IS Matt Hughes back or was he lucky?

MachidaPwned

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Almeida looked like he was going to impose a solid striking box vs Matt Hughes and just happened to get caught and now he is riding a comeback win and going up vs BJ Penn. I think Penn will hand him his **** but Hughes has been known to have alot of power in wrestling and wild hooks/kicks.

I will hold my judgement to see if he beats BJ, but i do think he will beat BJ cause he has a hard time against wrestlers an Hughes is a beast of a wrestler, plus BJ's cardio sucks an Matts is one of the best in mma, he proved it the last time they foughtm Matt out worked em an BJ totally gast.

Hughes in his last 6 fights has beat one relevant WW in Almeida

True enough.

But he was a top-ranked fighter for a long, long time. Losing to Georges, and an over-weight Alves, shouldn't drop somebody out of the top-10.

There are other people, who I won't mention, that have managed to keep their high rankings without defeating anybody relevant. Why should Hughes be any different?

True enough.

But he was a top-ranked fighter for a long' date=' long time. Losing to Georges, and an over-weight Alves, shouldn't drop somebody out of the top-10.

There are other people, who I won't mention, that have managed to keep their high rankings without defeating anybody relevant. Why should Hughes be any different?[/quote']

You-know-who simply has a lack of competition at HW. There's only a handful of legitimate HW's out there and he beat the majority of them.

There are a ton of legitimate WW's for Hughes to fight, instead he took on Gracies who were well out of their prime, 2 glorified LW's and Ricardo Almeida.

Here's my opinion, both UFC and Hughes know he's irrevelant in the WW picture so they just put him in against guys that would make a good draw for him, like serra or renzo or royce.

True enough.

But he was a top-ranked fighter for a long' date=' long time. Losing to Georges, and an over-weight Alves, shouldn't drop somebody out of the top-10.

There are other people, who I won't mention, that have managed to keep their high rankings without defeating anybody relevant. Why should Hughes be any different?[/quote']

Agreed. Technically, Matt has only lost to GSP in the WW division over the last few years (The Alves fight was catch-weight and Hughes never turns down a fight). I do not think that is bad in my book. I know that he went on a dry spell of not fighting very much but whether you think his recent competition was good or not, I do not think he ever truly fell out of the top ten. That's my opinion but I - unfortunately - do not want to see him get picked apart by GSP again. I wouldn't mind seeing Hughes fight for the title if it was against someone else.

You-know-who simply has a lack of competition at HW. There's only a handful of legitimate HW's out there and he beat the majority of them.

There are a ton of legitimate WW's for Hughes to fight' date=' instead he took on Gracies who were well out of their prime, 2 glorified LW's and Ricardo Almeida.

Here's my opinion, both UFC and Hughes know he's irrevelant in the WW picture so they just put him in against guys that would make a good draw for him, like serra or renzo or royce.[/quote']

What makes you think I was talking about 'HIM'? :P

Jon Fitch, the proverbial #2 WW for the last eternity, hasn't exactly been fighting a who's-who of the WW division, either. He hasn't finished a fight since he choked out Roan Carneiro in June 2007. Hughes, on the other hand, has at least finished his last two fights.

Here's my opinion' date=' both UFC and Hughes know he's irrevelant in the WW picture so they just put him in against guys that would make a good draw for him, like serra or renzo or royce.[/quote']

Irrelevant?? Hughes helped build the UFC to where it is today.

and as far as the Gracies they all came after an challenged Hughes, he never backs down from a fight.

Irrelevant?? Hughes helped build the UFC to where it is today.

and as far as the Gracies they all came after an challenged Hughes' date=' he never backs down from a fight.[/quote']

As long as Georges has the title, Hughes (and most everyone else), is irrelevant in the title picture.

As long as Georges has the title' date=' Hughes (and most everyone else), is irrelevant in the title picture.[/quote']

It's not even GSP. As long as the top 3 remain Kos/Fitch/GSP, Hughes will be irrelevant. They are all bigger, stronger, younger fighters that have better wrestling, better ground and better striking then Hughes. All Hughes is now is a gatekeeper for contenders. You beat Hughes and you can step up to compete with the top 5

What makes you think I was talking about 'HIM'? :P

Jon Fitch' date=' the proverbial #2 WW for the last eternity, hasn't exactly been fighting a who's-who of the WW division, either. He hasn't finished a fight since he choked out Roan Carneiro in June 2007. Hughes, on the other hand, has at least finished his last two fights.[/quote']

Fitch has basically cleaned out the WW division lol. Some of his recent fights have been step in fighters aswell with Alves not being able to fight so he wouldn't get a top 5 WW on short notice.

