LOL @ Carwin vs. Nelson being official.

ThirstForBLOOD

The only thing I question in this fight is Carwin's chin which still isn't totally clear on its ability to take punishment. His offensive power is so good and his game plan is generally good though so who knows. Nelsons striking isn't very diverse and I feel Jackson's camp will have Carwin ready.

I'm not counting Nelson out but he's not got a big chance and I'd say much less chance than he did against JDS.

The alleged "KO" of Big Country by Arlovski was a clear early stoppage. He rocked him and Roy went down, but was never out, and was in fact on his way back to his feet when the ref stopped it.

Roy Nelson is alot tougher than most give him credit for. JDS beat him like a rented mule for 3 rds and he never went out even though he was visibly rocked several times.

Big Country is the Jake LaMatta of MMA.

Though Carwin should still win the fight, I wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up with Roy out grappling him for a decision. This is actually a very tough fight to call.

If he doesn't like a punch in the face he can just take Roy down and KO him there. This matchup favors Carwin so well.

Even though we have not seen it in the UFC, Nelson is a world class BJJ practitioner. I know he is fat and likes to eat cheeseburgers but he is a very good fighter. Personally, I believe that Carwin's size and power may be too much but Nelson is the new "Cabbage." You can beat on him all day and you might get a TKO; but not a KO. However, I would place my money on Carwin; I think he will improve his cardio and out power Nelson.

I think Big County can take this. Too many people overlook him cause of his belly.

Carwin was gassed in 1 round and submitted by Brock Lesnar.

Nelson went three rounds with Dos Santos and was not as gassed as Shane..AND Roy is a black belt in BJJ udner Renzo Gracie. Dude is a stud on the ground...and if it goes there, Shane is done.

he aint the raging bull. the raging bull wasnt a fat *** that need s to drop 2 weight classes.

Take a look at some old black and whites of Jake, not the rock hard picture Bobby DeNiro painted of him. He was a bit pudgy to say the least and fought at MW because he ws too lazy to get into shape for the lighter weights, where his stature and frame were more naturally suited.

I am taking nothing away from The Bull, he was one hell of a fighter. But he is one of those guys (like Nelson) who could have done much more had he had the drive and willpower to meet his personal physical potential.

he aint the raging bull. the raging bull wasnt a fat *** that need s to drop 2 weight classes.

Nobody is like the raging bull. That guy never went down in his career despite fighting robinson 6 times!

He was also on the receiving end of the st valentines day massacre and still didnt go down. (stopped on the ropes in the 13th).

Nobody like Lamotta in sport today but i think Big country has a chance.

He could sub Carwin.

I think Big County can take this. Too many people overlook him cause of his belly.

Carwin was gassed in 1 round and submitted by Brock Lesnar.

Nelson went three rounds with Dos Santos and was not as gassed as Shane..AND Roy is a black belt in BJJ udner Renzo Gracie. Dude is a stud on the ground...and if it goes there' date=' Shane is done.[/quote']

I am pretty sure that Carwin won't blow his load in the first round this time trying for the finish with the ref yelling in his ear for about 3 minutes "I'm gonna stop it, I'm gonna stop it..." and then never actually stop it.

There is a HUGE difference between that and simply "gassing out". Just to prove it, find any boxing gym and just stand there and throw punches with everything you have for 3 minutes and see if you even make it through the 3 minutes before collapsing in a heap. Add into that some grappling for position against a 280 lb man and it is pretty easy to see why Carwin had lactic acidosis. It takes more energy to throw punches than it does to turtle up with your arms over your face.

I am pretty sure that Carwin won't blow his load in the first round this time trying for the finish with the ref yelling in his ear for about 3 minutes "I'm gonna stop it' date=' I'm gonna stop it..." and then never actually stop it.

