What does Brock have to do to prove himself

ausdestroy

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
show mma skill and not size and power.

See I don't get this type of reaction. Brock has dedicated himself to his art ie. building Muscle & grappling, just as much as all these guys who have BJJ blackbelts etc.

And he keeps winning......

I think there's a lot of snobbery against him lacking martial arts skill but guess what, all those kung fu films were wrong, size can beat skill a lot of the time.

See I don't get this type of reaction. Brock has dedicated himself to his art ie. building Muscle & grappling' date=' just as much as all these guys who have BJJ blackbelts etc.

[b']I think there's a lot of snobbery against him lacking martial arts skill but guess what, all those kung fu films were wrong, size can beat skill a lot of the time.[/b]

They were also wrong because kung fu sucks.

See I don't get this type of reaction. Brock has dedicated himself to his art ie. building Muscle & grappling' date=' just as much as all these guys who have BJJ blackbelts etc.

I think there's a lot of snobbery against him lacking martial arts skill but guess what, all those kung fu films were wrong, size can beat skill a lot of the time.[/quote']

dude what do you mean lacking martial art skills? it's not mortal kombat

it's mixed martial arts , i.e judo ,wrestling , boxing etc. not kung fu , and you just basically repeated what i said , size does beat skill i.e brock vs anyone he has beaten.

so what side r u on lol o.O?

Most people on here (whether they like him or not) have accepted that he's a great fighter and a worthy champion. His title shot came a little early, but he's beaten the best that the division has to offer so far. The thing you have to remember is that his attitude in the past has been poor, and haters are gonna hate. I'm not a huge fan of him as a person but I accept that he's a great fighter and personally think he'll make light work of Cain. We'll see though.

Most people on here (whether they like him or not) have accepted that he's a great fighter and a worthy champion. His title shot came a little early' date=' but he's beaten the best that the division has to offer so far. The thing you have to remember is that his attitude in the past has been poor, and haters are gonna hate. I'm not a huge fan of him as a person but I accept that he's a great fighter and personally think he'll make light work of Cain. We'll see though.[/quote']

he isn't a great ****ing fighter , he has size.

he isn't a great ****ing fighter ' date=' he has size.[/quote']

Lots of guys come into the cage at 280 pounds and get raped. Of course he has a somewhat unfair advantage over guys like Cain, Frank and JDS but there are plenty of big guys in the UFC who weigh in at the limit and still get beaten up.

it's mixed martial arts ' date=' i.e judo ,wrestling , boxing etc. not kung fu , and you just basically repeated what i said , [b']size does beat skill[/b] i.e brock vs anyone he has beaten.

so what side r u on lol o.O?

you're a noob.

Size or strength itself doesn't beat anything. If that were the case then that polish guy who was the worlds strongest man would have been just DESTROYING guys. Instead he got TKO'd by Tim Sylvia. I don't care how strong or big you are, if you don't know what you're doing in there you're going to get ****ed up.

Anyone who thinks size alone wins fights is a goon.

Lots of guys come into the cage at 280 pounds and get raped. Of course he has a somewhat unfair advantage over guys like Cain' date=' Frank and JDS but there are plenty of big guys in the UFC who weigh in at the limit and still get beaten up.[/quote']

you're a noob.

Size or strength itself doesn't beat anything. If that were the case then that polish guy who was the worlds strongest man would have been just DESTROYING guys. Instead he got TKO'd by Tim Sylvia. I don't care how strong or big you are' date=' if you don't know what you're doing in there you're going to get ****ed up.

Anyone who thinks size alone wins fights is a goon.[/quote']

There you guys go using logic again. Keep quiet before you bust alot of hopes and dreams of those who wish our HW champ was using back flips and flying supa dupa submissions to win.

it's mixed martial arts ' date=' i.e judo ,wrestling , boxing etc. not kung fu , and you just basically repeated what i said , size does beat skill i.e brock vs anyone he has beaten.

so what side r u on lol o.O?[/quote']

Brock lacks martial arts skills, that is not difficult to understand is it?

