Jose Aldo and WEC Lightweights to the UFC??

The_Power

from mmaweekly.com

12898-AldoGamburyanWEC51_8245.jpeg

When Jose Aldo knocked out Manny Gamburyan last month to defend his WEC featherweight title for the second time, the talk started immediately about where he ranked in the world as far as the best pound-for-pound fighters go, and also how much longer he would be sticking around at 145 pounds.

It seems Aldo's stay at featherweight may be coming to a close sooner rather than later.

The Brazilian has stated in the past that he's interested in going to 155 pounds eventually. According to UFC president Dana White, that's a distinct possibility.

"From what I'm hearing, Jose Aldo's interested in testing himself at 155 pounds. So probably very soon," White answered when asked when the WEC champ might move to the UFC.

Aldo has been an absolute wrecking machine since debuting in the WEC in 2008. With eight wins in a row in the promotion, including seven by stoppage, Aldo has become one of the top fighters in the sport, but he may soon have a whole new challenge if he moves on to face the best of the best in the UFC?s 155-pound division.

Aldo may not be the only WEC fighter making a transition to the UFC at 155 pounds either. While he didn?t come right out and say it, White also hinted that the rest of the WEC lightweights might be under consideration for a move from Zuffa's sister organization to the Octagon.

"We're working on a lot of things right now we'll be announcing in the next couple of months," White commented.

Currently, WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson is about to defend his belt against top contender Anthony Pettis in December. The WEC has long been working on a plan to develop a 125-pound flyweight division, and if that coincides with what White is talking about, it could mean the lightweights making the move to the UFC.

White admits that he's intrigued to see the potential match-ups between the best at 155 pounds in the WEC and the best at 155 pounds in the UFC. That could mean a wholesale move or even cross-promotional bouts.

"There's some interesting fights with those guys, so we're working on putting those together," White said.

The subject of the WEC lightweights moving to the UFC is nothing new, but signs are starting to point more and more towards the plan becoming reality, at least in some manner.

I stopped following the WEC as strong as I did when the UFC pulled their heavier weight classes. Although I think keeping the WEC alive is good for the sport I feel its lacking the bigger named fights which is causing the organization to suffer. They need to either split the UFC and WEC roster 50/50 or get rid of the WEC all together and bring the fighters to the UFC.

To me, and this is totally JUST MY OPINION, the only fighters that I think are worth following are: Jose Aldo, Uriah Faber, Donald Cerrone, Dominic Cruz, Leonard Garcia, Ben Henderson, Damacio Page, Rani Yahya, Jamie Varner, and Miguel Torres.

Thats not enough for me to buy a PPV or even tune into a VS broadcast. I will browse a SD Play by Play though but hardly ever do I care the out come.

To me the WEC is like the UFC's welterweight division. Its getting boring.

I stopped following the WEC as strong as I did when the UFC pulled their heavier weight classes. Although I think keeping the WEC alive is good for the sport I feel its lacking the bigger named fights which is causing the organization to suffer. They need to either split the UFC and WEC roster 50/50 or get rid of the WEC all together and bring the fighters to the UFC.

To me' date=' and this is totally JUST MY OPINION, the only fighters that I think are worth following are: Jose Aldo, Uriah Faber, Donald Cerrone, Dominic Cruz, Leonard Garcia, Ben Henderson, Damacio Page, Rani Yahya, Jamie Varner, and Miguel Torres.

Thats not enough for me to buy a PPV or even tune into a VS broadcast. I will browse a SD Play by Play though but hardly ever do I care the out come.

To me the WEC is like the UFC's welterweight division. Its getting boring.[/quote']

I would add Scott Jorgensen to the list too. He is 11-3 and currently on a 5 fight win streak. he could give Dominic Cruz a tough fight in December

I would add Scott Jorgensen to the list too. He is 11-3 and currently on a 5 fight win streak. he could give Dominic Cruz a tough fight in December

There are a lot of fighters with impressive records signed to the WEC. The WEC just doesnt put on the best cards anymore. Lack of competition with big named fighters. I would move a Diego Sanchez or even a Matt Hughes over there.

I'd really to see how aldo would deal with an elite wrester.

what elite wrestler in lw? frankie,maynard,????

aldo shouldnt have any problem with elite wrestler since his tdd is great and for his age he has a long way to go til his prime is over.

WEC is awesome.

You forgot Joseph Benivedez. He is a legit 135er. Probably the best behind Cruz

When Aldo goes up, i presumed Faber will move back up to 145. they need to try to sign a few of the guys from bellator, only issue with that is if you win the bellator tournaments you get $100,000 no way you make that much in WEC

Aldo, Henderson, Cerrone, Varner, KamalS and Anthony Pettis would make the lightweight division that much deeper. Add in Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez (this is me hoping these guys sign), and you got great competition for the next 5 years

Archived