There is a HUGE difference between that and simply "gassing out". Just to prove it, find any boxing gym and just stand there and throw punches with everything you have for 3 minutes and see if you even make it through the 3 minutes before collapsing in a heap. Add into that some grappling for position against a 280 lb man and it is pretty easy to see why Carwin had lactic acidosis. It takes more energy to throw punches than it does to turtle up with your arms over your face.[/quote']

I box at a big gym and understand that.

but you said it yourself, he is 280lbs of muscle..while that has advantages, it also kills your cardio, no matter how good of shape you are in. if Roy can make him grapple or wear him down at all, he will have a HUGE advantage on the ground.

im not saying its a for sure win for Roy..it is gonna be a close fight... I just hate how so many uneducated and untrained fans talk so much **** about him because he isnt built like Carwin or Kongo....He is wellrounded, has a solid chin, good cardio, a beast on the mat and has heart..

I box at a big gym and understand that.

but you said it yourself' date=' he is 280lbs of muscle..while that has advantages, it also kills your cardio, no matter how good of shape you are in. if Roy can make him grapple or wear him down at all, he will have a HUGE advantage on the ground.

im not saying its a for sure win for Roy..it is gonna be a close fight... I just hate how so many uneducated and untrained fans talk so much **** about him because he isnt built like Carwin or Kongo....He is wellrounded, has a solid chin, good cardio, a beast on the mat and has heart..[/quote']

I totally agree...

Roy Nelson is alot tougher than most give him credit for. JDS beat him like a rented mule for 3 rds and he never went out even though he was visibly rocked several times.

Though Carwin should still win the fight' date=' I wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up with Roy out grappling him for a decision. This is actually a very tough fight to call.[/quote']

see?

Omg' date=' Roy is going to get killed. He's been KO'd by Arlovski before. Carwin hits quite a bit harder than Arlovski.

I got Carwin by KO in the 1st.[/quote']

em haha you need to remember Arlovski is perhaps the best fighter at HW using his hands

but i thought it was early

tough fight im backing Roy over Roids

I would give Roy the edge on the ground actually. Plus he punches very hard and is tough.

heh he might surprise a few people.

I remember hearing this before the fight with JDS, and we all know what happened there. Although I do have to give Roy credit, he showed great heart in that fight. Although JDS is the better/more technical striker, I think Carwin hits harder and will finish Roy.

Nelson was gassed after the 2nd round of nothing more than stand-up, without the threat of any takedowns or clinch game. He will not have the same luxory against Carwin. Carwin can knock him senseless, push him into the cage and knock him senseless, or take him down and knock him senselss. Roy has great BJJ, while Carwin has great wrestling, with his size, strength, and wrestling ability most likely eliminating any chance of a submission by Nelson.

I don't think Roy has any better cardio than Carwin, and even he does, it won't be a drastic amount that he can rely on to 'outlast' Carwin. This goes without mentioning that people are assuming Carwin has terrible cardio because he was gassed after what he did to Lesnar in the 1st, which was enough to gas any fighter. Carwin has stated multiple times that he has no problem going 3 rounds, or 5 rounds.

With all that being said, it's MMA, and anything could happen. Hoping for a good fight, but I don't see that being the case.

Omg' date=' Roy is going to get killed. He's been KO'd by Arlovski before. Carwin hits quite a bit harder than Arlovski.

I got Carwin by KO in the 1st.[/quote']

Arlovski has some of the best stand up skills in the game. Stoppage might have been early but there is no shame in losing to him.

If he doesn't like a punch in the face he can just take Roy down and KO him there. This matchup favors Carwin so well.

It's not going to be that easy to take Roy down.

they will both gas and sleep against the cage.

Possibly:D

You guys are sleeping on Big Country. He earned my complete respect when he fought JDS, who is just as good as Carwin because of his cardio. He took a beating against JDS, but he also got in a few good shots and kept coming forward. If Carwin doesn't jab, he's in trouble because Roy can do serious damage from in close. Then again, Carwin can too! I think this will actually be a pretty exciting fight as long as it doesn't go past the first or second round.

Whoever called them gassing and leaning on the cage for three rounds, I could see that too, but I hope you're wrong.

You guys say what you want about Big Country (I hated him on TUF as well), but the man surprises me every single fight. Carwin has more to lose, also.

