5 things we can take from UFC 118

CarlLane

This is the start of a new series i will be providing everybody with after each UFC Event from here on out

1. Edgar will always be known as Penn's kryptonite
  2. Penn, even though he can probably beat Maynard, who is probably going to beat Edgar is done at 155
  3. MMA is on a whole other level as a sport and no one aspect as a sport i.e. boxing can ever compare
  4. Nate Diaz is a threat at WW
  5. Randy Couture is on a roll and whoever he fights next at 205 is going to be running into a buzz saw

This is the start of a new series i will be providing everybody with after each UFC Event from here on out

2. Penn' date=' even though he can probably beat Maynard, who is probably going to beat Edgar is done at 155
    [*']MMA is on a whole other level as a sport and no one aspect as a sport i.e. boxing can ever compare
  3. Nick Diaz is a threat at WW
  4. Randy Couture is on a roll and whoever he fights next at 205 is going to be running into a buzz saw

Nick Diaz fights in strikeforce lol the name your looking for is Nate Diaz aha

anything you have to say about KenFlo? and his future?

honorable mention, it's so hard to say but it looks like he will be a gatekeeper at 155, i think he could fare well against Edgar, but Maynard obviously not and i think we all know what is going to happen with the Title

I think you mean Nate Diaz and he's not a threat to GSP, Nick wouldn't be either. The Diaz brothers struggle with wrestlers and the best in the business would absolutely own them. Their slap-boxing would be no match for his unpredictable striking and they wouldn't be able to catch him in a submission with his spectacular top-game.

One thing I learned from UFC 118 is that Gray Maynard is now the new UFC World Lightweight Champion.

true enough lol i would love Nick to come back to the UFC he would be a force in the UFCs WW division.

there are so many fights i want to see it's drives me batty sometimes, one for sure that i think is a lock now that Vitor is fighting Okami at 122 is Wandy vs. Leben when he comes back early next year

the thing about Maia is he obviously has good BJJ so i didn't see that fight as anything new for him' date=' J-Lau however looked amazing in his prelim fight[/quote']

this^. that was awesome i expected Joe to win but not that fast lol that was an awesome performance.

Has anyone noticed that in Couture's last few fights' date=' his opponents have dropped from good, to past prime, to MMA noob? Big Nog, Vera, Coleman & Toney. Each opponent has less fighting ability than the last in terms of MMA. Just sayin'[/quote']

well Nog and Vera are definitely top level opponents, you got me on Coleman and Toney but the thing is some guys let themselves get over confident and Couture has shown he still is the best at staying grounded as you saw by the press conference afterward

there are so many fights i want to see it's drives me batty sometimes' date=' one for sure that i think is a lock now that Vitor is fighting Okami at 122 is Wandy vs. Leben when he comes back early next year[/quote']

Oh man for sure that would be a slug fest and id be rooting for Wandy to KO him.

I think you mean Nate Diaz and he's not a threat to GSP' date=' Nick wouldn't be either. The Diaz brothers struggle with wrestlers and the best in the business would absolutely own them. Their slap-boxing would be no match for his unpredictable striking and they wouldn't be able to catch him in a submission with his spectacular top-game.

One thing I learned from UFC 118 is that Gray Maynard is now the new UFC World Lightweight Champion.[/quote']

Marcus Davis is a ****ing professional boxer *******, Nate would own GSP in standup, but that fight would never be standing for all of 2 seconds before Nate was taken down. I do not believe Nate would be a threat to GSP with submissions, so that fight would be a 50-45 decision victory to GSP. Nate is a threat to LW division, though he was beat by Maynard, I think Nate beats Maynard 7/10 times. Nate performs better at WW, but has a better chance at gold in LW.

Marcus Davis is a ****ing professional boxer *******' date=' Nate would own GSP in standup, but that fight would never be standing for all of 2 seconds before Nate was taken down. I do not believe Nate would be a threat to GSP with submissions, so that fight would be a 50-45 decision victory to GSP. Nate is a threat to LW division, though he was beat by Maynard, I think Nate beats Maynard 7/10 times. Nate performs better at WW, but has a better chance at gold in LW.[/quote']

Marcus Davis was a pro boxer a long time ago, but in recent years he's broken down to a brawler that has been getting his **** handed to him in the striking department. Davis is 37 but fights like he's 47 while Couture is 47 and fights like 27, **** is ****ed up.

