I didn't know cain was mexican!!!!

Beyond_the_Grave

Seriously for anyone who couldn't tell by his last name, his "Brown Pride" tattoo, and his obvious hispanic traits then watch primetime and/or the previews for UFC 121. I actually counted how many times Mexican was said in the past primetimes and preview I ended up with about 20 give or take. I understand that UFC is trying to hype the fight, but Jesus Christ!!!! I think its becoming a racial war more than a damn HW title fight. Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but being of Hispanic decent (Mexican, lol) its kinda making me sad that they're not promoting the fight as two great fighters going to war, but instead its like the beaner vs the honky. COME ON SON!!!! To me its just Lesnar vs. Velasquez and its gonna b a war that I see Cain winning by UD. Now don't flame for my fight prediction or my rant, I just want a friendly discussion about this and wondering if anyone feels the same. Anyway WAR VELASQUEZ!!!!!!!!!

I think the constant usage of the word "mexican" is based off of a marketing strategy. I doubt that the UFC is trying to wage a race war. They are probably just trying to market a mexican fighter forr the draw. I actually think its somewhat healthy for the company. I would compare it to a Bisping and UK type school of thought. They have generated huge revenues from the UK strongly based behind Bisping. Mexico is next. And I am sure the mexican drug regimes would sanction the UFC ha.

Seriously for anyone who couldn't tell by his last name' date=' his "Brown Pride" tattoo, and his obvious hispanic traits then watch primetime and/or the previews for UFC 121. I actually counted how many times Mexican was said in the past primetimes and preview I ended up with about 20 give or take. I understand that UFC is trying to hype the fight, but Jesus Christ!!!! I think its becoming a racial war more than a damn HW title fight. Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but being of Hispanic decent (Mexican, lol) its kinda making me sad that they're not promoting the fight as two great fighters going to war, but instead its like the beaner vs the honky. COME ON SON!!!! To me its just Lesnar vs. Velasquez and its gonna b a war that I see Cain winning by UD. Now don't flame for my fight prediction or my rant, I just want a friendly discussion about this and wondering if anyone feels the same. Anyway WAR VELASQUEZ!!!!!!!!![/quote']

Shut up and go make me a taco.

I think the constant usage of the word "mexican" is based off of a marketing strategy.

I think it is good for both Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and the UFC. The more fans we have, the better the fights will get. Also, Mexico gave us some badass boxers in the past. Hopefully this will make MMA more popular down there and we will get some great fighters out of this in the long haul.

I think the constant usage of the word "mexican" is based off of a marketing strategy. I doubt that the UFC is trying to wage a race war. They are probably just trying to market a mexican fighter forr the draw. I actually think its somewhat healthy for the company. I would compare it to a Bisping and UK type school of thought. They have generated huge revenues from the UK strongly based behind Bisping. Mexico is next. And I am sure the mexican drug regimes would sanction the UFC ha.

BLOOD IN BLOOD OUT holmes

its just a marketing strategy. The ufc is trying to expand outside the united states and get more fans. The hispanic community is huge and having a mexican / latino fighter is a plus.

I dont even think cain has a choice, he was probably force to repeately say he was mexican and stuff. I m not saying he is not proud or anything like that ,, but i highly doubt cain would ve put that much emphasis to the fact that he is mexican. Just because everyone knows it

I think its good business for the ufc , they will get more viewers and new fans . A lot of boxing promoters must be piss , because the latino community is well known for supporting boxing ...

I think it is good for both Mexicans' date=' Mexican Americans, and the UFC. The more fans we have, the better the fights will get. Also, Mexico gave us some badass boxers in the past. Hopefully this will make MMA more popular down there and we will get some great fighters out of this in the long haul.[/quote']

I don't mind the publicity for the Mexican culture and fighters and what not. I hope that more hispanic fighters step up and compete, its just that I feel that UFC is using it as a marketing ploy and it bothers me a lil because I feel like they're being ****d out. Again, I'm probably just looking into it too much, its just how I feel.

its just a marketing strategy. The ufc is trying to expand outside the united states and get more fans. The hispanic community is huge and having a mexican / latino fighter is a plus.

I dont even think cain has a choice' date=' he was probably force to repeately say he was mexican and stuff. I m not saying he is not proud or anything like that ,, but i highly doubt cain would ve put that much emphasis to the fact that he is mexican. Just because everyone knows it

I think its good business for the ufc , they will get more viewers and new fans . A lot of boxing promoters must be piss , because the latino community is well known for supporting boxing ...[/quote']

again I agree in a sense I just feel he's kinda being ****d out a little, although I have no problem with him being you know a model for hispanics to look up to instead of other alternatives...

