Should James Toney Continue?

CJBOnline

He got a REAL embarrassing start, but it was against Randy Couture. Even Lesnar had to fight a bum for his first fight. If he were to build himself up, fighting the right guys, he could be a HUGE problem for any division over middle weight (he could maybe even make Welterweight, depending on how much of him is actually him and how much is blubber). If he were to train with a BJ Penn for 2-5 years, or maybe at Blackhouse, he could takeover. Work on his takedown defense, then get a good ground game, and your talking about one dangerous dude.

They should let him continue, regardless of his age. Let's see what this guy can do, eventually maybe even back up what he says.

I say give Toney another shot, simply because he fought a guy who was his absolute worst match up... Toney's painfully obvious main flaw was wrestling, and he fought a guy who made his living on wrestling... if the UFC gave Toney a guy who was more known for striking, or even better, boxing, then we'd have a fight worth watching and a debate worth talking about...

If Toney fought Duffee, that would be a much more interesting fight... if not, lets see Couture in the boxing ring...

I say give Toney another shot' date=' simply because he fought a guy who was his absolute worst match up... Toney's painfully obvious main flaw was wrestling, and he fought a guy who made his living on wrestling... if the UFC gave Toney a guy who was more known for striking, or even better, boxing, then we'd have a fight worth watching and a debate worth talking about...

If Toney fought Duffee, that would be a much more interesting fight... if not, lets see Couture in the boxing ring...[/quote']

I don't think its a good idea...not after Rusow knocked him out

if they gave kimbo a second chance , why not toney>??haha

But i dont think toney wants to step in the octagon again after what happened to couture. Furthermore , no MMA fighter will box with toney so there isnt really a point of bringing toney back if we all know whats going to happen

No disrespect to couture but that was one of the worst attemps for a takedown i seen from him and it still work against toney. If that takedown work against toney then no mma fighter in the ufc should have a problem taking him down and we all know what happens when toney goes on the ground

Hell at least kimbo did better on the ground and defending takedowns.

I just like how the first time Kimbo gets his **** beat in a UFC event, he quickly gets the cut although he put up a fight before his legs failed him. Toney literally does nothing but get taken down immediately and look silly for even trying to get a contract. Then joe asks him "are you going to fight again?" like him keeping his job is entirely up to him. Such a lame double standard. heck, get kimbo back just to see what gnarly slugging will go down if we get these two dudes with something to prove in front of each other. dana clearly doesn't care about putting up freak show fights anymore, so why not?

Come on, I can't believe some of you are serious.

Yea we all knew he was outmatched with randy,but for him to take the fight and talk trash like that just shows he's a clueless about maa.

Toney is 42 with less than one year of training. I can't see him getting any better to a point where it will matter. There is no way hes gonna cut another 32 pounds so hw is his only option and who's he gonna beat there?

He has NO chance at running for a title, nor can he be "a threat" or hell even a gatekeeper so what would be his purpose in the ufc. They cant do anything with him but an exhibition fight vs a low-lv hw with no wrestling, which would likely turn out like the kimbo-alexander fight. yawn.....

Archived