Jackson?s Mixed Martial Arts: The Stand Up Game (Ironic?)

uedamasa

It?s a hot discussion over MMA blogs and forums on how Greg Jackson implements his ?safety first? or ?takedown = points? strategy through his fighters, now it?s kinda ironic to see this stand up book from their camp considering they?re not really implementing the book?s contents in their fights?

http://steverattlesnake.cliquezone.com/2010/10/jacksons-mixed-martial-arts-the-stand-up-game-ironic/

There is this misconeption that stand up has to equal a fight like Garcia vs Jung. I doubt ANY camp would espouse a fight strategy that boils down to: no defense, throw bombs and hope to catch the other guy before you get caught. While the fans enjoy it, at the end of the day it's not a winning strategy or one that is going to promote a long career.

If you read the table of contents there you see what the Jackson camp is talking about regarding the stand up portion of MMA. Basic fighting stances, head movement and foot work. Changing levels, angles everything that is crucial to being an effective striker, not a brawler but a good technical striker.

There is this misconeption that stand up has to equal a fight like Garcia vs Jung. I doubt ANY camp would espouse a fight strategy that boils down to: no defense' date=' throw bombs and hope to catch the other guy before you get caught. While the fans enjoy it, at the end of the day it's not a winning strategy or one that is going to promote a long career.

If you read the table of contents there you see what the Jackson camp is talking about regarding the stand up portion of MMA. Basic fighting stances, head movement and foot work. Changing levels, angles everything that is crucial to being an effective striker, not a brawler but a good technical striker.[/quote']

Isn't Garcia from Jacksons?

And Greg Jackson isn't just a LnP making machine as people make out, he makes the gameplans according to their fighter and their opponents. His style differs from each one, for example he told Condit to "Go to war" where as he told GSP to stay in guard in the Hardy fight.

Isn't Garcia from Jacksons?

And Greg Jackson isn't just a LnP making machine as people make out' date=' he makes the gameplans according to their fighter and their opponents. His style differs from each one, for example he told Condit to "Go to war" where as he told GSP to stay in guard in the Hardy fight.[/quote']

LOL Garcia is from Jackson's, and I bet Greg wasn't especially happy with that fight.

He is probably the best fight strategist in the MMA game today. With GSP I think he (like all of us) wanted him to stop going for the submission and just GnP Hardy. With Condit, well he was probably losing going into the 3rd. He knew Condit needed to bring it to ensure a win.

the only thing that upset me about GSP/Hardy was GSP did not realize Hardy was not going to tap and he didnt go for his back to sink in a RNC or a different choke' date=' GSP gained whatever position he wanted during that fight i think he could have baited him into a choke in which Hardy wouldnt have a choice but to tap or go out.[/quote']

Agreed. I was screaming at the TV for GSP to stop working for a joint submissions and go for a choke or just posture up and drop some elbows. He had side control so many times he should have been able to lock in the arm triangle.

Archived