The Book Of KFM

KungFuMaster

Chapter 1, The Strand

“Hurry up, Aubree, we're running late!”

“Alright, Dad.”

“If you're ready, go to the car and don't forget your back pack.”

“OK.”

“Come on, Nana, let's go.”

The father picked up his little girl, Charlotte in which he calls her, Nana and took her to the car and put her in her car seat. He scrambled as he quickly tried to wipe down his blue Toyota Corolla as it was covered with the morning dew.

As the father and his kids approached a corner house down the road, his oldest daughter, Aubree, would always point out the tree-house inside the gates of the house and express how she would love to have a tree house of her own.

“When are you going to build me a tree house, Dad?”

“Oh, Sweety, we are moving in a few months. If I build you a tree house now, we would have to tear it down when we move to another place. I promise I will build you a tree house when we move to another house, OK.”

“OK.”

The family made their way to the front of Birney Elementary School.

“OK, sweety, we are late so I’m just going to drop you off.”

“Alright, Dad.”

The father looked on as his daughter trotted off and as soon as she entered the gates of the school, the father smiled and drove off.

“Are you ready to go to school, Nana?”

Charlotte has developmental delay. She is four but can hardly communicate any of her thoughts. She attends another nearby school which has a Special Ed program. As the father makes his way to Muir Elementary School where Charlotte attends, he would constantly look back to make sure she was doing fine. He would sing or put on her favorite songs while driving her to school.

As they reached the school, the father parked the car and took his daughter out of her car seat. He would walk her to class and what should be a two minute walk usually turns into a 5 minute walk as Charlotte would always stop to point out the pigeons. She would then leave her father's side and go hide behind a tree until he finds her. Next, she would go and sit on the bench stationed by the walk-way until her dad pries her off of it. Every day when Charlotte goes to school, the two would re-enact these events.

“We are here, Nana. Come on, hang your back pack up,” the father ushers as he opens the classroom door.

As he drops off his daughter, he says, “Good bye, Nana. I love you,” and kisses her and makes sure the teachers know he is leaving before he leaves.

The father continues his day as he drives off to work. The drive from his daughter’s school to his work place is the saddest part of the day for the father. This drive always seem to remind him of how unsuccessful he is and how much more he could have done in life. He would ponder whether he needed a career change. He would ponder over the things which could help improve his life and the life of his family. Pondering is all but the father could do as he has been pondering for a few years now but life remains the same for him and his family.

As he reached his work place, a sigh of burden would always creep up on him as he would normally try to put on a happy face for his co-workers.

“Good morning, KFM.”

“Good morning, Rob,” says KFM as if he seems to be the happiest man on earth. “What’s going on today?”

“Same old thing, KFM…..same old thing.”

KFM made his way to the warehouse where he worked. He was in charge of shipping and receiving. His company he worked for, R.A. Wright, is a 20 year old privately own business which makes its profits by leasing the latest and most up to date copy machines to local businesses such as hospitals, schools, and large corporations.

Everyday KFM is at work, his job is to make sure the company receives the proper equipments in which a technician will assemble them, run tests on them and ship them out to the company’s clients. And everyday when he is at work, he would have to take two 30 minute breaks to pick up his daughters at two different times and send them to their in-laws until his wife picks them up.

KFM’s wife works early in the morning from 6:00 am to 2:00 pm. When she gets off work at 2 pm, she would pick up the kids by 3 pm from her parent’s house. Some time around 5:30 pm is when KFM would normally be home from work.

At home, KFM would help his oldest daughter with her homework while his wife cooks dinner. They would then eat and enjoy a family show before getting ready for bed. The next day and every day, KFM would live out the same routines.

Chapter 2, It’s Friday

It was finally Friday. KFM had gotten off work and was heading home as he knew today was a special day for the kids. When he arrived home, his wife had already set dinner on the table. As the family began to eat, Aubree said, “Dad, do you know what today is?”

“Uhhhh, no----oh.”

“Today is the Fall Festival at my school. Mom said we could go if I eat all my food.”

“Then you better eat your food.”

The family finished eating dinner and quickly dressed for the occasion. They all put on orange and black outfits as they made their way to the fall festival.

The festival had games, food, drinks and a maze made of hay. It was nothing fancy, but it was more than enough for the kids as they ran and screamed.

KFM and Aubree went ahead to visit the maze. Aubree took off racing and disappeared into the maze followed by a tall man. KFM watched from the distance and moments later he saw his daughter come out from the other end. He went to greet and congratulate his daughter for completing the maze.

