Why Bisping Will beat Aikyama

TwinkleToesTommy

ufc120-sched.jpg

I wouldn’t call myself a fan of the UFC’s UK posterboy Michael Bisping, but perhaps you could call me a bit of an advocate. More and more nowadays I see people completely disregarding his talent and forecasting doom on every single one of his fights. Here’s a more concrete example: back in the days and weeks leading up to UFC 110, people were practically screaming that Wanderlei Silva would murder Bisping, and some see the victory as a dominant performance by “The Axe Murderer” to this day. In truth, it was a very close fight that perhaps Wanderlei only won by closing out the rounds with go-for-broke flurries. Regardless of how you scored Silva/Bisping, once again I’m hearing how Bisping is going to be no match for his opponent, this time Yoshihiro Akiyama, when the two meet at the upcoming UFC 120 event. And that’s just not true.

I think the main problem with Michael Bisping is that his attitude overshadows his attributes. I don’t want to call anybody xenophobic, but maybe we should admit to ourselves that it’s easier to hate a ****y Brit than a lot of other ****y fighters? Some people loved Chael Sonnen’s antics, some people loved Brock Lesnar’s. But it seems like almost every American fan is unified in hating Michael Bisping for his ****y, brash attitude. It’s very easy to embellish the losses and understate the victories of a fighter you passionately hate, and quite a lot of people really can’t stand Michael Bisping.

But Bisping has far more experience inside the Octagon than Akiyama. It’s true that both men started fighting in 2004, but Bisping has a whopping twelve UFC fights to Akiyama’s two. Bisping’s record stands at 9-3 inside the world’s best and biggest MMA promotion, Akiyama’s is 1-1. And if you argue that Bisping should be 8-4, resurrecting the zombified corpse that is the Matt Hamill vs. Michael Bisping fight, then you must also take into consideration that Akiyama should be 0-2, as his debut win against Alan Belcher at UFC 100 was not without its own fair share of controversy. Bisping has fought some of the best Middleweights and Light Heavyweights in the UFC, and even if he’s lost a time or two, that experience has propelled him to continually refine himself and emerge a better overall performer each time he’s faced adversity. Now that Akiyama has tasted defeat in a big way via a loss to Chris Leben’s fight-stealing Triangle Choke at UFC 116, it will be interesting to see if Akiyama has such rebirths in him.

I’d also argue that Michael Bisping has better striking than Yoshihiro Akiyama. It’s true that, in the eyes of many, Akiyama got the better of heavy-handed striker Chris Leben in their recent fight, but Leben and Bisping have very different styles. And did you know that, despite being known for his striking far more than Michael Bisping, both Bisping and Leben actually have the same number of (T)KO’s on their records? And after the particularly humbling KO loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100, Bisping’s striking has gone up several levels. Against Dennis Kang it looked unstoppable, against Dan Miller it looked inescapable, and despite it failing him in the Wanderlei Silva fight, Bisping held his own in a predominantly stand-up fight with one of the best strikers MMA has ever seen.

Now, this is not to say that Michael Bisping is invincible, or that Akiyama is without skill. The title says “probably beat”, not “will beat”. In fact, if this article convinces you that Bisping has at least some chance, rather than none, then I’ll consider it a success. In truth, I like both of these guys. I think this will be an awesome fight, and while I can grudgingly admit that it’s a less-than-stellar main event for a PPV card, it’s a very solid fight and a great main event for British fans, where Bisping is most famous. Bisping is simply deserving of a lot more credit than I see being given to him leading into this fight.

But what do you think, fans and friends? How good of a chance does Bisping have to beat Akiyama?

Get a grip Bisping haters.

http://www.fighters.com/08/27/why-michael-bisping-will-probably-beat-yoshihiro-akiyama

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think he has a better chance than most people are giving him. im not a particular fan of either man, though i love saying sexyama/yourmamayama. I actually see this fight being much like Akyama vs Belcher at ufc 100, with sexy winning a split decision in the FOTN. you bring up many good points, but thats just my opinion. i guess we'll have to wait and find out huh? ;)

i think he has a better chance than most people are giving him. im not a particular fan of either man' date=' though i love saying sexyama/yourmamayama. I actually see this fight being much like Akyama vs Belcher at ufc 100, with sexy winning a split decision in the FOTN[/quote']

Aikiyama will gas and Bisping will take over the fight. Bisping by TKO 2nd or 3rd. Gonna be a hell of a fight eitehr way.

ufc120-sched.jpg

I wouldn’t call myself a fan of the UFC’s UK posterboy Michael Bisping' date=' but perhaps you could call me a bit of an advocate. More and more nowadays I see people completely disregarding his talent and forecasting doom on every single one of his fights. Here’s a more concrete example: back in the days and weeks leading up to UFC 110, people were practically screaming that Wanderlei Silva would murder Bisping, and some see the victory as a dominant performance by “The Axe Murderer” to this day. In truth, it was a very close fight that perhaps Wanderlei only won by closing out the rounds with go-for-broke flurries. Regardless of how you scored Silva/Bisping, once again I’m hearing how Bisping is going to be no match for his opponent, this time Yoshihiro Akiyama, when the two meet at the upcoming UFC 120 event. And that’s just not true.