2cgo68njpg.gif

Seriously for anyone who couldn't tell by his last name' date=' his "Brown Pride" tattoo, and his obvious hispanic traits then watch primetime and/or the previews for UFC 121. I actually counted how many times Mexican was said in the past primetimes and preview I ended up with about 20 give or take. I understand that UFC is trying to hype the fight, but Jesus Christ!!!! I think its becoming a racial war more than a damn HW title fight. Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but being of Hispanic decent (Mexican, lol) its kinda making me sad that they're not promoting the fight as two great fighters going to war, but instead its like the beaner vs the honky. COME ON SON!!!! To me its just Lesnar vs. Velasquez and its gonna b a war that I see Cain winning by UD. Now don't flame for my fight prediction or my rant, I just want a friendly discussion about this and wondering if anyone feels the same. Anyway WAR VELASQUEZ!!!!!!!!![/quote']

They want to attract Mexican fans to the UFC. It's like what they did with Bisping and the UK.

Reading this thread all I have to say is folks on this forums need to stop being so racist.

I assume some of it is meant as a joke, but seriously if you are considered an adult however that term is defined in your world than please act like it.

If you are still a kid than I just hope maturity comes soon because I do understand when you are young you say whatever you feel unfiltered (more often than not)

I DON'T GIVE A **** WHAT HE IS I'M F'ING TIRED OF "There's never been a mexican heavyweight champion". Like my buddy said last night' date=' there's never been an Indian HW champion either who the f cares.[/quote']

They also said he'd be the first latino champ in UFC history. I guess Big Nog and Silva don't count.

Reading this thread all I have to say is folks on this forums need to stop being so racist.

I assume some of it is meant as a joke' date=' but seriously if you are considered an adult however that term is defined in your world than please act like it.

If you are still a kid than I just hope maturity comes soon because I do understand when you are young you say whatever you feel unfiltered (more often than not)[/quote']

Just because race is brought up it doesn't mean he's racist. And maturity isn't refusing to discuss contraversial topics, it's being able to handle discussing contraversial topics.

Kinda irritating only because Cain isn't even "Mexican" in the most basic sense, he was born in the US. That's largely why it doesn't seem weird when someone is promoted as "Brazilian fighter blah blah" because they are in fact from Brazil. If Cain were a Mexican citizen fighting in the UFC then it wouldn't be particularly odd, though it would obviously still be overhyping his nationality.

I guarantee that the commercials are working, Mexicans are very supportive of other mexicans and group together, they will buy this fight in large numbers to support beaner pride.

Hopefully they can take over the UFC too like the local pool halls, bars, public parks, public swimming pools, grocery stores, cici's pizza, etc....

They also said he'd be the first latino champ in UFC history. I guess Big Nog and Silva don't count.

.....which is part of my frustration.

Again, the point is who gives a chit who is who and what they are. These guys are fighters let them fight. For god sakes in America any more we all have a part of some other ethnicity in us anyway it seems so what the hell is the big deal to say "i'm alien and proud". Good for you. My name is Nick and i'm proud of the name Nick but I'm not so stupid as to get a tatoo of "Nick Pride" written across my chest. (two cents smiley)

.....which is part of my frustration.

Again' date=' the point is who gives a chit who is who and what they are. These guys are fighters let them fight. For god sakes in America any more we all have a part of some other ethnicity in us anyway it seems so what the hell is the big deal to say "i'm alien and proud". Good for you. My name is Nick and i'm proud of the name Nick but I'm not so stupid as to get a tatoo of "Nick Pride" written across my chest. (two cents smiley)[/quote']

Shortsighted as always dewd.

I DON'T GIVE A **** WHAT HE IS I'M F'ING TIRED OF "There's never been a mexican heavyweight champion". Like my buddy said last night' date=' there's never been an Indian HW champion either who the f cares.[/quote']

Mexico has a long history in combat sports, especially boxing. However, given the fact that Mexicans tend to be a bit smaller than other people, their champions have always been in smaller weight classes. Since HW is the weight class that gets all the prestige and glory, the one thing Mexican boxing fans have always wanted is a HW champ. This is a very smart marketing campaign in terms of expanding the UFC's reach into Latino communities as well as Mexico itself.

Shut up and go make me a taco.

I didn't know cain was mexican!!!!

HAvent you seen the way he climbs over the fence to get in the cage...its a dead give away.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care if you call me a racist or not, but I despise ILLEGAL immigrants...I don't care if they came from Mexico, Canada, or anywhere else. If you took the steps to enter our great nation legally, then I wish you the best of luck. If you snuck in, I'd just as soon kick your *** and burn your house down. It's a pretty good bet that Velasquez's parents are illegals.

I was also annoyed by the fact that his dad was interviewed by Spike....and though he's lived in the US for well over 20 yrs, he has yet to learn english. Awesome.

Someone commented about how they hate that Cain was born here, educated here, trains here, etc....yet shows no appreciation for the place that provided him this lifestyle. I couldn't agree more. I happen to be a Lesnar fan, but it wouldn't matter if Velasquez was fighting Chuck E Cheese.....I just want him to get thrashed based on principle....and Brock is the one for the job.

Archived