Why doesnt the UFC allow soccer kicks, stomps and knees to downed opponent?

qaz

Yes it was legal in Pride the problem here is Pride was in Japan where the sport is what it is in america with athletic commissions and the bad name MMA has had in the past it would be a media nightmare and hard to get a lot of cities and "big wigs" to accept the sport without some safety concerns taken care of.

knees to the head from a sprawled position would be good' date=' but an accidental stomp to the throat and BAM!

coma[/quote']

I'm not so sure knees to the head would even be safe. I imagine the risk of concussion, etc. would rise considerably if kneeing to the head were allowed from that position.

Before you say its dangerous please remember they allowed these moves in Pride and there has never been a death or serious injury. It was actually a part of Shoguns and Wandys arsenal.

yah there hasnt been deaths in the ufc or pride but there has been in other MMA leagues around the US thats why. Do you want to get foot stomped and a toe goes in your eye? i didnt think so

I'm not so sure knees to the head would even be safe. I imagine the risk of concussion' date=' etc. would rise considerably if kneeing to the head were allowed from that position.[/quote']

ahhh true true because it is a higher chance of hitting the top or back of the head than from a muay thai clinch, right?

still, anything to end all these wrestling should be banned from MMA threads...

For starters, the UFC doesn't decide whether those strikes are allowed. In the states, the rules are decided by the Athletic Commission. I'm sure the opinions of managers in many organizations, especially the UFC, hold some weight. But when all is said and done, it's up to the commission what's legal and illegal.

To be perfectly honest I think it's because of the bigger fighters. Not only could a 225 fighter cutting to LHW potentially kill a man with a stomp, soccer kick or grounded knee but imagine one of these huge HWs that have to cut to 265. I think just grounded knees should be allowed in all weightclasses except HW.

I love soccer kicks and stomps from Pride but in this era of the sport I think a heavyweight would end up dead and that would be terrible for the sport.

Before you say its dangerous please remember they allowed these moves in Pride and there has never been a death or serious injury. It was actually a part of Shoguns and Wandys arsenal.

I love PRIDE but the sport would never get sanctioned in the US if they allowed them, i think soon elbows could be next, Jones keeps breaking guys with his :P

Yes it was legal in Pride the problem here is Pride was in Japan where the sport is what it is in america with athletic commissions and the bad name MMA has had in the past it would be a media nightmare and hard to get a lot of cities and "big wigs" to accept the sport without some safety concerns taken care of.

This is a run on sentence. :)

Because of the touchy politicians and white collar middle class american's being to uptight and thinking UFC was like "human **** fighting" back in the day.

For starters' date=' the UFC doesn't decide whether those strikes are allowed. In the states, the rules are decided by the Athletic Commission. I'm sure the opinions of managers in many organizations, especially the UFC, hold some weight. But when all is said and done, it's up to the commission what's legal and illegal.[/quote']

both of these, 100% to awnser th OPs question

Wow, I guess none of you know what its like to be kicked when on the ground. The reason why its not allowed is because of the danger and the fact that it's pretty lame. One soccer kick to the face and its over. So basically if a guy slipped on the canvas and a guy kicked him in the face he would be out cold.

Guest [Deleted User]

Dangerous and it would be too boring fights would end too quick a fighters game plan would go something like "Alright let me get him in the sprawl position and continuosly knee his head in until he's unconcious then I'll be champ" and he would do this for the next 5 or 10 fights?

Dangerous and it would be too boring fights would end too quick a fighters game plan would go something like "Alright let me get him in the sprawl position and continuosly knee his head in until he's unconcious then I'll be champ" and he would do this for the next 5 or 10 fights?

Not all fighters would use them. In fact the only person who used them consistently was Shogun. Sorry Pride fights were way more exciting and epic. There are dangers associated with performing every move. I would be more worried about losing an eye due to pokes to be honest. Alan Belcher may not be able to fight again....

Quite frankly its brutal, barbaric, and lethal. Sure MMA is dangerous already but as plenty of people have already said it would make fights end to quickly and put the fighters in greater danger a soccer kick to the head can end a career and a life, not to mention put a very quick end to one mistake like a slip.

I'm surprised nobody here has brought this up. Some of you got it half right but the main reason these aren't allowed is because of the cage.

You've seen the positions where guys are trapped against the cage and if knees were allowed they would eat as many as it took to put them to sleep because there is basically no escape from that position.

In Pride the ring allowed fighters to rotate independently of their position in the ring. Fighters "almost" always had the ability to rotate their body so that their head was out of danger from soccer kicks and stomps. In a cage, there are certain positions where fighters will not be able to rotate out of positions and save themselves from serious head trauma.

Also, Pride had restarts. If the fight was too close to the ropes, it was restarted in the center. I think if they did this in the UFC kicks/stomps would be fine, however that basically defeats the purpose of having a cage.

Watch Diabete vs. Shogun.

Diabete is getting the better part of Shogun in the stand-up.

Then... yeah.

Stomps are the easy way to a win. You land one and it's basically over - no skill involved.

I'd rather not see something like that involved.

+1 I'm was a fan of pride but not a fan of the stomps. Thats some brutal s***

Because its just too brutal

Guys that get soccer kicked, or stomped on the ground don't have long careers.

Look, its already pretty violent, look at some of the awesome knockouts lately:

Struve, Marquart, Hendo, JDS, etc.

We already see some pretty stellar fight ending strikes.

What we don't need is career ending strikes.

What if Shogun, while defending his belt got stomped bad in the fight, then was never the same fighter again?

I'm sorry but I want to see my favorite fighters have long, sucessful careers. Not short lived physically crippling careers.

What if Rich Franklin who got mauled by Anderson would have also been the victim of knees to the head while down pinned against the cage? Rich would be done. He would maybe get one or two more fights in beofre his brains were scrambled.

I love MMA, I love the UFC...I like Pride alot, but darnit, I want the fighters to fight well, fight clean, and live to fight another day.

I do not wish to be entertained at the expense of a fighters life, or long term health.

Things are great the way it is.

Archived