Around the Horn UFC

bonesbonesbones

Doesn't matter to me. And for the record it doesn't matter who's idea it was. It's a contribution to the forums. just like whoever thought of MMA Drafts.

Unfortunately I may have to leave in the middle depending on how long it lasts and if it happens... so you can be host Shady.

Come on people there has to be 2 more on this huge forum to join.

First Topic Bisping/Akiyama who win' date=' why and where does it put that person in the MW division?[/quote']

Akiyama wins this fight, hes coming off a tough loss by submission and he has never lost 2 fights in a row in his whole career. His great judo skill will help him and if Leben could not knock him out theres no way Bisping wins this by any other than decision. Sexyama also does not need to fear the submission since Bisping has never won in the UFC by submission.

This win would put Sexyama in the top five and in line for a number one contender fight.

Yeah I'm here.

Akiyama has this in the bag.

According to MMA math, we can take Leben as the medium, but of course MMA doesn't work like that.

Bisping's losses come to 3 elite fighters in Evans, Hendo and Wandy.

Akiyama's comes to vicious K-1 striker LeBanner, and brawler Chris Leben.

Theoretically, Bisping has the edge up to this point... until we look deeper into their records.

Although relatively unknown, Akiyama's resume consists of finishes top to bottom. Aside from the Alan Belcher fight, he's shown to be apt in the striking department with weapons ranging from a straight KO punch to a spinning back kick. In the striking department, Bisping may have the technical edge - but he doesn't have anywhere NEAR the power to TKO Akiyama unless he gets position on the ground. It's a battle between technical boxing and a weapon arsenal as far as I'm concerned.

Prediction? Sexyama by decision.

Also, due to his popularity and the UFC trying to endorse Asian fighters in the UFC lately - a win for Akiyama places him one fight away from a title shot.

Akiyama wins this fight' date=' hes coming off a tough loss by submission and [b']he has never lost 2 fights in a row in his whole career[/b]. His great judo skill will help him and if Leben could not knock him out theres no way Bisping

wins this by any other than decision. Sexyama also does not need to fear the submission since Bisping has never won in the UFC by submission.

This win would put Sexyama in the top five and in line for a number one contender fight.

4 points.

Akiyama will win this fight he has more natural talent & with the recent move to Greg Jacksons camp that will build on those skills and set him up for a great gameplan. With a solid gas tank he should be able to keep the pressure on Bisping & dominate the fight in anyway he wants.

Yeah I'm here.

According to MMA math' date=' we can take Leben as the medium, but of course MMA doesn't work like that.

Theoretically, Bisping has the edge up to this point... until we look deeper into their records.

Although relatively unknown, [b']Akiyama's resume consists of finishes top to bottom. Aside from the Alan Belcher fight, he's shown to be apt in the striking department with weapons ranging from a straight KO punch to a spinning back kick. In the striking department, [/b]Bisping may have the technical edge - but he doesn't have anywhere NEAR the power to TKO Akiyama unless he gets position on the ground. It's a battle between technical boxing and a weapon arsenal as far as I'm concerned.

Also, due to his popularity and the UFC trying to endorse Asian fighters in the UFC lately - a win for Akiyama places him one fight away from a title shot.[/QOUTE]

5 points The position spot got 2 points. for the explanation as well.

Akiyama will win this fight he has more natural talent & with the recent move to Greg Jacksons camp that will build on those skills and set him up for a great gameplan. With a solid gas tank he should be able to keep the pressure on Bisping & dominate the fight in anyway he wants.

2 points. It was 3 but you failed to answer the positioning in the after the fight

The Heavyweight title has never been defended more then 2 times in a row.

Buy or Sell that Brock is the Greatest UFC HW champion of all time if he beats Cain.

Sell it's too soon to gauge the legacy of Brock Lesnar seeing as how his career is just starting. If he takes out Cain & his next two opponents I would consider him the greatest UFC hw fighter of all time.

But so far, what has he done: beat a lhw, is 1-1 against Mir, beat a nobody in Heath herring & submitted a guy who couldn't walk in Shane Carwin.

I would argue Brock Lesnar is ALREADY the greatest UFC HW champion of all-time.

Accomplishment? What does that mean in the face of legacy?

Brock Lesnar has already carved an immense legacy.

Currently, the top HW champions of all-time in the UFC are Tim Sylvia (for title defense purposes) and Randy Couture (just who he is, and number of times won in multiple weight classes).

Let's focus on Sylvia first.

His defenses came against perennial top 10 fighter Andrei Arlovski and good... but not great Jeff Monson. Both ended in decision.

Brock, after knocking out previous HW champion Randy Couture ended his fights by submission and TKO. BOTH the fighters were considered top 5 material at the time of their defeats. Both quality of opponents and method of victory are superior.

Then we get to Couture.

