Tell me if I'm right about BJ Penn

m3talh3ad123

Try not to troll and say BJ Penn sucks major **** just because he lost, lets all try to be nice. I really don't think that he is done what so ever. BJ has proven he can be lighting fast in the Sanchez, Florian, and Sherk fights. Where he slips is when his opponent is unpredictable. We have seen it in both fights with Edgar, and we saw it in both fights against GSP. Not to mention, his corner was not the greatest this fight. Instead of screaming about how Frankie is a ********** and doesn't deserve to fight you, maybe they should have pointed out to kick out his lead leg so he would slow down a bit. IDK, but that would have been the logical thing to do.

Most logical thing to do was to take him to the ground.His stand up wasn't effective what so ever on the feet.So why stay standing?I don't get it.Once he got him down the couple of times.Frankie had a hard time,and had to bolt back up.If he did this the wholy 25 minutes.He could of had many opportunities and didn't try it.Till later in the rounds.Lots of kicks would of worked too.followed by take downs.Frankies pillow fists weren't doing much damage.Just frustrating BJ and taking him off any game plan he was deciding to do.Just outworked.

yea I agree, I don't recall any cuts on BJ's face after the fight. I really hope to see a rematch after BJ climbs the totem poll again. Definatly no immediate rematch. I respect Edgar, but I will be rooting for Maynard just because of the rivalry between Edgar and Penn. Also, I really think BJ needs to get a new camp. I'm thinking Greg Jackson's gym. Greg is such a good strategic coach which BJ needs so bad. Penn had no strategy walking into that fight whatsoever.

BJ Penn had many months to study the tape. Edgar didn't come in much different than in their first fight. BJ Penn shouldn't hve needed his corner for anything outside of something cold to drink.

Sure he had the tape to study but that doesn't mean you don't need your corner. Your corner is the best strategic group you have when your in the fight. They should be telling you what to do so you can win the next round. It's almost like parents of a 5 year old child just throwing their kid into an Advanced Calculous class and just saying "you know what to do"

BJ is a mental guy. If his mind isn't right all his talent and ability goes to waste. That said Edgar changed BJ's state of mind. He jazzed up the first fight and left no doubt. By the 4th BJ was not into the fight anymore. Edgar would take him down and get up from the ground as if BJ wasn't even there.

I'm a HUGE BJ fan but he got beat decisively tonight. Edgar like GSP took BJ out of his zone and beat him up after. Against Kenny, Sherk, Sanchez, BJ was in control and never lost it and was dominant.

Most logical thing to do was to take him to the ground.His stand up wasn't effective what so ever on the feet.So why stay standing?I don't get it.Once he got him down the couple of times.Frankie had a hard time' date='and had to bolt back up.If he did this the wholy 25 minutes.He could of had many opportunities and didn't try it.Till later in the rounds.Lots of kicks would of worked too.followed by take downs.Frankies pillow fists weren't doing much damage.Just frustrating BJ and taking him off any game plan he was deciding to do.Just outworked.[/quote']

it makes sense.frankie is too fast and bj is having hard time catching him with his jabs.i was also thinking that bj should have took the fight to the ground.but frankie always finds a way of standing up.although bj can take all frankies punches,the problem is edgar is winning on points.

Fair assumption.

The BJ Penn as of late just hasn't looked the same dominating guy we've seen in the past.

His corner is absolutely horrid, they're all yes men.

That aside, I wouldn't say fighting faster fighters seems to be his weakness - but his mental toughness is. Let me elaborate (seeing as I've seen 102983109831 noobs post he's been "exposed" and what not because they started watching MMA when Brock Lesnar came in).

BJ Penn - the man - is known to have a big head. Frankly, his massive natural aptitude in the fight game - ALL facets of the fight game - have gotten him to be so successful to this point in his career. When he faces a fighter who seems to be able to beat him at ANY facet of the fight game, instead of going for the path of least resistance (a la GSP) he tries to simply out-talent them. In his match-up against Edgar, we've seen him TWICE be frustrated by the boxing of Edgar. We've also seen him TWICE try to outbox him instead of using his world-class Jiu-Jitsu.

