Gilbert Melendez LW #1?

Future_Champ

During the Frankie vs BJ2 fight I thought to myself , well neither of these guys are really bringing the fight and nobody got rocked the entire time , some strong takedowns by Edgar and some decent short shots by Edgar but to me it was a decisive but lackluster victory. I asked myself about midway through the fight if Gilbert Melendez was fighting BJ I think BJ might of been finished, or if Gilbert Melendez was fighting Edgar I think Edgar would have got a true fight , huge shots would have been thrown the speed advantage wouldn't of been so definitive nor the cardio or wrestling ability.

So I am asking do you think Gilbert Melendez has a legit case for being the best Leight Weight in the world?

If not then who do you think is?

i think its more of bj having a great chin and i think he got rocked with a knee at the end

but Melendez vs edgar would be good

I assure you how ever good BJ Penns chin is Gilbert Melendez's is just as good if not better and his cardio and speed along with wrestling ability surpass that off BJ Penn , he hits a lot harder than Edgar and is probably the better wrestler. I could be wrong these are opinions U find probable.

During the Frankie vs BJ2 fight I thought to myself ' date=' well neither of these guys are really bringing the fight and nobody got rocked the entire time , some strong takedowns by Edgar and some decent short shots by Edgar but to me it was a decisive but lackluster victory. I asked myself about midway through the fight if Gilbert Melendez was fighting BJ I think BJ might of been finished, or if Gilbert Melendez was fighting Edgar I think Edgar would have got a true fight , huge shots would have been thrown the speed advantage wouldn't of been so definitive nor the cardio or wrestling ability.

So I am asking do you think Gilbert Melendez has a legit case for being the best Leight Weight in the world?

If not then who do you think is?[/quote']

Melendez does if he can beat Eddie Alvarez, or Aoki again.

Melendez does if he can beat Eddie Alvarez' date=' or Aoki again.[/quote']

Aoki is a can man , I called it before the fight I said

Aoki won't be a able to take Melendez down and Melendez is going to smash Aoki.

If he can beat Eddie Alvarez he definitely the best , sadly Alvez and Lombard are trapped in Bellator unless they lose their belts.

Melendez may be on his way to the UFC as soon as his SF contract comes to an end like mr teammate Shields.

Just an after thought' date=' of Course Melendez has more power cos he has more weight. Frankie Edgar should be at 145lbs, but since UFC doesnt have that weight class he steps in there with the guys at 155lbs like Tyson Griffin.[/quote']

Melendez could make 145 too have you seen him? Edgars strong points come into play because of his size , his speed and movement and cardio are due to him being so small and him cutting little to no weight.

I think its hard to know if a great 155er who can make 145 would do at 145 or not though , the speed gap and cardio is pretty big honestly.

During the Frankie vs BJ2 fight I thought to myself ' date=' well neither of these guys are really bringing the fight and nobody got rocked the entire time , some strong takedowns by Edgar and some decent short shots by Edgar but to me it was a decisive but lackluster victory. I asked myself about midway through the fight if Gilbert Melendez was fighting BJ I think BJ might of been finished, or if Gilbert Melendez was fighting Edgar I think Edgar would have got a true fight , huge shots would have been thrown the speed advantage wouldn't of been so definitive nor the cardio or wrestling ability.

If not then who do you think is?[/quote']

^ I was thinking this during the fight too. The LW rankings just got totally mixed up!!

^ I was thinking this during the fight too. The LW rankings just got totally mixed up!!

Yeah its always been an amazing division with if not the most depth one of the deepest but BJ was shadowing its greatness now that no longer seems to be the case we are instore or a lot of amazing fights.

Aoki is a can man ' date=' I called it before the fight I said

Aoki won't be a able to take Melendez down and Melendez is going to smash Aoki.

If he can beat Eddie Alvarez he definitely the best , sadly Alvez and Lombard are trapped in Bellator unless they lose their belts.

Melendez may be on his way to the UFC as soon as his SF contract comes to an end like mr teammate Shields.[/quote']

Aoki could submit most of the lightweights. I think Alvarez is can be top notch one day, no matter what organization he is in. A win over Huerta will definitly solidify his status. Bellator is a good organization, they have signed some good guys and they have some really good up-and-comers, that's what is different from Bellator and most organizations.

STFU about these ghetto non-ufc fighters. They would get destroyed in the UFC' date=' and that's why they don't fight in it.[/quote']

And that's why you know nothing about MMA except for UFC. UFC doesn't have the best fighters. Most of them, but not the best. There are a ton of guys outside of the UFC who would tear through their divisions. I'm guessing you're 14 or so...

