Alien Solar System Discovered Looks Like Ours

HeavyWeightStriker

Astronomers have discovered a group of at least five planets ? with hints of two more ? circling around a star in an arrangement similar to our own solar system. Confirmation of the extra planets would make this the highest tally of alien worlds ever spotted around a single star.

The planets and their own sun-like star are about 127 light-years from Earth, astronomers with the European Southern Observatory said. It is one of just 15 planetary systems known to have more than three worlds.

The five planets circle their parent star, HD 10180, in a regular pattern like the planets of our solar system, only in a more compact arrangement, the researchers said.

Of the two potential additional planets that may be present, one may have a mass that is the closest to the Earth's yet seen, if it is confirmed, they added. [ The Strangest Alien Planets ]

"We have found what is most likely the system with the most planets yet discovered," astronomer Christophe Lovis, lead author of the study, said in a statement Tuesday. "This remarkable discovery also highlights the fact that we are now entering a new era in exoplanet research: the study of complex planetary systems and not just of individual planets.

Astronomers have discovered a group of at least five planets ? with hints of two more ? circling around a star in an arrangement similar to our own solar system. Confirmation of the extra planets would make this the highest tally of alien worlds ever spotted around a single star.

The planets and their own sun-like star are about 127 light-years from Earth' date=' astronomers with the European Southern Observatory said. It is one of just 15 planetary systems known to have more than three worlds.

The five planets circle their parent star, HD 10180, in a regular pattern like the planets of our solar system, only in a more compact arrangement, the researchers said.

Of the two potential additional planets that may be present, one may have a mass that is the closest to the Earth's yet seen, if it is confirmed, they added. [ The Strangest Alien Planets ']

"We have found what is most likely the system with the most planets yet discovered," astronomer Christophe Lovis, lead author of the study, said in a statement Tuesday. "This remarkable discovery also highlights the fact that we are now entering a new era in exoplanet research: the study of complex planetary systems and not just of individual planets.

Oh Lawd!:rolleyes:

I do not know why we ****ing bother doing anything but track Near Earth objects at this point in time. It is pretty much impossible for us to ever travel to any planet or system thanks to the rules of physics. You cannot exceed light speed period and unless we somehow learned to replicate or convert matter. (Matter cannot be created or destroyed merely shifted from one state to another) we wont be able to produce the necessary food or water for astronauts to make such a journey. The nearest start system to earth is 7 light years away. And even if we could move at the speed of light it would take 7 years to get there another year or two to do anything meaningful there and 7 more to come home. Combined trip time Bare minimum of 14 years.

And thats following the rules of physics, And don't even mention the possibility of worm holes. The fact that we concentrate on anything except planetary defense from large astroids is laughable at this point in time and I actually think NASA should be shut down and the idiot who decides to fund the trip to mars or the moon with tax payer money should be ***** slapped Mars should only ever be visited if we had a viable way of Terra forming it.

its imperative for humans to learn everything about space as soon as we can. eventually humans will have to leave earth if we are to see long term survival, we have avoided cataclysmic extinction a few times in the past, the fact we are still here is a mirical. anyday. the main threat being ourselves. humans feel the need to explore, thats fact, we are curious, and we now hove the ability to travel to one of the most majestic and awe inspiring things, SPACE, were anything is possible. we want to be apart of something big, like knowing we are one of thousands of intelligent species. The fact is, within the next 100 years, humans will be able to travel lightyears in space, LIGHTYEARS. nasa is allready designing new rockets that are competly different and will allow manned missions to mars, and the moon on the reg. the human race in the near future will need to leave earth in search of new homes if our race is to survive, earth is breaking down, decomposing, humans have to leave someday. THATS WHY WE NEED TO LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT SPACE

believer of what? spending billions of dollars on stuff that doesn't matter? The only thing we should be doing in regards to space is looking through telescopes for potential threats.

stuff that dosnt matter? do you not wish the long term survival of the human race? we have to leave earth someday, everyone knows this. the sooner we learn how to the better.

and how much tax money was used to 'explore' this pointless endeavor?

so much that you wont even notice. so shut up and worry about things that interest you. ive said it befor, ill say it again, if humans are to see long term survival, we will have to leave earth in search of a new home. sounds impossible now, but with how rapid we learn and grow, the ability for humans travel lightyears will be possible in your kids kids lifetime. we already have developed brilliant rocket systems that will take men to mars and back, the mission is set to take place very soon.

its imperative for humans to learn everything about space as soon as we can. eventually humans will have to leave earth if we are to see long term survival' date=' we have avoided cataclysmic extinction a few times in the past, the fact we are still here is a mirical. anyday. the main threat being ourselves. humans feel the need to explore, thats fact, we are curious, and we now hove the ability to travel to one of the most majestic and awe inspiring things, SPACE, were anything is possible. we want to be apart of something big, like knowing we are one of thousands of intelligent species. The fact is, within the next 100 years, humans will be able to travel lightyears in space, LIGHTYEARS. nasa is allready designing new rockets that are competly different and will allow manned missions to mars, and the moon on the reg. the human race in the near future will need to leave earth in search of new homes if our race is to survive, earth is breaking down, decomposing, humans have to leave someday. THATS WHY WE NEED TO LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT SPACE[/quote']

