Boxing vs MMA, something Toney fans dont get.

ForcexrecoN

You can say "IT's not boxing vs MMA". True, it maybe true.

BUT DOES JAMES TONEY KNOW THAT? What if he knocks couture out, gets the mic and just starts destroying MMA, talking about how crappy it is ext.

Then what? Will MMA still be taken seriously?

You can say "No, just let lesnar destroy him or something." IT WILL BE TOO LATE BY THEN[, this is more of a one and done deal. Of course Toney wants to be HW champ of the UFC, but think about it. IF he knocks couture out, people are going to shrug the rest of the fights off (boxing fans, and casuals).

Sorry, had to vent that.

You can say "IT's not boxing vs MMA". True' date=' it maybe true.

BUT DOES JAMES TONEY KNOW THAT? What if he knocks [b']couture[/b] out, gets the mic and just starts destroying MMA, talking about how crappy it is ext.

You can say "No, just let lesnar destroy him or something." IT WILL BE TOO LATE BY THEN[, this is more of a one and done deal. Of course Toney wants to be HW champ of the UFC, but think about it. IF he knocks couture out, people are going to shrug the rest of the fights off (boxing fans, and casuals).

Sorry, had to vent that.

Put it this way if Toney wins he will want Brock. If he fights Brock he will die and Dana will make sure the ref doesnt jump in too early. Making James Toney pro boxer the first death in UFC history. That would be embarrassing for boxing.

Even in the fantasy world where Toney wins, it will be spun as, "Well, Couture's 47. He should have been done years ago. This is proof his time is done." I like Couture, but that's the way it will be spun if he loses.

Now back to reality. Boxing and MMA are two completely different sports. What Toney and his **** followers are failing to realize that Boxing is just 1 little part of MMA. So..., after Toney loses, it will just prove the you can't be 1 dimensional and expect to be good in professional MMA.

The whole "MMA vs Boxing" debate is ludicrous to begin with.

That being said, those who venture into such discussions will have serious fuel if Toney does KO Couture. Why?

Because by all rights, to make it a fair comparison, we'd need to see Toney in the cage, and Couture in the ring.

And if Toney beats Couture in the cage, nobody in their right mind could think COuture would beat Toney in a boxing ring.

Boxing is a part of MMA - a big part, and as noted by many, the debate is truly laughable. They are two entirely different sports.

Put it this way if Toney wins he will want Brock. If he fights Brock he will die and Dana will make sure the ref doesnt jump in too early. Making James Toney pro boxer the first death in UFC history. That would be embarrassing for boxing.

Then the political **** storm will ensue, the news media is filled with narrow minded fools who don't know jack ****. But I think MMA will be able to endure a 2nd barrage, if the sport in its minor years can survive termination, it can easily overcome it now.

I guess your right.

Then the political **** storm will ensue' date=' the news media is filled with narrow minded fools who don't know jack ****. But I think MMA will be able to endure a 2nd barrage, if the sport in its minor years can survive termination, it can easily overcome it now.

I guess your right.[/quote']

When pro boxers 10% of the time endure extreme brain damage because of the 10 second rule the UFC will have no problem with one death

The whole "MMA vs Boxing" debate is ludicrous to begin with.

That being said' date=' those who venture into such discussions will have serious fuel if Toney does KO Couture. Why?

Because by all rights, to make it a fair comparison, we'd need to see Toney in the cage, and Couture in the ring.

And if Toney beats Couture in the cage, nobody in their right mind could think COuture would beat Toney in a boxing ring.

Boxing is a part of MMA - a big part, and as noted by many, the debate is truly laughable. They are two entirely different sports.[/quote']

Ok, take a deep breath. Now read my post again. DOES TONEY KNOW THAT!?!?!!?!? No. He doesn't. IF he wins watch his verbal rampage about MMA. If it does happen it will be the one of the worst **** slaps in MMA's face.

FORTUNATELY unlike STRIKEFORCE, Dana White with the UFC - when he takes gambles, he usually wins. (Except for Lesnar)

Ok' date=' take a deep breath. Now read my post again. [b']DOES TONEY KNOW THAT!?!?!!?!? [/b]No. He doesn't. IF he wins watch his verbal rampage about MMA. If it does happen it will be the one of the worst **** slaps in MMA's face.

FORTUNATELY unlike STRIKEFORCE, Dana White with the UFC - when he takes gambles, he usually wins. (Except for Lesnar)

James doesn't care though, that's the difference. Him beating Couture will not make MMA illegitimate in the slightest. And if people believe that, then they are fairweather fans to begin with. And if the casuals who are influenced like that leave the MMA forums, we'll all be better off anyway.