And that's why you know nothing about MMA except for UFC. UFC doesn't have the best fighters. Most of them' date=' but not the best. There are a ton of guys outside of the UFC who would tear through their divisions. I'm guessing you're 14 or so...[/quote']

No you're being a little stupid now.

Fedor WOULD NOT BE SUCCESSFUL at 265.

Shields would not be the champ at 185 and I doubt he will beat GSP

Overeem would not be the champ at 265 either though I have him in the top 5

Gilbert might be the best and is definitely one of the very best LWs

Nick Diaz is a top 8 WW but definitely not the best.

Hector Lombard is a top 5 MW and has a shot to be the best ( I'm bias I've met him and go down to ATT )

Aoki is a can.

Alverez is a top 155er but not the best.

Werdum... Don't make me laugh.

If the guys you think will tear through the UFC aren't on this list let me know.

Congrats ' date=' I think the best LW is between Maynard , Edgar and Gilbert right now, more so between Gilbert and Maynard though.[/quote']

thanks.well maynard holds edgars only defeat so its really hard to tell.but by winning twice over penn is different.as your sig says,maynard will be the next lw champ,i wouldn't be so surprised to see that with grays performance against kenflo.if ever i would love to see how gray will fight penn.

thanks.well maynard holds edgars only defeat so its really hard to tell.but by winning twice over penn is different.as your sig says' date='maynard will be the next lw champ,i wouldn't be so surprised to see that with grays performance against kenflo.if ever i would love to see how gray will fight penn.[/quote']

Ehh BJ needs to wake the **** up , he didn't even try to beat Edgar , neither of the fighters really brought it and came to take the belt , Edgar went on cruiz control ad just kept doing what he needed to do to get the W and BJ let him.

I think Maynard will go at whoever and fights and make sure he wins , he could have done better vs Kenflo but beating Kenflo in itself is a big deal. Theres a lot of questions at 155 and they will be answer soon enough.

Stephens vs Guillard '

Sherk vs Dunham

Edgar vs Maynard.

Penn and Kenflo losing kind of made an impact and I think Gilbert needs recognition as a very top 155 too.

Ehh BJ needs to wake the **** up ' date=' he didn't even try to beat Edgar , neither of the fighters really brought it and came to take the belt , Edgar went on cruiz control ad just kept doing what he needed to do to get the W and BJ let him.

I think Maynard will go at whoever and fights and make sure he wins , he could have done better vs Kenflo but beating Kenflo in itself is a big deal. Theres a lot of questions at 155 and they will be answer soon enough.

Stephens vs Guillard '

Sherk vs Dunham

Edgar vs Maynard.

Penn and Kenflo losing kind of made an impact and I think Gilbert needs recognition as a very top 155 too.[/quote']

penn didn't have a new plan on the fight.edgad maintained and do what he does last fight to win the 2nd fight.well yes melendez also needs recognition,no doubt about it.well tonight made an impact on the LW rankings and it will be all answered after the next events.

No you're being a little stupid now.

Fedor WOULD NOT BE SUCCESSFUL at 265.

Shields would not be the champ at 185 and I doubt he will beat GSP

Overeem would not be the champ at 265 either though I have him in the top 5

Gilbert might be the best and is definitely one of the very best LWs

Nick Diaz is a top 8 WW but definitely not the best.

Hector Lombard is a top 5 MW and has a shot to be the best ( I'm bias I've met him and go down to ATT )

Aoki is a can.

Alverez is a top 155er but not the best.

Werdum... Don't make me laugh.

If the guys you think will tear through the UFC aren't on this list let me know.

Every single one of them would put a dent in the division at the least. Who are you to say that they won't ever be UFC champ. Because they aren't signed to the UFC? All I'm sayin is that there are a bunch of guys out there who can do it. And Werdum, he got KO'd by JDS, the only KO of his career. I'm not saying he should be at the top but give the guy some credit. Just because you're not in the UFC doesn't mean you're ****

penn didn't have a new plan on the fight.edgad maintained and do what he does last fight to win the 2nd fight.well yes melendez also needs recognition' date='no doubt about it.well tonight made an impact on the LW rankings and it will be all answered after the next events.[/quote']

The questions are almost never answered haha , or they never should be because I want to see non stop competitive fights. Edgar vs BJ was not what I'd love to see for a title fight or any fight really , I enjoyed it and theres worse fights but I really wish they would have both brought it more.