I think the main problem with Michael Bisping is that his attitude overshadows his attributes. I don’t want to call anybody xenophobic, but maybe we should admit to ourselves that it’s easier to hate a ****y Brit than a lot of other ****y fighters? Some people loved Chael Sonnen’s antics, some people loved Brock Lesnar’s. But it seems like almost every American fan is unified in hating Michael Bisping for his ****y, brash attitude. It’s very easy to embellish the losses and understate the victories of a fighter you passionately hate, and quite a lot of people really can’t stand Michael Bisping.

But Bisping has far more experience inside the Octagon than Akiyama. It’s true that both men started fighting in 2004, but Bisping has a whopping twelve UFC fights to Akiyama’s two. Bisping’s record stands at 9-3 inside the world’s best and biggest MMA promotion, Akiyama’s is 1-1. And if you argue that Bisping should be 8-4, resurrecting the zombified corpse that is the Matt Hamill vs. Michael Bisping fight, then you must also take into consideration that Akiyama should be 0-2, as his debut win against Alan Belcher at UFC 100 was not without its own fair share of controversy. Bisping has fought some of the best Middleweights and Light Heavyweights in the UFC, and even if he’s lost a time or two, that experience has propelled him to continually refine himself and emerge a better overall performer each time he’s faced adversity. Now that Akiyama has tasted defeat in a big way via a loss to Chris Leben’s fight-stealing Triangle Choke at UFC 116, it will be interesting to see if Akiyama has such rebirths in him.

I’d also argue that Michael Bisping has better striking than Yoshihiro Akiyama. It’s true that, in the eyes of many, Akiyama got the better of heavy-handed striker Chris Leben in their recent fight, but Leben and Bisping have very different styles. And did you know that, despite being known for his striking far more than Michael Bisping, both Bisping and Leben actually have the same number of (T)KO’s on their records? And after the particularly humbling KO loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100, Bisping’s striking has gone up several levels. Against Dennis Kang it looked unstoppable, against Dan Miller it looked inescapable, and despite it failing him in the Wanderlei Silva fight, Bisping held his own in a predominantly stand-up fight with one of the best strikers MMA has ever seen.

Now, this is not to say that Michael Bisping is invincible, or that Akiyama is without skill. The title says “probably beat”, not “will beat”. In fact, if this article convinces you that Bisping has at least some chance, rather than none, then I’ll consider it a success. In truth, I like both of these guys. I think this will be an awesome fight, and while I can grudgingly admit that it’s a less-than-stellar main event for a PPV card, it’s a very solid fight and a great main event for British fans, where Bisping is most famous. Bisping is simply deserving of a lot more credit than I see being given to him leading into this fight.

But what do you think, fans and friends? How good of a chance does Bisping have to beat Akiyama?

Get a grip Bisping haters.[/quote']

2010-04-08_21.36.08-750796.jpeg

Cool story bro!

As much as I like Sexyama (I mean just look at him, who couldn't like that guy?) I do somewhat agree with you on this one. I got Bisping FTW.

But this depends on of he can get away from his newly aquired tendency to go looking for a KO. He needs to revert to what brought him to the table. he has excellent footwork, fast and accurate hands, and his TKO's come from a multitude of punches in bunches, not big power shots which for some reason he seems to have fallen in love with. In the Silva fight he never put combos together and didn't put enough point space between them which allowed Wandi to steal rounds with the flurries at the end. But it was pretty obvious to anyone who recognizes what they are actually seeing that Bisping was lighter on his feet and the more technically accurate striker.

He is also a pretty intelligent dude and can learn from his errors. I can see him coming into this fight and simply outworking and outpointing Akiyama for a UD. Akiyama is tough as nails though so I doubt Bisping will finish him.

And not all us American hate him simply because he is a Brit. The fact is that just like with Frank Mir most of the American fanbase just don't get their intelligent and dry sense of humor, especially with Bisping's very British humor.