By kung fu movies I mean as a genre martial arts films, not just kung fu as a martial art. Basically, reality is not like the movies.

As far as sides, I don't really feel the need to take sides.

Personally I think it's up to the UFC and the HW fighters to prove he's not all that, until then I admire the fact that this beast can walk in and (so far) beat anyone who competes against him. If I hear a HW fighter complaining about him then I will listen.

I think a lot of people resent the fact that

a) He came from WWE so all their mates who don't watch MMA think it's a joke

B) They maybe have been training for years and realise that genetics counts for a lot and feel a pang of envy against him.

Brock is definitely a hard person to judge, he seems to be a very arrogant brash guy against Mir, then a very humble genuine guy against Carwin. He brings such a particular skill set as well, its hard to deny he?s a fantastic wrestler; he has a lot of size yes. But he?d be a fool to not use it, he has this power and size, why not force it on his opponents

About his lack of MMA skills, i think that?s true to an ascent but he is relatively new to MMA and is only going to get better.

I think one problem is some of his fans think he?s indestructible and therefore right off his opponents. Cain will be a test for Brock, make no mistake about it!

But I am coming around to thinking he could be one of the best heavyweights to ever fight in mma.

you're a noob.

Size or strength itself doesn't beat anything. If that were the case then that polish guy who was the worlds strongest man would have been just DESTROYING guys. Instead he got TKO'd by Tim Sylvia. I don't care how strong or big you are' date=' if you don't know what you're doing in there you're going to get ****ed up.

Anyone who thinks size alone wins fights is a goon.[/quote']

i'd agree if brock had skill.

but he doesn't have mma skills

key word is skills

so what does he use to win? his size advantage, he gets the take down , sits on them so they can't get up and pounds away.

don't get of subject now , noob

Brock is definitely a hard person to judge' date=' he seems to be a very arrogant brash guy against Mir, then a very humble genuine guy against Carwin. He brings such a particular skill set as well, its hard to deny he?s a fantastic wrestler; he has a lot of size yes. But he?d be a fool to not use it, he has this power and size, why not force it on his opponents

About his lack of MMA skills, i think that?s true to an ascent but he is relatively new to MMA and is only going to get better.

I think one problem is some of his fans think he?s indestructible and therefore right off his opponents. Cain will be a test for Brock, make no mistake about it!

But I am coming around to thinking he could be one of the best heavyweights to ever fight in mma.[/quote']

Good post. He could be one of the best but has a few hurdles yet. Cain should cause him some problems & I expect a fairly cautious approach from Brock on the night, as he was against Couture.

First post. Been doing some reading of some opinions on here.

So my question....what does Brock have to do to prove himself worthy of the belt he holds?

Seems like a lot of people don't think he is any good at this sport. So what would change your mind on that?

There is nothing he can do. haters gonna hate.

so what does he use to win? his size advantage' date=' he gets the take down , sits on them so they can't get up and pounds away.

[/quote']

I dont understand how this is really any different to what a bunch of fighters are doing. Take down your opponent, get into a dominant position and pound away or go for a submission if and when available. Many many fighters have this same approach.

What mma skill has Carwin shown?

Or Liddell for that matter?

carwin: good tdd ' date=' good stand up . it's a shame we have not seen his wrestling yet. his to good to need it.

liddell : who cares

I dont understand how this is really any different to what a bunch of fighters are doing. Take down your opponent, get into a dominant position and pound away or go for a submission if and when available. Many many fighters have this same approach.

they use their mma skill.

lesnar doesn't , he uses his size.

although he is a wrestler , it's not like he needs it because his big enough to take anyone down. except for carwin

Brock is definitely a hard person to judge' date=' he seems to be a very arrogant brash guy against Mir, then a very humble genuine guy against Carwin. He brings such a particular skill set as well, its hard to deny he?s a fantastic wrestler; he has a lot of size yes. But he?d be a fool to not use it, he has this power and size, why not force it on his opponents

But I am coming around to thinking he could be one of the best heavyweights to ever fight in mma.[/quote']

I think his brush with death and losing everything forced him to look inward more. He seems a lot calmer now.