Every single one of them would put a dent in the division at the least. Who are you to say that they won't ever be UFC champ. Because they aren't signed to the UFC? All I'm sayin is that there are a bunch of guys out there who can do it. And Werdum' date=' he got KO'd by JDS, the only KO of his career. I'm not saying he should be at the top but give the guy some credit. Just because you're not in the UFC doesn't mean you're ****[/quote']

I think you know I'm not a fanboy and aware of fighters greatness.I'm just keeping it real, I don't care if a fighter fights behind McDonalds if I think hes the best I'll voice it and if he fights in the UFC and I think hes the best I'll voice it.

I just don;t see how guys like Aoki and Kawajiri who haven't beate anyone in the top 10 for MANY MANY years are considered top 10 LWs , neither of them are its evident. Alvarez and Gilbert definitely are despite their lackluster competion , but UFC has the best fighters simply because you have to beat the best to be the best and for the most part the UFC has the best fighters and the most talent and the fiercest competition.

I do recognize some of these nobodies these guys beat outside the UFC are in fact somebodies and they deserve more credit but like I said I'm trying to be realistic.

I think you know I'm not a fanboy and aware of fighters greatness.I'm just keeping it real' date=' I don't care if a fighter fights behind McDonalds if I think hes the best I'll voice it and if he fights in the UFC and I think hes the best I'll voice it.

I just don;t see how guys like Aoki and Kawajiri who haven't beate anyone in the top 10 for MANY MANY years are considered top 10 LWs , neither of them are its evident. Alvarez and Gilbert definitely are despite their lackluster competion , but UFC has the best fighters simply because you have to beat the best to be the best and for the most part the UFC has the best fighters and the most talent and the fiercest competition.

I do recognize some of these nobodies these guys beat outside the UFC are in fact somebodies and they deserve more credit but like I said I'm trying to be realistic.[/quote']

That's what I'm saying, UFC has the best fighters, but they don't have the best fighters. If that makes sense.... There are so many guys out there that, just because they aren't in the UFC, don't matter. I'm a fan of every MMA organization. But most people these days think that if someone isn't in the UFC, they are irrelevant. I'm sorry for putting you in that category, I just thought you were one of those people. But if you acknowledge Alvarez and Melendez for there lackluster competition, you better put Aoki and Kawaijiri in there. Same thing with Fedor I guess. Definitely (IMO) the best heavyweight ever, but not anymore. But I also think Lesnar isn't the top heavyweight, just because of his competition

That's what I'm saying' date=' UFC has the best fighters, but they don't have the best fighters. If that makes sense.... There are so many guys out there that, just because they aren't in the UFC, don't matter. I'm a fan of every MMA organization. But most people these days think that if someone isn't in the UFC, they are irrelevant. I'm sorry for putting you in that category, I just thought you were one of those people. But if you acknowledge Alvarez and Melendez for there lackluster competition, you better put Aoki and Kawaijiri in there. Same thing with Fedor I guess. Definitely (IMO) the best heavyweight ever, but not anymore. But I also think Lesnar isn't the top heavyweight, just because of his competition[/quote']

Aoki is a can I don't care if he was LW UFC champ , if you have a takedown defense you will win and he doesn't even have a strong takedown he has to beat those jap clowns with his grasping shorts.

Kawajiri is good yes , hes good enough to stay in the UFC hes probably better than guys like Spencer Fisher I just don't believe him or Aoki deserve a top 10 spot in these day and age.

Yeah people are stupid discrediting guys like Lombard and Fedor.

I believe Brock is the best HW in the world right now though I'll be rooting for Cain , if he beats Cain you cannot deny it even if you wish Brock was dead lol.

Beating Carwin , Couture , Frank Mir , and Cain Velasquez is good enough to be the best period.

Heath Herring is no slouch and honestly Lesnar was screwed out of his first fight with mr MUR

Aoki is a can I don't care if he was LW UFC champ ' date=' if you have a takedown defense you will win and he doesn't even have a strong takedown he has to beat those jap clowns with his grasping shorts.

Kawajiri is good yes , hes good enough to stay in the UFC hes probably better than guys like Spencer Fisher I just don't believe him or Aoki deserve a top 10 spot in these day and age.

Yeah people are stupid discrediting guys like Lombard and Fedor.

I believe Brock is the best HW in the world right now though I'll be rooting for Cain , if he beats Cain you cannot deny it even if you wish Brock was dead lol.