Nelson was gassed after the 2nd round of nothing more than stand-up' date=' without the threat of any takedowns or clinch game. He will not have the same luxory against Carwin. Carwin can knock him senseless, push him into the cage and knock him senseless, or take him down and knock him senselss. Roy has great BJJ, while Carwin has great wrestling, with his size, strength, and wrestling ability most likely eliminating any chance of a submission by Nelson.

I don't think Roy has any better cardio than Carwin, and even he does, it won't be a drastic amount that he can rely on to 'outlast' Carwin. This goes without mentioning that people are assuming Carwin has terrible cardio because he was gassed after what he did to Lesnar in the 1st, which was enough to gas any fighter. Carwin has stated multiple times that he has no problem going 3 rounds, or 5 rounds.

With all that being said, it's MMA, and anything could happen. Hoping for a good fight, but I don't see that being the case.[/quote']

Roy went three rounds with JDS.

CArwin couldn;t do two rounds with Lesnar.

The guy has zero gas tank.

I will take CArwin early and Roy otherwise.

Roy went three rounds with JDS.

CArwin couldn;t do two rounds with Lesnar.

The guy has zero gas tank.

I will take CArwin early and Roy otherwise.

Roy went three rounds doing nothing more than exchanging with JDS.

Carwin dominated the Heavyweight Champion for an entire first round, throwing over 100 punches that leveled and caused Lesnar to curl up into the fetal position. Something no one else has ever done, or even came remotely close to. Carwin excerting that much energy and putting his muscles into shock really has no bearing on his gas tank, and how a normal fight would go.

People will doubt Carwin's cardio because of the Lesnar fight, I personally consider that a game plan error as opposed to Cardio/fitness error.

Roys, it is a simple fact you can't have exceptional cardio while carrying that gut around. It tires you out. That plus how tired he was in the JDS fight and what caused that? I saw no great reason for him to be soo tired.

I call Cardio even if not edge to Carwin.

I predict Carwin trying to do to ROy what he did to Mir, wall and dirty box. Knock Roy down and wave him up.

I think Carwin will walk away with this one, but Roy seems to make a career of being counted out then winning.

I think this fight will be hard on Roy as Carwin will probably try and avoid following him down and Roy has one hell of a chin so its going to take some time to get him inot a position that Carwin will feel happy to follow him down. I am not saying Carwin sucks on the ground or is even far of Roy in ground game but Roy wants this fight on the ground and as such Carwin should keep it standing as long as possible.

Roy went three rounds doing nothing more than exchanging with JDS.

Carwin dominated the Heavyweight Champion for an entire first round' date=' throwing over 100 punches that leveled and caused Lesnar to curl up into the fetal position. Something no one else has ever done, or even came remotely close to. Carwin excerting that much energy and putting his muscles into shock really has no bearing on his gas tank, and how a normal fight would go.[/quote']

The entire first round!!!!

BTW Mir subbed Lesnar. In case you forgot-

frank-mir.jpg

The alleged "KO" of Big Country by Arlovski was a clear early stoppage. He rocked him and Roy went down' date=' but was never out, and was in fact on his way back to his feet when the ref stopped it.

Big Country is the Jake LaMatta of MMA.

Though Carwin should still win the fight, I wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up with Roy out grappling him for a decision. This is actually a very tough fight to call.[/quote']

thank you, i laugh on the inside everytime someone says Carwin KTFO R1, im leaning toward Carwin but im not so sure he can take Nelson out early, and if he can't hes in big big trouble.

Nelson was gassed after the 2nd round of nothing more than stand-up' date=' without the threat of any takedowns or clinch game. He will not have the same luxory against Carwin. Carwin can knock him senseless, push him into the cage and knock him senseless, or take him down and knock him senselss. Roy has great BJJ, while Carwin has great wrestling, with his size, strength, and wrestling ability most likely eliminating any chance of a submission by Nelson.

With all that being said, it's MMA, and anything could happen. Hoping for a good fight, but I don't see that being the case.[/quote']

Well put. I also say that Carwins chin has been tested and i think its up to mark.

