WTF?! BJ Penn

Skywalk

Alright, as you can tell from my signature. I don't like BJ Penn. I don't like his work ethic and I don't like the way he presents himself in the media. That said, I DO respect BJ Penn as a fighter and I have seen enough of his fights to understand why he was considered the best lightweight champion of all time at one point. He seemed to me, to be an aggressive fighter that goes for blood. In this fight, I saw none of that. I saw a timid BJ Penn stand around and miss punches all night. I'm not making excuses for BJ Penn, but something is wrong with that guy. To be THAT passive, against a guy that can't really put you in danger is beyond my comprehension.

To cut to the chase, BJ Penn did NOTHING in last night's fight. There are no parallels to draw between this fight and the Silva fight because at least Silva's opponent controlled him. Edgar just threw light flurries all night. BJ Penn only attempted two shots and only in the championship rounds. It angers me is that he almost got both of them and didn't seem to catch on. You can't blame this on his corner because BJ should have known he didn't have the speed to compete with Frankie on his feet (even if his punches don't hurt). Penn never seemed to be in trouble during the fight and maybe one of Edgar's punches phased him. Additionally, I can count Penn's leg kicks on one hand.

This fight was entertaining purely because of the names, otherwise, the fight was just an unimpressive fight between a man who lost his mojo and a half **** wrestler that can't strike.

I hate both of the fighters after last night, but I don't want to see Maynard win either. I guess I'm just boycotting the lightweight division.

/rant

Alright' date=' as you can tell from my signature. I don't like BJ Penn. I don't like his work ethic and I don't like the way he presents himself in the media. That said, I DO respect BJ Penn as a fighter and I have seen enough of his fights to understand why he was considered the best lightweight champion of all time at one point. He seemed to me, to be an aggressive fighter that goes for blood. In this fight, I saw none of that. I saw a timid BJ Penn stand around and miss punches all night. I'm not making excuses for BJ Penn, but something is wrong with that guy. To be THAT passive, against a guy that can't really put you in danger is beyond my comprehension.

To cut to the chase, BJ Penn did NOTHING in last night's fight. There are no parallels to draw between this fight and the Silva fight because at least Silva's opponent controlled him. Edgar just threw light flurries all night. BJ Penn only attempted two shots and only in the championship rounds. It angers me is that he almost got both of them and didn't seem to catch on. You can't blame this on his corner because BJ should have known he didn't have the speed to compete with Frankie on his feet (even if his punches don't hurt). Penn never seemed to be in trouble during the fight and maybe one of Edgar's punches phased him. Additionally, I can count Penn's leg kicks on one hand.

This fight was entertaining purely because of the names, otherwise, the fight was just an unimpressive fight between a man who lost his mojo and a half **** wrestler that can't strike.

I hate both of the fighters after last night, but I don't want to see Maynard win either. I guess I'm just boycotting the lightweight division.

/rant[/quote']

I was shocked that BJ didn't takedown more. The odd part is, when BJ did get to the ground, Edgar seemed better there too. Maybe BJ just lost his passion for the sport.

I was shocked that BJ didn't takedown more. The odd part is' date=' when BJ did get to the ground, Edgar seemed better there too. Maybe BJ just lost his passion for the sport.[/quote']

+1

10+ years is a long time to be fighting. To quote an old cliche penn may have lost ''the eye of the tiger''.

Alright' date=' as you can tell from my signature. I don't like BJ Penn. I don't like his work ethic and I don't like the way he presents himself in the media. That said, I DO respect BJ Penn as a fighter and I have seen enough of his fights to understand why he was considered the best lightweight champion of all time at one point. He seemed to me, to be an aggressive fighter that goes for blood. In this fight, I saw none of that. I saw a timid BJ Penn stand around and miss punches all night. I'm not making excuses for BJ Penn, but something is wrong with that guy. To be THAT passive, against a guy that can't really put you in danger is beyond my comprehension.

This fight was entertaining purely because of the names, otherwise, the fight was just an unimpressive fight between a man who lost his mojo and a [b']half **** wrestler that can't strike[/b].

/rant

And you know how hard Frankie Edgar hits because he hit you alot too?? How are you going to call him a half assed wrestler when he took down a guy all night that not even Diego Sanches could take down? Who are you and where do you get this non-sense? And how can he not strike Frankie is a GREAT Striker!! You can ask Sean Sherk about that as well along with the other people edgar has fought. Seriously go throw yourself in the dumpster because your little Rant is HOT GARBAGE!

I was shocked that BJ didn't takedown more. The odd part is' date=' when BJ did get to the ground, Edgar seemed better there too. Maybe BJ just lost his passion for the sport.[/quote']

No, BJ was way better on the ground in rounds 1-3. Edgar tried to pass a couple times but BJ would just jump back to butterfly.

And you know how hard Frankie Edgar hits because he hit you alot too?? How are you going to call him a half assed wrestler when he took down a guy all night that not even Diego Sanches could take down? Who are you and where do you get this non-sense? And how can he not strike Frankie is a GREAT Striker!! You can ask Sean Sherk about that as well along with the other people edgar has fought. Seriously go throw yourself in the dumpster because your little Rant is HOT GARBAGE!

It's just Frankie Edgar. He doesn't get knockouts because of the way he boxes. He doesn't look for the knockout punch but rather punches in bunches so he can score.

Yep .. BJ is not the same guy last 2 fights (edgard) ... again: the guy has skills, experience, quality, speed and everything to beat Edgard at least in a decison win .. i just think there is something we dont know ..

/rant[/quote']

Your sig still says you hate want.

**** you.

Tell me again why you hate Frankie Edgar? If you thought that fight was boring you aren't an MMA fan because that was a great fight and Frankie outclassed him. A half-assed wrestler who can't strike wouldn't be champion. The good thing is that Edgar can strike and he's a great wrestler. You sir' date=' are completely illogical.[/quote']

+1

Deigo Sanchez is not a wrestler

Deigo Sanchez is not a wrestler
Diego Sachez's bread and butter is Takedown followed by Ground and Pound. Diego Sanchez was a big lightweight.. as opposed to Frankie Edgar walking around at about 155 regardless of whether he's fighting. So my point is that Diego Sanchez is like a big version of Gray Maynard. And he couldn't take down Penn. So to finish Frankie Edgar is OBVIOUSLY not some half-assed wrestler.

Who knew that it was going to be Edgar the one that would take away the crown from BJ in the LW div? After the Diego fight I thought: "

well the LW is out of competitors for BJ". Maybe BJ thought the same and here's the result...

When you do not have a goal anymore in your sport just retire. It's not that he lost but it's how he lost these 2 fights. Props for Edgar though...

this times infinite

BJ Penn is by far my favorite fighter of all time... I watched the Florian, Sanchez, Sherk, and Stevenson fights and BJ was just a different fighter in those fights.. Last night he looked very unmotivated and slow and bored... Where is the fire... He was a crazy hawaiian that smacked himself in the face and licked his bloody gloves... now he didnt smile or didnt seem like he wanted to be there... I wish he gets his fire back and comes back with vengeance... however he needs a change in camp.. his buddies and brother are cool but they are not the best thing for BJ... Please Penn come back and whoop some ****

/rant[/quote']

Edgar knows that his "light flurries" are scoring points with the judges. It's like the stand up version of LNP. You'll piss off a lot of people but you will win the fight. Fighters are starting to figure out the judges instead of putting on entertaining fights. This is very very bad for mma.

Archived