Lets look at Matt's losses..

He was outwrestled by GSP... as was every other contender:rolleyes:

He couldnt get Thiago Alves down. Alves was on a roll at the time, not even Josh Koscheck could get Alves down. As you would expect, Hughes was KO'd by Alves on the feet.

So, he has only lost to the best, but then again... Serra and Renzo arent top level opponents.

To be honest.. i think 8/10 times Ricardo Almeida beats Matt Hughes, but no doubt that Matt won fair and square.

I think the Penn fight will be decided by how Penn comes to fight. If he comes out of shape like the BJ that Matt already beat, then i think Hughes will take it... if Penn shows up in shape and motivated, then he will destroy Hughes

It's not even GSP. As long as the top 3 remain Kos/Fitch/GSP' date=' Hughes will be irrelevant. They are all bigger, stronger, younger fighters that have better wrestling, better ground and better striking then Hughes. All Hughes is now is a gatekeeper for contenders. You beat Hughes and you can step up to compete with the top 5[/quote']

I can agree with this, though I'm not sure why the UFC hasn't made a Hughes vs Koscheck or a Hughes vs Fitch fight happen yet.

So if the top-4 are GSP, Fitch, Koscheck and Alves... who is number 5? ;)

I can agree with this' date=' though I'm not sure why the UFC hasn't made a Hughes vs Koscheck or a Hughes vs Fitch fight happen yet.

So if the top-4 are GSP, Fitch, Koscheck and Alves... who is number 5? ;)[/quote']

I vaguely remember something about him not wanting to fight the guys from AKA.

I vaguely remember something about him not wanting to fight the guys from AKA.

Now that you mention it, I think I recall him saying something like those fights 'did nothing for him'.. or something to that extent. He felt like they were below him in the rankings.

Maybe that was just his way of ducking them without coming off as a b*tch.

I can agree with this' date=' though I'm not sure why the UFC hasn't made a Hughes vs Koscheck or a Hughes vs Fitch fight happen yet.

So if the top-4 are GSP, Fitch, Koscheck and Alves... who is number 5? ;)[/quote']

Truth be told, I think Dana's kinda keeping Koscheck and Fitch away from Hughes because IMO Hughes would dominate these guys. He has better wrestling than both those guys and he would definitely impose his will on them. And I don't even like Hughes, but I still think he'd tool Kos and Fitch. I think if he wins the Penn fight he'll take on the loser GSP/Kos and if he wins that, they'll probably give him a number one contender fight against say maybe...Lytle if he can get some wins under his belt. Again just my opinion.

and wins over unrelevant fighters move you down. Gotta fight the best to stay on top.

If that's the case' date=' then there's no way that Fitch or Koscheck should be so highly ranked.

Fitch - Alves, [b']Saunders[/b], Pierce, Thiago, Gono

Kos - Daley, Johnson, Trigg

Bolded fighters are irrelevant, thus should move them DOWN the rankings.

Right? :P

If that's the case' date=' then there's no way that Fitch or Koscheck should be so highly ranked.

Fitch - Alves, [b']Saunders[/b], Pierce, Thiago, Gono

Kos - Daley, Johnson, Trigg

Bolded fighters are irrelevant, thus should move them DOWN the rankings.

Right? :P

Pierce is a stud. I think he's 2-0 or 3-0 after the fitch fight and really pushed fitch.

Saunders is legit except he has crappy wrestling

Gono- few people have stopped Gono and he's always legit

Rumble is dangerous but terrible cardio

Trigg does suck lol

and wins over unrelevant fighters move you down. Gotta fight the best to stay on top.

And you're the guy who puts Kos and Fitch over Hughes just because.

They haven't beaten Hughes with their super duper stand up games yet. And they sure as hell haven;t out wrestled him.

I kinda doubt either one of them could.

Maybe Fitch,

And you're the guy who puts Kos and Fitch over Hughes just because.

They haven't beaten Hughes with their super duper stand up games yet. And they sure as hell haven;t out wrestled him.

I kinda doubt either one of them could.

Maybe Fitch' date='[/quote']

Then why won't Hughes step up to fight them? Because Koscheck and Fitch have called out Hughes MANY times over.

