Happy Days!

HappyHamer

Recently, after recieving a Lego Land Speeder for his 6th birthday, my son has developed an interest in Star Wars, and we are now watching, in instalments, the original trilogy. Despite having to answer the question "Is he a goodie or a baddie?" every five minutes, and finding child friendly, non-uber geek ways to describe the Empire and the Alliance, watching something that was so iconic to my childhood with the next generation of my family is a sheer joy.

What are the things from your childhood that you look forward to imparting to your kids?

Recently' date=' after recieving a Lego Land Speeder for his 6th birthday, my son has developed an interest in Star Wars, and we are now watching, in instalments, the original trilogy. Despite having to answer the question "Is he a goodie or a baddie?" every five minutes, and finding child friendly, non-uber geek ways to describe the Empire and the Alliance, watching something that was so iconic to my childhood with the next generation of my family is a sheer joy.

What are the things from your childhood that you look forward to imparting to your kids?[/quote']

When Episode 1 came out I tried the whole reliving the greatness of the original trilogy with my kids thing, but once we started, they became less and less interested, and I realized more and more just how cheesy and not really good they were. Ruined the whole Star Wars legacy for me!

Anyway, I share music and car/motorcycle enthusiasm with my oldest son, and oddly enough, humor and love for comic and anime' art with the other son.

My little girl is turning out to be the only sports fan of the kids, but I have already indoctrinated her into her Houston Rockets/Astros/Texans love!

Don't show them the Prequels please....

After the original trilogy, he's expressed an interest in Indiana Jones! After that I'm hoping he can take American Werewolf In London!

Of course I joke, it's The Hills Have Eyes and Deliverance first:eek:

After the original trilogy' date=' he's expressed an interest in Indiana Jones! After that I'm hoping he can take American Werewolf In London!

Of course I joke, it's The Hills Have Eyes and Deliverance first:eek:[/quote']

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space", "The Toxic Avenger", and all the rest of the Troma Team films have been a huge bonding thing for me and my younger son!

Recently' date=' after recieving a Lego Land Speeder for his 6th birthday, my son has developed an interest in Star Wars, and we are now watching, in instalments, the original trilogy. Despite having to answer the question "Is he a goodie or a baddie?" every five minutes, and finding child friendly, non-uber geek ways to describe the Empire and the Alliance, watching something that was so iconic to my childhood with the next generation of my family is a sheer joy.

What are the things from your childhood that you look forward to imparting to your kids?[/quote']

What a cool story. Damn you and your good life!

when i get kids i'll make sure they watch star wars the original trilogy i don't care that much about the new ones lord of the rings and of course they watch dragonball z and gundam wing

If you really want to give them some culture get them to read the books, but they have to read "The Hobbit" first and I gaurantee if they have any imagination at all that will pull them right in to the "Rings" trilogy.

Call me a nerd if you want but I have personally read all 4 books at least a dozen times, and each of my kids (well the 9 yr old is just starting "The Hobbit") has read them at least once. Great 20th century literature those books.

But yeah we still watch DragonballZ and Gundam together. You can get the entire Gundam series on Netflix Instant play. Robotech too.

A great day in my life was watching "Akira" with my younger son for the first time and seeing his eyes blaze in amazement.

If you really want to give them some culture get them to read the books' date=' but they have to read "The Hobbit" first and I gaurantee if they have any imagination at all that will pull them right in to the "Rings" trilogy.

Call me a nerd if you want but I have personally read all 4 books at least a dozen times, and each of my kids (well the 9 yr old is just starting "The Hobbit") has read them at least once. Great 20th century literature those books.

But yeah we still watch DragonballZ and Gundam together. You can get the entire Gundam series on Netflix Instant play. Robotech too.

A great day in my life was watching "Akira" with my younger son for the first time and seeing his eyes blaze in amazement.[/quote']

I got half way through the hobbit and was totally in love with this book. And for some reason, stopped reading it for maybe a week. Now I have no idea where it is, or even where I origanally got the book.

School! I borrowed it from a teacher, and school ended for summer. Ahhhh, mystery solvedicon7.gif

I remember doing this, there is nothing better than passing down staples of your own childhood to your kid.

good times :)

Although my little girl hasn't arrived yet i have found shopping an enlightening experience. When i brought a dog cage home for her to sleep in i was told by my lovely wife in no uncertain terms that apparently babies do not sleep in cages but cots. So far my parents have been unavailable for comment.

hahaha i have a daughter on the way. she is due in november and i have already bought her a hockey jersey. i am from cole harbour where sidney crosby is from and it was either washing or pittsburg. so i went with washington just because crosby made hockey parents even more crazier than they already are here. and as much as my wife doesnt want me to i am going to take my daughter shooting when she is old enough because i am an avid gun guy.

Archived