Lawal Says Defeat Deserved for Abandoning Game Plan

The_Power

from sherdog.com

a_aug._21_presser_pic_5_km_large.jpg

Sometimes after a loss, fighters might take a long time to figure out what went wrong.

Not so for former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed ?King Mo? Lawal, who lost his title to Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante via a third-round referee stoppage at Strikeforce "Houston" earlier this month.

"I threw out my wrestling," Lawal told the Sherdog Radio Network's "Savage Dog Show" on Monday. "The thing is, if you look at (UFC 118), wrestling dominated. Demian Maia used wrestling to get his takedowns. Gray Maynard used wrestling. Frankie Edgar used his hands and his wrestling when he had to. I didn't use my wrestling enough. I didn't set anything up. I didn't fake any takedowns. I didn't really shoot any hard takedown attempts."

Lawal was leading on the judges' scorecards before Cavalcante floored the collegiate wrestling champion with consecutive knees and a right hand to signal the beginning of the end.

The 29-year-old fighter won the title by out-wrestling favorite Gegard Mousasi to a five-round unanimous decision at Strikeforce ?Nashville? on April 17 in Tennessee.

Lawal did slam Cavalcante early in the fight, but "Feijao" got back to his feet shortly thereafter and Lawal stayed away from his trademark wrestling after that. Lawal said Cavalcante's quick recovery wasn't the reason why he didn't utilize his wrestling skills.

"A slam is a slam," said Lawal. "A takedown is different. If you take somebody down, you control their whole body into a position when you land. But I slammed him and was looking to throw punches and he came back up. I was trying to throw punches and he came back up and recovered. If I'd just grinded him out and taken him down over and over like I did with Mousasi, he would've been gassed out dead in the third round."

The first loss of Lawal's eight-fight pro MMA career not only cost him the Strikeforce title, but it will put him on the sidelines for several months, as he will undergo knee surgery to replace both his anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments in his left knee on Wednesday in Los Angeles.

Lawal?s surgery will be performed by Dr. Neal S. Elattrache, of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, the same physician who performed arthroscopic surgery on heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum Aug. 18 to remove 27 loose bone fragments in the Brazilian?s left elbow.

It's the second ACL surgery for Lawal, who had the same surgery in 2009 after tearing the ligament during the first round of his bout against Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku ?Seventh Battle? in March 2009.

Lawal was upbeat about the defeat and the upcoming rehabilitation process, which could take up to nine months.

"I've lost before in wrestling," said Lawal. "I'm going to bounce back. I didn't want to lose, but I deserved to lose because I went out there and abandoned my true game plan. I just went out there and fought a stupid fight. If I hadn't lost, I would've gone back and done the same things over and over again. If I wouldn't have lost now, who knows who I would've lost to later."

In other words...

"All I can do is wrestle. I will never try to improve my overall skillset to include anything other than wrestling takedowns and position control again. Expect a future full of long drawn out decisions for me after I hold all my future opponents down and do nothing else, like I did with Mousassi."

He lost to Mousasi too.

He got a lucky D there.

LMAO! Go watch the fight - please tell me what three rounds you think Mousasi won. Seriously, I'm dying to know. No joke, please tell me what rounds you thought Lawal didn't win.

As for Mo, he'll be back. And yes, he'll likely work on taking down and controlling his opponent. Like it or not, wrestling is VERY VERY effective. If you are bored with it, I suggest a striking sport such as Kickboxing or regular Boxing might be more your style. I personally love both boxing and MMA, but for very different reasons...and one of the reasons I DO love MMA is that I grew up wrestling. I love that sport. I love seeing how incredibly effective it's proven to be.

I concur with Leiting on the awesomeness of wrestling and that Mo will be back (great post Josh as well). There's no question he has holes in his game, but he can hang with some of the better guys in SF because of his wrestling. Now that he's had his wake-up call and has had his ego checked a few notches, I'd expect to see him get back to a more wrestling-focused game-plan.

LMAO! Go watch the fight - please tell me what three rounds you think Mousasi won. Seriously' date=' I'm dying to know. No joke, please tell me what rounds you thought Lawal didn't win.

As for Mo, he'll be back. And yes, he'll likely work on taking down and controlling his opponent. Like it or not, wrestling is VERY VERY effective. If you are bored with it, I suggest a striking sport such as Kickboxing or regular Boxing might be more your style. I personally love both boxing and MMA, but for very different reasons...and one of the reasons I DO love MMA is that I grew up wrestling. I love that sport. I love seeing how incredibly effective it's proven to be.[/quote']

I think Mousasi did more damage from the bottom than Mo did from the top.

My first clue was when Mo had to be held up by his corner after the fight with his face all ****ed up.

You apparently are still waiting for your first clue.

Nice excuse Mo. You actually did stick to your wrestling gameplan, and Feijao nullified it. It happens. Fill the holes in your game. The last thing anyone wants to see, is him fighting how he did against Mousasi the rest of his career.

Yes, he dominated positioning in that fight - but as others have pointed out, did almost ZERO damage. If that is what constitutes championship talent in MMA, then the sport still has decades to go before it can be taken seriously......

LMAO! Go watch the fight - please tell me what three rounds you think Mousasi won. Seriously' date=' I'm dying to know. No joke, please tell me what rounds you thought Lawal didn't win.

As for Mo, he'll be back. And yes, he'll likely work on taking down and controlling his opponent. Like it or not, wrestling is VERY VERY effective. If you are bored with it, I suggest a striking sport such as Kickboxing or regular Boxing might be more your style. I personally love both boxing and MMA, but for very different reasons...and one of the reasons I DO love MMA is that I grew up wrestling. I love that sport. I love seeing how incredibly effective it's proven to be.[/quote']

Good God I am tired of hearing that same ol lame assed response about wrestling.

The only thing that wrestling has proven to be effective at is manipulating the unified rules of MMA and the naivette of judges to secure point victories. How anyone can win a fight by landing fewer effective strikes and doing virtually zero damage is just beyond me.

Isn't it supposed to be about fighting? John Fitch would get his skull caved in in a street fight, as would Sonnen, King Mo, and so many more of the one dimensional wrestlers that are so successful in the UFC.

When a wrestler can win a fight by wrestling alone, not because he is a better fighter, but because he had a good grip, there is something terribly wrong with the way fights are scored and reffed.

Good God I am tired of hearing that same ol lame assed response about wrestling.

The only thing that wrestling has proven to be effective at is manipulating the unified rules of MMA and the naivette of judges to secure point victories. How anyone can win a fight by landing fewer effective strikes and doing virtually zero damage is just beyond me.

Isn't it supposed to be about fighting? John Fitch would get his skull caved in in a street fight' date=' as would Sonnen, King Mo, and so many more of the one dimensional wrestlers that are so successful in the UFC.

When a wrestler can win a fight by wrestling alone, not because he is a better fighter, but because he had a good grip, there is something terribly wrong with the way fights are scored and reffed.[/quote']

They'd get their skulls caved in!?!?! LOL. Oh man. Imagine being a similar size to Rampage, or Hughes, or Sonnen and meeting up with them in a "street fight". Just imagine how hard that takedown hits on concrete. Let's see how tired you get when they are in top position for as long as they want to be, let's see how frustrating it is for a typical street fighter to not be able to land a solid KO punch because the wrestler has actually avoided it. How many times have you watched a street fight and the guy on the bottom ends up winning??? Most street fighters swing for the fences, or wrestle/trip for top position...How did street fighter Kimbo Slice fair against anyone with talent??

Archived