Then why won't Hughes step up to fight them? Because Koscheck and Fitch have called out Hughes MANY times over.

Ask Dana. He makes the fights - not Matt Hughes.

I will agree that GSP is too muh for Hughes. And Alves to. But neither Fitch or Kos have anything to beat Hughes with. Especially Koscheck.

I put the Ufc WW div like this:

1. Jake Shields

2. GSP

3. no one special.

I will agree that GSP is too muh for Hughes. And Alves to. But neither Fitch or Kos have anything to beat Hughes with. Especially Koscheck.

1. Jake Shields

2. GSP

3. no one special.

LOL!

Whatever points you were trying to make, are now irrelevant.

Speaking of which..

You ignoring my PM?

1. Jake Shields

2. GSP

3. no one special.

where do you see any glimpse of hope from Hughes with Kos and Fitch? They are able to at least last the distance against GSP with some shimmer of offense. Hughes can't even last a 3 round fight with GSP much less a 5 round fight.

where do you see any glimpse of hope from Hughes with Kos and Fitch? They are able to at least last the distance against GSP with some shimmer of offense. Hughes can't even last a 3 round fight with GSP much less a 5 round fight.

Not seeing that as definitive proof of anything.

I would love to see Fitch Hughes.

I don;t think Koscheck/Hughes is much of a fight.

Hughes by total domination.

I would never rule out a motivated matt hughes for a run at the title however i have to agree with the majority and say that hell be beaten by the top 3 however on any given day (such as the almeida fight) he could beat any one of them' date=' guys a legend[/quote']

Agree.

These people putting Koscheck up with Hughes are annoying.

WTF has Koscheck EVER beat?

I will hold my judgement to see if he beats BJ' date=' but i do think he will beat BJ cause he has a hard time against wrestlers an Hughes is a beast of a wrestler, plus BJ's cardio sucks an Matts is one of the best in mma, he proved it the last time they foughtm Matt out worked em an BJ totally gast.[/quote']

I would be very shocked if he beat BJ. I do not think he has the ability anymore to take BJ down. I see BJ totally dominating the stand-up.

Hughes wasn't lucky. He caught somebody in an exchange. He has been training in striking for years' date=' I would hate to call that luck. When you practice at something everyday for years, and then it works, that skill. Not luck. He will lose to BJ though. BJ will just be too much for him now.[/quote']

Luck is exactly what you call it. Hughes isnt known for striking vs. strikers + He was fighting someone who came in with a striking plan + this fight was considered an upset by many critics. Almeida losing was a small shock.

I do believe Hughes would destroy Fitch.

Luck is exactly what you call it. Hughes isnt known for striking vs. strikers + He was fighting someone who came in with a striking plan + this fight was considered an upset by many critics. Almeida losing was a small shock.

I do believe Hughes would destroy Fitch.

Did you just call Almeida a striker?

1. Jake Shields

2. GSP

3. no one special.

Lmao! Is this a troll post or are you actually serious??

There are a ton of legitimate WW's for Hughes to fight' date=' instead he took on Gracies who were well out of their prime, 2 glorified LW's and Ricardo Almeida.

Here's my opinion, both UFC and Hughes know he's irrevelant in the WW picture so they just put him in against guys that would make a good draw for him, like serra or renzo or royce.[/quote']

This must also be the reason for another Hughes vs Penn fight. Just the draw. There is no purpose in it.. Does anyone know the reason for this fight, I was surprised when I heard about it.. I was also surprised Penn is going to ww.. I thought Dana said you had to clean out a division before you move..

Hughes will never be a top 5 fighter again.

Agreed i dont even consider him top 10. I mean Almeida wasn't near the top of the division. Hughes fans are harboring false hope that hes back. But in reality he beat a few second rate fighters, thats all Hughes will get finished by Penn and then threads will all appear will Matt Hughes retire?, or was Hughes age a factor mark my words.

I definetly think that Hughes is improving as an MMA fighter. Especially in the stand up aspect. But he still doesn't have what it takes to beat GSP. I mean he's improved yeah, but GSP has improved tenfold since they're third meeting. Hughes' standup is still pretty slow and sloppy in comparison to some of the other WW's in the division.

I also don't think he'll beat BJ this time. As BJ has improved in his cardio vastly. So I think once he losses to BJ he'll either contemplate retiring or dropping down to 155.

Archived