UFC vs. Boxing?

Epilogue1406051983

*watching weigh-ins*

The "debate" is only over when Couture steps into the boxing ring with Toney... :rolleyes:

i see what you did right there haha

really i dont see the boxing vs MMA thing really

sure Toney os a boxing star and Randy is a MMA God but as soon as Toney Steps into the octagon he is a MMA star so there is no rivalry between the sports really!

*watching weigh-ins*

The "debate" is only over when Couture steps into the boxing ring with Toney... :rolleyes:

Couture isn't on the same level in MMA as Toney is in boxing. If athletes of these sports can move horizontally, then Toney should beat Couture in both fights. If boxing is better than MMA then Toney should beat Couture in both fights. If MMA is better than boxing than couture should beat Toney in MMA, and hold his own in boxing. If it's like normal sports, and athletes aren't able to easily move horizontally, then Randy should beat Toney in MMA fairly easily, and Toney should beat Randy in boxing fairly easily.

MMA fans are just want to see Randy prove that fight sports are different enough that James Toney can't walk in and dominate MMA. We have no desire to prove MMA fighters are better than boxers. At this point in time I think most of us know that isn't true. Our guys don't have the same earning power, and they don't have the same money to put into training.

can we not debate this at all.

MMA = fighting with a few rules in a cage.

BOXING = fighting with your fists for 3 minute rounds using your hands and nothing else.

James Toney vs Randy Couture is NOT a BOXING vs MMA fight.

Its a cage fight with a few rules and both have certain skillsets.

James Toney ha great hands vs a guy with a great wrestling skillset.

Can we NOT have this MMA vs BOXING thing anymore, thats just what youve been lead to believe by the medias AWFUL hype for this fight.

The media just about destroyed Fedor's career with thier crap awful Last Emporer stuff, just to market him in America. How dare they do that to a guy that is a great fighter and turn him into some mythical creature to buy a few more newspapers.

Lets not have this MMA vs BOXING thing go to our heads. yeah? its a sales tool, thats WORKING on some of you.

Its a cage fight like any other, BUT we have an exceptional boxer fighting a great wrestler in a figh that has only a few rules in it.

And its going to be AWESOME.

Dana White should publicly apologize to boxers and make it official that this is NOT a MMA vs BOXING fight. Its a fight in a cage with a champion boxer involved. Because its getting as STUPID as the whole Fedor mythical creature thing.

IMO I think kimbo slice is gonna do pretty well in boxing thats been his game in MMA pretty much.

If you are serious with this point then I want you to get up from your computer. Go outside your house/apartment/flat/wherever and bang your head on a wall 3 times.

But in all seriousness Kimbo Slice has power, but he just doesn't have the boxing technique that top boxers spend decades perfecting. I do respect Kimbo, but ultimately he's a street brawler, and a brawler would get counter-punched to death even at the very low levels of pro boxing.

If you are serious with this point then I want you to get up from your computer. Go outside your house/apartment/flat/wherever and bang your head on a wall 3 times.

But in all seriousness Kimbo Slice has power' date=' but he just doesn't have the boxing technique that top boxers spend decades perfecting. I do respect Kimbo, but ultimately he's a street brawler, and a brawler would get counter-punched to death even at the very low levels of pro boxing.[/quote']

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5501435

Hes working on all that right now. I said i think he'd do pretty well not be a top boxer. His power is what makes me think he'd do pretty well in boxing along with the training hes getting right now i think he can win a few matches. In no way do i think kimbo can win a decision in boxing because hes far behind like you said but winning by KO is very possible for him. Hes got the power now hes working on the tech.

I really don't give a damn if you think i should bang my head for that comment. Since you wanna give me your 10 cents heres mine. STFU with the bs and keep it real.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5501435

Hes working on all that right now. I said i think he'd do pretty well not be a top boxer. His power is what makes me think he'd do pretty well in boxing along with the training hes getting right now i think he can win a few matches. In no way do i think kimbo can win a decision in boxing because hes far behind like you said but winning by KO is very possible for him. Hes got the power now hes working on the tech.

I really don't give a damn if you think i should bang my head for that comment. Since you wanna give me your 10 cents heres mine. STFU with the bs and keep it real.

Haha, sorry dude it was only a joke. I didn't mean to offend.

I just can't see someone like Kimbo succeeding in boxing. It's a completely different world to MMA. In MMA, it's enough to have a lot of power in your hands and you don't always need a crisp technique. I think Shane Carwin would be the first to tell you that his technique isn't that great but he only needs to clip you once and you're in trouble.

Pro boxing is just a very different world though. I'm glad to see that Kimbo is working on disciplined striking, but a leopard can't change its spots, particularly at his age. He'll always be an aggressive striker and he'll be fighting guys who have perfected their timing and head movement to make sure that they don't get hit by the more powerful, aggressive and slow handed guys like Kimbo. If pro boxing is what he decides to do with himself, then best of luck to him. I'm sure he'll get a few favourable match-ups to start off with in order to pad his record a bit and make some money out of the Kimbo Slice brand. But ultimately I just can't see him holding his own even in the lowest levels of pro boxing once he comes up against someone who he can't hit.

yeah I mean I don't really understand the whole "debate". I mean.. it's a MMA fight. And Toney has been training wrestling and TD defence every day for months now. So he'll be doing MMA, not only boxing. That will completly miss the point of a supposed "MMA vs Boxing". Even if Toney gets to avoid randy's TDs, it won't be a proof that a pure boxer would be able to stand in the octagon with a pro MMA fighter. Actually, the mere fact that Toney had to train grappling is like if he just admitted that his boxing alone couldn't get him the win.

yeah I mean I don't really understand the whole "debate". I mean.. it's a MMA fight. And Toney has been training wrestling and TD defence every day for months now. So he'll be doing MMA' date=' not only boxing. That will completly miss the point of a supposed "MMA vs Boxing". Even if Toney gets to avoid randy's TDs, it won't be a proof that a pure boxer would be able to stand in the octagon with a pro MMA fighter. [b']Actually, the mere fact that Toney had to train grappling is like if he just admitted that his boxing alone couldn't get him the win[/b].

Very good point. The more I think about it, the more I can't help but think that the whole boxing vs MMA thing has completely come from the UFC marketing department and doesn't really reflect Toney or Couture's opinions on the fight.

Very good point. The more I think about it' date=' the more I can't help but think that the whole boxing vs MMA thing has completely come from the UFC marketing department and doesn't really reflect Toney or Couture's opinions on the fight.[/quote']

I bet boxing will call it Boxing Vs MMA when Kimbo steps in the ring and that'd be even more stupid for obvious reasons.

Archived