“Dad, I want to go again and I want you to come with me.”

“Alrighty, let's go.”

KFM and his daughter went back around to the entrance of the maze and started trotting through. Aubree took off running again and disappeared. KFM followed quickly behind and saw the tall man again as he started to disappear as he turned the corner. KFM pick up his pace and as he didn't see the man after the first turn, he sped up again...And when he didn't see the man after the second turn, KFM was now running full speed through the maze. He caught up to his daughter at the end of the maze while gasping for air.

“Sweety, are you OK?”

“Yes, Daddy. Of course, I'm Ok.”

While gasping for more air, KFM asked his daughter, “Hey, did you see a man while you went through the maze?”

“ A man? No. I didn't see a man. What did he looked like, Dad? Did you see him? Let me go again to see if I can see him.”

“No, no, no, Sweety. No more, that's enough.”

“But why?”

“Because---------,” while KFM thought of an excuse for his daughter, he quickly scanned the area to see if the tall man was anywhere to be seen.

“Because what, Dad?”

“Because we have to do some other things too. Come on, let's check what's over here,” as KFM pulled his daughter toward some booths where his wife and Nana were.

“You guys seem to be having fun?”

“We sure are, huh Aubree?”

“Yeah, Mom, we are having a blast!”

“That is great, Honey. See if your dad wants to take you to play some games?

“Dad, can we play some games, please?”

“Of course, Sweety. Which game you wanna play first?”

The festival went on as the kids ran and played. Their parents watched closely from a distance as they too enjoyed the festivity while listening to music and eating hotdogs and hamburgers.

As the night went on, it started to get cold and families began leaving.

The Man family left the festival and went home. Exhausted, the parents flung themselves on the sofas while the children turned on the television and watched the Disney channel.

“Aubree, not too loud OK.”

“OK, Dad.”

The children continued to watch their Disney shows as their parents got ready for bed. KFM and his wife, Misty, had sneaked to take a shower together. When they came out of the bathroom, the children were already fast asleep on the sofas.

“They didn't get their baths,” Misty said.

“That's OK, they can get it tomorrow.”

“Oh well, I'm tired anyway.”

KFM carried his children one by one to their spot on the bed. He checked all the doors to make sure they were locked and turned off the appliances, computers, and anything which did not need to be on. Lastly, he made sure the bedroom ceiling fan was on low before turning off the light in the hallway and coming to bed. He climbed onto the bed and laid next to his wife and tucked his hands under his head.

“Good night, Honey,” KFM said to his wife but she didn't respond as she was already asleep.

KFM has trouble sleeping as sometimes it would take hours before he would dose off. He is also a light sleeper. Any little noise from the norm will wake him. Sometimes he would wake up three or four times a night whether to use the bathroom or to check on the kids. As KFM laid there and began thinking about his life, he remembered he had forgotten to disable the alarm on his cell phone. He quickly got out of bed and shut off the alarm as he normally sleeps in on Saturdays. Since he is out of bed, he tried to use the bathroom one more time to help prevent him from having to get up later as he often does in the middle of the night.

He came back to bed and tucked his hands under his head and closed his eyes. Just as he began to yawn and his body went limp, his wife woke him up.

“KFM, did you hear that?”

“Sort of, what was that?”

“Maybe you should go and see what's going on?”

“Alright. Stay with the kids and don't move.”

KFM quickly put on his slippers and grabbed his shot gun and head-lamp. As he opened the back porch door, he noticed a blue light emanating from the patches of pumpkins in the far corner of his back yard. Frightened by this, his heart aroused to a fast beating drum. The blood gushed through his veins as he immediately goes into cardiac arrest and tumbles to the ground while gasping for air. The shotgun had fallen several feet away from him. Struggling in desperation, he tried to reach for the gun in hopes to fire it and alert his wife. Inching little by little and with his restricted breathing, he falls in and out of consciousness. He sees a figure standing before him. Unsure whether it's real or imagined he continues to advance for the gun.

Chapter 2-continued

After what seemed to be hours, KFM realized he has not made much progress.

Why hasn't the wife come out to check on me? What if I'm already dead KFM thought to himself.

As he came to his senses, KFM realized both his legs have been broken from the fall. Screaming at the top of his lungs, he bellowed out in agony hoping his neighbors or his wife would come to his aid. As he laid there and wait, the moon hovered over the clear skies and beamed down what seemed to be the brightest light KFM has ever seen. He could see the striations of light radiating from above as if the moon was attempting to communicate something to him. The striations began weaving into a hand shaped object and appeared to be waving “Hello.”

