guy who almost beat Anderson Silva.

i disagree' date=' even though im not a fan Anderson Silva is MMA's Ali hands down.[/quote']

Smart man if the UFC was more Popular then everyone would talk about Silva the way they did about Ali, Tyson, ext... Once the UFC establish its self as the top of Fighting Competition then all fighters will be measured by MMA standards rather than Boxing. Boxing hands down is dead I only really want to watch one fighter and thats Manny P. Other then that the sport is dead in my opinion.

Ali's greatness came both in and outside of the ring. Everyone in America, and millions upon millions around the world knew of Muhamad Ali.

No MMA fighter, and very very few athletes over the last 2-3 decades, have come close to having the same impact on their sport, politics, or social consciousness.

MMA is still new to most fans and viewers. When Ali started Boxing was one of the biggest sports in the world and was global. MMA is just getting there. The Chuck Liddells, Randy, Royce and the other greats that made this sport a house hold name will not get the Ali status becasue they will never be seen by the global media.

As others have said, Ali was a topic of conversation whether you watched boxing or not.

Ali's greatness came both in and outside of the ring. Everyone in America' date=' and millions upon millions around the world knew of Muhamad Ali.

No MMA fighter, and very very few athletes over the last 2-3 decades, have come close to having the same impact on their sport, politics, or social consciousness.[/quote']

great comment...

No American athlete in any sport will ever have the social and cultural impact of Ali. He is the Greatest for far more than just in ring accomplishments, though on that level alone he is nearly unrivaled in all of boxing.

It would take a Palestinan athlete bringing peace to the Middle East after winning the LHW champinship 3 times against never before seen levels of competition, or a Burmese Hmung villager freeing the people of Burma form the left over Red communist regime, or Nick Diaz leading the charge in America for the legalization of pot.....

Just not gonna happen.

My first thought was Fedor because of his long list of quality fighters he has fought throughout the years. But, I'm going to change my answer to no body. MMA wasn't really main stream into sports until the past few years. Once MMA has been built in the mainstream media's psyche, then mixed martial artists have an opportunity to shine as the next Ali. As someone mentioned earlier, Ali was known for his charisma and skill. Fedor is not really charismatic and neither is Anderson Silva. Those two focus so much on being respectful typically (not always). Same thing with GSP - he's too respectful.

Not saying this is a bad thing to be respectful, but it doesn't sell fights. The thing that sells fights are that they are very good/skilled mixed martial artists. Ali actually backed up his talk too. That's what made his future words speak even greater volume.

Fedor is the Ali of Russia.

There won;t be another Ali in this neck of the woods. We are different people now.

Maybe in his village in the mountains, but not nationwide in Russia at all.

Cro-Cop in Croatia would be a better comparison.

But no one will have the worldwide impact of Ali.

No one can make an impact like ali outside of the ring unless the person with the answer to global warming or the cure for cancer is a mma fighter.

But someday there will be a fighter who will eclipse Fedor' date='tyson,ali who will win every one of his fights by stoppage and will end up fighting all the best fighters in the world.(no cans)[/quote']

Actually winning all your fights by stoppage has nothing to do with Ali or why he was great or why people loved him.

1. Fedor, hands down #1. Legend. Most dominant human ever.

2. Wanderlei, obviously. Legend. One of the most dominant fighters ever.

3. Anderson, obviously. Soon to be legend. One of the most dominant fighters ever. I'm not a fan of Anderson's, but there is no denying his skill and dominance.

Archived