Beating Carwin , Couture , Frank Mirx2 , and Cain Velasquez is good enough to be the best period.[/quote']

Yeah I'm not talkin about Aoki and Kawajiri. But Lesnar hasn't really beat anyone.....people the UFC hype yes... If he beat Cain I will give him more credit, just like I gave him after Carwin. But...I still don't think he earned the top spot. Honestly don't know who has but after that many fights it kind of seems ridiculous to put him at #1. Especially when people say Fedor isn't anything after all the people he has beat (not saying Fedor is #1, and I am a fan, not that big though). Diaz, Mousasi, Babalu, Hendo, Melendez, Overeem would all do pretty damn good in the UFC. And there are many others who, like every other contender, would learn from their mistakes and grow from them. All I'm saying is there are tons of contenders out there. Carwin and JDS weren't contenders before the UFC starting hyping them and they got better

Yeah I'm not talkin about Aoki and Kawajiri. But Lesnar hasn't really beat anyone.....people the UFC hype yes... If he beat Cain I will give him more credit' date=' just like I gave him after Carwin. But...I still don't think he earned the top spot. Honestly don't know who has but after that many fights it kind of seems ridiculous to put him at #1. Especially when people say Fedor isn't anything after all the people he has beat (not saying Fedor is #1, and I am a fan, not that big though). Diaz, Mousasi, Babalu, Hendo, Melendez, Overeem would all do pretty damn good in the UFC. And there are many others who, like every other contender, would learn from their mistakes and grow from them. All I'm saying is there are tons of contenders out there. Carwin and JDS weren't contenders before the UFC starting hyping them and they got better[/quote']

Hendo is old he would't cut it in the UFC anymore but hes one of my all time favorites , If Hendo would have always stuck at 185 he would have been considered one of the greatest , he was beating Anderson but wanted to slug. Hendo is one of the few highly decorated wrestlers who wants to go in and FIGHT with heart and finish, hes the fukcing man period. The Shields fight isn't what everyone should think of him and he started MMA really late.

Bobalu would not cut it at LHW at all and probably washout after a while at MW.

Overeem would make it big.

Diaz would be a top contender probably fight for the title.

Mousasi would get crushed at 205 but if he dropped back down to 185 I think he'd be a force and a conteder.

Gilbert is the man right now.

Jake Shields is the second best WW in the world.

I could bore you with a long response but I'll keep it short.

Gilbery Melendez #1 LW until next fight' date=' no matter what happens..

Then all rankings will place either Maynard/Edgar ahead of him.

Rankings are extremely bias to UFC fighters.[/quote']

They kind of should be bias to the UFC fighters because they fight the stiffest competition consistently.

Though I feel theres quite a bit of guys outside the UFC like Marius Zaromskis , hes legit an could definitely hold his own despite his recent loses but is viewed as a nobody because of them and him ot being in the UFC.

They kind of should be bias to the UFC fighters because they fight the stiffest competition consistently.

Though I feel theres quite a bit of guys outside the UFC like Marius Zaromskis ' date=' hes legit an could definitely hold his own despite his recent loses but is viewed as a nobody because of them and him ot being in the UFC.[/quote']

Isn't he currently on a 2 fight losing streak? ;)

Isn't he currently on a 2 fight losing streak? ;)

Yeah but I still think he's a legit fighter.

Ben Henderson deserves a nod too I think he could hang with guys like Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard and hes been improving a lot through his fights.Hes young I think we will see him make an impact in the UFC 155 division eventually.

( Not a fan of his whole PRAISE LORD bit but I respect him as a fighter and person :D )

Yeah but I still think he's a legit fighter.

Ben Henderson deserves a nod too I think he could hang with guys like Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard and hes been improving a lot through his fights.

Oh of course.

Whitemare is DEFINITELY a scary striker, VERY legit lol.

Smooth I'm still not sold on.

Although he's looked impressive lately (especially in his win over Cerrone), I'm still not convinced he has the overall capabilities to compete in the UFC. He's a good all around fighter... but I still haven't seen any real "greatness" from him yet. Not sure if you get what I mean though lol.

Oh of course.

Whitemare is DEFINITELY a scary striker' date=' VERY legit lol.

Smooth I'm still not sold on.

Although he's looked impressive lately (especially in his win over Cerrone), I'm still not convinced he has the overall capabilities to compete in the UFC. He's a good all around fighter... but I still haven't seen any real "greatness" from him yet. Not sure if you get what I mean though lol.[/quote']

Nothing about Bendo shines brightly ? Hes solid everywhere but it seems lacks the mastery to be someone of an elite caliber? Yeah I get exactly what you mean sir. ;)

Nothing about Bendo shines brightly ? Hes solid everywhere but it seems lacks the mastery to be someone of an elite caliber? Yeah I get exactly what you mean sir. ;)

Haha glad we see eye to eye ;)

Anyways, I should probably head to bed before I get an aneurysm lol.

Archived