Which Fighter(s) got you interested in MMA

PRIDEneverDIED

I watched the first couple of UFC events when I was much younger, but I kind of lost interest around the time it was banned in most states because it became too hard to fallow. Then when I saw Tito Ortiz fight, I got hooked. The dude brought so much passion and intensity. His feud with the Lion's Den and then eventually Ken Shamrock is what turned me from a casual viewer to a loyal fan of MMA.

Watched when the orginal no holds barred ones came out but was never really a fan until I happened to catch UFC31 at a sports bar. The Couture vs Rizzo fight was just amazing and got me hooked. Seen almost every card since UFC40.

If I had to pick one guy probably Liddell as he was kicking asses and taking names right around then.

so why'd you start watching MMA...instead of boxing

Two main reasons.

1. The sport started being MORE about money..so a bunch of empty "titles" were created for marketing fights..and it hurt the integrity of the "champions"...and the top guys started dodging one another..and...it just became a mess.

2. MMA is simply "better" than boxing. MMA is the evolution..the next step after boxing/wrestling/karate/muay thai etc...it's a "complete" fight. It's everything. It's the pinnacle of one on one...competition.

I watch NO other sport other than MMA...not Basketball..Football..Soccer etc. The only kind of "sport" I could every really enjoy are combat sports. Because they "matter" in a way..that playing with a ball etc...could never achieve. Fighting.."means" something. And MMA is the most complete kind of fight you can have...making some concessions for safety..which I don't mind at all. But beyond killing/maiming blows...MMA is EVERYTHING that make a fight a fight..ALL tools are on the table. Who is truly the better combatant? It's just better than boxing or any other sport.

You hear guys talk about Football..and how so and so..or this team...had to "dig deep" and come back..and it was a "war" etc..

No...really...no..

NO football player will EVER have to have the kind of balls that it takes..to get into a cage..have the door close...on YOU and your OPPONENT...that's IT.

You will "live" or "die" based SOLELY on YOUR SKILL. You have no team. No one else to share the burden of failure or success.

Show me ANY other athlete in ANY other sport who had to display the kind of heart/soul/determination as Fitch in his fight with GSP.

Fighting MEANS something. It's beautiful and poignant in a way that no "sport" can be.

I don't even really consider MMA a "sport" it's something more.

Wow...rambling a bit...but...that's basically why I don't watch boxing anymore.

Cheers sir!

-DR

Watched when the orginal no holds barred ones came out but was never really a fan until I happened to catch UFC31 at a sports bar. The Couture vs Rizzo fight was just amazing and got me hooked. Seen almost every card since UFC40.

If I had to pick one guy probably Liddell as he was kicking asses and taking names right around then.

no_holds_barred.jpg

Im gonna be the only person saying bob sapp aint I? lol

Bob Sapp fighting some dude was one of the first fights I specifically remember... It may have been in K1 though.

I remember watching Tra Telligman and Pedro Rizzo at UFC 43 and wondering (like everyone else) wtf is with his pec.

I'd say Tito and Rich Franklin got me into MMA. I was at the Mandalay Bay gambling the week Rich demolished Nate Quarry... sucks I didn't even realize the event was there until the next morning (28 hr session at poker) when some guy was talking about how great it was.

Kinda searched out some highlights and then started watching TUF3... I had seen episodes of TUF1&2 in passing but the Tito/Ken rivalry got me hooked.

I was always more interested in Muay Thai and Kickboxing prior to MMA. I did not see the first ufc until it came out on video. Royce Gracie was good, but the fighter who got me hooked was none other than Ken Shamrock. He was like the good guy. Whether he won or not, his presence always left me with the thought of becoming a fighter....and he had the perfect image of a cage fighter.

Many of you youngsters bash on Ken Shamrock..but let me tell you something. Ken was the man. He build this sport. He made MMA popular. Gracie was a more dominating champ, but Ken had the image, the persona, and the mentality of a warrior. Long live Ken Shamrock.

Archived