I couldn't care in the slightest in boxing fans use this as some form of fuel - because the comparison is laughable to begin with. Anyone with a brain knows this.......

But you're right, James doesn't understand this - nor does he care to. He's all about getting paid, however that may be.

james toney v. randy couture

this fight will have no impact on where mma as a whole is headed.

if james does beat randy don't be surprised to see a lot of boxers willing to give mma a chance.

there will always be boxing and there will always be mma and everything in between.

this is a great matchup and a great opportunity to make a lot of money, hence the boxing v. mma sales pitch

if james does beat randy don't be surprised to see a lot of boxers willing to give mma a chance.

there will always be boxing and there will always be mma and everything in between.

this is a great matchup and a great opportunity to make a lot of money' date=' hence the boxing v. mma sales pitch[/quote']

This ^^ People are looking to deeply into the marketing....

this is a great matchup and a great opportunity to make a lot of money' date=' hence the boxing v. mma sales pitch[/quote']

I don't beleive a whole lot more boxers will try and come into MMA, maybe a few lower level boxers(who are still better than almost all MMA boxers), however i don't believe that any that are a high level and prime aged will come to MMA for the simple fact that the payday in boxing is gigantic compared to MMA.

I don't beleive a whole lot more boxers will try and come into MMA' date=' maybe a few lower level boxers(who are still better than almost all MMA boxers), however i don't believe that any that are a high level and prime aged will come to MMA for the simple fact that the payday in boxing is gigantic compared to MMA.[/quote']

i agree the pay day will always be better in boxing. but, i do think that there some boxers out there that enjoy competition and would be willing to give mma a go.

i agree the pay day will always be better in boxing. but' date=' i do think that there some boxers out there that enjoy competition and would be willing to give mma a go.[/quote']

True, but it would have to be quite early in their career to get the most out of MMA.

I think it might happen like what happened with WWE when Brock did well, suddenly others wanted to give it a go lol

I do like though how boxers like David Haye and B Hop say that they would get beaten in MMA because they know that the sports are extremely diferent.

Did anyone actually pay attention to the countdown show? Toney has apparently been training for this for 9 months, since before he even started talking all the smack to Dana.

If Toney manages to pull out a victory it will be by using more than strictly a traditional boxing stance and style, and honestly that can only mean good things for the sport when viewed by educated boxing fans.

If Lights Out sticks to boxing, he is done for... MMA wins.

If he expands his repertoire and includes some TD defense or a Greco clinch and wins.... MMA wins again.

If he expands his repertoire and puts up a decent fight but still loses... MMA wins yet again

If for some unGodly reason Randy Couture loses his everloving mind and tries to play tough guy and slug it out with Toney... everyone loses.

Did anyone actually pay attention to the countdown show? Toney has apparently been training for this for 9 months' date=' since before he even started talking all the smack to Dana.

If Toney manages to pull out a victory it will be by using more than strictly a traditional boxing stance and style, and honestly that can only mean good things for the sport when viewed by educated boxing fans.

If Lights Out sticks to boxing, he is done for... MMA wins.

If he expands his repertoire and includes some TD defense or a Greco clinch and wins.... MMA wins again.

If he expands his repertoire and puts up a decent fight but still loses... MMA wins yet again

If for some unGodly reason Randy Couture loses his everloving mind and tries to play tough guy and slug it out with Toney... [b']everyone loses[/b].

EXCEPT ALL OF US RIDING THE TONEY TRAIN! BLEE DAT!

lol, but you're spot on man. People are delving too deep into it all. Just appreciate it for the fight it is. As far as I'm concerned, any marquee fight, whether it's in a cage, or the boxing ring, is something to be appreciated.

True' date=' but it would have to be quite early in their career to get the most out of MMA.

I think it might happen like what happened with WWE when Brock did well, suddenly others wanted to give it a go lol

I do like though how boxers like David Haye and B Hop say that they would get beaten in MMA because they know that the sports are extremely diferent.[/quote']

The sad fact is the percentage of boxers actually making those big paydays is very small.

There is maybe 20 boxers in the world who demand 6 figures or more per fight these days. That is half the problem with boxing, the best athletes go to better paying sports for the average guy.

If MMA can get to a little better point to where even a middle of the road guy on undercards and fight nights can make a healthy living and fight and train full time, more middle of the pack boxers will make the move.

BUT DOES JAMES TONEY KNOW THAT? What if he knocks [b']couture[/b] out, gets the mic and just starts destroying MMA, talking about how crappy it is ext.

Sorry, had to vent that.

another garbage.

Sorry, had to vent that.

Yo....

