Coutures Black belt...

PRIDEneverDIED

lol he got a black belt for that? that's like getting a black belt for submitting Tim Sylvia.

as you know Mir did recieve his black belt for submitting Sylvia but he also got another belt that night...the HW championship belt. Also Sylvia fought with Miletich where they drill submissions a lot. Toney looked terrible.

as you know Mir did recieve his black belt for submitting Sylvia but he also got another belt that night...the HW championship belt. Also Sylvia fought with Miletich where they drill submissions a lot. Toney looked terrible.

lol yes I understand. I'm just talkin ****.... lol

i was gonna open a thread about that ' date=' bjj black belt are being handed out left and right these days ...[/quote']

couture obviously deserves a black belt, theres no distputing that. and he didnt get it for submitting james toney he was training bjj for like 12 years

anyone else think that receiving a black belt for submitting Toney is a little weak?

I cant believe how some people think in such dumb ways. you really think they gave him his black belt just for submitting Toney?? Ofcourse not nimwit! He earned it by training BJJ and mastering the martial art...His corner probably knew Randy was gonna try and submit Toney and when he did they gave him his black belt, even if Randy would have lost he still would have gotten that black belt

The opponent was weak yes especially in bjj, but still im sure he has worked a very long time for it and had the necessary qualifications. Many gyms do this, take the test dont tell you results and get you grappling with partner/trainer and once you tap that person out you get it. I thought it was pretty cool but im fairly certain it was a no gi BB, as is Rashads.

bad taste/timing for givin it for submitting james toney but couture does deserve a black belt' date=' did you see couture on joe vs smoes submitting those 3 guys like 100 times.[/quote']

Why would you even bring that up??? Submitting those guys was no different than submitting James Toney last night. Making a statement like that is similar to that buffoon Strikeforce announcer reminding everyone that Bobby Lashley was a former WWE champion....and you're telling us this why???

IDK why everyone is so mad about this. Submitting a professional fighter is an amazing feat regardless of who it is. People that dont even fight have blackbelts in jiu jitsu and have probably never submitted anyone outside of their gym.

are you seriously calling toney a professional fighter???!!

The BJJ belt system used to e much stricter. For instance, you'd have to win 1st in multiple jiu jitsu tournaments in multiple tournaments. Guys like Jacare and Maia got their black belts this way. It typically would've taken a guy 3 years to earn his blue belt. It's the same in judo. I've been doing Judo for 9 years. I have a brown belt, but in order to get my black belt I have to constantly beat black belts and absolutely never lose to anyone ranking below me. It's upsetting to see the traditional belt systems deteriating. That said, I'm sure the guys getting them are still working their asses off and deserve them, but you used to have to do much more to get a black belt. In the end it's up to the trainer, not the fighter.

Wanderlei got a black belt from the Gracies for beating the living piss out of Sakuraba.

The way I see it, its alot like an honorary doctorate degree that colleges give out to people who inspire/achieve greatness/etc/etc in whatever it is they do. Randy brought honor in defending the world of MMA against a champion boxer.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it i know he has been training for a long time, i just found it odd that they made it public by throwing it on him after defeating someone like James Toney. I do feel that the BJJ belt system is being disrespected by MMA, There are plenty of BJJ "black belts" that don't show very technical grappling ability(Not that Couture is one of them) just saying.

Archived