Wrestlers ruling the UFC

MarDawg

I noticed that in each division a wrestler is either the champion or the number 1 contender. Are wrestlers taking over, i think so. lol

HW

Champ Brock - wrestler

Number 1 contender Cain - wrestler

LHW

Champ Shogun - not a wrestler

Number 1 contender Rashad - wrestler

MW

Champ Anderson - not a wrestler

Number 1 contender Chael - wrestler

WW

Champ GSP - wrestler

Number 1 contender - wrestler

LW

Champ Frankie Edgar - kind of a wrestler?

Number 1 contender Gray - wrestler

Thoughts? Questions?

I noticed that in each division a wrestler is either the champion or the number 1 contender. Are wrestlers taking over' date=' i think so. lol

HW

Champ Brock - wrestler

LHW

MW

WW

Champ GSP - wrestler

LW

Thoughts? Questions?[/quote']

they are all bad except Brock hes probably one of the only fighters who are wrestlers that finish fights...

I noticed that in each division a wrestler is either the champion or the number 1 contender. Are wrestlers taking over' date=' i think so. lol

HW

Champ Brock - wrestler

LHW

MW

WW

Champ GSP - wrestler

LW

Thoughts? Questions?[/quote']

Frankie Edgar wrestled D-1 in college if I'm not mistaken. And I think the wrestling surge as of now is similar to the BJJ surge in the early UFC days.

Yeah MMA is going to become the major leagues of wrestling seeing as theres no pro wrestling league thats real and only a very select few ever make it to the Olympics.

Wrestling is a pretty good tool to have seeing as wrestlers are usually stronger than BJJ guys and they have the ability to control where the fight goes.

A wrestler with excellent stand up is a VERY dangerous thing.

I have no problems with wrestlers or ground fighting however there are loop holes in the scoring system that favor wrestlers...something has to be changed.

The only "loophole" is actually against wrestlers, and that's the BS "standing them up" garbage. If you suck so bad you can't get up on your own, you should immediately lose the fight.

The only "loophole" is actually against wrestlers' date=' and that's the BS "standing them up" garbage. If you suck so bad you can't get up on your own, you should immediately lose the fight.[/quote']

Exactly. Look at Shogun for instance :D Machida is an excellent wrestler and Shogun was good enough to get up on his own.

The only "loophole" is actually against wrestlers' date=' and that's the BS "standing them up" garbage. If you suck so bad you can't get up on your own, you should immediately lose the fight.[/quote']

like i said i have no issues with wrestlers, but takedowns count for way to much while stuffed takedowns do not count. personally i think if you cant stuff a takedown and you get taken down all fight like lets say Hardy/GSP its their fault but there are some instances where fighters get decisions without doing much.

like i said i have no issues with wrestlers' date=' but takedowns count for way to much while stuffed takedowns do not count. personally i think if you cant stuff a takedown and you get taken down all fight like lets say Hardy/GSP its their fault but there are some instances where fighters get decisions without doing much.[/quote']

Takedowns count for too little. A real life takedown, you will usually lose.

I don't think defending a takedown should be awarded points at all. There shouldn't be any incentive for staying off your back, you should just want it so you can fight. Theres no empirical system of judging where different techniques or situations get any points either. I say the judging system itself is fine and maybe some better educated judges are needed. Keep in mind most judge "robberies" aren't too controversial until enough fanboys complain. They usually come from fights that are really close and either person winning could be justifiable.

Archived