As much as I like Sexyama (I mean just look at him' date=' who couldn't like that guy?) I do somewhat agree with you on this one. I got Bisping FTW.

But this depends on of he can get away from his newly aquired tendency to go looking for a KO. He needs to revert to what brought him to the table. he has excellent footwork, fast and accurate hands, and his TKO's come from a multitude of punches in bunches, not big power shots which for some reason he seems to have fallen in love with. In the Silva fight he never put combos together and didn't put enough point space between them which allowed Wandi to steal rounds with the flurries at the end. But it was pretty obvious to anyone who recognizes what they are actually seeing that Bisping was lighter on his feet and the more technically accurate striker.

He is also a pretty intelligent dude and can learn from his errors. I can see him coming into this fight and simply outworking and outpointing Akiyama for a UD. Akiyama is tough as nails though so I doubt Bisping will finish him.

And not all us American hate him simply because he is a Brit. The fact is that just like with Frank Mir most of the American fanbase just don't get their intelligent and dry sense of humor, especially with Bisping's very British humor.[/quote']

You are 100% right on this.

you are dumb you may like bisping' date=' but he is nowhere near top 10 in any rankings list, except for the "biggest can kicker, fighter that can't beat talent, and worst recipiant of a knockout, and pillow fisted fighters"[/quote']

your just a low life hater he is in around number 7 in the top 10 moron, and this fight will jsut prove you wrong agian, you no nothing of MMA, get out.

And did you know that, despite being known for his striking far more than Michael Bisping, both Bisping and Leben actually have the same number of (T)KO’s on their records?

Had to laugh at this line.

Leben has numerous straight up 1 punch KOs INSIDE the UFC octagon. The only KO Bisping has seen in the UFC is the tape of Dan Henderson knocking him silly.

up a speeling error' date=' your just gonna have to suck it up. Enjoy your ban if you dont stop trolling my threads.[/quote']

Tommy, deep breaths and chill. Remember what we talked about. 120 is in October, and if Bisping wins, then you get to create your very own "I told you so" thread! Until then, don't worry about pics and gifs of history.

Had to laugh at this line.

Leben has numerous straight up 1 punch KOs INSIDE the UFC octagon. The only KO Bisping has seen in the UFC is the tape of Dan Henderson knocking him silly.

Bisping has KO'S and TKO'S on his record, he pounded his opponents so bad they had to stop the fight for there heath, I geuss thats not good enough for you lol.

Tommy' date=' deep breaths and chill. Remember what we talked about. 120 is in October, and if Bisping wins, then you get to create your very own "I told you so" thread! Until then, don't worry about pics and gifs of history.[/quote']

yes but Hammer this is a brand new thread and trust me i will make much more than a I told you so thread, BELIVE ME!!!

akiyama will do to him what hendo did lo probrem

http://musicismyhothotsex.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Peter_Chao.JPG[/img]

Haha, look another troll has arived, we will see october 16th alright? You think Bisping will get KO'ed every time he fights? If so your are sadly mistaken. You will be a very disapointed noob at the end of the night of the fight.

ufc120-sched.jpg

I wouldn?t call myself a fan of the UFC?s UK posterboy Michael Bisping' date=' but perhaps you could call me a bit of an advocate. More and more nowadays I see people completely disregarding his talent and forecasting doom on every single one of his fights. Here?s a more concrete example: back in the days and weeks leading up to UFC 110, people were practically screaming that Wanderlei Silva would murder Bisping, and some see the victory as a dominant performance by ?The Axe Murderer? to this day. In truth, it was a very close fight that perhaps Wanderlei only won by closing out the rounds with go-for-broke flurries. Regardless of how you scored Silva/Bisping, once again I?m hearing how Bisping is going to be no match for his opponent, this time Yoshihiro Akiyama, when the two meet at the upcoming UFC 120 event. And that?s just not true.

I think the main problem with Michael Bisping is that his attitude overshadows his attributes. I don?t want to call anybody xenophobic, but maybe we should admit to ourselves that it?s easier to hate a ****y Brit than a lot of other ****y fighters? Some people loved Chael Sonnen?s antics, some people loved Brock Lesnar?s. But it seems like almost every American fan is unified in hating Michael Bisping for his ****y, brash attitude. It?s very easy to embellish the losses and understate the victories of a fighter you passionately hate, and quite a lot of people really can?t stand Michael Bisping.