Why does he need BJJ when he has wrestling? What he really needs is a much improved stand up game. His ground skills are as good as anyone's at HW.

carwin: good tdd ' date=' good stand up . it's a shame we have not seen his wrestling yet. his to good to need it.

although he is a wrestler , it's not like he needs it because his big enough to take anyone down. except for carwin[/quote']

SimpleJake...Biggest MMA noob on this whole damn forum, You say you hate Lesnar..then why are you in every Lesnar thread, nobody takes you serious..Just admit it..You care about the guy, whether you love him or hate him..one way or the other, you care about him, and thats one reason why he put's so many asses in seats, its because of **** haters like you :D

although he is a wrestler , it's not like he needs it because his big enough to take anyone down. except for carwin[/quote']

TTD is not a mixed martial art. So again, what mixed bag of tricks does Carwin has? Here's a hint, he has the same exact bag as Lesnar, except he has a much better striking game.

Liddell is a LHW version of Carwin. In other words, neither of them are much different than Lesnar in their fighting bag of tricks. Has Carwin ever subbed anyone? How many subs has Liddell done? My point is, just because it is called Mixed Martial Arts, does not mean that every fighter has to know every one of them, it means that any martial art can be used in the cage.

What about Royce Gracie? Where was the "Mixed" in his MMA repertoire? Same with Big Nog.

So to say Lesnar is one dimensional is true, but he is no different than many of the top fighters of the sport.

Well he's already proving he can beat people in the UFC cant argue with that.

If he wants to prove he's the best heavyweight in the world he'll have to go to strikeforce to fight the best heavyweights in the world.

lmao

Oh i forgot-to "fans" like you anybody outside of the ufc is a can rite?

Why does he need BJJ when he has wrestling? What he really needs is a much improved stand up game. His ground skills are as good as anyone's at HW.

Because what if theres some he can't handle on the ground? say someone with his size and wardums BJJ

As a champion brock has to be well rounded or he won't stay champion

No matter how you slice it there?s no way that someone at his level doesn?t need stand up, he will need it eventually, why not learn it now?

Because what if theres some he can't handle on the ground? say someone with his size and wardums BJJ

As a champion brock has to be well rounded or he won't stay champion

No matter how you slice it there?s no way that someone at his level doesn?t need stand up' date=' he will need it eventually, why not learn it now?[/quote']

I'm not really disagreeing with you. I would prefer to have a more well rounded fighter because it gives you more options. And lets face it, Lesnar's stand up is crap.

But in my opinion, I would rather have a good wrestler than a good BJJ guy.

I think it's Verduum that has to be careful on the ground, not lesnar. Because not only is he a skilled wrestler, he is very strong.

i'd agree if brock had skill.

but he doesn't have mma skills

key word is skills

so what does he use to win? his size advantage' date=' he gets the take down , sits on them so they can't get up and pounds away.

don't get of subject now , noob[/quote']

I'm staying of subject.

He gets takedowns. In every fight he has gotten a takedown. That's not luck. It doesn't matter how big you are, if you're fast enough you can sprawl someone. There wasn't even time for any of his opponents to attempt a sprawl.

Hes fast, athletic and powerful. He's not just a big goon.

Is the most athletic, or fast? No, probably not. Is he the biggest/strongest? Maybe, Carwin might be stronger.

You can't just take any big guy and say all they use is there size. If I weighed 400 pounds I bet any money BJ Penn would still **** my world up.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. I would prefer to have a more well rounded fighter because it gives you more options. And lets face it' date=' Lesnar's stand up is crap.

But in my opinion, I would rather have a good wrestler than a good BJJ guy.

I think it's Verduum that has to be careful on the ground, not lesnar. Because not only is he a skilled wrestler, he is very strong.[/quote']

haha i'm not saying you're wrong, i just enjoy some discussion

In my opinion there will be eventually someone who brock cannot take down, he?ll look like a fish out of water if that happens

lmao

Tell me where in my reply quoted above I said anything like that.