2. Penn' date=' even though he can probably beat Maynard, who is probably going to beat Edgar is done at 155
    [*']MMA is on a whole other level as a sport and no one aspect as a sport i.e. boxing can ever compare
  3. Nate Diaz is a threat at WW
  4. Randy Couture is on a roll and whoever he fights next at 205 is going to be running into a buzz saw

in all honesty i think ur right edgar is just a really good counter for BJ he not necesarrily "better" than him i see maynard owning edgar due to his size advantage but i see bj owning maynard

Word :)

Penn looked sooooooooooooo unmotivated... it kind of raised a question whether he is even interested in continuing his MMA career...

Word :)

Penn looked sooooooooooooo unmotivated... it kind of raised a question whether he is even interested in continuing his MMA career...

it's so hard to say i don't know what he's gonna do i just hope if he continues he stays motivated somehow

in all honesty i think ur right edgar is just a really good counter for BJ he not necesarrily "better" than him i see maynard owning edgar due to his size advantage but i see bj owning maynard

that alone could keep BJ at 155 and and allow him motivation it's hard to say though :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to realize how many haters there are on these forums...I watched Frankie completely dominate BJ last night, and BJ is widely regarded as one of the best fighters in the world...so why the hell isn't Frankie getting the respect he deserves...Maynard fought a lame fight against KenFlo but yet his performance warrants a guaranteed victory over Frankie because he beat him in a decision once before....makes no sense to me...I hope Frankie finishes Gray with a rear naked choke....

Also, the Diaz brothers are my new favourite fighters...those are some real GANGSTAS!

I'm beginning to realize how many haters there are on these forums...I watched Frankie completely dominate BJ last night' date=' and BJ is widely regarded as one of the best fighters in the world...so why the hell isn't Frankie getting the respect he deserves...Maynard fought a lame fight against KenFlo but yet his performance warrants a guaranteed victory over Frankie because he beat him in a decision once before....makes no sense to me...I hope Frankie finishes Gray with a rear naked choke....

Also, the Diaz brothers are my new favourite fighters...those are some real GANGSTAS![/quote']

The fact that we talk about BJ does not take anything from Frankie. He did an amazing job, and people here noted that he just might be the only one who can beat him. It might very well be, that Edgar's performance is what caused BJ to look so shut down.

Now regarding the Diaz bros. being the real "GANGSTAS" - That is exactly what doesn't let me fully support them... they are good fighters, but I just cannot stand that mentality...

I'm beginning to realize how many haters there are on these forums...I watched Frankie completely dominate BJ last night' date=' and BJ is widely regarded as one of the best fighters in the world...so why the hell isn't Frankie getting the respect he deserves...Maynard fought a lame fight against KenFlo but yet his performance warrants a guaranteed victory over Frankie because he beat him in a decision once before....makes no sense to me...I hope Frankie finishes Gray with a rear naked choke....

Also, the Diaz brothers are my new favourite fighters...those are some real GANGSTAS![/quote']

i respect Frankie i just feel Maynard is too strong for him i hope i;m wrong but rarely am :P

shut up claxp i know you wanna roll me for going with Penn so heavily

your right on all except the diaz a threat. I agree with you somewhat. But Diaz will never make it to GSP. i think we should all know that. GSP is #1 P4P and he toys with guys. I dont see diaz getting by Thiago alves, Diego Sanchez, koscheck, shields, kampmann, or any other guys like that. So i 50% disagree with that. Because he fought a not so good Marcus Davis. Marcus was never great and he clipd him in the beggining. I know anything can happen, and even though he cliped him, diaz owned him.

but alittle to much hype.

The fact that we talk about BJ does not take anything from Frankie. He did an amazing job' date=' and people here noted that he just might be the only one who can beat him. It might very well be, that Edgar's performance is what caused BJ to look so shut down.

