Eight Things We Found Out Saturday

Rob_Lazarus

1. Nate Diaz fights for the fans. It doesn't matter who they put him in with, he takes the fight wherever it goes and he utilizes all the tools in his toolbox with complete fearlessness.

2. Kenny Florian chokes under pressure. That fight didn't end quickly, Florian wasn't hampered by an injury, and his opponent was in no way a far superior fighter. Florian has nerves of jelly and if he can't figure out how to overcome that, he will never get past that bump in the road that has haunted him since he fought Sean Sherk.

3. Gray Maynard is a smart but unexciting fighter. He mixes up his strikes and take downs very well and once he gets the fight to the ground he does a good job keeping it there. However Gray seemed more concerned during this fight with keeping Florian from winning any rounds rather than finishing him.

4. Damian Maia has a long way to go. His striking looked improved, his wrestling looked improve, however he is still a one threat kind of guy. Since Miranda knew he need not worry about anything but Maia's submissions, he was able to easily escape every single one. Credit to Maia for attempting subs over and over, however without effective G&P to set up the submissions it will be difficult for Maia finish anyone with a BJJ black belt, which is at least 50% of the guys in the UFC if not more.

5. Nine months of MMA training is probably not enough to be able to compete in the UFC.

6. Frankie Edgar was probably not given enough credit in his last victory. He may struggle to finish fights as well, but there is also no doubt about how tough the competition he's facing is. Frankie sticks and moves so effectively that he frustrated and demoralized one of the best boxers in MMA. Even when Penn got the fight to the mat, Edgar was active and got back to his feet pretty easily.

7. Penn is a front runner. Unlike a fighter like Wanderlei, when Penn begins to feel like he is losing, it's a downhill slope. Penn loses his confidence and therefore fights worse and loses even more confidence. If it goes unfixed he will have to only start fighting guys who can start beating up immediately.

8. Joe Lauzon rocks.

Hey Rob, really liked what you had to say, specially about Diaz and Lauzon. Both those guys fight for the fans. I think Penn just wasn't going to risk getting knocked out, to go for the finish. If Frankie looked for the finish more, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Penn finished him. I am not too worried about BJ, he still hasn't been knocked out. If you were trying to steal someones throne in real life you would have to kill them. BJ is still champ in my heart!

1. Nate Diaz fights for the fans. It doesn't matter who they put him in with' date=' he takes the fight wherever it goes and he utilizes all the tools in his toolbox with complete fearlessness.

2. Kenny Florian chokes under pressure. That fight didn't end quickly, Florian wasn't hampered by an injury, and his opponent was in no way a far superior fighter. Florian has nerves of jelly and if he can't figure out how to overcome that, he will never get past that bump in the road that has haunted him since he fought Sean Sherk.

3. Gray Maynard is a smart but unexciting fighter. He mixes up his strikes and take downs very well and once he gets the fight to the ground he does a good job keeping it there. However Gray seemed more concerned during this fight with keeping Florian from winning any rounds rather than finishing him.

4. Damian Maia has a long way to go. His striking looked improved, his wrestling looked improve, however he is still a one threat kind of guy. Since Miranda knew he need not worry about anything but Maia's submissions, he was able to easily escape every single one. Credit to Maia for attempting subs over and over, however without effective G&P to set up the submissions it will be difficult for Maia finish anyone with a BJJ black belt, which is at least 50% of the guys in the UFC if not more.

5. Nine months of MMA training is probably not enough to be able to compete in the UFC.

6. Frankie Edgar was probably not given enough credit in his last victory. He may struggle to finish fights as well, but there is also no doubt about how tough the competition he's facing is. Frankie sticks and moves so effectively that he frustrated and demoralized one of the best boxers in MMA. Even when Penn got the fight to the mat, Edgar was active and got back to his feet pretty easily.

7. Penn is a front runner. Unlike a fighter like Wanderlei, when Penn begins to feel like he is losing, it's a downhill slope. Penn loses his confidence and therefore fights worse and loses even more confidence. If it goes unfixed he will have to only start fighting guys who can start beating up immediately.

8. Joe Lauzon rocks.[/quote']

Gotta love the Diaz brothers, they know how to put on a show even if they're losing they still go out and fight. As for Kenny, I dont get cause he's a BJJ Blackbelt but doesnt know how to use it when he needs it in that fight.....Where were his elbow strikes on the ground?

Either 2 things, he felt pressured losing positioning in order to secure a sub, or Maynard is just that good at being on top position. But we all know what Maynard is going to do in every fight....get it to the ground and hopefully keep it there. Wrestlers wrestle, thats all they can do cause it works for them like strikers only wanting to stand up(rampage).

Maia needs to work on some GnP I agree, he dangerous with his jits and would be even more if he started to strike while being in good position on the ground. I think 9 months of straight MMA training can do good, it depends on how serious he you take the training. We all know Toney is one bad guy when it comes to boxing, but as we all saw he didnt really think how fast a wrestler can sghoot in on him like Randy.

Edgar out worked Penn, he damage him though when it came to strikes but he got some good shots in there. Penn was just outclassed by Edgars speed. Penn still has it but on the ground Penn did exactly what he did against GSP......nothing. He did keep Edgar from advancing his position but thats all. I agree that Penn got frustrated, but he didnt lose any confidence, he just couldnt capitolise on anything, Edagr deserves a lot od credit for what he did to Penn.

