After tonight, are you officially sick of 1-dimensional, takedown-spamming, LnP?

ians1406052945

And I'm not even referring to the main event. BJ got his **** kicked. Anyone find it funny that during the prelims, as Joe Rogan was hyping about what a pumped and at 100% asskicking vengeance state Penn is in, we're stuck at a camera feed of Penn in his locker room yawning? Hahaha. But I digress. My cases in point are -

Andre Winner vs Nik Lentz. Dreadfully boring to watch. Textbook case of aggressive british(and therefore almost cartoonishly suckass-ish at wrestling) striker being dryhumped by a wrestler that's so afraid to occasionally throw a hit that he can't help doing nothing but wait for a takedown chance when Winner is actually trying to fight him. Of course, after that.. Just gets uglier. We watch carnie boy(lamest fight name ever) hit him with pillow cases that you know a 2-year old paraplegic toddler with narcolepsy could inflict more physical pain with.

Kenny Florian vs Gray Maynard. Once again the guy too afraid to try out the mixed aspect of the sport and actually try finishing a fight ends up spamming the takedowns and basically dryhumps and has his biggest shots get blocked. I like Gray, just attempt to finish fights, man. I sense a GSP-esque fear in him of losing his undefeated record. Proof, you say? We all saw how childishly butthurt he got after knocking himself out in that embarrassing failboat of a takedown(his 53,254th out of 96,762 career takedown attempts) against Rob Emerson.

The most satisfying thing to alleviate this frustration, however, was Dan Miller choking that Salter bum out while catching him on the takedown attempt. Hilarious. I'm not even against the takedown itself, it's what you do after securing it. Agree/Disagree.

Lentz fight was boring, but Winner could have prevented that by actually not allowing him to clinch up all the time. Winner's fault. He accepted losing ugly.

I don't even understand Maynard/Kenny.

90% of that fight was standing without any clinchwork whatsoever, so you are obviously a trolling moron.

the chael sonnen kind of wrestling is great and entertaining but the LnP wrestling like GSP ' date=' fitch ... is killing the sport[/quote']

^^This.

I don't even understand Maynard/Kenny.

90% of that fight was standing without any clinchwork whatsoever' date=' so you are obviously a trolling moron.[/quote']

Hey, guy. Let's not BS ourselves. About 90% of the standup was them pacing each other, Gray virtually refusing to throw anything. He'd rather wait for kendawg to grow frustrated and give up his million feints and go for something that actually resembles fighting. after that, gray would take him down and the fat lady sang. it's cool, win by any means necessary, but you're still going to look like someone without the cajones to finish fights in the end. just sayin!

^^This.

Hey' date=' guy. Let's not BS ourselves. About 90% of the standup was them pacing each other, Gray virtually refusing to throw anything. He'd rather wait for kendawg to grow frustrated and give up his million feints and go for something that actually resembles fighting. after that, gray would take him down and the fat lady sang. it's cool, win by any means necessary, but you're still going to look like someone without the cajones to finish fights in the end. just sayin![/quote']

Compustrike:

Total strikes thrown by maynard: 85

Total strikes by Florian: 84

Total strikes landed by Maynard:60

Total strikes landed by Florian : 28

Maynard not only threw more strikes than kenny , he outlanded those strikes over 2 to 1 ratio.

You are a moron, just saying.

Compustrike:

Total strikes thrown by maynard: 85

Total strikes by Florian: 84

Total strikes landed by Maynard:60

Total strikes landed by Florian : 28

Maynard not only threw more strikes than kenny ' date=' he outlanded those strikes over 2 to 1 ratio.

You are a moron, just saying.[/quote']

Total strikes, eh? I'm assuming that includes 1-dimensional-wrestling-induced PILLOWFISTS. Dispensing stock insults doesn't solidify your case, man. Let alone your pseudo-evidence.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this. I'm not even butthurt over something that defies logic. You know when you're trying to see an exciting fight worth watching more than once? Those fights will NEVER be those fights.

all fights cant be "those fights" or "those fights" wouldnt exist

the chael sonnen kind of wrestling is great and entertaining but the LnP wrestling like GSP ' date=' fitch ... is killing the sport[/quote']

The problem is... Chael takes risks by pounding away rather than just controlling his opponents...as can be seen by how many times he has been caught in a sub.

