Lay and Pray Sonnen?

Gasman8402

Now don't get me wrong his ground and pound might not be the most devastating and i'm sure a lot have use the term "pillow fits" but what is it with all the people saying "wrestlers like Sonnen who lay and pray"? You guys do realize that in that last fight with Silva Sonnen set the record for the most punches EVER thrown in a UFC bout right? Doesn't sound like lay and pray to me.

If you didn't watch the fight then why comment on it. There wasn't a 5 second period where Sonnen wasn't super busy.

Yeah that's just guys making excuses for Silva having been beat up. They'll say the same thing about Edgar, or anyone else beating up the guy they like. Most of them are idiots and don't really know what's going on anyways (guard passing, submission attempts, exe).

A couple of guys were going around these forum saying Anderson never attempted a submission until the end because he didn't feel like he was in danger until then. Apparently they didn't see his arm bar attempts and the million times he went for the triangle just to meet Chaels fist in his mouth.

if sonnen had more power he would have knocked silva out he landed a lot of shots

Knock outs don't always come from more power. You can have OK power and knock someone out because you know how to hit them. James Toney probably has less KO power then Carwin, but James is more likely to KO Brock with punches because he knows more as to how to punch properly and accurately.

Now don't get me wrong his ground and pound might not be the most devastating and i'm sure a lot have use the term "pillow fits" but what is it with all the people saying "wrestlers like Sonnen who lay and pray"? You guys do realize that in that last fight with Silva Sonnen set the record for the most punches EVER thrown in a UFC bout right? Doesn't sound like lay and pray to me.

If you didn't watch the fight then why comment on it. There wasn't a 5 second period where Sonnen wasn't super busy.

I think they are mad that he wouldn't stand with Silva. Its a retarded stance IMO. WHy play to his strengths? There are FAR worse guys than Sonnan that do LNP to win. Sonnan is at least active when on top. He lands shots and improves when he can.

To me, Jon Fitch is the worst LNP guy around. I hate Fitch now. He doesnt even try to finish anymore, just lays in full or half-guard an wins a decision. Someone needs to KTFO of his **** or sub the **** outta him

watch that fight again and you'll see what kind of punches they're talking about. wrist punches? dude.. the man actually punched from positions I would never have imagined someone would even try. All Sonnen was doing is stay busy to make it look like he was doing something, so the fight wouldn't be stood up. Except in the 1st round, he never really try to inflict real damage. As a result, Silva actually busted his face significantly more from the bottom with a couple of well timed elbows and punches than he himself busted Silva.

At some point you could see Chael just.. hitting Silva's face in a motion that looked kinda exactly like if he was shaking someone's hand.. except that these were "punches" with about 1 inch of amplitude and no power at all.. They count as punches too. He probly scored about 15 of them. Not hard to see how he got that record set.

When you see someone setting the record for the most strikes landed and yet his opponent doesn't shed a single drop of blood... you should really suspect LnP.

Sonnen just uses and active form of Lay n Pray. He does stay busy with his ineffective GnP, but he never improves position and never tries to finish a fight. He does stay busy enough to keep the fight on the ground, so it's not traditional Lay n Pray, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Sonnen just uses and active form of Lay n Pray. He does stay busy with his ineffective GnP' date=' but he never improves position and never tries to finish a fight. He does stay busy enough to keep the fight on the ground, so it's not traditional Lay n Pray, but it's pretty much the same thing.[/quote']

Whatever, I don't think so. He hit Anderson with some bombs, when he was standing and Anderson was on his back. If it was such bad LnP, why did so many people enjoy that fight. You Silva fans just can't get over the fact that Sonnen took that fight to Anderson, went toe-to-toe in the stand up and abused him on the ground (I would be furious if someone was on top of me, boxing my ears and I couldn't do a thing about it.) Face it, Chael brought out the Anderson everyone loves, why is there any hate at all?

hey man...a wins a win...if the other guy is less skilled on the ground why not take it there and hold it where your the strongest? It gives you points and allows you the opportunity to gnp or sub from the top given the opportunity...while ensuring your victory point wise...id take the high percent win over the fifty fifty high light real win any day..

