Toney's Punching Power

gee_sus

We all know that Toney has power in his hands weather it be with 10 ounce gloves or 4 ounce gloves.

However i have not read any post where someone should have mentioned the differences between 4oz and 10oz.

Toney has been hit with 10oz gloves many many times hence his poor speech pattern.

But can toney take a punch with 4oz gloves and keep standing upright?

Couture has been hit by alot of powerful guys with 4oz gloves.

toney has great hands no doubt about it, and no one can ever take that away from him, but to assume if couture hits toney that toney would just roll with it is ludacris.

I've read post after post and thread after thread talking about if toney hits randy it's over, but i think if randy connects clean with a punch it could put toney's "light's out"

I can't recall a boxing match with James Toney that ended before the 4th round, however i may be overlooking some fights.

But as everyone here can attest knockouts are far more frequent in MMa than in boxing.

MMArtists don't take 2 or three rounds to to wear down their opponents, they go at it from bell to bell full force.

being someone who has had some boxing training "Some not much"

and alot of MMa training i can tell you that a fighter's frame of mind is to finish a fight, boxers fight for points, if they happen to get a knockout then that is a bonus, but every boxer Excluding Tyson,Ali, Frazier, and Marciano, fights to win the fight not to finish.

Discuss.

We all know that Toney has power in his hands weather it be with 10 ounce gloves or 4 ounce gloves.

However i have not read any post where someone should have mentioned the differences between 4oz and 10oz.

Toney has been hit with 10oz gloves many many times hence his poor speech pattern.

toney has great hands no doubt about it' date=' and no one can ever take that away from him, but to assume if couture hits toney that toney would just roll with it is ludacris.

I've read post after post and thread after thread talking about if toney hits randy it's over, but i think if randy connects clean with a punch it could put toney's "light's out"

I can't recall a boxing match with James Toney that ended before the 4th round, however i may be overlooking some fights.

But as everyone here can attest knockouts are far more frequent in MMa than in boxing.

MMArtists don't take 2 or three rounds to to wear down their opponents, they go at it from bell to bell full force.

and alot of MMa training i can tell you that a fighter's frame of mind is to finish a fight, boxers fight for points, if they happen to get a knockout then that is a bonus, but every boxer Excluding Tyson,Ali, Frazier, and Marciano, fights to win the fight not to finish.

Discuss.[/quote']

Well, MMA fighters get finished a lot faster in fights because there is less skill involved in boxing against full time boxing, obviously.

I don't think Toney has been knocked out in boxing, so I'm VERY certain that Randy won't be able to, 4 ounce gloves or not.

I mean, imagine it this way.

You've been wrestling in high school and you're feeling pretty good.

You have some nice, clean takedowns and you're pretty confident in your ability.

So, you're just chillin' in your wrestling singlet, talking about how horrible lunch tasted, and all of the sudden, here comes Brock Lesnar.

The dude just picks you up and tosses you around, and you're confused as to what he's doing and you don't even know what to do.

He makes you feel like a child and you realize how small your wrestling credentials and ability are compared to his.

That is exactly how Randy will feel if he decides to go toe to toe, and he'll get mauled by Toney. He won't even register what Toney is setting up or doing.

Well' date=' MMA fighters get finished a lot faster in fights because there is less skill involved in boxing against full time boxing, obviously.

I don't think Toney has been knocked out in boxing, so I'm VERY certain that Randy won't be able to, 4 ounce gloves or not.

I mean, imagine it this way.

You've been wrestling in high school and you're feeling pretty good.

You have some nice, clean takedowns and you're pretty confident in your ability.

So, you're just chillin' in your wrestling singlet, talking about how horrible lunch tasted, and all of the sudden, here comes Brock Lesnar.

The dude just picks you up and tosses you around, and you're confused as to what he's doing and you don't even know what to do.

He makes you feel like a child and you realize how small your wrestling credentials and ability are compared to his.

That is exactly how Randy will feel if he decides to go toe to toe, and he'll get mauled by Toney. He won't even register what Toney is setting up or doing.[/quote']

I don't think so.

Randy boxed in the army, which i know is not even close to the same caliber as toney, my point is that toney can take a puch with 10oz gloves, i have seen him rocked many times, i think if couture clips him with a clean shot toney might go to sleep.

i've been hit with both 10oz and 4oz and to be honest i would rather take a hit from 10oz all day rather that 4oz.

