Post Fight Presser

StompGrind

BJ didn't do his usual in this fight or the 112 fight and it's hurting him.

His Usual: Most fighters are known for their character. We see Diego and Alves do their identical praying hands when their name is called. You see JDS do his "whip lay down" when he's announced. BJ Penn used to have his "game character come to life" stance. He'd come to the ring with his tongue hangin out and him jumpin around (did he invent that or Leben?) BJ would get checked (nutcup, mouthpiece), then the real game character stepped into the octagon. BJ would climb the stairs and get into position resembling the start of a video game character. He'd do his fighting stance and keep doing that until the buzzer sounded and he'd still be doing it.

My point is--BJ is losing focus on who he is as a fighter and as we see him as a character. Call me wrong on this, but it's what I see and believe.

Good observation Doc. I saw the same thing. BJ has great skills' date=' but has a weak mind and lacks dedication.[/quote']

I think the Diego match, Penn got an ego more than ever. But then he saw Diego wasn't that big of a challenge. Edgar woke him up at 112. But BJ slept in at 118. I couldn't believe it myself. Edgar was getting such easy shots.

I blame the corner. Penn's corner should have told Penn to take it to the ground going into the second round. The corner never gave any specific strategy to Penn. He actually had to dig deep to find the answer himself, which was to take it to the ground and by then it was too late. He had already been exhausted by rounds 1, 2, and 3.

I blame the corner. Penn's corner should have told Penn to take it to the ground going into the second round. The corner never gave any specific strategy to Penn. He actually had to dig deep to find the answer himself' date=' which was to take it to the ground and by then it was too late. He had already been exhausted by rounds 1, 2, and 3.[/quote']

His main corner guy is a riot. To me, it looks like BJ is getting directions from Joe Dirt. No offense to Joe Dirt fans.:)

Archived