He's not done in any way, but he needs a major lifestyle overhaul if he wants to regain his title as king of the LWs.

Fair assumption.

The BJ Penn as of late just hasn't looked the same dominating guy we've seen in the past.

His corner is absolutely horrid' date=' they're all yes men.

That aside, I wouldn't say fighting faster fighters seems to be his weakness - but his mental toughness is. Let me elaborate (seeing as I've seen 102983109831 noobs post he's been "exposed" and what not because they started watching MMA when Brock Lesnar came in).

BJ Penn - the man - is known to have a big head. Frankly, his massive natural aptitude in the fight game - ALL facets of the fight game - have gotten him to be so successful to this point in his career. When he faces a fighter who seems to be able to beat him at ANY facet of the fight game, instead of going for the path of least resistance (a la GSP) he tries to simply out-talent them. In his match-up against Edgar, we've seen him TWICE be frustrated by the boxing of Edgar. We've also seen him TWICE try to outbox him instead of using his world-class Jiu-Jitsu.

He's not done in any way, but he needs a major lifestyle overhaul if he wants to regain his title as king of the LWs.[/quote']

so in your knowledgable op..... what camp would bj best go 2 and who should his next opponent be?

anybody heard any baby J excuses yet?

he obviously has one prepared.

"okay BJ, you go into the fight, and before it starts, stand awkwardly still with your arms at your side. this way, after the fight you can say you werent yourself because of _________ and use your stance at the begining of the fight as proof"

he obviously has one prepared.

"okay BJ' date=' you go into the fight, and before it starts, stand awkwardly still with your arms at your side. this way, after the fight you can say you werent yourself because of _________ and use your stance at the begining of the fight as proof"[/quote']

hahaha..... he will prob come out with a quote like that aswell.... not long til we start hearing some whiney bs excuses.....

so in your knowledgable op..... what camp would bj best go 2 and who should his next opponent be?

Camp? I can't say.

There's many great camps out there but I would say ATT would probably be most suited towards his skills.

Great stable of fighters in each weight class to work with.

Then there's also AKA, which IMO is the best camp in MMA in terms of strategy.

His next opponent? I can't say to be honest.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll give him a gatekeeper type fighter though, just to build his confidence back up.

yea I suppose' date=' but I think BJ should just accept that he doesn't really need to be fighting as a welter weight[/quote']

His pride has always been the issue.

Winning the world grappling tournament in only 3 years of training? Major ego boost.

He likes to challenge himself, but he's not willing to apply himself in order to do it. All of his weight jumps have been him just putting on fat, and riding talent. So does he need to fight at welterweight? Not at all, but he will because he still thinks he's that "better than everyone" type of fighter.

His pride has always been the issue.

Winning the world grappling tournament in only 3 years of training? Major ego boost.

He likes to challenge himself' date=' but he's not willing to apply himself in order to do it. All of his weight jumps have been him just putting on fat, and riding talent. So does he need to fight at welterweight? Not at all, but he will because he still thinks he's that "better than everyone" type of fighter.[/quote']

Yeah, his ego gets a little out of hand. Oh well, I just hope his corner changes. Those baboons were just giving him pep talks.

what would ur advice have been...?

Kristufa: Umm Hey Uhhh do what fedor does' date='

BJ Penn: Tap out?[/quote']

Err?

I'm an MMA fan first.

But if you must know BJ Penn and Anderson Silva are my favorite fighters of all time.

Fedor isn't even top 10.

My advice?

Take him down and keep him there.

That's it, short and sweet.

Err?

I'm an MMA fan first.

But if you must know BJ Penn and Anderson Silva are my favorite fighters of all time.

Fedor isn't even top 10.

My advice?

Take him down and keep him there.

That's it' date=' short and sweet.[/quote']

it wouldnt have worked, he tried that and franky was on his feet in a matter of seconds

it wouldnt have worked' date=' he tried that and franky was on his feet in a matter of seconds[/quote']

So?

What does Jon Fitch do?

Take them down and keep them there correct?