But Bisping has far more experience inside the Octagon than Akiyama. It?s true that both men started fighting in 2004, but Bisping has a whopping twelve UFC fights to Akiyama?s two. Bisping?s record stands at 9-3 inside the world?s best and biggest MMA promotion, Akiyama?s is 1-1. And if you argue that Bisping should be 8-4, resurrecting the zombified corpse that is the Matt Hamill vs. Michael Bisping fight, then you must also take into consideration that Akiyama should be 0-2, as his debut win against Alan Belcher at UFC 100 was not without its own fair share of controversy. Bisping has fought some of the best Middleweights and Light Heavyweights in the UFC, and even if he?s lost a time or two, that experience has propelled him to continually refine himself and emerge a better overall performer each time he?s faced adversity. Now that Akiyama has tasted defeat in a big way via a loss to Chris Leben?s fight-stealing Triangle Choke at UFC 116, it will be interesting to see if Akiyama has such rebirths in him.

I?d also argue that Michael Bisping has better striking than Yoshihiro Akiyama. It?s true that, in the eyes of many, Akiyama got the better of heavy-handed striker Chris Leben in their recent fight, but Leben and Bisping have very different styles. And did you know that, despite being known for his striking far more than Michael Bisping, both Bisping and Leben actually have the same number of (T)KO?s on their records? And after the particularly humbling KO loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100, Bisping?s striking has gone up several levels. Against Dennis Kang it looked unstoppable, against Dan Miller it looked inescapable, and despite it failing him in the Wanderlei Silva fight, Bisping held his own in a predominantly stand-up fight with one of the best strikers MMA has ever seen.

Now, this is not to say that Michael Bisping is invincible, or that Akiyama is without skill. The title says ?probably beat?, not ?will beat?. In fact, if this article convinces you that Bisping has at least some chance, rather than none, then I?ll consider it a success. In truth, I like both of these guys. I think this will be an awesome fight, and while I can grudgingly admit that it?s a less-than-stellar main event for a PPV card, it?s a very solid fight and a great main event for British fans, where Bisping is most famous. Bisping is simply deserving of a lot more credit than I see being given to him leading into this fight.

Get a grip Bisping haters.

http://www.fighters.com/08/27/why-michael-bisping-will-probably-beat-yoshihiro-akiyama[/quote']

It is Bispings complete and total lack of ability to inflict injury that relegates him to the also-ran status.

Bisping is a great fighter, but he's a jack-of-all-trades. Meaning that he doesn't excel at anything. Don't get me wrong, he's a good boxer with good ground skills, good all round fighter. But what all of the elite have is that one area of the game that makes them elite. GSP is extremely well rounded but is elite with his Wrestling and athleticism. Silva, as much as every single retard on this site is gonna argue that Sonnen proved different, Silva is an elite striker, primarily Muay Thai, and what he did prove against the one trick pony wrestler, is that he does have elite submissions from his back. Rua is an vicious Muay Thai striker and his pressure is elite. Machida was elite because of his Karate. Lesnar is elite because of his power. What is Bisping elite at? Lacking punching power? Strike avoidance with minimal countering ability?

if you dont agree with me fine, Just dont troll my threads, or you will be baned also. You say my threads suck but you have your **** glued to every one i make. Like i said before your a bad troll.

Just out classed Wand in striking most of the fight and had like 4 or 5 takedowns. Submission attempts dont score points either.

Yes submission attempts do score points moron... But he far from out classed wandy, he was nearly finished three times and if you ask me the end of the 3rd round the ref was nice and didn't call the fight a tko since the bell was right about to ring.

Bisping is a great fighter' date=' but he's a jack-of-all-trades. Meaning that he doesn't excel at anything. Don't get me wrong, he's a good boxer with good ground skills, good all round fighter. But what all of the elite have is that one area of the game that makes them elite. GSP is extremely well rounded but is elite with his Wrestling and athleticism. Silva, as much as every single retard on this site is gonna argue that Sonnen proved different, Silva is an elite striker, primarily Muay Thai, and what he did prove against the one trick pony wrestler, is that he does have elite submissions from his back. Rua is an vicious Muay Thai striker and his pressure is elite. Machida was elite because of his Karate. Lesnar is elite because of his power. What is Bisping elite at? Lacking punching power? Strike avoidance with minimal countering ability?[/quote']

He is elite at kickboxing TDD and ground defence.

Yes submission attempts do score points moron... But he far from out classed wandy' date=' he was nearly finished three times and if you ask me the end of the 3rd round the ref was nice and didn't call the fight a tko since the bell was right about to ring.[/quote']

Nope Bisping was getting up, he grazed him with a shot in round one (LOL) and he failed at a submission attempt.

Archived