Pat Barry vs Shane Carwin?

LesforPrez

Ive been thinking... i know shane wants to fight right at the beginning of 2011 but has yet to name an opponent. Ive been speculating on the best opponent and barry seems a great choice. For one he was training with lesnar (either to improve lesnars striking or maybe he is training for a big wrestler and wanted a guy like lesnar to simulate that for him) so if he could really improve his sprawl, then i think he could stand with carwin. Not to mention carwin would probly wanna test his standup against barry anyways. I think it would be a great matchup bcuz if barry could improve his takedown defense i think he is a top 10 ufc heavyweight, maybe top 5. Ignore the cro cop loss, barry through that fight away. The onlly other oponents for carwin would be nelson but hes having knee surgery, rothwell is also hurt, or maybe noguera but i think noguera vs mir 2 is a more intriguing match up then noguera vs carwin. Either way i hope this fight happens, what do u guys think???

as some posters have already said he is fighting nelson at 127, however Barry vs Carwin is an intersting matchup, as Barry has been training with Deathclutch his sprawl and ground game should have improved, in the stand up he is 1milllion times technicallly better than Carwin however if carwin lands on Barrys face he is out

well i see they are "trying' to confirm that fight but it isnt final yet. Well i dont think its a good fight cuz nelson has great ji-jitsu but will get crushed standing up. Either way i hope nelson isnt ready in time and barry fills in!

this fight has more title implications so will almost definitely happen, Barry is maybe 4-5 fights away from a title shot while Carwin is probably 2 and Nelson 3

this fight has more title implications so will almost definitely happen' date=' Barry is maybe 4-5 fights away from a title shot while Carwin is probably 2 and Nelson 3[/quote']

Ya ur probly right, i just dont like the roy nelson matchup. I really think carwin is at another level than roy standup wise. I just give roy much of a chance here.

BTW i do think it is plausible barry could catch carwin in the first round, barry is a scary dude lol no pun intedended.

Ya ur probly right' date=' i just dont like the roy nelson matchup. I really think carwin is at another level than roy standup wise. I just give roy much of a chance here.

BTW i do think it is plausible barry could catch carwin in the first round, barry is a scary dude lol no pun intedended.[/quote']

it is totally possible, Barry could throw a fight ending head kick but he has yet to show this scary striking in MMA, it is far more likely for Carwin to rush him and end the fight

Lawl' date=' no way Barry is KO/TKOing Carwin in rnd 1[/quote']

Lawl? And barry can stop anyone with those leg kicks, im not 100% sure as i dont know the future just saying...

you seriously think barry would beat carwin in round 1?

If he can land some leg kicks im sure he'll stop carwin, this ofcourse if carwin doesnt take him down.

Lawl? And barry can stop anyone with those leg kicks' date=' im not 100% sure as i dont know the future just saying...

If he can land some leg kicks im sure he'll stop carwin, this ofcourse if carwin doesnt take him down.[/quote']

yes LAWL!

and Barry is 2-2 in the UFC against poor competition (except for CC) if he cant beat Tim Hague with leg kicks he aint beating Carwin with leg kicks

Lawl? And barry can stop anyone with those leg kicks' date=' im not 100% sure as i dont know the future just saying...

If he can land some leg kicks im sure he'll stop carwin, this ofcourse if carwin doesnt take him down.[/quote']

dude wtf?

cro cop beat him , even when cop was out of his prime , carwin knocks everyone out in the 1st round and almost beat lesnar ,

their is no way in hell barry will tko him in the 1st round , if carwin can land 1 clean shot on pat's face it's over.

dude wtf?

cro cop beat him ' date=' even when cop was out of his prime , carwin knocks everyone out in the 1st round and almost beat lesnar ,

their is no way in hell barry will tko him in the 1st round , if carwin can land 1 clean shot on pat's face it's over.[/quote']

this..

I like barry, but he ain't ready for carwin..

either first round KO or he gets finished on the ground

People are seriously overrating Carwins standup these days.... The very idea that he could stand and trade with Barry is preposterous. He has the power, but Barry has far superior technique.

That said, I see carwin putting him on his back and GnPing for the finish... but he'd be very nervous on the feet. Napao was actually dominating their fight in the stand up until Carwin did what Carwin does and touched his face.. :) Mad power

A 239lb pure striker with little to zero ground game (pending further analysis after his time at DeathClutch) vs. a guy with average striking and way above average power and above average wrestling at 265lbs and athletic. I don't think the words good fight would apply to this match.

A 239lb pure striker with little to zero ground game (pending further analysis after his time at DeathClutch) vs. a guy with average striking and way above average power and above average wrestling at 265lbs and athletic. I don't think the words good fight would apply to this match.

This.

Let's be honest, if HD wants to compete, he needs to lose 20 lb and fight at 205. I know people will flame or call me a noob or whatever, but it's the truth. These days, you better walk around at 250+ if you want to compete in the HW division.

This.

Let's be honest' date=' if HD wants to compete, he needs to lose 20 lb and fight at 205. I know people will flame or call me a noob or whatever, but it's the truth. These days, you better walk around at 250+ if you want to compete in the HW division.[/quote']

Not just 250+ but a pretty athletic 250+. People discredit the bigger competitors all the time because they are big and "people" are small. You just don't see big athletic guys all the time as much as some people act like they are a dime a dozen.

For Barry to compete at HW he will have to learn a sprawl which is invincible and work speed drills until he's virtually unhittable/untouchable otherwise he's going to have to learn 20 years of ground game in 2 years or less which is unlikely to happen.

When you are a big athletic guy you can fight with less skill than other competitors but when you are the smaller fighter that's not the case. It's just life.

Not just 250+ but a pretty athletic 250+. People discredit the bigger competitors all the time because they are big and "people" are small. You just don't see big athletic guys all the time as much as some people act like they are a dime a dozen.

For Barry to compete at HW he will have to learn a sprawl which is invincible and work speed drills until he's virtually unhittable/untouchable otherwise he's going to have to learn 20 years of ground game in 2 years or less which is unlikely to happen.

When you are a big athletic guy you can fight with less skill than other competitors but when you are the smaller fighter that's not the case. It's just life.

ground game doesnt take 20 years to learn jeeze, BJ earned a BB in BJJ in a very short amount of time, now im not saying anyone can earn a BB in 3 years but it certainly doesnt take 20 years to be proficient on the ground

ground game doesnt take 20 years to learn jeeze' date=' BJ earned a BB in BJJ in a very short amount of time, now im not saying anyone can earn a BB in 3 years but it certainly doesnt take 20 years to be proficient on the ground[/quote']

For a 239 pound guy to outwork a 265 pound national champion wrester it's going to take more than three years. Perhaps 20 years is long but i'm trying to get across the point that at this time I don't see Barry picking up enough ground game to be successful against your Carwin/Lesnar types.

Archived