I don't think so.

Randy boxed in the army' date=' which i know is not even close to the same caliber as toney, my point is that toney can take a puch with 10oz gloves, i have seen him rocked many times, i think if couture clips him with a clean shot toney might go to sleep.

i've been hit with both 10oz and 4oz and to be honest i would rather take a hit from 10oz all day rather that 4oz.[/quote']

hahahhahahahahahahha!

I almost died from reading that did. This is probably one of the biggest jokes of a post in UFC Forum history.

hahahhahahahahahahha!

I almost died from reading that did. This is probably one of the biggest jokes of a post in UFC Forum history.

laugh all you want, stranger things have happened.

In MMA anyone can get knocked out at any given time.

hell pillow fists Velasquez knocked out Nogueria in the first.

toney has great hands no doubt about it' date=' and no one can ever take that away from him, but to assume if couture hits toney that toney would just roll with it is ludacris.

Discuss.[/quote']

i touched on that in another thread a little earlier today...Everyone is over looking what kind of abuse Toney can take from a 4 oz glove. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets TKOed by GnP from several punches with 4 oz gloves. and he might even get staggered if Randy surprises him with a quick strike early(like he did to Sylvia)

hahahhahahahahahahha!

Yeah, cause we all know how weak Randy's chin is. :rolleyes: Randy can knock people out and he has experience in the cage that Toney doesn't have. The cage doesn't give like ropes do in a boxing ring. Randy could bull rush Toney and pin him against the cage where he could dirty box Toney to unconsciousness.

Toney's power shouldn't be questioned nor should his chin. Both are laughable arguments.

Read the post again. i never questioned either of those things, i stated that everyone is forgetting that they are not boxing and the difference in the glove size is a factor for anyone. Even someone with a chin made of granite can be KOed by a clean punch weather the punch is thrown by toney, couture, or some random guy off the street.

i touched on that in another thread a little earlier today...Everyone is over looking what kind of abuse Toney can take from a 4 oz glove. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets TKOed by GnP from several punches with 4 oz gloves. and he might even get staggered if Randy surprises him with a quick strike early(like he did to Sylvia)

Has anyone even watched Toney fight before. I mean he's a pretty hard dude to hit in the first place and the guy can take a punch.

Has anyone even watched Toney fight before. I mean he's a pretty hard dude to hit in the first place and the guy can take a punch.

I have watched quite a few toney fights.

More than the average MMA fan probably.

i actually loved watching Toney get schooled by Roy Jones Jr.

Discuss.[/quote']

He has had that pattern well b4 getting hit to many times he's always talked like that lol. Anyway everyone is capable of getting KO'd with 4oz gloves the thing is you prob won't see Randy even throw a punch except maybe a jab to set up a shot.

The reason Boxers "hit so much harder" is because of their stance you can put all your weight into it. If toney comes out with that same stance his leg is going to look like raw meet at the end of the fight and will be taken down with ease. Toneys only chance is to catch couture but this won't be as easy as it sounds especially with his traditional boxing stance

i was a huge boxing fan growing up and have seen several of his fights live, but this is a different game...and if Couture gets the TD its not going to be very hard to hit him...and Toney hasn't been hit with a 4 oz glove with 100% power by anyone i would guarantee it, like you said hes hard and has showed an impressive chin but it was in a different sport.

Toney's power shouldn't be questioned nor should his chin. Both are laughable arguments.

Agreed.

laugh all you want' date=' stranger things have happened.

In MMA anyone can get knocked out at any given time.

hell pillow fists Velasquez knocked out Nogueria in the first.[/quote']

Velasquez and pillow fists? Im confused.

Roy jones put him in his place

By points, he couldnt finish him, which speaks volumes.

We will all see tonight, Toney is going to sleep one way or another.

Couture might stand with him for a bit before useing the clinch and then to the takedown.

it would not surprise me if couture KOed Toney.

You can all say what you want but in the end you will see.

Toney is only in MMa because he is over the hill and it isn't worth anyone's time to box him.

Toney's Lights are going out tonight.

BLEE DAT!!!!!!

i was a huge boxing fan growing up and have seen several of his fights live' date=' but this is a different game...and if Couture gets the TD its not going to be very hard to hit him...and Toney hasn't been hit with a 4 oz glove with 100% power by anyone i would guarantee it, like you said hes hard and has showed an impressive chin but it was in a different sport.[/quote']

Anyone can get rocked, knocked out etc. and it's true it's possible athough extremely unlikely ( like winning the lottery unlikely ) that he might not react well to getting hit with 4 oz gloves but I highly doubt it.

