Frankie Edgar still not getting respect?

Rob_Lazarus

What does this guy have to do? Plenty of grinders like him out there especially at LW. Are people just in love with Penn that bad?

I admit I was shocked when he won the first fight, but he did win it. He won it just like he won the second fight.

If he finishes Maynard in the first 15 seconds of the fight will he get respect? What if he dominates five rounds and gets another UD?

What does this guy have to do? Plenty of grinders like him out there especially at LW. Are people just in love with Penn that bad?

I admit I was shocked when he won the first fight' date=' but he did win it. He won it just like he won the second fight.

If he finishes Maynard in the first 15 seconds of the fight will he get respect? What if he dominates five rounds and gets another UD?[/quote']

People dont respect him because they know this isnt the "real" BJ and everyone loved seeing BJ dominate the LW division. I would have been ok with BJ keeping his belt till he retired.

This is my first post since that dramatic shocker....

BJ is my favorite fighter & I didn't think Edgar was gonna be able to do it again; however, unlike the ****s if a fighter fights the way Edgar did, he'll earn my respect. I thought BJ would knock him out in the first. Much respect to frankie he trained his **** off & is the champ.

I do believe though that Penn underestimated Edgar again. Penn, as many other people believed, that the first fight was a fluke. So he didn't properly prepare himself for this fight. In the preshow he's saying all his camp has is Frankie Edgar, not the ko/submission king bj Penn. But NOW Penn understands that he's not untouchable & I believe he'll work his way back up to the top from step 1.

People dont respect him because they know this isnt the "real" BJ and everyone loved seeing BJ dominate the LW division. I would have been ok with BJ keeping his belt till he retired.

It wasn't the BJ everyone loved seeing because he was fighting a guy who outclassed him. Frankie works his **** off in that ring constantly moving and adjusting and Penn had no answer for it in either fight. Penn didn't even move forward with ten seconds left in the fight. I'm sorry but Penn has no heart. Once he falls behind he loses his steam just like he did against GSP.

People didn't give him a lot of respect in the first fight because we've seen BJ fight poorly before. If he isn't motivated he fights like ****. If he is well he can do well against a guy thats twice his size.

I'm happy for Frankie he proved that he is definately better than BJ. I don't see him getting past Gray but if he does he will probably hold the belt for some time.

It wasn't the BJ everyone loved seeing because he was fighting a guy who outclassed him. Frankie works his **** off in that ring constantly moving and adjusting and Penn had no answer for it in either fight. Penn didn't even move forward with ten seconds left in the fight. I'm sorry but Penn has no heart. Once he falls behind he loses his steam just like he did against GSP.

Edgar could not have beat an agressive BJ. BJ fights 100% different then when he first started(when he was best if you ask me) Thats when he was awesome when he could come running for you and leaves you no other choice then to take him down then he just submits you. I have never been more depressed about a fightt then bj losing this fight.

Edgar could not have beat an agressive BJ. BJ fights 100% different then when he first started(when he was best if you ask me) Thats when he was awesome when he could come running for you and leaves you no other choice then to take him down then he just submits you. I have never been more depressed about a fightt then bj losing this fight.

BJ wasn't fighting aggressive because he couldn't hit Edgar. Edgar was dancing around him the whole match while BJ stood there flat footed. You'll lose your steam and aggressiveness quick when you can't hit the other guy and he's constantly punching you in the face.

Huh. GSP' date=' Couture?[/quote']

Yep. And Edgar looks for the finish just like those guys. He wasn't looking for it early but later on he was throwing power shots. Penn really does just have a granite chin and he's really hard to finish.

Maynard's fight last night showcased a guy who was going for a decision. Throw the minimum amount of strikes to prevent a stand up and hold your opponent tightly against the cage postured down so you can prevent him from trying any submissions.

UFC needs yellow cards bad. That **** is out of hand.

agreed' date=' i hate the people who dont respect him, just because he couldnt finish penn.[/quote']

Yeah i guess you can make the argument that Penn didnt finish him either but just not a fan of anyone who fights for the judges.