I think you guys who don't like Lesnar, and that's fine, would find yourselves not so against his fans if you were able to not place words in our mouths.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I can't stand Anderson Silva but to say he's not an excellent fighter is flat out incorrect no matter what my opinion is on him. Lesnar is no Silva, atleast at this point, but to completely discredit him and to go to the length of discrediting the entire UFC HW division to try to form an argument is rather extreme. I don't believe strikeforce has better HWs than the UFC, no, but I certainly wouldn't call them cans.

But what have the strikeforce heavyweights proved in the last 5 years? Any of them? Werdum got KO'd by JDS, then choked out Fedor. Alistar got hooked up with roids, and then beat up Brett Rogers the tire salesman. That's Brett Rogers fighting style. Tire salesman. Cain Velasquez would DESTROY any of their top heavyweights.

haha i'm not saying you're wrong' date=' i just enjoy some discussion

In my opinion there will be eventually someone who brock cannot take down, he?ll look like a fish out of water if that happens[/quote']

It will look like the 1st round of the Carwin fight unless he improves his stand up...lol

SimpleJake...Biggest MMA noob on this whole damn forum' date=' You say you hate Lesnar..then why are you in every Lesnar thread, nobody takes you serious..Just admit it..You care about the guy, whether you love him or hate him..one way or the other, you care about him, and thats one reason why he put's so many asses in seats, its because of **** haters like you :D[/quote']

I'm a mma noob because i dont agree with what u say nor you agree with what i say?

**** off idiot and stop repeating yourself.

i hate him because his fans are douchbags

TTD is not a mixed martial art. So again' date=' what mixed bag of tricks does Carwin has? Here's a hint, he has the same exact bag as Lesnar, except he has a much better striking game.

Liddell is a LHW version of Carwin. In other words, neither of them are much different than Lesnar in their fighting bag of tricks. Has Carwin ever subbed anyone? How many subs has Liddell done? My point is, just because it is called Mixed Martial Arts, does not mean that every fighter has to know every one of them, it means that any martial art can be used in the cage.

What about Royce Gracie? Where was the "Mixed" in his MMA repertoire? Same with Big Nog.

So to say Lesnar is one dimensional is true, but he is no different than many of the top fighters of the sport.[/quote']

tdd comes with wrestling , go figure.

so carwin showed his wrestling in a way.

lesnar looks like he has good wrestling because he has good take downs, but it was size ,

when he tried to take someone down the same size as him he failed..

But what have the strikeforce heavyweights proved in the last 5 years? Any of them? Werdum got KO'd by JDS' date=' then choked out Fedor. Alistar got hooked up with roids, and then beat up Brett Rogers the tire salesman. That's Brett Rogers fighting style. Tire salesman. Cain Velasquez would DESTROY any of their top heavyweights.[/quote']

well thats like saying lesnar got hooked up with roids then beat frank mir,oh wait he lost!

**** outa here with that crap,and cain?who has he ever fought??

Beating unproven cain velasquez means nothing,to be seen as the best Brock has to fight the best who currently reside in Strikeforce.

Velasquez has only fought one top guy,Nogueira,a way out of his prime nogueria.

SCORE! thats means he can beat everyone!

First post. Been doing some reading of some opinions on here.

So my question....what does Brock have to do to prove himself worthy of the belt he holds?

Seems like a lot of people don't think he is any good at this sport. So what would change your mind on that?

Fedor was undefeated fo 10 years with over 30 wins. He still had not proven himself to many of the people who follow the sport.

Lesnar has to defeat many fighters in impressive fashion.

SO far he has lost once and has 5 mediocre wins?

I'm a mma noob because i dont agree with what u say nor you agree with what i say?

**** off idiot and stop repeating yourself.

i hate him because his fans are douchbags

No, you're a noob because you come up with things that are simple not true SimpleJake..I dont care if you hate him, thats ur opinion..And if there is one guy who keeps repeating the same old BS even when people have proven him wrong,its you buddy..

You hate him, because he whooped Mir's *** into oblivion.

Archived