3 is a contradiction and 4 is wrong' date=' that guy had excellent ground game and it was not an easy escape[/quote']

I don't feel like three is a contradiction. A fighter can still mix things up and stay active and never look for a finish. Obviously all these fighters are always looking for the finish, but it would be nice to see them make a serious effort to finish more often in the fights. It's a problem with the judging, not the fighters themselves. You do what you have to to win.

As for 4, Miranda is very good on the ground, but who isn't in the UFC now? James Toney? At least 95% of the fighters in the UFC have an excellent ground game and many have their black belts in jiu jitsu. Demian isn't facing cans anymore like he did early in his ufc career (Ryan Jensen, Ed Herman, Jason MacDonald). He's up there at the top and apart from Miranda who I think is actually very good he'll be facing a top contender next and I just don't see him submitting a guy like Chael Sonnen...wait what?

Edgar out worked Penn' date=' he damage him though when it came to strikes but he got some good shots in there. Penn was just outclassed by Edgars speed. Penn still has it but on the ground Penn did exactly what he did against GSP......nothing. He did keep Edgar from advancing his position but thats all. I agree that Penn got frustrated, but he didnt lose any confidence, he just couldnt capitolise on anything, Edagr deserves a lot od credit for what he did to Penn.[/quote']

I don't know man. He lost that BJ Penn look in his eyes. He had the eyes of a killer back when he fought Matt Hughes the first time. You can still see a little bit of that, but it faded as that fight went on. I really think that Penn truly believed he was the best in the world at 155 and this has seriously humbled him. He's closer to reaching the "Jens Pulver point" than anybody thinks. If he fights Gomi next and drops another one that's three in a row. If he fights Gray Maynard next somehow and gets laid on for fifteen sweaty hairy man love minutes thats four. <--- That's for you Dynasty

**** you for dogging maynard.

Maynard sucks.

ROFLMAO. Diaz was garbage. He throws his little ***** slaps while walking backwards against a guy he has half a foot reach on, not oly that but he blinded the dude with an illegal headbutt. The guy is garbage and fights the only way he can win, a complete ***** slap fest.

I think it's funny you say Maynard wasn't looking for the finish, but when did Edgar or BJ for that matter "look for the finish" in their fight?

Lauzon fought a hand picked can who shouldnt even be allowed in to watch the fight let alone fight in it. who cares what he did? it's as impressive as Belcher's submission on his 9 month old daughter.

ROFLMAO. Diaz was garbage. He throws his little ***** slaps while walking backwards against a guy he has half a foot reach on' date=' not oly that but he blinded the dude with an illegal headbutt. The guy is garbage and fights the only way he can win, a complete ***** slap fest.

I think it's funny you say Maynard wasn't looking for the finish, but when did Edgar or BJ for that matter "look for the finish" in their fight?

Lauzon fought a hand picked can who shouldnt even be allowed in to watch the fight let alone fight in it. who cares what he did? it's as impressive as Belcher's submission on his 9 month old daughter.[/quote']

Get off this forum, talkin' crap about Belcher now. Seriously you're a piece of crap.

1. Nate Diaz fights for the fans. It doesn't matter who they put him in with' date=' he takes the fight wherever it goes and he utilizes all the tools in his toolbox with complete fearlessness.

8. Joe Lauzon rocks.[/quote']

I agree with all but #4. Maia does still to need work on his striking and wrestling, he did look like he improved a little. But, Maia can submit anybody in the ufc. I don't care what weight class, belt, etc. Maia can submit you. I know he had trouble getting it against Miranda but he still has the ability to submit anyone.

I agree with all but #4. Maia does still to need work on his striking and wrestling' date=' he did look like he improved a little. But, Maia can submit anybody in the ufc. I don't care what weight class, belt, etc. Maia can submit you. I know he had trouble getting it against Miranda but he still has the ability to submit anyone.[/quote']

i reckon maia would have a hard time getting a hold of palhares... let alone subbing him....

ROFLMAO. Diaz was garbage. He throws his little ***** slaps while walking backwards against a guy he has half a foot reach on' date=' not oly that but he blinded the dude with an illegal headbutt. The guy is garbage and fights the only way he can win, a complete ***** slap fest.

Lauzon fought a hand picked can who shouldnt even be allowed in to watch the fight let alone fight in it. who cares what he did? it's as impressive as Belcher's submission on his 9 month old daughter.[/quote']

So much hate. The diaz brothers boxing is effective, not K.O power but it gets the job done. And Lauzon is a good fighter who had a bad injury and a long layoff, so this win was impressive.

[b']4. Damian Maia has a long way to go. His striking looked improved, his wrestling looked improve, however he is still a one threat kind of guy. Since Miranda knew he need not worry about anything but Maia's submissions, he was able to easily escape every single one. Credit to Maia for attempting subs over and over, however without effective G&P to set up the submissions it will be difficult for Maia finish anyone with a BJJ black belt, which is at least 50% of the guys in the UFC if not more.[/b]

8. Joe Lauzon rocks.

I think what we learned about Demian Maia is that he finds it harder to submit guys alot stronger than him, he should drop to 170 and i think he would be a dangerous fighter in WW if he improves his striking to the point GSP wouldnt dominate him on the feet he could be a great contender for GSP.

Archived