referees giving instructions

tha_dude

i'm not sure how i feel about it, but do you think that it's ok for the referee to be giving instructions to a fighter during a fight? i don't mean "let go of the fence" or "stop so i can stand you up". i'm talking about "do something or i'm going to stop the fight." as an example, lesnar loses to carwin if he isn't told repeatedly to "do something" by rosenthal. i kinda feel like it's not his job to tell a fighter how to avoid losing DURING the fight. it's no different than if he had told carwin "keep blasting him in the face and i'll stop the fight", which would be totally unacceptable. imagine a referee pointing out an armbar opportunity during a fight. telling someone how to NOT lose a fight is no different from telling someone how to win a fight. imagine an NFL referee telling favre that moss is wide open.

I've noticed some refs warn the fighters they are close to stopping the fight and some don't. None of them ever give advice. That's not the same thing.

It also depends on the magnitude of the fight. One could assume that nobody wants a controversial stoppage in a fight with the amount of hype surrounding Lesnar vs Carwin... especially the ref in charge.

that's what i mean. lesnar loses that fight if the referee doesn't tell him he needs to fight. that doesn't seem right.

If you watch most fights that are close to being stopped the ref tells the fighter to defend their selves and then gives them a few seconds to see if they have. If they havent the fight is stopped its not special treatment as Lesnar defended well and blocked most of the punches.

I've noticed some refs warn the fighters they are close to stopping the fight and some don't. None of them ever give advice. That's not the same thing.

It also depends on the magnitude of the fight. One could assume that nobody wants a controversial stoppage in a fight with the amount of hype surrounding Lesnar vs Carwin... especially the ref in charge.

"do something or i'm gonna stop the fight" IS advice.

"hey brock, want some advice? do something or i'm gonna stop this fight and you're gonna lose." that's advice and instruction every day of the week. if rosenthal had kept his mouth shut and then stopped the fight, no sane person would have said "early stoppage". he was gettin' his @$$ whipped. but that's not the only fight it happened in. like i said, they don't tell fighters how to win, why tell them how to not lose?

If you watch most fights that are close to being stopped the ref tells the fighter to defend their selves and then gives them a few seconds to see if they have. If they havent the fight is stopped its not special treatment as Lesnar defended well and blocked most of the punches.

i'm just using the lesnar fight as an example. it does happen all the time and i don't think it's ever right.

I see no problem with warnings that they will stop it if they don't do something it's not like he's telling him what to do. He's just giving a warning. I don't see that as coaching really because it could also benifit the fighter who is putting the other one in danger.

Lets say he tells the fellow talking a beating to do something and the other guy pours it on and it gets stopped....well it can go both ways so it's really not a benifit to either it's still up to the fighters to make it happen.

I have to say though if there gonna give a warning like this then they need to be consistant to be fair to both.

Mostly I think OP is butt hurt Lesnar didn't lose to Carwin. :P

i'm not sure how i feel about it' date=' but do you think that it's ok for the referee to be giving instructions to a fighter during a fight? i don't mean "let go of the fence" or "stop so i can stand you up". i'm talking about "do something or i'm going to stop the fight." as an example, lesnar loses to carwin if he isn't told repeatedly to "do something" by rosenthal. i kinda feel like it's not his job to tell a fighter how to avoid losing DURING the fight. it's no different than if he had told carwin "keep blasting him in the face and i'll stop the fight", which would be totally unacceptable. imagine a referee pointing out an armbar opportunity during a fight. telling someone how to NOT lose a fight is no different from telling someone how to win a fight. imagine an NFL referee telling favre that moss is wide open.[/quote']

That isn't coaching a fighter it's warning him that you're about to stop the fight.

Might as well say it's wrong to give a fighter a warning for holding onto the fence, landing blows to the back of the head, or accidently kicking a guy in the crotch too many times.

Saying stuff like "now throw your leg over and you can lock in the sub" or "work the jab" is giving advice.

The closest I've ever seen to a ref giving advice was when the ref told Doomsday to protect his eye.

So if a guy is caught in an armbar should the ref step up and tell him "If you tap I'm going to stop the fight"

OF course a ref is going to stop a fight if you don;t defend yourself.

That shouldn;t have to be explained.

Andf frankly they only do it because corners don;t want to yell to their fighters to start defending themselves.

I see no problem with warnings that they will stop it if they don't do something it's not like he's telling him what to do. He's just giving a warning. I don't see that as coaching really because it could also benifit the fighter who is putting the other one in danger.

Lets say he tells the fellow talking a beating to do something and the other guy pours it on and it gets stopped....well it can go both ways so it's really not a benifit to either it's still up to the fighters to make it happen.

I have to say though if there gonna give a warning like this then they need to be consistant to be fair to both.

Mostly I think OP is butt hurt Lesnar didn't lose to Carwin. :P

not hurt at all. i didn't have a horse in the race. i just used that as an example. referees do it quite a bit, and i just wondered what people think about it. i was just asking a question.

I think that a big reason that the ref warns them is to see how they react. If the fighter is aware of his surroundings and follows instructions then there is no reason to stop the fight unless the beating continues.

On the other hand if the fighter doesn't listen at all or make any attempt to improve their position then the fight should be stopped.

well. hes not telling the fighter how to defend. he's warning the fighter that from his view the damage he is taking appears to warrant a stoppage. ive been in a fight where i was pounding away but the punches were mostly being blocked (like lesnar did to carwin) and the ref just stopped it because the guy wasnt moving. he was content to sit there and block punches and had no idea the fight was close to being stopped. if the ref had said do something or ill have to stop it he probably ould have cahnge his positioin slightly to show the ref he was fine.

Archived