The stars slowly aligned themselves depicting images which KFM has never seen before. They would continue to reconfigure and what seemed to be pictures at first now appeared to be moving. As KFM laid there and stared at the moving stars, it reminded him of being in a theater. Mesmerized by this, he tucked his hands behind his head and began watching as the stars unfolded the cinema.

The sky screen showed beings pillaging the universe as they would go from planet to planet scavenging for resources. These beings looked almost transparent as if they were an entity. They were tall and seemingly well-built. And when they spoke, their lips had very little contortion. They seemed hairless and wore minimal garment which exposed what fine tissue definitions they had.

The sky screen continued to show the destruction of these beings. As they entered the planet's atmosphere, KFM immediately realized something very odd was happening. Time seemed to have accelerated tremendously for the planet's inhabitants whereas time seemed to have decelerated exponentially for the aliens. The sky screen showed the inhabitants moving extremely fast compared to the aliens.

These aliens must have telekinetic powers to be able to plunder worlds as KFM thought to himself as he is blown away by all this yet he remains intrigued and curious as to why the moon and the stars are behaving in such bizarre manners.

“Am I the only one seeing this? Am I dreaming?”

KFM is puzzled but curiosity keeps him looking on as he tries to decipher what the moon and the stars are showing him. Moments later, KFM noticed a most magnificent display of illusion revealed by the sky screen. It is as though the aliens and the inhabitants were on two different time rifts which are now being slowly woven into one causing the planet and everything to bend. It is all becoming clear now to KFM. He could see the aliens accelerating whereas before they were moving extremely slow.

As one set of time is accelerating to catch up to the other, the other is decelerating to allow the former to catch up whereby they will meet and intertwine into one. Finally, when the two sets of time intertwined and completely merged as one and things returned to normal, KFM lays there dumbfounded and speechless as to what he had just witnessed. He shakes his head as things are becoming more and more sci-fi but continues to lay there and let himself be taken by the moon and the stars.

“Why am I experiencing this? What purpose(s) does the moon and stars have for bringing me out here tonight and showing me all of this? I must be dreaming; this cannot be real.”

Chapter 2- continued

Just as KFM finished formulating those thoughts, the beams of the moon began forming striations. KFM witnessed the bizarre happening and asked, “Are you trying to tell me something?” As soon as he finished asking the question, the striations slowly contorted into a hand shaped object showing a thumbs up.

KFM smirked at the moon and pinched himself to see if he would wake up only to feel the pain is minimal as he is already experiencing extreme pain from his two broken legs. His knee caps have both been shattered when he plummeted to the cement. Although he is crippled, he seemed perfectly content where he is as he is more interested in the phenomena happening in the skies. He began talking to the moon and as the night went on, he was beginning to understand.

Each time he asks the moon a question which can be answered with a yes or a no, the moon would respond accordingly. But each time he questions the reality of what he is seeing, the moon's striations would only glow brighter as if refusing to answer. And each time the moon responded to his questions, KFM would chuckle as to be pessimistic of the things he was witnessing.

“Is this real? Is what I am seeing and experiencing...real?”

KFM laid there and waited for the moon to respond. As he laid there, the moon brightened as its radiating strands twisted and intertwined but neither signaling a yes or a no.

“Surely there is a reasonable explanation for all this. Surely I am ill. Perhaps I am in shock which is why I am experiencing this? Surely this cannot be real.”

KFM decided to take his mind off the moon and concentrate on what the stars are showing. It appears the conquering beings have moved to another galaxy whereby they would repeat the same scenario as KFM has seen earlier. Falling in and out of consciousness and unable to distinguish reality from imagination, KFM lets himself dose off into a deep sleep.

The stars shimmered brighter as the night continued. The moon glared down on Earth as its beams radiate to illuminate the dark. The crickets chirped as they communicate to each other. Mosquitoes and moths sporadically fly around the porch light trying to find a good landing area. The neighbors' dogs would bark in the distance. A cat has taken ownership of KFM's bench as it sits there under a sycamore tree scouting for mice as they may cross the field to feast on the delicious pumpkins in the back of KFM's yard. The pumpkin fields are filled with little critters as they munch on the tasty leaves. A caterpillar had just finished sewing his cocoon and now hibernates.