And I'm not even referring to the main event. BJ got his **** kicked. Anyone find it funny that during the prelims' date=' as Joe Rogan was hyping about what a pumped and at 100% asskicking vengeance state Penn is in, we're stuck at a camera feed of Penn in his locker room yawning? Hahaha. But I digress. My cases in point are -

[b']Andre Winner vs Nik Lentz.[/b] Dreadfully boring to watch. Textbook case of aggressive british(and therefore almost cartoonishly suckass-ish at wrestling) striker being dryhumped by a wrestler that's so afraid to occasionally throw a hit that he can't help doing nothing but wait for a takedown chance when Winner is actually trying to fight him. Of course, after that.. Just gets uglier. We watch carnie boy(lamest fight name ever) hit him with pillow cases that you know a 2-year old paraplegic toddler with narcolepsy could inflict more physical pain with.

Kenny Florian vs Gray Maynard. Once again the guy too afraid to try out the mixed aspect of the sport and actually try finishing a fight ends up spamming the takedowns and basically dryhumps and has his biggest shots get blocked. I like Gray, just attempt to finish fights, man. I sense a GSP-esque fear in him of losing his undefeated record. Proof, you say? We all saw how childishly butthurt he got after knocking himself out in that embarrassing failboat of a takedown(his 53,254th out of 96,762 career takedown attempts) against Rob Emerson.

The most satisfying thing to alleviate this frustration, however, was Dan Miller choking that Salter bum out while catching him on the takedown attempt. Hilarious. I'm not even against the takedown itself, it's what you do after securing it. Agree/Disagree.

Hey man, I agree with you! Hell, not all ground fighting is boring. Look at Joe Lauzon, that was one of the most explosive openings I have ever seen in my life.

Hey man' date=' I agree with you! Hell, not all ground fighting is boring. Look at Joe Lauzon, that was one of the most explosive openings I have ever seen in my life.[/quote']

THANK YOU! Someone that can actually read. Lauzon looked like a motha****in G last night. Edgar legitimately smashed BJ, Penn just doesn't seem to have that fire in the belly anymore. Randy did what he had to do, in hilarious fashion. I have no problems with these fights. I enjoyed the heck out of them. I'm referring to Nik Lentz being too much of a coward to even attempt finishing a fight(let alone do anything but shoot for takedowns the second Winner went on the attack), and Maynard doing just what he needs to do to win a match on points. It wasn't even like he was looking to fight. He literally refused to attack. Just waited til Kendawg's back was near a cage to work a takedown. There was hardly much else.

THANK YOU! Someone that can actually read. Lauzon looked like a motha****in G last night. Edgar legitimately smashed BJ' date=' Penn just doesn't seem to have that fire in the belly anymore. Randy did what he had to do, in hilarious fashion. I have [b']no[/b] problems with these fights. I enjoyed the heck out of them. I'm referring to Nik Lentz being too much of a coward to even attempt finishing a fight(let alone do anything but shoot for takedowns the second Winner went on the attack), and Maynard doing just what he needs to do to win a match on points. It wasn't even like he was looking to fight. He literally refused to attack. Just waited til Kendawg's back was near a cage to work a takedown. There was hardly much else.

No problem, I am a fan of exciting fights, really who isn't? Go check out the Lents vs Winner sticky thread, me n this guy are havin an arguement, he is actually defending Lentz.

Not sick of the ground game yet but Edgars feather punching for points did make me want to throw up a little bit.

Nik Lentz will make you wanna throw up exorcism style in that case. It was just pathetic. At least Frankie beat up BJ Penn instead of wait around for the chance to shoot during the standup. I give him his due.

I like wrestling - problem is that too often you can sense that it is not leading anywhere other than decision.

At least with the Sonnen version of wrestling you feel as though it is going somewhere, be it a sub loss for Sonnen or damage for the other guy - or both (see Silva v Sonnen)

I like wrestling - problem is that too often you can sense that it is not leading anywhere other than decision.

At least with the Sonnen version of wrestling you feel as though it is going somewhere' date=' be it a sub loss for Sonnen or damage for the other guy - or both (see Silva v Sonnen)[/quote']

Yup, the way I see it. Their are two different types of fighters: exciting or boring.

They need to change the scoring system, I agree if you get TD after TD then you are 'dominating', but if you manage little or no damage, in my book you should need to get 5 TD in a round to win the round 10-9. They need to score punches as better than TD's, because only this will stop the conservative lay on top to win approach. It would see a big change in the champions no doubt, but would also promote far more entertaining fights. I enjoy the wrestling and tactical battles, however I believe the current scoring system favours conservatism and therefore boring fights will always happen regularly.

