Do you think that Shinya Aoki could dominate the UFC's Light Weight Division?

Raptor_45

After seeing Melendez easily handle him no. He would be competitive no doubt but not dominant. Like many Japanses fighters we have seen compete in the US, Aoki doesn't seem to cut much weight and he seems very outsized over here. I think he would do better at 145lb

Aoki looked better in his recent fight with Aurelio at Dream 16. While he didn't get the stoppage Aurelio has never been stopped in a fight so it's not surprising. Aoki's GnP looked much improved.

After seeing Melendez easily handle him no. He would be competitive no doubt but not dominant. Like many Japanses fighters we have seen compete in the US' date=' Aoki doesn't seem to cut much weight and he seems very outsized over here. I think he would do better at 145lb

Aoki looked better in his recent fight with Aurelio at Dream 16. While he didn't get the stoppage Aurelio has never been stopped in a fight so it's not surprising. [b']Aoki's GnP looked much improved[/b].

The problem is getting somebody down.

He would likely never be able to get anybody at the top of the UFC's LW division, down to the mat.

it would be really interesting to see Aoki in the UFC since the guys at the top could be stylistically good match ups for him... I could see him beating guys like Maynard and Edgar with his stellar BJJ' date=' but guys like Diaz and Penn, I couldn't see him beating...[/quote']

Maynard and Edgar would beat the crap out of him.

There are no good match-ups for Aoki in the UFC.

I will add this..

Aoki has been extremely overrated for a long, long time.

Ranking Melendez so high because of a victory over him, is absurd.

it would be really interesting to see aoki in the ufc since the guys at the top could be stylistically good match ups for him... I could see him beating guys like maynard and edgar with his stellar bjj' date=' but guys like diaz and penn, i couldn't see him beating...[/quote']maynard & edgar would destroy him & toss him around like its nothing.

it would be really interesting to see Aoki in the UFC since the guys at the top could be stylistically good match ups for him... I could see him beating guys like Maynard and Edgar with his stellar BJJ' date=' but guys like Diaz and Penn, I couldn't see him beating...[/quote']

well iMO he would get smashed by Maynard , beaten by Edgar. Picked apart by Diaz and penn would more than likely knock him out

i honestly think he relys on his tights too much for keeping grip!

when he faced Melendez he could hardly get a grip at all struggled with it really bad

as i said good sub defence and good wrestling defence Aoki would have a real tough time unless somebody trys to beat him in his element which would be stupid

Maynard and Edgar would beat the crap out of him.

There are no good match-ups for Aoki in the UFC.

I will add this..

Aoki has been extremely overrated for a long' date=' long time.

Ranking Melendez so high because of a victory over him, is absurd.[/quote']

Exactly, i agree 100%. Sadly this is the case for most asian fighters.

I would never underestimate what Aoki could do off his back... and I'd give credit to Edgar that if he kept the fight standing, Aoki would probably lose a decision, but if Maynard or Edgar wanted to wrestle Aoki, I could see either one ending in triangle or armbar... Penn and Diaz are a bit different since they are better known for their BJJ, but either way, I could see Aoki pulling out the upset, even despite the Melendez loss...

Archived