The thing is that Fitch doesn't give up his position because he doesn't really have intent to finish.

If you re-watch, Frankie's ability to get up was due to the many transitions and sub attempts BJ kept trying to do.

You'll also note he only did that on what? 2 occasions?

Take him down and keep him there. That means REPEATED takedowns (which, as shown in the 3rd and 5th rounds he could do quite easily) and working from there.

Comprende my "special" friend? ;)

So?

What does Jon Fitch do?

The thing is that Fitch doesn't give up his position because he doesn't really have intent to finish.

If you re-watch' date=' Frankie's ability to get up was due to the many transitions and sub attempts BJ kept trying to do.

Take him down and keep him there. That means REPEATED takedowns (which, as shown in the 3rd and 5th rounds he could do quite easily) and working from there.

Comprende my "special" friend? ;)[/quote']

Why is there so much idiocy overwhelming the forums?Or is it just me.I'm not directing that to you.I'm directing it to the person you're replying to.

Why is there so much idiocy overwhelming the forums?Or is it just me.I'm not directing that to you.I'm directing it to the person you're replying to.

Lol I hate to say it but the term "Zuffa zombies" comes to mind.

Buying COMPLETELY into the pre-fight hype, and not really using real logic to create comebacks.

Although I love him, I have to place a little bit of blame on Brock Lesnar for the new influx of "special folk" ;)

Lol I hate to say it but the term "Zuffa zombies" comes to mind.

Buying COMPLETELY into the pre-fight hype' date=' and not really using real logic to create comebacks.

Although I love him, I have to place a little bit of blame on Brock Lesnar for the new influx of "special folk" ;)[/quote']

well at least we have people here with good insight here with MMA like you and a few others I can count on my two hands.I do agree with the last part you said about Brock Lesnar,but I guess that's what makes this forum interesting sometimes.Different personalities is like the different spices of life,but sometimes it can just be frustrating debating to knuckleheads.Lol.Anyways I'm off.6 am.Should be sleeping lol.

well at least we have people here with good insight here with MMA like you and a few others I can count on my two hands.I do agree with the last part you said about Brock Lesnar' date='but I guess that's what makes this forum interesting sometimes.Different personalities is like the different spices of life,but sometimes it can just be frustrating debating to knuckleheads.Lol.Anyways I'm off.6 am.Should be sleeping lol.[/quote']

Lol much appreciated, and good to know there's a few good ones out there ;) haha

Yeah I should head out too, I JUST noticed it's 6 :eek:

Try not to troll and say BJ Penn sucks major **** just because he lost' date=' lets all try to be nice. I really don't think that he is done what so ever. BJ has proven he can be lighting fast in the Sanchez, Florian, and Sherk fights. Where he slips is when his opponent is unpredictable. We have seen it in both fights with Edgar, and we saw it in both fights against GSP. Not to mention, his corner was not the greatest this fight. Instead of screaming about how Frankie is a ********** and doesn't deserve to fight you, maybe they should have pointed out to kick out his lead leg so he would slow down a bit. IDK, but that would have been the logical thing to do.[/quote']

BJ has become a falt footed boxer....who has began to believe the Hype the UFC and his corner say about him.........but he used to be a talent above all the rest in the UFC in the past.....now he has just become average. He whines, calls people yellow, coward etc.....but BJs personality makes it very easy to break his will........Matt Hughes did it, GSP did it, and now Frankie Edgar did it twice....

BJ needs to drop to 145 and go to the WEC and let Aldo kick his butt too!

Give it a week.....BJ will be bad mouthing Frankie Edgar again...LOL

and by the way BJ ....no one wants to go to http://www.BJPENN.com.....we are tired of hearing that crap....along with that Hawaiian song!

And get a real camp and leave your brother at home....thats not a real camp....thats just your little Posse.....who tell you what you want to hear.

So?What does Jon Fitch do?

If you re-watch' date=' Frankie's ability to get up was due to the many transitions and sub attempts BJ kept trying to do.

Comprende my "special" friend? ;)[/quote']

soooo what im saying is it wouldnt work kiddo

Archived