Actually no, if we were a little bit more responsible we wouldn't have to leave earth until the sun goes nova. The earth can only sustain about 5 billion people on it without the use of oil and gas with alternate energy sources. Oil and gas is actually borrowing from the future of our planet and reducing long term population sustainability. If we were responsible as a species we would institute a 1 child policy globally until our population has reverted to a sustainable level. The Earth is not decomposing or breaking down like you are trying to say, the earth is in fact attempting to right itself from the damage we have done to it as a species and it will do so to wipe out the disease (that's us) that is wreaking havoc on its homeostasis. The earth was here long before we were and will be here long after we kill ourselves off.

Lets go into a few things that make space travel to planets outside our solar system both incredibly impractical but pretty much impossible shall we?

First space ships will not be like the ones you see in startrek, they will and are much more like submarines.... Because A. We do not have Replicators that can manufacture anything out of thin air because, MATTER CANNOT BE CREATED OR DESTROYED MERELY SHIFTED FROM ONE FORM TO ANOTHER. and because B. Virtually unlimited power sources that are self contained and require little storage space to house do not exist.

Secondly there is pretty much nothing to see in space except a dull black void, those interesting pictures of the pillars of creation were pretty much manipulated to appear more interesting then they actually are... http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/1995/44/image/a/

Third going anywhere worth visiting means you would NEVER make it back home because.... Starwars universe has Hyperdrive, Startrek warp drive Stargate has well stargates... Ideas pulled out of nowhere because of E=MC2. I'll explain this in simple terms... A little bit of mass ='s alot of energy This means that by adding a little bit of energy you actually infact add mass to an object, you don't notice it normally but you will if you go fast enough. So.... as an object approaches the speed of light but right before it reaches it becomes infinitely massive... and the only way to make something infinitely massive go faster is to use an infinite amount of energy... Even if you are trying to propel one object at that speed, there isn't enough energy in the universe to get past the light speed threshold.

I have many more reasons why going to other Solar systems is impossible do you want me to keep listing them or is it getting through to you yet that science Fiction is just that.

This link will tell you exactly how long it will take for a beam of light to reach objects of interest in the universe.

http://www.krysstal.com/scale.html

Actually no' date=' if we were a little bit more responsible we wouldn't have to leave earth until the sun goes nova. The earth can only sustain about 5 billion people on it without the use of oil and gas with alternate energy sources. Oil and gas is actually borrowing from the future of our planet and reducing long term population sustainability. If we were responsible as a species we would institute a 1 child policy globally until our population has reverted to a sustainable level. The Earth is not decomposing or breaking down like you are trying to say, the earth is in fact attempting to right itself from the damage we have done to it as a species and it will do so to wipe out the disease (that's us) that is wreaking havoc on its homeostasis. The earth was here long before we were and will be here long after we kill ourselves off.

Lets go into a few things that make space travel to planets outside our solar system both incredibly impractical but pretty much impossible shall we?

First space ships will not be like the ones you see in startrek, they will and are much more like submarines.... Because A. We do not have Replicators that can manufacture anything out of thin air because, MATTER CANNOT BE CREATED OR DESTROYED MERELY SHIFTED FROM ONE FORM TO ANOTHER. and because B. Virtually unlimited power sources that are self contained and require little storage space to house do not exist.

Secondly there is pretty much nothing to see in space except a dull black void, those interesting pictures of the pillars of creation were pretty much manipulated to appear more interesting then they actually are... http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/1995/44/image/a/

Third going anywhere worth visiting means you would NEVER make it back home because.... Starwars universe has Hyperdrive, Startrek warp drive Stargate has well stargates... Ideas pulled out of nowhere because of E=MC2. I'll explain this in simple terms... A little bit of mass ='s alot of energy This means that by adding a little bit of energy you actually infact add mass to an object, you don't notice it normally but you will if you go fast enough. So.... as an object approaches the speed of light but right before it reaches it becomes infinitely massive... and the only way to make something infinitely massive go faster is to use an infinite amount of energy... Even if you are trying to propel one object at that speed, there isn't enough energy in the universe to get past the light speed threshold.

I have many more reasons why going to other Solar systems is impossible do you want me to keep listing them or is it getting through to you yet that science Fiction is just that.

This link will tell you exactly how long it will take for a beam of light to reach objects of interest in the universe.

http://www.krysstal.com/scale.html[/quote']

BType for President! I wholeheartedly agree with everything in your first paragraph.

Haven't seen you in awhile man, good to see you post.

BType for President! I wholeheartedly agree with everything in your first paragraph.

