Things girls/girlfriends/wives say about MMA.

Technique

So I thought this would be interesting. Got the idea from the stupidest things people have said about MMA thread, but thought I would take it in a different direction.

My girlfriend knew nothing about the sport, so I figured I would educate her. Before I turned it on I explained the different aspects of MMA and she seemed intrigued (probably just for my benefit). I don't remember exactly which fights we were watching, but the first one started out as a pure grappling match. I was explaining the different positions and the benefits of each as they were transitioning. I was also trying to point to things and say watch this guys leg.. he's going to try to sneak it out and transition to side control etc... She didn't say much, but seemed to be enjoying it.

One of the fighters worked his way to the feet, and I explained how he was using the cage to stand-up and explained a little about the clinch. Once they broke and started slugging each other she turned to me and said:

"I dont like this part very much, I wish they would go back to the ground again"

I just turned to her and said: "Your Awesome".

I just found it interesting that someone new to the sport actually liked the ground game right off the bat. To me the people who don't enjoy it, just haven't been properly informed about the nuances of the ground game. There's so much going on and it's a constant struggle and sometimes that just has to be pointed out.

Now she watches the fights with me more often and still really enjoys the ground game and doesn't really like to see people get bloodied up... which is understandable. Oftentimes she's more vocal during the fights than I am.

Just curious what your experiences have been with trying to get your girlfriends/wives into MMA since the majority of this forum seems to be males.

Haha! Sounds like you are a lucky man.

I must say, I am a lucky man as well. When my girlfriend and I started dating, she watched MMA seldom. Over the years, she's learned a lot more than most of my friends know. And yes, as sad as it sounds, she even makes predictions and analyzes the fights better than a lot of people on the forum do. Now she's my MMA watching buddy, and I would much rather watch MMA with her than any of my guy friends. Crazy? I think not. I'm just extremely lucky.

My girl does not watch MMA with me unless she has nothing better to do. Most time she just has her face in a book. The only thing she says about MMA is "What there is another show.... dident you just watch one like a week ago" all I say is "yep sorry baby but I wont be able to hang out on that day." She hates it but I let her watch glee and dancing with the stars whenever she wants.

My girl does not watch MMA with me unless she has nothing better to do. Most time she just has her face in a book. The only thing she says about MMA is "What there is another show.... dident you just watch one like a week ago" all I say is "yep sorry baby but I wont be able to hang out on that day." She hates it but I let her watch glee and dancing with the stars whenever she wants.

You should tell her What another book? Didn't you just read one like last week? :D < Make sure you include that big grin too.

I guess Im one of the lucky ones my wife likes watching it and she's pretty knowledgable thanks too me. She doesn't like when it gets bloody though.

I remember another thread like this a while back that was something like "Funny things GF's/wives say about mma."

Some pretty hilarious quotes too I wish I could remember some of them.

Haha! Sounds like you are a lucky man.

I must say' date=' I am a lucky man as well. When my girlfriend and I started dating, she watched MMA seldom. Over the years, she's learned a lot more than most of my friends know. And yes, as sad as it sounds, she even makes predictions and analyzes the fights better than a lot of people on the forum do. Now she's my MMA watching buddy, and I would much rather watch MMA with her than any of my guy friends. Crazy? I think not. I'm just extremely lucky.[/quote']

Yeah I guess were both lucky in that sense because I think it's pretty rare. I still watch the big events with my guy friends, kind of a ritual of ours, but the WEC shows and the free UFC fights/some of TUF I watch with my GF. Not a bad deal I have worked out here.

It was the same way at first. I think most of the time they think it's barbaric and just meat heads having at each other and don't realize the skill it takes. Sometimes all they need is a little education and you might be surprised... I know I was.

Yeah I guess were both lucky in that sense because I think it's pretty rare. I still watch the big events with my guy friends' date=' kind of a ritual of ours, but the WEC shows and the free UFC fights/some of TUF I watch with my GF. Not a bad deal I have worked out here.[/quote']

It's the opposite for me. She gets just as excited as I do for the big events. Normally, I watch the big events with her. I'd rather watch them with her too. We usually watch all the events together, but every now and then she'll be busy so I'm kinda forced to watch MMA with the guys. Not that I don't enjoy watching it with them. As you said, it's kind of a ritual for my girlfriend and me.

I know a few chicks that know more about MMA than a lot of posters on this site lol

That's pretty sad considering they even signed up on the forum.

Archived