Paul Daley vs Nick f

Cosmicjewzombie

The news of Paul Daley's signing with Strikeforce may have been a bit premature, but that's not to say he won't end up there after his bout on Saturday night in Shark Fights where he faces Jorge Masvidal.

Appearing on MMAWeekly Radio Thursday night, Daley says that there have been talks with Strikeforce, and he hopes to make an announcement about his next deal shortly after Saturday's fight.

The opportunities for Daley are plentiful, and as a top ten welterweight there are always going to be challenges for him in any organization. One particular fight that interests the British bomber is a potential Strikeforce welterweight title shot against reigning champion Nick Diaz.

Daley has never been short on words for any opponent, but in Diaz he sees someone he respects tremendously, and he considers himself a fan. Still, he knows if the two of them end up in the cage together it would be fireworks.

"Nick Diaz ? great fighter. It took me a while to come round to it. As a person people say he's a bit of a (expletive), that sort of stuff, but as a fighter I'm a huge Nick Diaz fan," Daley said. "A lot of people say stuff about his boxing and everything, I think he's a fantastic boxer. He's one of my favorite fighters at the moment."

Diaz is currently awaiting his first official title defense as Strikeforce champion when he faces K.J. Noons on Oct. 9 in San Jose, Calif. Daley believes Diaz will still be holding his belt after that night, and also confesses he's not much of a fan of Noons.

"K.J. Noons, I wouldn't say he's one of my favorite fighters. I don't think too much of him, and I think Nick Diaz should put him away pretty easily," Daley commented.

Since exiting the UFC, Daley's biggest hope has been to find the biggest fights against the toughest opponents. He says Diaz is exactly that type of fighter, and he hopes the match-up can be put together.

"We'll see where I'm at because I'd love to fight Nick Diaz," Daley said. "Outside of the UFC, he's probably the biggest name out there, most highly rated. I think he's a badass, and I want to test myself."

Rocketing into the top ten after blasting Martin Kampmann and Dustin Hazelett in back-to-back fights, Daley has earned his spot among the best welterweights in the world. A fight against Diaz would be another big test for Daley, and he welcomes the chance.

"I'm looking for fights that are going to motivate me. I'm not short of motivation because I love fighting, but I'm looking for something that will give me that extra intensity, and make me want to lock myself away and make me want to give 110 percent in everything that I'm doing. I think Nick Diaz would be a great fight for me," Daley stated.

"If that could happen at some point in the future, I'd really look forward to it."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12563&zoneid=13

Daley vs Diaz would be a great fight. Daley has the better stand up but Diaz has a huge advantage in BJJ. However it would be a great fight because Nicks wrestling is decent but not great and Daley would be able to stuff a lot of his TD's.

IMO it is a fight that could go either way and would be extremely exciting. Diaz has the advantage though as he has more ways to win.

Daley vs Diaz would be a great fight. Daley has the better stand up but Diaz has a huge advantage in BJJ. However it would be a great fight because Nicks wrestling is decent but not great and Daley would be able to stuff a lot of his TD's.

IMO it is a fight that could go either way and would be extremely exciting. Diaz has the advantage though as he has more ways to win.

Diaz or Daley. I'm not a serious fan of either, however I would definitely watch that match. :)

This would be a great match-up. Id be interested to see what Diaz's game plan would be for this fight. Would he try and stand and trade for a while or would he close the gap right away and look for a takedown. This would probably be the most exciting WW fight I could think of besides maybe Hardy vs. Alves.

Strikeforce is not a joke' date=' they have lots of great fighters but they don't know how to market well. If you think they only have 3 good fighters then idk what to tell you, good day sir.[/quote']

I lol'd, nice try fanboi.

What Daley meant to say is "Id love to sucker punch Diaz after he beats me worst than Koscheck did!"

Archived