Now regarding the Diaz bros. being the real "GANGSTAS" - That is exactly what doesn't let me fully support them... they are good fighters, but I just cannot stand that mentality...[/quote']

I know what you mean, their attitude sucks...but at the same time, they're fighting for a living....not everyone can be a gentleman in that line of work...at least they come to fight EVERY time, you know what I mean....

I know what you mean' date=' their attitude sucks...but at the same time, they're fighting for a living....not everyone can be a gentleman in that line of work...at least they come to fight EVERY time, you know what I mean....[/quote']

No doubt that they have a lot of heart. They are great to watch every time.

your right on all except the diaz a threat. I agree with you somewhat. But Diaz will never make it to GSP. i think we should all know that. GSP is #1 P4P and he toys with guys. I dont see diaz getting by Thiago alves' date=' Diego Sanchez, koscheck, shields, kampmann, or any other guys like that. So i 50% disagree with that. Because he fought a not so good Marcus Davis. Marcus was never great and he clipd him in the beggining. I know anything can happen, and even though he cliped him, diaz owned him.

but alittle to much hype.[/quote']

the thing i like about Nate is he'll get taken down by the heavier wrestlers at 170 but his bjj is damn good and could win him a few fights from the bottom

your right on all except the diaz a threat. I agree with you somewhat. But Diaz will never make it to GSP. i think we should all know that. GSP is #1 P4P and he toys with guys. I dont see diaz getting by Thiago alves' date=' Diego Sanchez, koscheck, shields, kampmann, or any other guys like that. So i 50% disagree with that. Because he fought a not so good Marcus Davis. Marcus was never great and he clipd him in the beggining. I know anything can happen, and even though he cliped him, diaz owned him.

but alittle to much hype.[/quote']

I really don't think GSP is p4p better than Anderson...Anderson is undefeated in the UFC, doesn't that say enough....on top of that he's demolished two fighters in a weight class heavier than his own, and one of those fighters was one loss removed from being the LHW champion and the only man in the UFC with a win over the current LHW champion....GSP is a clear cut number two but he's not number one yet....its not even like he finishes guys like Anderson...p4p is determined by how a fighter dominates the opponents put against him...with the exception of Chael, Anderson has dominated everyone....and in regards to his victory over Chael, well...we've seen Anderson getting worked and pull out victory, whereas we've only seen GSP worked and finished! (Serra)...and this is coming from a guy who is from Canada and roots for GSP in all of his fights

Also, anyone who thinks because Chael controlled Anderson it means GSP can do it too is an ooblong...Chael for one is a BETTER wrestler than GSP (if you dispute this you are a dingus) and also Chael is the bigger man, bigger than both Anderson and GSP...I would put money that Chael would do the same thing to GSP that he did to Anderson

I really don't think GSP is p4p better than Anderson...Anderson is undefeated in the UFC' date=' doesn't that say enough....on top of that he's demolished two fighters in a weight class heavier than his own, and one of those fighters was one loss removed from being the LHW champion and the only man in the UFC with a win over the current LHW champion....GSP is a clear cut number two but he's not number one yet....its not even like he finishes guys like Anderson...p4p is determined by how a fighter dominates the opponents put against him...with the exception of Chael, Anderson has dominated everyone....and in regards to his victory over Chael, well...we've seen Anderson getting worked and pull out victory, whereas we've only seen GSP worked and finished! (Serra)...and this is coming from a guy who is from Canada and roots for GSP in all of his fights

Also, anyone who thinks because Chael controlled Anderson it means GSP can do it too is an ooblong...Chael for one is a BETTER wrestler than GSP (if you dispute this you are a [b']dingus[/b]) and also Chael is the bigger man, bigger than both Anderson and GSP...I would put money that Chael would do the same thing to GSP that he did to Anderson

What?...

Anderson Silva demolished 2 guys heavier then him why?

Oh thats right cause they were matched up to his style perfectly

Forrest Griffen striker who comes forward

James Irvine bottom fedder of the division.

Put him up against a 205 with a solid wrestling base and the fight would go the same way the Sonnen fight went

You mean Anderson winning via triangle choke.........lol

Archived