The moon had now made its way to the center of the sky glowing more radiant now than ever with a slight hint of crimson. The stars remained somewhat constant. Orion, which could hardly be seen by the naked eyes, is easy to make out on this very night. The bow and arrow of Orion remains motionless as the stealthy hunter takes aim. He lets the arrow fly and into the woods it goes.... penetrating through the brushes and finds its target, the three-headed hound.

Nearby, some stray dogs made their way toward KFM's neighborhood and began barking up a storm. The chaos broke KFM's sleep as he wakes up to discover the same figure, which had appeared before him earlier in this seemingly timeless journey, standing before him. The figure spoke.

“KFM, you must come with me. The fate of the universe depends on you.”

“Who are you and what are you talking about?”

“We need your help. We have been searching the universe for billions of years to find the one who may be able to defeat our enemies. Please, you must come with me.”

“How I am suppose to pack up and leave my family? I have a wife and two kids who need me? Besides, this is all a dream and I will wake up momentarily to find out none of this ever happened. Please leave me alone! Whoever you are looking for is not me, I assure you!”

The figure stood there motionless while KFM struggled to move his legs but each time he tried, his knees would be aggravated and the pain would amplify exponentially. Moments later, a second figure appeared next to the first. It proceeded to advance toward KFM. Helpless and immobile, KFM cringed as the figure approached him. Preparing for the worst, KFM frantically crawled for his gun while ignoring the excruciating pain emitting from his knees. The figure intercepted KFM from reaching the gun and with a disheartening sigh, KFM abandoned his feeble attempt and accepted his doom.

The figure crouched down next to KFM and began massaging KFM's legs and knees. Instantaneously, KFM no longer felt any pain. The pain vanished and as he began moving his legs and joints, he too discovered his knees were no longer broken. With a sigh of relief mixed with fear and uncertainty, KFM rushed to his feet.

“Look, thank you for healing my legs but I cannot abandon my family. Sorry but no!...And what is this fate of the universe you're talking about it?”

“Your family will be taken care of...We will make sure of that, but if you don't come with us, you and your family will all perish along with Earth and all of its living creatures.”

“Just tell me one thing. Am I dreaming or is this real?”

The figures looked at each other and remained speechless as if KFM's question had confused them.

“Well, what's the answer? Are you guys just going to stand there? You were able to heal me with your supernatural powers and you can't freaking answer a simple question?”

“Yes, we have the power to heal and we can answer any of your questions.”

“Then answer it, will you?”

“What question are you referring to?”

“What do you mean what question am I referring to?...I just asked you a question!”

“Please state your question.”

“You have got to be kidding me? I asked you if I am dreaming all of this or is this really happening?”

Once again, the figures looked at each other as to be confused and remained speechless.

“Look, if you want me to come with you to s-a-v-e the universe,” KFM sarcastically retorted, “You have to tell me the truth!”

“Yes, we will tell you the truth. What is it you want to know?”

“Dammit,” as KFM clinches his fists, “is this real or not?”

Once again, the figures looked baffled and glanced at each other.

“That is it, I am not coming with you guys. Please leave me alone and please go away or I will call the police!”

KFM reached for his shotgun and checked the ammunition. As he is about to open the porch door to let himself in, the figures spoke in unison.

From this point on, the story reveals the ideas of my book if I should ever finish it. I cannot reveal any more than what I already have. The ideas are original and I cannot allow the chance it may be stolen from me.

Who would be interested in the rest of this timeless journey?

I enjoyed it, the beginning actually made me extremely sad... and i liked it a lot. only thing i have to say is there was one sentence that just sounded weirdly worded to me.. it may be grammatically correct but it still sounded strange every time i read it out in my head. but it was good, great imagery and it was easy to relate to the life and protective instincts. awesome work bravo.

I enjoyed it' date=' the beginning actually made me extremely sad... and i liked it a lot. only thing i have to say is there was one sentence that just sounded weirdly worded to me.. it may be grammatically correct but it still sounded strange every time i read it out in my head. but it was good, great imagery and it was easy to relate to the life and protective instincts. awesome work bravo.[/quote']

Thank you, Bam.

The editing is no where near done. I am constantly editing as I write.

I have a feeling I know which sentence you are referring to....

Thank you for reading, Bam. I have a lot more, but I cannot reveal anymore of it for fear the ideas would be stolen.

I am currently stealing your ideas.

on a serious note........

well done, very fluid.

if you want constructive criticism I have a couple of minor issues where it seems to become a bit of a choppy read.

I will PM the parts that I will edit when I inevitably steal your idea and sell it as my own cashing in on millions of dollars that would have gone to you had you not been fool hearty enough to post your idea on an open internet forum.