Edgar cant finish anyone ( veach recently but come on i could sub that guy )

He LITERALLY hit penn with everyone he could... and Penn was 100% fine physically.

His stat is to Dance... Lots of un needed movement... hands up after the rounds.... Team hooting and hollering

Its all a show for the judges.

Anyone who fights for the Judges not the finish, will NEVER get my respect.

Having Cecil Peoples tell me you beat BJ Penn is NEVER going to do it for me.

BJ wasn't fighting aggressive because he couldn't hit Edgar. Edgar was dancing around him the whole match while BJ stood there flat footed. You'll lose your steam and aggressiveness quick when you can't hit the other guy and he's constantly punching you in the face.

Yep. And Edgar looks for the finish just like those guys. He wasn't looking for it early but later on he was throwing power shots. Penn really does just have a granite chin and he's really hard to finish.

Maynard's fight last night showcased a guy who was going for a decision. Throw the minimum amount of strikes to prevent a stand up and hold your opponent tightly against the cage postured down so you can prevent him from trying any submissions.

UFC needs yellow cards bad. That **** is out of hand.

Standing power strikes landed: Maynard 18' date=' FLorian 1.

[b']18 to god damn 1 in power strikes[/b]. Yes, 1.

I'm so sick of this maynard hate by a bunch of ignorant bigots. Maynard destroyed florian everywhere. It's not his fault Florian did nothing the whole fight.

Thats been the problem with BJ for a while now i see no aggression or heart from BJ.

This is my first post since that dramatic shocker....

BJ is my favorite fighter & I didn't think Edgar was gonna be able to do it again; however' date=' unlike the ****s if a fighter fights the way Edgar did, he'll earn my respect. I thought BJ would knock him out in the first. Much respect to frankie he trained his **** off & is the champ.

I do believe though that Penn underestimated Edgar again. Penn, as many other people believed, that the first fight was a fluke. So he didn't properly prepare himself for this fight. In the preshow he's saying all his camp has is Frankie Edgar, not the ko/submission king bj Penn. But[b'] NOW Penn understands that he's not untouchable[/b] & I believe he'll work his way back up to the top from step 1.

He should of figured that out after the first fight. Also, he said that after the first fight. He said hes not gonna sleep on Frankie and he's really gonna train this time around.

Standing power strikes thrown: Maynard 18' date=' FLorian 1.

[b']18 to god damn 1 in power strikes[/b]. Yes, 1.

I'm so sick of this maynard hate by a bunch of ignorant bigots. Maynard destroyed florian everywhere. It's not his fault Florian did nothing the whole fight.

Ignorant bigots? Am I racist toward him or something?

That fight put me to sleep. Maynard made no serious attempt to finish that fight. He's not a risk taker at all and that's why people don't want to watch him fight.

I'm not saying Florian is awesome. They both should have lost that fight last night, but Florian at least made attempts to finish with submissions.

Nobody would want to watch a football team that ran for 3.5 yards up the middle every single play. They would be hugely effective and win every game, but no one would want to watch it. It's not exciting, and sports are still entertainment.

Ignorant bigots? Am I racist toward him or something?

That fight put me to sleep. Maynard made no serious attempt to finish that fight. He's not a risk taker at all and that's why people don't want to watch him fight.

I'm not saying Florian is awesome. They both should have lost that fight last night' date=' but Florian at least made attempts to finish with submissions.

[b']Nobody would want to watch a football team that ran for 3.5 yards up the middle every single play. They would be hugely effective and win every game, but no one would want to watch it. It's not exciting, and sports are still entertainment[/b].

Vouch, Maynard and Frankie both never tried to finish the fight... So lame.

I admit I was shocked when he won the first fight' date=' but he did win it. He won it just like he won the second fight.