Whatever' date=' I don't think so. He hit Anderson with some bombs, when he was standing and Anderson was on his back. If it was such bad LnP, why did so many people enjoy that fight. You Silva fans just can't get over the fact that Sonnen took that fight to Anderson, went toe-to-toe in the stand up and abused him on the ground (I would be furious if someone was on top of me, boxing my ears and I couldn't do a thing about it.) Face it, Chael brought out the Anderson everyone loves, why is there any hate at all?[/quote']

Since he hit Anderson with all these bombs, why wasn't he ever close to finishing the fight? I don't mean to badmouth Sonnen. But, he's only pounded out 1 person in what 4, 5 years. And he's a dominant Wrestler, so it's safe to assume he spends most of the time on the ground on top. He doesn't finish people while on top so it's only sensible to think it's Lay n Pray. He stays busy, but doesn't threaten. Hence, it's not conventional Lay n Pray, but it serves the same purpose.

Since he hit Anderson with all these bombs' date=' why wasn't he ever close to finishing the fight? I don't mean to badmouth Sonnen. But, he's only pounded out 1 person in what 4, 5 years. And he's a dominant Wrestler, so it's safe to assume he spends most of the time on the ground on top. He doesn't finish people while on top so it's only sensible to think it's Lay n Pray. He stays busy, but doesn't threaten. Hence, it's not conventional Lay n Pray, but it serves the same purpose.[/quote']

Hmm, I don't know if I agree with you. None the less, Chael is a very exciting fighter, who is developing a nice stand up game (hence dropping Silva twice).

Do you really know if he was close to finishing or not. If he wasn't, hmm, maybe it is because Anderson is tough as hell and who is the last person to even come close to "finishing" him. Maybe he uses some LnP tactics on the ground, but he doesn't go out there and look for takedowns the whole time. He struck with Anderson Silva, maybe the best striker in MMA, can you please not put him in the same category as Fitch or GSP or Lentz or Askren or any boring wrestler?

Do you really know if he was close to finishing or not. If he wasn't' date=' hmm, maybe it is because Anderson is tough as hell and who is the last person to even come close to "finishing" him.[/quote']

I know he never came close to finishing Miller, Okami, or Marquardt, so I just assume he didn't come close to finishing the guy that is much better than the 3 of them. But, you're right, what can I really know not being Silva?

Flail? You are such a hater. He definantly rocked him at least twice. Once in the first round and once in the last round' date=' and I'm talking about on the feet.[/quote']

Nope. The knockdown in the last round was a slip. Rewatch the fight. Even Joe Rogan, after he busted his nut about Chael dropping him again, said it was a slip after he watched the replay.

Nope. The knockdown in the last round was a slip. Rewatch the fight. Even Joe Rogan' date=' after he busted his nut about Chael dropping him again, said it was a slip after he watched the replay.[/quote']

Ha ha, ok maybe your right, we would have to be Silva to know the truth. You seem like a cool dude, lets just agree Silva and Sonnen are both good, exciting fighters, ok?

Sonnen is the opposite of Lay and pray. He fights like a wrestler; improving his position non stop and never stopping. If he would have layed and prayed in the last minute he would have won but he didn't.

That is quite possibly true. If that is really the case, he must be kicking himself.

Ha ha' date=' ok maybe your right, we would have to be Silva to know the truth. You seem like a cool dude, lets just agree Silva and Sonnen are both good, exciting fighters, ok?[/quote']

I'll agree that was an exciting fight, had my heart racing because I am a Silva fan. But I will not say I think Sonnen's style is fun to watch.

Sonnen is the opposite of Lay and pray. He fights like a wrestler; improving his position non stop and never stopping. If he would have layed and prayed in the last minute he would have won but he didn't.

Nope, he rarely improves his position. He got finished not because he got ahead of himself trying to finish the fight, but because he sat back on his heels, trying to rest and could not clear his wrist because he was gassed.

Nope' date=' he rarely improves his position [i']when he is on the ground[/i]. He got finished not because he got ahead of himself trying to finish the fight, but because he sat back on his heels, trying to rest and could not clear his wrist because he was gassed.

Sonnen wasn't even on my radar until after the Silva fight. Standing with Silva, that takes guts!

Archived