I am currently stealing your ideas.

on a serious note........

well done' date=' very fluid.

if you want constructive criticism I have a couple of minor issues where it seems to become a bit of a choppy read.

I will PM the parts that I will edit when I inevitably steal your idea and sell it as my own cashing in on millions of dollars that would have gone to you had you not been fool hearty enough to post your idea on an open internet forum.[/quote']

Glad you were able to stop by, Dcent.

And I will appreciate any advice given.

I will check on your editing tomorrow. I must hit the rack now....

So this is a auto biography? Day in the life of KFM? hehehe

Excellent read. You really drew me in and left us kind of hanging there at the end. Ofcourse I would like to hear more but I can understand if you don't want to.

Not really sure what to think about what that implied message is at the end with them not answering.

Nobody wants to read this huh?

Don't let the title and dialogue fool you to believe the book is about me.

It is science fiction. I only posted this portion of it to see if any would be interested in the rest of the book.

Dcent' date=' Stomp, Paul, Kaiser, BamFreddrick anyone????[/quote']

Wow! I really enjoyed that and I very much appreciate you posting it. Whenever you finish this project, I will surely purchase a copy.

Thank you' date=' Bam.

The editing is no where near done. I am constantly editing as I write.

I have a feeling I know which sentence you are referring to....

Thank you for reading, Bam. I have a lot more, but I cannot reveal anymore of it for fear the ideas would be stolen.[/quote']

YOu planning on publishing a book?

I read some. I'm not going to lie, I'm lazy and don't like reading on a computer screen so I only read the first post. Just get it done. I am actually writing a book right now, myself, a self help book. "You can't do worse than me". But seriously, all it is is sitting down and actually writing it. If it sucks go back and fix it. But if you don't write even the first copy that you might not want others to read then there is nothing to fix. Get something done, then perfect it, ya know?

So this is a auto biography? Day in the life of KFM? hehehe

Excellent read. You really drew me in and left us kind of hanging there at the end. Ofcourse I would like to hear more but I can understand if you don't want to.

Not really sure what to think about what that implied message is at the end with them not answering.

Damn KFM that was good. Critically' date=' it got a little slow after KFM fell but it was good stuff and got me hooked. Keep writing, cause I want to know what happens next.[/quote']

I am glad you guys liked it. I wish I could give you more, but as it is, if I am going to stand any chance of publishing this someday, I cannot reveal anymore of it. From that point on, the story takes shape and many of the ideas which makes this book what I hope it to be will be revealed. What I have given you is a glimpse of the story. If you are blown away by the opening scene, you will definitely like the book when and if it is finished.

Thank you for reading and commenting, Stomp and Kaiser.

Wow! I really enjoyed that and I very much appreciate you posting it. Whenever you finish this project' date=' I will surely purchase a copy.[/quote']

Thank you for the kind words, Paul. I am glad you enjoyed it.

This may however take a year or two to finish if I should never abandon the project. If you liked it a lot, the rest you will definitely enjoy.

Thank you for reading and responding, Paul.

I read some. I'm not going to lie' date=' I'm lazy and don't like reading on a computer screen so I only read the first post. Just get it done. I am actually writing a book right now, myself, a self help book. "You can't do worse than me". But seriously, all it is is sitting down and actually writing it. If it sucks go back and fix it. But if you don't write even the first copy that you might not want others to read then there is nothing to fix. Get something done, then perfect it, ya know?[/quote']

You are right....that is how I am writing this book. I write and edit as I go....It is a daunting task.

Hi Fu. In the final story are you going to be changing the character to the name of a common person? I mean it'd be kind of strange having the main character some dude named KFM.;)

One last question will his bud that works with him be a main character or atleast a minor one. I liked the way you sort of used him as a way to introduce KFM but you shouldn't just throw him away.

The thing I really liked the most about this story is it starts slow with some feel good moments, starts to get a little mysterious and heats up a little then it's brought to a boil and gets really strange and leaves you hanging. So it builds with excitement then leaves you wondering what's next.

Being able to do that chapter after chapter and sometimes building the simmer part more is what keeps things interesting and keeps you wanting more.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Hi Fu. In the final story are you going to be changing the character to the name of a common person? I mean it'd be kind of strange having the main character some dude named KFM.;).

agree.

but I ahve tried writing short storys aswell and the main character is always named either "guy" , "main character" or "me/myname" untill I actually finish and give him his real name.

(all "him" because I dont write books about doing laundry so the main character obviously cant be a girl)

Archived