What the helllllll are you babbaling about? You think if Toney wins he's gunna get on the MIc and "Destroy MMA" with words? then MMA wont be taken seriously lol? Because a boxer beat a MMArtist...its a fight you idiot.

By the way, was MMA destroyed and embarrassed and not taken seriously when the WWE wrestler won the belt? Some of you take this **** way to serious, and not in the hardcore MMA fan kinda way, because i am one too, but you start bein obsessive compulsive about dumb ****, just stfu and watch the fight then well go from there.

i see this fight as lose-lose for MMA. while I hate to think of it as Boxing vs MMA, it is. If James Toney wins, all those ignorant boxers/boxing promoters that have bashed MMA will go "see, told you", but if Randy wins they simply respond "Couture just hugged him" or "Toney isn't in his prime," etc etc.

i can't wait to see what happens though

Sorry, had to vent that.

So the former wwe champ beats randy and its not bad but the former world heavyweight boxing champ wins and it horrible...ironic

Sorry, had to vent that.

STOOOOOp this crappy mentality ... Why you think Dana put Toney to fight Randy ?? Answer me that and lets take from there .. im trying to always make UFC fans see things in a business prospective ... IF Toney wins Dana will make even more money .. why ?? because more boxe fans (boxe has more fans than MMA still) will star to join MMA and by pay per view to watch those boxer fighting MMA guys .. see ?? Dana doesnt care about MMA being better than boxe or not .. he wants money .. he want UFC to become attractive for all fighting fans ... Karate, Boxe, Jiu Jitsu, Capoeira, Sambo, Muay, etc, etc .. im brazilian and pretty sure soon Dana will get a Capoeira guy to fight Anderson LOL

Yo....

What the helllllll are you babbaling about? You think if Toney wins he's gunna get on the MIc and "Destroy MMA" with words? then MMA wont be taken seriously lol? Because a boxer beat a MMArtist...its a fight you idiot.

By the way' date=' was MMA destroyed and embarrassed and not taken seriously when the WWE wrestler won the belt? Some of you take this **** way to serious, and not in the hardcore MMA fan kinda way, because i am one too, but you start bein obsessive compulsive about dumb ****, just stfu and watch the fight then well go from there.[/quote']

LOL .. can you imagine if around 3 min on 1st round they go for an exchange and Randy falls out cold ??? can you imagine a nasty Koed on Randy and Toney wins ?? WOW that would be pathetic for MMA hahahaha

Toney beating Randy or Randy beating Toney or a Draw whatever the outcome MMA as a whole keeps going right along.

That's what the "MMA" fans don't understand I dislike Lesnar but was him becoming HW champ a bad thing for MMA as a whole? I think its grown + Lesnar is one of the top draws and more ex-pro wrestlers are making the change to MMA. Toney can do the same for boxing. Other than Pac-man and Maywheather how many HUGE names in boxing are there? Not many and those still around are past their boxing prime.

Like BJ said Toney is "Gods gift to MMA". Toney brings another world of followers that will tune in to 118 and instantly become hooked into MMA. Toney won't win purely as a boxer unless its within the first like 10 seconds. Once ANY move that isn't part of boxing is thrown it became an MMA match. Couture will leg kick, go for takedowns, elbows etc. and Toney will have to defend and counter all that.

I think Toney will KO Couture. I think Toney will take a beating for a round before that happens but I think it'll happen. I think fans watching will go crazy over that fight (in a good way).

Toney beating Randy or Randy beating Toney or a Draw whatever the outcome MMA as a whole keeps going right along.

That's what the "MMA" fans don't understand I dislike Lesnar but was him becoming HW champ a bad thing for MMA as a whole? I think its grown + Lesnar is one of the top draws and more ex-pro wrestlers are making the change to MMA. Toney can do the same for boxing. Other than Pac-man and Maywheather how many HUGE names in boxing are there? Not many and those still around are past their boxing prime.

Like BJ said Toney is "Gods gift to MMA". Toney brings another world of followers that will tune in to 118 and instantly become hooked into MMA. Toney won't win purely as a boxer unless its within the first like 10 seconds. Once ANY move that isn't part of boxing is thrown it became an MMA match. Couture will leg kick' date=' go for takedowns, elbows etc. and Toney will have to defend and counter all that.

I think Toney will KO Couture. I think Toney will take a beating for a round before that happens but I think it'll happen. I think fans watching will go crazy over that fight (in a good way).[/quote']

Yeah man .. you said at all .. i dont think Toney can beat many guys on UFC .. but yes he can beat Randy .. hell yeah .. do you guys remember Randy vs Big Nog ?? Big Nog has no boxe compared to Toney and he rocked Randy couple times .. right ?? I have the strong feeling Toney will Ko Randy ...

Archived