Again to question Toney's chin would be like questioning Cabbage's or Hendo's.

and you gotta be fuggin ******** me that couture will do it. On the ground he might bust him up but he won't knock him out.

Anyone can get rocked' date=' knocked out etc. and it's true it's possible athough extremely unlikely ( like winning the lottery unlikely ) that he might not react well to getting hit with 4 oz gloves but I highly doubt it.

[b']

Again to question Toney's chin would be like questioning Cabbage's or Hendo's.[/b]

No, their chins got their reputation from taking shots from a 4 oz glove, Toney's hasn't. After this fight if he takes shots well then it would be stupid to question his chin....until i actually see him fight MMA i am questioning a lot....i have been hit hard with 12 and 16 oz gloves as well as 4 oz gloves and they both hurt but 4 oz gloves are by far worse. Basically until i see him take shots in MMA i am not sold on him succeeding in this sport.

No' date=' their chins got their reputation from taking shots from a 4 oz glove, Toney's hasn't. After this fight if he takes shots well then it would be stupid to question his chin....until i actually see him fight MMA i am questioning a lot....i have been hit hard with 12 and 16 oz gloves as well as 4 oz gloves and they both hurt but 4 oz gloves are by far worse. Basically until i see him take shots in MMA i am not sold on him succeeding in this sport.[/quote']

Ok so next time i am trying to make a point i will let you explain it.

cause i couldn't have said it better myself, this is exactly the point i was trying to make.

Ok so next time i am trying to make a point i will let you explain it.

cause i couldn't have said it better myself' date=' this is exactly the point i was trying to make.[/quote']

Yea, a lot of people dont understand that when your using a 4 oz glove, cuts are a lot more common as well as bone fractures/ broken noses/ swelling occurs much faster...it really is a completely different game especially when your on your back and you cant slip punches like Toney is good at. not to mention the elbows that will follow after the punches from Couture if he gets the TD.

No' date=' their chins got their reputation from taking shots from a 4 oz glove, Toney's hasn't. After this fight if he takes shots well then it would be stupid to question his chin....until i actually see him fight MMA i am questioning a lot....i have been hit hard with 12 and 16 oz gloves as well as 4 oz gloves and they both hurt but 4 oz gloves are by far worse. Basically until i see him take shots in MMA i am not sold on him succeeding in this sport.[/quote']

I can understand having a little scepticism but me Im just gonna say I don't and leave it at that. You seem to be one of the more reasonable people in this thread. Im not sold on him succeeding in this sport either but I don't question his ability to take a shot.

Agreed, you guys are sorely mistaken if you think Toney will be knocked out by Randy... Toney only needs to clip Randy and he will knock him out full flush... It could even be the first shattered jaw or death if that bad honestly.

Edit: What soulpower says makes sense... Watch Toney vs Jones Jr, he took a beating even when he was already half knocked out... That means he has a chin.

Agreed' date=' you guys are sorely mistaken if you think Toney will be knocked out by Randy... Toney only needs to clip Randy and he will knock him out full flush... It could even be the first shattered jaw or death if that bad honestly.

Edit: What soulpower says makes sense... Watch Toney vs Jones Jr, he took a beating even when he was already half knocked out... That means he has a chin.[/quote']

im not guaranteeing a TKO/KO from Randy at all im just saying its a possibility for sure. If he doesnt get finished Toney will be swollen and cut/bleeding by the end of the 3rd round losing a UD.But like you guys said if Toney connects then its LIGHTS OUT

im not guaranteeing a TKO/KO from Randy at all im just saying its a possibility for sure. If he doesnt get finished Toney will be swollen and cut/bleeding by the end of the 3rd round losing a UD.But like you guys said if Toney connects then its LIGHTS OUT

I think they are saying because Couture's chin isnt what it used to be Big Nog had Couture knocked down several times and even tho Toney might not hit the hardest he has had a career in boxing which his job is to stand and punch people he knows how to hit someone and he does have some serious power. So I dont think its crazy to think Toney can knock him out with one punch.

I did pick Couture to win tho. I just am not that confident Toney can come with no MMA background and beat an olympic level wrestler.

Archived