If he finishes Maynard in the first 15 seconds of the fight will he get respect? What if he dominates five rounds and gets another UD?[/quote']

I'm in no way a BJ fan but Edgar has to put some real performance.. What he did yesterday wasn't grinding. What Sonnen did to Silva was grinding. What Frankie did last night was *****-slapping BJ the whole fight. Nothing in his performance was worthy of a champion.

I wouldnt call Randy a grinder necessarily he always looks for the finish' date=' most of his wins are tko's or submissions and his decision wins were (imo) mostly pretty exciting wars, except maybe the Vera fight.[/quote']

Correct! And as for GSP for being considered one of the best P4p fighters in the world, his fan base is pretty small all things considered. I myself cannot stand his constant grappling matches.

Correct! And as for GSP for being considered one of the best P4p fighters in the world' date=' his fan base is pretty small all things considered. I myself cannot stand his constant grappling matches.[/quote']

Ya i agree about GSP...i would rather watch a 48 year old Couture compete anyday.

Your a BJ Penn fan' date=' thats to be expected.[/quote']

For every GSP nut hugger, there is a GSP hater..

How many Aldo haters are there? How many Silva Haters? Shogun Haters? Brock Haters ( not about style just losers with WWE comments )

GSp for the champ probably has the worst ratio of ****s/Haters of any champion. Notable he is also one of the only guys to have issues finishing fights

For every GSP nut hugger' date=' there is a GSP hater..

How many Aldo haters are there? How many Silva Haters? Shogun Haters? Brock Haters ( not about style just losers with WWE comments )

GSp for the champ probably has the worst ratio of ****s/Haters of any champion. Notable he is also one of the only guys to have issues finishing fights[/quote']

ROFLCAKES. No one likes Silva, which is why msot of his PPVs are complete garbage for buys. Aldo is still a nobody in the general world of MMA. And GSP has a much better fan/hater ratio than Brock or Silva, that's for sure. Not sure on Shogun.

GSp for the champ probably has the worst ratio of ****s/Haters of any champion. Notable he is also one of the only guys to have issues finishing fights[/quote']

b61snr.jpg

Who hates Aldo? Seriously lol, never heard anybody say something bad about him.

Final Comments.

No respect because.

1) Has PILLOW FISTS.... has almost literally a 0% Chance to 1 punch anyone ever

2) Pillow fists on the ground..... Cant TKO anyone either with his ground and pound

-Bj has a great Chin but Edgar was throwing "Bombs" and couldnt even phase Penn

3) doesnt have the submission skills to sub any top 10 guys in the division

Edgar cant beat anyone good by Submission.... By Ko.... Or by TKO

Only way for him to win is having Cecil Peoples granting him a win on a piece of paper.

Until he finishes a worthy opponent... gets nothing from me. Playing for the scorecards is Fail for building Fans

Final Comments.

No respect because.

2) Pillow fists on the ground..... Cant TKO anyone either with his ground and pound

Only way for him to win is having Cecil Peoples granting him a win on a piece of paper.

Until he finishes a worthy opponent... gets nothing from me. Playing for the scorecards is Fail for building Fans

Im a huge Penn fan but you've got to wake up, Frankie is an amazing fighter and he's still a young fighter which makes him even more dangerous in the future.

The "real" BJ? You could've said that after the first fight, but he got beat twice. Edgar is the better fighter and has BJ's number. I think if Edgar beats Maynard like he beat Penn regardless of how it happens he'll get the respect he deserves.

Final Comments.

No respect because.

exactly' date=' smart man you are.

Frankie edgar is nt even a proper towel he is worse he is a hand towel

meh i see edgar as a cheap paper towel that rips when you try to wipe something up with it

agreed' date=' i hate the people who dont respect him, just because he couldnt finish penn.[/quote']

Most people aren't disrespecting him because he couldn't finish Penn. The problem with Edgar is he figured out how to win a stand up fight without doing any real damage. Edgar has more of the olymic style boxing where every hit points the same. When Edgar loses a match because he gets judges that don't score feather touching hit and run it will be good for him. He will get back to GNP and win back some of the fans he old fans. His new fnas don't matter because because they will ride the wave of the next LW champ.

he doesn't get respect because for some unknown reason BJ Penn actually has fans. a lot of them. and 95 percent of them are extremely delusional.

any true MMA fan who can view something objectively knows how good edgar is. and they've known it for a long time. not just since his last 2 fights.

