How did Brock get a title shot?

green17

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ <<< For that

Every 1 will have their opinion and take on it, but I believe it was because he was / is more famous than any other MMA star, even Chuck at the time! He came in to the UFC already globally known not because of being a mix martial artist, but for his days in the WWE. It would have sold thousands and thousands of PPV buys from new 'fans' and that, in the end is why he was given the Randy fight so quick, IMO.

He was also 'thrown in at the deep end' against Couture, a super star veteran but as much as people hate Brock, or think the shot was too early (especially some of the other heavyweight fighters I bet) he did actually win!!

Was this around the time that the UFC were trying to sign Fedor to face him against Couture also ?

All of the above, as well as, the fact that Couture had left to do a movie and some contract issues with DW. DW then went and scheduled an Interim fight between Mir and Big Nog. However Randy was forced to come back before the Interim Fight and the only other top name was Brock at the time.

Anderson Sliva, Matt Hughes, Penn, and a lot of others have had less than 3 UFC fights before getting their title shot. its about drawing power, hence Fitch and Maynard having to wait.

In a nut shell

Couture was #1, he was out with business

Sylvia and Nog battled for interim title, #2&3

Mir got winner of that match #4

Lesnar was on a (1) win streak, and the heavyweight division was awfully shallow, so Brock could somehow be #5 and get a title shot, just keep in mind there was an interim title out there the real belt didn't mean as much as it normally does.

Money has a lot to do with it too, but as far as ranking goes it is somewhat understandable

Brock got the shot because Randy wanted a challenge' date=' He wanted Fedor, I remember the interviews. He was hand picked by Randy.....................oh yeah and the ratings!![/quote']

This. Brock was (is) DW's prized possession. Randy Couture wanted to fight Brock, so DW couldn't have been happier to make the fight. Huge ratings, PPV buys, and he gets to see Brock as Heavyweight Champion

again with this crap from forever ago....a week ago, it was "the lesnar carwin fight should have been stopped". now this? c'mon guys get over it. yea we all know it was ridiculous for him to get a shot so soon, but he won, and hes still champ, and thats really all there is to it

ye its mostly due to the money i guess, but pride did this a lot back in the day not because of money but because it would make good fights, you can earn a title shot without being able to beat several others in the division, even without putting a solid win streak together because even if you loose a no1 contendership fight lets say, they used to still put them in against the champions a couple fights later, just to make good fights imo. i think to much hype is put in no 1 contenders these days, i say let em all fight each other.

also in a lot of weight divisions there are a lot of 1 dimensional fighters ( especialy boxers/muay tai) who could never win a title shot because of there lack of wrestling ability say, it would still make a great fight if they fought a champion that in most of there bouts stands up as well, but the sport is too far past pure entertainment matches and focuses on rankings

Archived