Davis on boxing in MMA: Toney has little shot and Noons not a UFC fighter

Jeff83

In anticipation of UFC 118, boxer versus grappler has been talk all week long . James Toney will try to pull the upset on Randy Couture. But don't forget the card also features Marcus Davis against Nate Diaz. If there's anyone who understands how hard the transition is from the ring to the cage, it's Davis.

There was a time when Davis was in Toney's position. No, he was never on the level that Toney has been in boxing but after 18 pro bouts wearing the big gloves, Davis moved over to MMA. Since he possessed only one legitimate weapon, Davis was in over his head during Season 2 of "The Ultimate Fighter".

"There's nothing that James Toney can do to Randy Couture other than punch him and knock him out," Davis told Hardcore Sports Radio (audio). "He's basically going into this fight completely one-dimensional."

"Randy will do what he wants to do to him," said Davis. "There's five ranges of fighting - kicking, punching, trapping, grappling and ground fighting. Those are five different ways a fight can be fought at and all Randy has to do is shutdown the punching range. That's it! And that's easy to do especially for somebody when this is all that they ever do."

Davis knows first hand what it's like to bring so few weapons to the Octagon. It was so bad for him on TUF 2 and then the TUF 2 Finale, he was close to walking away from the sport. And that was against MMA prospects. Toney is facing a 13-year veteran of the sport.

"His first professional MMA fight, his first one, is going to be against one of the greats," said Davis. "That's like me just jumping into professional basketball and playing a game of one-on-one against Michael Jordan. It's just not gonna happen."

That's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point.

Toney has also talked about facing Brock Lesnar if he wins on Saturday night and says that he's still balancing a boxing career. Davis said that's not possible. Then host Mauro Ranallo threw out Strikeforce fighter K.J. Noons as an example. Noons (10-2 MMA) has also boxed professionally 13 times. Davis wasn't impressed.

"If he came to the UFC in the 155-pound division, he would be eaten up and spit out. He wouldn't make it here," said Davis. "He wouldn't be able to come in here and box and fight MMA, wouldn't happen."

Aside from pro boxing careers, Davis and Toney share one other thing in common, they both celebrated a birthday on Tuesday. Davis, 37 said he expects a better birthday gift on Saturday night than Toney, 42, will be getting.

By Steve Cofield

4-1 doesn't sound too good for Toney.

Did anyone see the weigh ins?

What a complete joke!

Um' date=' a former boxer turned to MMA disussing another former boxer turned to MMA? Ya, what is he thinking sharing [i']his[/i] opinion, retard.

hey smart guy. I was referring to his lack of relevance in the division.

good try though...

I appreciate the thought behind it.

It's funny how people knock Toney for being pretty much one-dimensional, but yet a guy like Dos Santos (whom is one of my favourites) gets nothing but praise for his striking - which, from a technical perspective, is not even on par with Toney.

Hilarious. People don't seem to think things through when they start firing off nonsense......

WTF is Davis talkin bout? Noons has KO/TKO wins over Edson Berto' date=' Yves Edwards & Nick Diaz. Maybe Davis is butt-hurt about Gurgel gettin owned. Did you see that hook Noons dropped JG with in the 1st?[/quote']

That fight was just domination.

I don't know what was up with that knee though... still trying to figure that one out... even my wife was like "isn't that illegal" haha

That fight was just domination.

I don't know what was up with that knee though... still trying to figure that one out... even my wife was like "isn't that illegal" haha

Yeah man that knee was ****ed up.

Still have no idea why they didn't just call the fight after the first I mean once you get KO'd you almost always get KO'd again right after.

Yeah man that knee was ****ed up.

Still have no idea why they didn't just call the fight after the first I mean once you get KO'd you almost always get KO'd again right after.

I was pretty surprised Gurgel was able to answer the bell for the 2nd round.... he got floored

It's funny how people knock Toney for being pretty much one-dimensional' date=' but yet a guy like Dos Santos (whom is one of my favourites) gets nothing but praise for his striking - which, from a technical perspective, is not even on par with Toney.

Hilarious. People don't seem to think things through when they start firing off nonsense......[/quote']

Yeah, your right, but people knock Toney for coming in thinking he can beat everyone with no MMA experience. Dos Santos has a good amount of experience against top opposition. When Toney gets a few fights with big knockouts on his record then everyone will praise him. But yeah Davis sounds dumb here.

