Skin Cancer

Pessimist_Pete

I'll be posting here periodically to remind you all of things that can go wrong in life. There are somethings you can do to prevent skin cancer, such as wearing sunscreen. Be aware of the causes:

Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancer. Energy from the sun actually is a form of radiation. It consists of visible light and other rays that people can't see. Invisible infrared radiation, for instance, makes sunlight feel hot. UV also is invisible, and causes sunburn and sun tan.

UV rays damage DNA, the genetic material that makes up genes. Genes control the growth and overall health of skin cells. If the genetic damage is severe, a normal skin cell may begin to grow in the uncontrolled, disorderly way of cancer cells. UV also can cause sunburn, and other damage that makes the skin look prematurely old and wrinkled.

- Pete

Skin cancer should not be something to worry about unless you are constantly out in the sun due to your job(s) or lifestyle(s). You will eventually get cancer if you live long enough. Some people have better immune systems than others.

If you are going to the beach for an all-day evolution- apply protection.

If you are fishing during the summer in the day- apply

If you will not be in the sun for more than 2 hours, you don't need sunscreen. I am a believer in the body's own natural immune system. All medication and ointment are bad if used for extended period of time. It is always better to allow the body to fight for itself prior to resorting to medication.

Skin cancer should not be something to worry about unless you are constantly out in the sun due to your job(s) or lifestyle(s). You will eventually get cancer if you live long enough. Some people have better immune systems than others.

If you are going to the beach for an all-day evolution- apply protection.

If you are fishing during the summer in the day- apply

If you will not be in the sun for more than 2 hours' date=' you don't need sunscreen. I am a believer in the body's own natural immune system. All medication and ointment are bad if used for extended period of time. It is always better to allow the body to fight for itself prior to resorting to medication.[/quote']

I burn really easily so I usually put some spray sunscreen on if im gonna go running or swimming.

That is fine..

Furthermore, unless the temperatures are scorching hot, I would not recommend protection.

95 degrees and over- yes, put on protection.

Low 90's and below- applying protection would actually do more harm from the lotion/medication.

Of course, we are all built differently and have different thresholds for everything..but these are my numbers.

Just remember, too much of anything can be harmful.

Furthermore' date=' unless the temperatures are scorching hot, I would not recommend protection.

95 degrees and over- yes, put on protection.

Low 90's and below- applying protection would actually do more harm from the lotion/medication.

Of course, we are all built differently and have different thresholds for everything..but these are my numbers.

Just remember, too much of anything can be harmful.[/quote']

Please do not listen to this guy. Apply sun screen.

Archived