I cant believe how many people complain over this aspect of the fight its ridiculous, sure wrestling is boring at times but for all these MMA fans that just want to purely see kickboxing and boxing your in the wrong sport and you might say its mixed martial arts not wrestling but there all aspects of the game and if you can take somebody down and impose your will on them and get the W why wouldnt you ? So many cry babies on this forum that think there always right, superior, or everyone should drop dead and listen to what they say kinda pathetic actually...

takedowns are part of it. if a guy is just laying on top all the one on bottom has to do is hold on and stall for a few seconds and get it stood back up. its not that difficult and all people have to do is learn to sprawl and they wouldnt get taken down. and to say GSPs gameplan is ruining the sport give me a freaking break. he is one of the smartest fighters in the game right now. if he knows your stand up is better than his guess what its going to the ground. hes a smart fighter and to say hes ruining the sport proves that many of the people posting on here are either haters or totally ignorant of mma

takedowns are part of it. if a guy is just laying on top all the one on bottom has to do is hold on and stall for a few seconds and get it stood back up. its not that difficult and all people have to do is learn to sprawl and they wouldnt get taken down. and to say GSPs gameplan is ruining the sport give me a freaking break. he is one of the smartest fighters in the game right now. if he knows your stand up is better than his guess what its going to the ground. hes a smart fighter and to say hes ruining the sport proves that many of the people posting on here are either haters or totally ignorant of mma

Agreed the nerve of some "Fans" of the sport

I have no problem with wrestling aspect of MMA. However, I feel that L'n'P is not a part of MMA.

If you are trying to go to the judges and just control you opponent on the ground I feel it is pointless. fighters should be attempig to end fights by strikes, submissions, or breaking down you opponents will. Not by just holding a guy down and laying on him while slapping a guy in the rib cage.

I do think Dana White made a good point. the Refs are poor at the stand up rule. in the rules it states that if a guy is not trying to improve his position then it should be stood up and I dont think the Refs do this enough. They sit on their **** and let guys just fake like they are staying busy.

Fighters like Sonnen, Kos, Lesnar, Randy out wrestle guys and then try to GnP a win or make openings for submissions.

In the end all fighters should be attemtping to finish a fight and I dont think the Refs enforce the rules to prevent LnP

no' date=' mma is mma, quit ur crying and go watch boxing or something than u wont have to worry about people taking other people down[/quote']

Exactly...MMA not wrestling. All Maynard did was run around and wait for the takedown. And Lentz...enough said.

The thing that annoyed me about Lentz is that he didn't even utilise his wrestling well. He spent the first 2 rounds trying and failing to get Andre to the ground, but seen as they were by the fence, Lentz was in control and was therefore deemed to have dominated the round.

The third round was a better show from Lentz (probably due to Winner's fatigue), but I still don't particularly enjoy watching a wrestler with no talent in any other aspect of MMA lying on another guy while making no attempt to finish the fight. And all this on a Spike card. Way to sell the PPV.

As for the Maynard fight. Maynard won by utilising his wrestling, but at least he attempted to utilise his striking, and advanced position when he was on the ground. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Maynard fan, but in comparison to the Lentz fight, it wasn't a bad fight at all. I think a lot of people just think with their heart on this kind of thing, and deem it to be a boring fight, just because it's the fan favourite that's getting beaten.

Nik Lentz will make you wanna throw up exorcism style in that case. It was just pathetic. At least Frankie beat up BJ Penn instead of wait around for the chance to shoot during the standup. I give him his due.

LOL I did have to fast forward some of that fight. Thank god for DVR.

I have no problem with wrestling aspect of MMA. However' date=' I feel that L'n'P is not a part of MMA.

If you are trying to go to the judges and just control you opponent on the ground I feel it is pointless. fighters should be attempig to end fights by strikes, submissions, or breaking down you opponents will. Not by just holding a guy down and laying on him while slapping a guy in the rib cage.

I do think Dana White made a good point. the Refs are poor at the stand up rule. in the rules it states that if a guy is not trying to improve his position then it should be stood up and I dont think the Refs do this enough. They sit on their **** and let guys just fake like they are staying busy.

Fighters like Sonnen, Kos, Lesnar, Randy out wrestle guys and then try to GnP a win or make openings for submissions.