I think Roy is in for a long night. Or a very short one.

Carwin KO in the 1st or T(ko) Via some savage GnP.

According to fight metric Carwin landed (sorry edited) 50% more punches in the first round against Lesnar than Roy did in 3 rounds against JDS.

So 150% of the strikes in 33% of the time.

Meaning Carwin has 4.5 times the work rate.

This isn't the be and end all but worth mentioning I think.

According to fight metric Carwin landed (sorry edited) 50% more punches in the first round against Lesnar than Roy did in 3 rounds against JDS.

Oh and probably a more useful stat, Carwin threw (not just landed) a couple more in the first round than Roy did in the whole 3 round fight.

So on punches thrown slightly over 3 times the work rate for Carwin.

With this is mind I find it hard to give Roy and edge on cardio.

Oh and probably a more useful stat' date=' Carwin threw (not just landed) a couple more in the first round than Roy did in the whole 3 round fight.

So on punches thrown slightly over 3 times the work rate for Carwin.

With this is mind I find it hard to give Roy and edge on cardio.[/quote']

correct

That's radically useless info. Not only was that a lot more punches then are expected to be thrown in any normal round, but after Carwin threw all those punches he literally turned himself in to a vegetable.

At least Roy didn't get finished.

Both are coming off of losses and thereby have something to prove, both fight at or near the HW limit, and both have stand-up and ground games.

The winner takes one giant step forward, the loser winds up facing Stefan Struve on a free-per-view

The fight itself will rest on two things:

Nelson’s takedown ability and Nelson’s fightplan.

Carwin has serious wrestling cred, and I don’t like Nelson’s chances of getting the number 2 caveman in the UFC off of his feet and onto his back.

Rolling in a submission grappling tournament is one thing, getting a guy like Carwin off of his feet and into a hook position is quite another.

Fightplan and Octagon control are 2 facets of MMA that don’t get talked about a whole lot, but if this fight wee to be signed they would IMO be essential.

Now that Carwin’s cardio has been somewhat exposed, future opponents are going to be “Kalib Starnes’ing” their way thru the first 5 minutes of fights, in hopes of winding the caveman and catching him either with a strike or a sub.

Greg Jackson knows this, so I’d imagine he’d have Carwin working not just on improving his cardio, but on improving his Octagon control.

Opponents should not be allowed to bicycle around the cage, and a guy like Carwin should be working to cut the cage off, close distance, and either do his damage in close or on the mat.

Or both.

Nelson’s a fight veteran and knows the score, so I’d predict a very cerebral fight from these 2.

Right until the point that Carwin drags Nelson to the mat and silverbacks him into a brutal ref-stoppage…

Just my prediction

This is a highly interesting match up for me

Carwin is a beast, no two ways about it. He has insane punching power, and can pretty much stop anyone from taking him down. We?ve already seen people test his chin (Gonzaga) and i believe he?s a big favourite in this matchup and will be a huge step towards getting back on track to fighting brock again!(or cain! (or JDS)) :o

As for big country, lets not count the big lug out. In my opinion (disagree if you like) he?s the most underrated heavyweight in the ufc right now. The guy has a pretty decent level jujitsu (not saying he?s a Maia or anything) and he can throw bombs, people just discredit him due to his frame and shape

I think this will be a crazy match

I got big country second round by flying triangle

This is a highly interesting match up for me

Carwin is a beast' date=' no two ways about it. He has insane punching power, and can pretty much stop anyone from taking him down. We?ve already seen people test his chin (Gonzaga) and i believe he?s a big favourite in this matchup and will be a huge step towards getting back on track to fighting brock again!(or cain! (or JDS)) :o

As for big country, lets not count the big lug out. In my opinion (disagree if you like) he?s the most underrated heavyweight in the ufc right now. The guy has a pretty decent level jujitsu (not saying he?s a Maia or anything) and he can throw bombs, people just discredit him due to his frame and shape

I think this will be a crazy match

I got big country second round by flying triangle[/quote']

^this

Archived