Haven't seen you in awhile man' date=' good to see you post.[/quote']

I wouldn't say I am necessarily back to posting regularly here or on other sites just had abit of downtime while I wait for my real estate deal to go through. And I had an idea out of nowhere that I posted in the MMA section to get more fan opinions. But sadly no one wishes to discuss it so yeah sort of wasted my time.

The planets and their own sun-like star are about 127 light-years from Earth' date=' astronomers with the European Southern Observatory said. It is one of just 15 planetary systems known to have more than three worlds.

Of the two potential additional planets that may be present, one may have a mass that is the closest to the Earth's yet seen, if it is confirmed, they added. [ The Strangest Alien Planets ']

They're probably saying the same thing over there.

All these astronomers need to just use Wikipedia to get their information rather than trying to discover things themselves.... let the russians figure it out.

Love the sarcasm but I am not against scanning the sky and discovering new things, but I think that our investment should be in looking for objects that are a danger to human life first, and stargazing second. Finally for mars, we should first invest in learning how to Terraform the planet before we get all crazy about the development of rockets capable of leaving the solar system. Especially because like what has been stated before we are not going to go anywhere meaningful with our rockets anytime soon.

Actually no' date=' if we were a little bit more responsible we wouldn't have to leave earth until the sun goes nova. The earth can only sustain about 5 billion people on it without the use of oil and gas with alternate energy sources. Oil and gas is actually borrowing from the future of our planet and reducing long term population sustainability. If we were responsible as a species we would institute a 1 child policy globally until our population has reverted to a sustainable level. The Earth is not decomposing or breaking down like you are trying to say, the earth is in fact attempting to right itself from the damage we have done to it as a species and it will do so to wipe out the disease (that's us) that is wreaking havoc on its homeostasis. The earth was here long before we were and will be here long after we kill ourselves off.

100 years ago if you said you will fly to the moon people would say thats impossible you're crazy

just like right now when you say you will fly to another solar system people will say thats impossible you're crazy

just wait awhile as technology grows faster and faster every year, and the greatest scientists put there minds together to figure out long distance space travel

you say its impossible now but to be honest you have no idea what the future holds

100 years ago if you said you will fly to the moon people would say thats impossible you're crazy

just like right now when you say you will fly to another solar system people will say thats impossible you're crazy

just wait awhile as technology grows faster and faster every year' date=' and the greatest scientists put there minds together to figure out long distance space travel

you say its impossible now but to be honest you have no idea what the future holds[/quote']

Flying was not a physical impossibility based upon the observable rules of physics and the universe. Faster then light travel however is. I'm not saying we wont be able to reach other solar systems BUT it would be horribly impractical even if we could get to 99% of light speed.

I might not know what the future holds but I do have an understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, enough so to realize that we should be investing resources into more practical things. Like say the technology necessary to Terraform mars?

Traveling the speed of light is impossible as far as we know but there are other methods that could be possible in the distant future provided we come up with a way to produce a lot more energy than we currently are able to. Folding space or warp drive and the creation of worm holes etc.

Traveling the speed of light is impossible as far as we know but there are other methods that could be possible in the distant future provided we come up with a way to produce a lot more energy than we currently are able to. Folding space or warp drive and the creation of worm holes etc.

When someone figures out how to fold space without creating singularities they will have made the greatest contribution to science in the realm of human exploration period. Warp drive is said to be created sometime in the distant future to never. Worm holes there is no guarantee that once you go through them you will be able to come back from it.

I don't want to be the downer here, but I think its best for the time being that we concentrate on things that we can deal with then throwing money into space exploration that is a big what if, dependent on technology we may never create.

When someone figures out how to fold space without creating singularities they will have made the greatest contribution to science in the realm of human exploration period. Warp drive is said to be created sometime in the distant future to never. Worm holes there is no guarantee that once you go through them you will be able to come back from it.

I don't want to be the downer here' date=' but I think its best for the time being that we concentrate on things that we can deal with then throwing money into space exploration that is a big what if, dependent on technology we may never create.[/quote']

The focus on space is premature, as we currently don't have near the technology required. But one day it will be important.

The focus on space is premature' date=' as we currently don't have near the technology required. But one day it will be important.[/quote']

I can agree with this if our priorities are first fixing the damage we have done to earth while concentrating on tracking near earth objects like asteroids that could end us. then 2. concentrating on transforming mars. Then going out from there.

I can agree with this if our priorities are first fixing the damage we have done to earth while concentrating on tracking near earth objects like asteroids that could end us. then 2. concentrating on transforming mars. Then going out from there.

Finding a new energy source is pretty much key to a lot of things right now.

Finding a new energy source is pretty much key to a lot of things right now.

That's something I would equate with fixing the damage we have done to planet earth because in order to do that we need to:

1. Break our reliance on fossil fuels.

2. Reduce the human population and therefore the burden on the planet to produce food for us to a sustainable level. (Biologists and ecologists have come to the consensus that that number is about 5 billion people)

3. Become Carbon Neutral

4. Cut down on environmental waste

5. Cut down on human waste

6. Develop ways to recycle our fresh water because we are running right out of it.

Archived