In the end all fighters should be attemtping to finish a fight and I dont think the Refs enforce the rules to prevent LnP[/quote']

Perfect answer. If the guy doesn't want to attempt a finish then he shouldn't be fighting.

Example: The most recent Penn/GSP fight. A guy steps up a weight class and you are still too scared to stand with him or even to attempt a finish on the ground by ground and pound? That makes you pathetic.

It's been said before, but doing a card system like Pride would be beneficial. It would keep wrestlers moving and f*gs like Thales Laites from constantly falling on the ground trying to coax the other fighter to go to the ground as well.

Exactly...MMA not wrestling. All Maynard did was run around and wait for the takedown. And Lentz...enough said.

Yes! All I've been saying. how this has gotten misconstrued is beyond me. I even did the regretful act of watching Maynard v Florian a second time' date=' and all that did was solidify my opinion. THE ENTIRE FIRST MINUTES OF ROUND ONE WAS MAYNARD REFUSING TO FIGHT. Only until Florian got frustrated enough to throw the first strikes is when he got taken down. I know Kendawg's td defense isn't exactly something to write home about, but simply sprawling will not prevent you from getting taken down especially when you're in the middle of actually attacking because MINUTES just went by during a PPV fight where no engagements have been made. Call that entertainment if you will, to me and lots of other people, it's an insult to our intelligence. If you're an MMA fighter that refuses to commit to anything other than keeping distance and showing no interest in doing anything for longer than a minute, take off a point. [i']Something[/i]! Sheesh

Perfect answer. If the guy doesn't want to attempt a finish then he shouldn't be fighting.

Example: The most recent Penn/GSP fight. A guy steps up a weight class and you are still too scared to stand with him or even to attempt a finish on the ground by ground and pound? That makes you pathetic.

It's been said before' date=' but doing a card system like Pride would be beneficial. It would keep wrestlers moving and f*gs like Thales Laites from constantly falling on the ground trying to coax the other fighter to go to the ground as well.[/b']

Yeah, man. Forget the soccer kicks, just penalize fighters for refusing to work the standup if it goes on for longer than a minute. Watching PPV fights of that nonsense can just make you sick to watch.

*anticipates the "you dont know wtf youre talking about man nothin gets me going more than 2 fighters pacing in circles throwing nothing for what seems like eternity" *

Yes! All I've been saying. how this has gotten misconstrued is beyond me. I even did the regretful act of watching Maynard v Florian a second time' date=' and all that did was solidify my opinion. THE ENTIRE FIRST MINUTES OF ROUND ONE WAS MAYNARD REFUSING TO FIGHT. Only until Florian got frustrated enough to throw the first strikes is when he got taken down. I know Kendawg's td defense isn't exactly something to write home about, but simply sprawling will not prevent you from getting taken down especially when you're in the middle of actually attacking because MINUTES just went by during a PPV fight where no engagements have been made. Call that entertainment if you will, to me and lots of other people, it's an insult to our intelligence. If you're an MMA fighter that refuses to commit to anything other than keeping distance and showing no interest in doing anything for longer than a minute, take off a point. [i']Something[/i]! Sheesh

Maynard's fight strategy wasnt the problem it was Kenflows.

It was clear as day that Kenny did not want to exchange blows with Maynard.

Kenflow did not have an aggressive bone in his body saturday night.

Your blaming the wrong fighter here.

THANK YOU! Someone that can actually read. Lauzon looked like a motha****in G last night. Edgar legitimately smashed BJ' date=' Penn just doesn't seem to have that fire in the belly anymore. Randy did what he had to do, in hilarious fashion. I have [b']no[/b] problems with these fights. I enjoyed the heck out of them. I'm referring to Nik Lentz being too much of a coward to even attempt finishing a fight(let alone do anything but shoot for takedowns the second Winner went on the attack), and Maynard doing just what he needs to do to win a match on points. It wasn't even like he was looking to fight. He literally refused to attack. Just waited til Kendawg's back was near a cage to work a takedown. There was hardly much else.

Can you blame Maynard for safely securing his title shot?

I don't blame him one bit. He stuck to the game plan, now he's gonna get paid and get his limelight. I think Edgar will nullify his wrestling and it'll be a hellacious title bout.

Your poll was complete bias BTW...you should've given the option to disagree. fail...

Oh also, "I am not impressed with your eloquence.". haha...Just kiddin' bud.

Cool thread man.

Archived