It's funny how people knock Toney for being pretty much one-dimensional' date=' but yet a guy like Dos Santos (whom is one of my favourites) gets nothing but praise for his striking - which, from a technical perspective, is not even on par with Toney.

Hilarious. People don't seem to think things through when they start firing off nonsense......[/quote']

Obviously JDS decides to box, but being a brown belt in BJJ, snuffing takedowns, and occasionally showing he can kick, kinda makes him not one dimensional.

I think I ripped Steve cofields **** hole for criticizing Anderson silva on his unwillingness to hype the fight & talk to the media. Saying that the business side comes first & then the promotion then the fight itself. Anderson got signed cause he can fight not cause of his promoting skills.

Ohh & I agree with Davis on Toney

Firing nonsense JDS is far from ONE demensional as toney is he just prefers striking as where Toney has ONLY striking

Obviously JDS decides to box' date=' but being a brown belt in BJJ, snuffing takedowns, and occasionally showing he can kick, kinda makes him not one dimensional.[/quote']

He literally just threw his first leg kicks against Nelson, attempted his first takedown, and has only shrugged off 3-4 takedown attempts.

Styles make fights, and at HW, it's typically a standup war. And as such, James Toney has as good a chance as any.

Firing nonsense JDS is far from ONE demensional as toney is he just prefers striking as where Toney has ONLY striking

Yeah, because clearly james hasn't been working MMA for the last year.......I'm not saying Junior IS one dimensional - I'm saying his striking with his hands is so good, he can dominate and keep a fight in that realm. So why couldn't a boxing champion do the same?

He literally just threw his first leg kicks against Nelson' date=' attempted his first takedown, and has only shrugged off 3-4 takedown attempts.

Styles make fights, and at HW, it's typically a standup war. And as such, James Toney has as good a chance as any.[/quote']

You, sir, are an idiot

He literally just threw his first leg kicks against Nelson' date=' attempted his first takedown, and has only shrugged off 3-4 takedown attempts.

Styles make fights, and at HW, it's typically a standup war. And as such, James Toney has as good a chance as any.[/quote']

it's typically a standup war if your fighting a guy like Carwin, JDS, and Gonzaga.

But when u fight Couture, Brock, Or Cain it is typically a u better have some great takedown defense or a good BJJ game because if not your gonna get beat down type of fight lol

it's typically a standup war if your fighting a guy like Carwin' date=' JDS, and Gonzaga.

But when u fight Couture, Brock, Or Cain it is typically a u better have some great takedown defense or a good BJJ game because if not your gonna get beat down type of fight lol[/quote']

True to a point. I have no doubts Brock would molest James if he didn't catch an uppercut off the bat........

But 70% of the HW division are all typically standup fighters........so yeah, sure Toney is at a disadvantage to some, but he's more technically proficient in the biggest skill of the division, than the majority. See what I'm saying?

Couture is a natural LHW, and he's getting SLOW.....his last fights have looked mediocre at best. Toney will knock him clean out in the first minute of the fight.

i know. but i've been coming on here for months before signing up. not relevant' date=' i know. but he is wrong in the head[/quote']

Wrong in the head how like I explained in explicit detail how Chael Sonnen would dominate Anderson Silva (minus the hail mary).....or like how I told everyone Feijao would knockout King Mo? Or how about when I told people Fitch would utterly dominate Thiago Alves?

I call how fights go down. You probably roll 50/50.

You'll see tomorrow night kid.

True to a point. I have no doubts Brock would molest James if he didn't catch an uppercut off the bat........

But 70% of the HW division are all typically standup fighters........so yeah' date=' sure Toney is at a disadvantage to some, but he's more technically proficient in the biggest skill of the division, than the majority. See what I'm saying?

Couture is a natural LHW, and he's getting SLOW.....his last fights have looked mediocre at best. Toney will knock him clean out in the first minute of the fight.[/quote']

I think if Toney is really serious about MMA he can get some wins in the UFC against guys that would stand and bang like Duffee, Brenden, Gonzaga, ECT.

