I have to give James Toney respect

Rob_Lazarus

He talked a lot of **** and went in overconfident, but he still stepped into the cage for his first MMA bout with one of the best fighters ever. You can say he did it out of ignorance, but he still did it. Mayweather has talked endless amounts of ignorant **** about MMA and he has never once even considered stepping in there and trying his hand.

Toney has balls, and he was a great sport about it after the fight. Yes his ground game looked amateur, but he was up against one of the best ground fighters there is. This is a guy that pounded out Liddell, Gonzaga, Belfort, and Rizzo. Guys who know exactly how to defend against a ground attack and they still got dominated.

Toney is still a natural athlete and if he truly applies himself he will be able to compete within the lower ranks of the UFC. At his age he will never be able to capture a title, but he has the ability and the potential to put on some exciting bouts, especially if he learns how to get back to his feet.

I have to be honest and say that when I first heard Toney was coming to MMA and he was fighting Randy Couture I couldn't wait to see him get dominated. After last night though I hope Toney can get something going in his next fight. I think he's a good ambassador and I'd hate to see him go two and out. He didn't make any excuses last night like I thought he would and he didn't give up until he was passing out.

I've been a fan of James Toney the boxer for awhile, but I'm a fan of James Toney the man now.

You're right' date=' he had the balls to do it. But talking **** and getting embarrassed doesn't earn my respect.[/quote']

Like I said, he was overconfident. But the fact is that no matter how hard he had trained for those 6-7 months, there was nothing that would have prepared him for a match with Randy Couture. I know his trainers knew that, and I'm pretty sure deep down he knew he was in trouble, especially after training with some wrestlers like Lawal.

Couture did exactly what anyone would do. He shot in low as to avoid an uppercut and took it to the ground where everyone knew he would dominate.

Toney wants to come in and showcase his boxing, but first he has to learn how to get up lol. Still I respect him for making the move. Mayweather has a way better chance of doing well in MMA than Toney (just because of his age mainly) and he will NEVER step in the cage. Some people are saying Toney only cares about the money but the fact is the boxing champions are out there making $20-$30 million each bout (or $60-$70 in Floyd's case). Toney could not have made more than $200k for that fight, I just don't see DW paying him anymore than that.

You have to respect him for trying his hand in it. I know I know he talked endless amounts of ****. But really, would a lot of people have watched the fight if he hadn't?

If anything I lost respect for Toney

1. I was hoping to see a couple punches from Toney, atleast.

2. If gotta really suck to be taken down the way he got taken down.

3. Toney should have atleast pulled a Daley and hit someone after. He didn't.

Case closed - Get his **** outta the octagon!

Toney promoted the fight beautifully, and the fact that all of you don't recognize that shows it. If you were annoyed by the trash talk and tuned in to see him get his **** whooped, he got in your head more than he did in Randy's. He's even said stuff like "Let the haters hate, they can pay to see me get my **** kicked."

Chall urr da clowns. Nut me James Lice Ow Toeknee

i couldnt understand a god damn word he said though

Totally agree. He should get back to 220 pounds learn some takedown defence and Dana should set him up with some strikers so we can actually see what Toney can do. This fight was a total mismatch but would be nice to see more of Toney if only for the entertainment factor alone. Just hope he got a good reality check and be better prepaired for his next fight though.

Toney promoted the fight beautifully' date=' and the fact that all of you don't recognize that shows it. If you were annoyed by the trash talk and tuned in to see him get his **** whooped, he got in your head more than he did in Randy's. He's even said stuff like "Let the haters hate, they can pay to see me get my **** kicked."

Chall urr da clowns. Nut me James Lice Ow Toeknee[/quote']

I don't care how he promoted the fight, he looked terrible. He was completely outclassed and fans probably don't want to see more of it. He does not belong in the UFC.

Like I said' date=' he was overconfident. But the fact is that no matter how hard he had trained for those 6-7 months, there was nothing that would have prepared him for a match with Randy Couture. I know his trainers knew that, and I'm pretty sure deep down he knew he was in trouble, especially after training with some wrestlers like Lawal.

Couture did exactly what anyone would do. He shot in low as to avoid an uppercut and took it to the ground where everyone knew he would dominate.

Toney wants to come in and showcase his boxing, but first he has to learn how to get up lol. Still I respect him for making the move. Mayweather has a way better chance of doing well in MMA than Toney (just because of his age mainly) and he will NEVER step in the cage. Some people are saying Toney only cares about the money but the fact is the boxing champions are out there making $20-$30 million each bout (or $60-$70 in Floyd's case). Toney could not have made more than $200k for that fight, I just don't see DW paying him anymore than that.

You have to respect him for trying his hand in it. I know I know [b']he talked endless amounts of ****. But really, would a lot of people have watched the fight if he hadn't?[/b]

Lol those are false statistics. Floyd makes 8 mill per fight, Pac and other top guys make 2 mill. Toney at his age probably makes around 200k a fight and he made 1 mill for this fight and didn't even do anything. So there is plenty of reason to think he done it just for the money.

He talked a lot of **** and went in overconfident' date=' but he still stepped into the cage for his first MMA bout with one of the best fighters ever. You can say he did it out of ignorance, but he still did it. Mayweather has talked endless amounts of ignorant **** about MMA and he has never once even considered stepping in there and trying his hand.

Toney has balls, and he was a great sport about it after the fight. Yes his ground game looked amateur, but he was up against one of the best ground fighters there is. This is a guy that pounded out Liddell, Gonzaga, Belfort, and Rizzo. Guys who know exactly how to defend against a ground attack and they still got dominated.

Toney is still a natural athlete and if he truly applies himself he will be able to compete within the lower ranks of the UFC. At his age he will never be able to capture a title, but he has the ability and the potential to put on some exciting bouts, especially if he learns how to get back to his feet.

I have to be honest and say that when I first heard Toney was coming to MMA and he was fighting Randy Couture I couldn't wait to see him get dominated. After last night though I hope Toney can get something going in his next fight. I think he's a good ambassador and I'd hate to see him go two and out. He didn't make any excuses last night like I thought he would and he didn't give up until he was passing out.

I've been a fan of James Toney the boxer for awhile, but I'm a fan of James Toney the man now.[/quote']

Good for you, but James??ChokedOut?? Toney will most likely never fight in the UFC,unless he gets some mad skills in a few years, wich we all know wont happen.

"set him up with some strikers so we can actually see what Toney can do"

U wanna see what he can do, go on youtube and check out his boxing.

This is mma and hes got nothing to show off.

Sure he COULD KO some fool if they stand and trade punches, but so could any hw in the ufc, doesn't count for much when pinned on your back and helpless.

He can go back to boxing and show off his talents there.

Archived