car experts i have a question

machidaNo1p4p

ok i dunno anything about car mechanics i have a question im hoping some1 can answer.

i have a 03 bmw 320d. it runs perfect feels perfect ive never had a car in such good condition' date=' but when i go to the higher revs alot of clear smoke comes out the exhaust .

does anybody know what would cause this?[/quote']

blue smoke= burning oil

black smoke= burning fuel (excess)

white smoke= burning antifreeze

might help a little. never heard of clear smoke.

yeah like 'zerk said it could be head gaskets. take it to a shop and have them pressure test the system. if the pressure drops and you can't see any fluid leaking out it's coming from the inside. most likely the head gasket.

^^agreed

check your coolant levels as well. If it's low there's a good chance its going out the exhaust by way of the leaky gasket

Usually head gaskets are fairly cheap... the labor is a killer though.

I blew both head gaskets off a mustang I had a few years back. Gaskets were $50 or so. $500 labor to have them replaced and I went ahead and resurfaced the heads for about $90.

03 320? What the hell is that? BMW has made 318s (not anymore and not in 03) 323 (not anymore). My dad has a 03 325Ci. They use to make a 328 and a 330. Now I'm pretty sure it's just 328s and the new 335.

Sorry I've just never heard of a 320 perhaps I should look it up. Is it a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder? I know the 325s are inline 6s. 328s are V6's and the 330s were I-6s as well.

Oh nevermind very nice a 2 liter 4 cylinder diesel. I have honestly never seen one in my entire life. It could be certain parts of the country they are just not around.

Sounds sweet though I like diesels. Just take it to someone trustworthy and get it straightened out. I bet it gets sweet gas mileage.

I should have just ****ing looked it up instead of questioning its existence because I've seen every BMW but that model. Sorry...

Oh nevermind very nice a 2 liter 4 cylinder diesel. I have honestly never seen one in my entire life. It could be certain parts of the country they are just not around.

Sounds sweet though I like diesels. Just take it to someone trustworthy and get it straightened out. I bet it gets sweet gas mileage.

I should have just ****ing looked it up instead of questioning its existence because I've seen every BMW but that model. Sorry...

It's probably a Europe-only model.

It's probably a Europe-only model.

I googled it and this problem must be common because several people are complaining and asking questions on the first page.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/archive/index.php/t-54940.html

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1my8w-2003-bmw-320d-oil-in-the-exhaust-fumes-just-after-a-service

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=38999

This car sounds problematic. Turbo failures and people complaining about them smoking. Maybe you should look into a different vehicle.

I googled it and this problem must be common because several people are complaining and asking questions on the first page.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/archive/index.php/t-54940.html

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1my8w-2003-bmw-320d-oil-in-the-exhaust-fumes-just-after-a-service

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=38999

This car sounds problematic. Turbo failures and people complaining about them smoking. Maybe you should look into a different vehicle.

nope my turbo is perfect and its a dream to drive.

no prob .ya its 150bhp and it will do 70 to the gallon on motorway

I havent got a clue.

but IF YOU can afford a beamer then YOU can afford to take it to the dealership.

if you cant afford to take your BMW to the dealer about an issue you have with the color of your exaust then maybe you should consider selling it and buying a toyota.

ive fixed cars for 20 years and everyone sounds correct on the antifreeze leak. take it to a shop like 1 member stated and they will pressure check it. you stated the bmw is running good, no check engine light on or flashing? this could indicate a certain cylinder getting the antifreeze in it and make for a faster diagnosis. eithor way its a very costly repair. also check your oil to make sure your oil is not milky white, if it is your head gasket is blown worser than you thought and antifreeze may be entering the crankcase. good luck

ive fixed cars for 20 years and everyone sounds correct on the antifreeze leak. take it to a shop like 1 member stated and they will pressure check it. you stated the bmw is running good' date=' no check engine light on or flashing? this could indicate a certain cylinder getting the antifreeze in it and make for a faster diagnosis. eithor way its a very costly repair. also check your oil to make sure your oil is not milky white, if it is your head gasket is blown worser than you thought and antifreeze may be entering the crankcase. good luck[/quote']

lol

looks like your beamer is RIDIN DURTY!

6acd.jpg

looks like yo beamers ridin durty

f0c6.jpg

looks like your beamers ridin durty

DSC00215.jpg

looks like your beamers ridin durty

gay-pride-parade.jpg

I havent got a clue.

but IF YOU can afford a beamer then YOU can afford to take it to the dealership.

if you cant afford to take your BMW to the dealer about an issue you have with the color of your exaust then maybe you should consider selling it and buying a toyota.

its a 03 it wasnt that expensive. im gettin married friday so funds are tight at the mom

I havent got a clue.

but IF YOU can afford a beamer then YOU can afford to take it to the

ive fixed cars for 20 years and everyone sounds correct on the antifreeze leak. take it to a shop like 1 member stated and they will pressure check it. you stated the bmw is running good' date=' no check engine light on or flashing? this could indicate a certain cylinder getting the antifreeze in it and make for a faster diagnosis. eithor way its a very costly repair. also check your oil to make sure your oil is not milky white, if it is your head gasket is blown worser than you thought and antifreeze may be entering the crankcase. good luck[/quote']

thank you very much . ya checked oil its the right colour and no indicators flashing. will just bring it to main dealer next month.

There is a liquid they can put in your rad that will turn the smoke red if antifreeze is being burned. They can also generally tell by looking at the condition of your plugs.

The head gasket is only one possibility. Could also be a cracked head or block.

Pressure testing your cooling system is also a good way to check.

edit this to add white smoke is not uncommon and could have to do with your catalytic converter not working right. These days all that exhaust has to be burned and reburned so many times.

Archived