Fing halarious that people think edgar is boring. just becuase penn's footwork and head movement suck, which was exposed twice by edgar, does not mean he is boring. I've never seen edgar in a boring fight. rarely do guys that talented have that kind of heart. so much fight in that guy - you'll never see anybody finish him, bank on that.

he doesn't get respect because for some unknown reason BJ Penn actually has fans. a lot of them. and 95 percent of them are extremely delusional.

any true MMA fan who can view something objectively knows how good edgar is. and they've known it for a long time. not just since his last 2 fights.

Fing halarious that people think edgar is boring. just becuase penn's footwork and head movement suck' date=' which was exposed twice by edgar, does not mean he is boring. I've never seen edgar in a boring fight. rarely do guys that talented have that kind of heart. so much fight in that guy - you'll never see anybody finish him, bank on that.[/quote']

this^

You guys are all crazy....

realize BJ COULDN'T beat Frankie twice.....

Yeah i guess you can make the argument that Penn didnt finish him either but just not a fan of anyone who fights for the judges.

Edgar cant finish anyone ( veach recently but come on i could sub that guy )

He LITERALLY hit penn with everyone he could... and Penn was 100% fine physically.

His stat is to Dance... Lots of un needed movement... hands up after the rounds.... Team hooting and hollering

Its all a show for the judges.

Anyone who fights for the Judges not the finish' date=' will NEVER get my respect.

Having Cecil Peoples tell me you beat BJ Penn is NEVER going to do it for me.[/quote']

Penn was fine? Cecil Peoples didnt need to tell me anything.....BJ got DOMINATED!

I'm in no way a BJ fan but Edgar has to put some real performance.. What he did yesterday wasn't grinding. What Sonnen did to Silva was grinding. What Frankie did last night was *****-slapping BJ the whole fight. Nothing in his performance was worthy of a champion.

Except destroy the greatest 155 lb fighter ever.

Final Comments.

No respect because.

Penn is a great fighter' date=' and Frankie won, give the man some respect. He beat the best lw ever...twice!

Im a huge Penn fan but you've got to wake up, Frankie is an amazing fighter and he's still a young fighter which makes him even more dangerous in the future.

Finally!

exactly' date=' smart man you are.

meh i see edgar as a cheap paper towel that rips when you try to wipe something up with it[/quote']

like BJ's pride?.....because I think Frankie took that rather quickly.

Fing halarious that people think edgar is boring. just becuase penn's footwork and head movement suck' date=' which was exposed twice by edgar, does not mean he is boring. I've never seen edgar in a boring fight. rarely do guys that talented have that kind of heart. so much fight in that guy - you'll never see anybody finish him, bank on that.[/quote']

Frankie beating Griffin and Sherk then dominating BJ.....I dont understand.

It's not that people don't respect him for winnng by decision. It's because he lacks the ability to finish a fight. Forget BJ Penn, i think it's something like, 11 of Edgars 13 mma wins have been decisions, and he doesn't cause any damage.

The judging criteria needs to evolve. Points should be scored for a take down, but lesser so if it's not followed by sub attempts, effective striking or position improvement.

And to answer your last two questions. Yes because it would demonstrate his ability to finish a fight. And it would depend on what he did along the way to that decision victory.

He isn't really that nteresting to watch, and can you imagine the next title fight, Edgar Vs. Maynard, will probably be the worst fight in he history of MMA. As for people saying Couture being more interesting than GSP, or finishing fights more than him, its probably because GSP doesn't fight 40 year Boxers with no MMA experience, or 40 wrestlers who get tired in their entrance to the octagon

Archived