But if you notice the only reason Brock caught and uppercut was because he didn't get the takedown, Toney cannot snuff a takedown from Brock Lesnar. I do not dislike Toney like most people i just believe he is picking his fights wrong, he should have took the Kimbo fight, but i actually admire his desire to fight a real MMA guy.

Wrong in the head how like I explained in explicit detail how Chael Sonnen would dominate Anderson Silva (minus the hail mary).....or like how I told everyone Feijao would knockout King Mo? Or how about when I told people Fitch would utterly dominate Thiago Alves?

Why are you so confident that Toney will win? I mean im not knocking you he certainly has a chance to win if you've watched Toney fight then you know how great his boxing is. Its just couture is notoriously good at negating strikers.

I think if Toney is really serious about MMA he can get some wins in the UFC against guys that would stand and bang like Duffee' date=' Brenden, Gonzaga, ECT.

But if you notice the only reason Brock caught and uppercut was because he didn't get the takedown, Toney cannot snuff a takedown from Brock Lesnar. I do not dislike Toney like most people i just believe he is picking his fights wrong, he should have took the Kimbo fight, but i actually admire his desire to fight a real MMA guy.[/quote']

This.

I think if Toney is really serious about MMA he can get some wins in the UFC against guys that would stand and bang like Duffee' date=' Brenden, Gonzaga, ECT.

But if you notice the only reason Brock caught and uppercut was because he didn't get the takedown, Toney cannot snuff a takedown from Brock Lesnar. I do not dislike Toney like most people i just believe he is picking his fights wrong, he should have took the Kimbo fight, but i actually admire his desire to fight a real MMA guy.[/quote']

No doubt. If he wants to get serious about MMA, he's clearly going to have to focus on the ground elements to his game. In reality though, James probably won't fight more than 2 or 3 times in MMA, win or lose. He's no spring chicken either, and I do question his devotion to the transition.

Personally, I think the UFC was foolish by putting Couture against him - especially after seeing him get steamrolled by Big Nog - a man not known at all for his striking.

If Dana were smart, they would have fed him to Brock right away.....that would get rid of him in a hurry.

may be a noob, but at least i'm not delusional. and i don't "roll" anything. i don't bet

Why are you so confident that Toney will win? I mean im not knocking you he certainly has a chance to win if you've watched Toney fight then you know how great his boxing is. Its just couture is notoriously good at negating strikers.

Couture has been knocked out 6 times, and most recently got TOOLED by a sluggish, reputably poor HW striker in Big Nog........I'm going off recent fights.

may be a noob' date=' but at least i'm not delusional[/quote']

I had 300 donkeys like yourself telling me I was a noob for explaining how Sonnen's style would wreck Silva. Everyone was saying Silva, 1st round KO.........

As I said, wait until tomorrow night - or September 30th when Gamburyan KOs Aldo, then come talk to me.

No doubt. If he wants to get serious about MMA' date=' he's clearly going to have to focus on the ground elements to his game. In reality though, James probably won't fight more than 2 or 3 times in MMA, win or lose. He's no spring chicken either, and I do question his devotion to the transition.

Personally, I think the UFC was foolish by putting Couture against him - especially after seeing him get steamrolled by Big Nog - a man not known at all for his striking.

If Dana were smart, they would have fed him to Brock right away.....that would get rid of him in a hurry.[/quote']

Yeah but do you know the heat he would get from letting him get a title shot right away? Dana couldn't do that, but Jon Jones did say he would fight Toney, and i think that one would be quite interesting, If Couture doesn't get caught and gets the fight to the ground he will win, and if i had to bet on it all my money would be on Couture.

Couture has been knocked out 6 times' date=' and most recently got TOOLED by a sluggish, reputably poor HW striker in Big Nog........I'm going off recent fights.[/quote']

couture has only been knocked out by knockout artists. besides lesnar who has volkswagens for hands

I had 300 donkeys like yourself telling me I was a noob for explaining how Sonnen's style would wreck Silva. Everyone was saying Silva' date=' 1st round KO.........

As I said, wait until tomorrow night - or September 30th when Gamburyan KOs Aldo, then come talk to me.[/quote']

I think Silva would beat Sonnen again

but i agree that Gamburyan would win (I get heat for this one to lol)

Archived