Although he doesn't have a fantastic record he's known as a hard working, smart fighter. More than anything the "mystique" surrounding him is what he is most known for with monikers such as "Captain America".

Brock Lesnar on the other hand has a following and is a draw MUCH larger than any current fighter in the UFC. His "mystique" comes from his ability to combine showmanship with raw athletic ability, and I know that NO ONE ever comes away from his fights saying "boring". Coming from the WWE adds to his drawing power as well.

So if he beats Cain is he the greatest UFC HW champion of all-time? I'd say he already is.

According to MMA math' date=' we can take Leben as the medium, but of course MMA doesn't work like that.

Although relatively unknown, [b']Akiyama's resume consists of finishes top to bottom. Aside from the Alan Belcher fight, he's shown to be apt in the striking department with weapons ranging from a straight KO punch to a spinning back kick. In the striking department, [/b]Bisping may have the technical edge - but he doesn't have anywhere NEAR the power to TKO Akiyama unless he gets position on the ground. It's a battle between technical boxing and a weapon arsenal as far as I'm concerned.

Also, due to his popularity and the UFC trying to endorse Asian fighters in the UFC lately - a win for Akiyama places him one fight away from a title shot.

im not scoring of course, but giving sexyama an advantage for finishing ability then predicting him by decision seems like it should lose you a point or two...

im not scoring of course' date=' but giving sexyama an advantage for finishing ability then predicting him by decision seems like it should lose you a point or two...[/quote']

Think about this - Wanderlei Silva.

More pop in his punch.

I think Akiyama has more finishing ability, I just don't see Bisping being finished.

Cleared up? ;)

I would argue Brock Lesnar is ALREADY the greatest UFC HW champion of all-time.

Brock Lesnar has already carved an immense legacy.

Currently' date=' the top HW champions of all-time in the UFC are Tim Sylvia (for title defense purposes) and Randy Couture (just who he is, and number of times won in multiple weight classes).

Let's focus on Sylvia first.

His defenses came against perennial top 10 fighter Andrei Arlovski and good... but not great Jeff Monson. Both ended in decision.

Brock, after knocking out previous HW champion Randy Couture ended his fights by submission and TKO. BOTH the fighters were considered top 5 material at the time of their defeats. Both quality of opponents and method of victory are superior.

Then we get to Couture.

Although he doesn't have a fantastic record he's known as a hard working, smart fighter. More than anything the "mystique" surrounding him is what he is most known for with monikers such as "Captain America".

Brock Lesnar on the other hand has a following and is a draw MUCH larger than any current fighter in the UFC. His "mystique" comes from his ability to combine showmanship with raw athletic ability, and I know that NO ONE ever comes away from his fights saying "boring". Coming from the WWE adds to his drawing power as well.

So if he beats Cain is he the greatest UFC HW champion of all-time? I'd say he already is.[/quote']

+1

i dont like brock at all, but i was thinking the same thing about him being the UFC HWC GOAT

Sell it's too soon to gauge the legacy of Brock Lesnar seeing as how his career is just starting. If he takes out Cain & his next two opponents I would consider him the greatest UFC hw fighter of all time.

But so far' date=' what has he done: beat a lhw, is 1-1 against Mir, beat a nobody in Heath herring & submitted a guy who couldn't walk in Shane Carwin.[/quote']

0 Just because you contradicted yourself very badly here. You said if he beats Cain and his next 2 opponents he'd be the greatest HW of all time. But then you went on to discredit every other opponent he's had besides Mir.

Think about this - Wanderlei Silva.

More pop in his punch.

I think Akiyama has more finishing ability' date=' I just don't see Bisping being finished.

Cleared up? ;)[/quote']

if only sam stout had beat jermey stevens id have precedent to argue... but sadly...

though bisping is a bigger middle weight (previously fighting at lhw) and akiyama might be able to make welter as short as he is... im not sure i agree with him being behind in power.

i did say should bout the point thing. haha but i know what you are saying for sure

The Heavyweight title has never been defended more then 2 times in a row.

Buy or Sell that Brock is the Greatest UFC HW champion of all time if he beats Cain.

I buy. Not only would Brock be the first guy to defend the belt more than 2 times in a row, but it would be the second time in a row he would be fighting an undefeated challenger. His first title defense was also against a former UFC champion in Frank Mir. The only other that comes close is Randy Couture, and he did hold the belt on 3 separate occasions, but the level of competition in the heavyweight division is now stronger than ever before. With another defense the collective record of the fighters he has defended his belt against is 34-6.

Meanwhile the fighters Couture has defended against have a collective record of 30-14

But so far' date=' what has he done: beat a lhw, is 1-1 against Mir, beat a nobody in Heath herring & submitted a guy who couldn't walk in Shane Carwin.[/quote']

you arent talking about randy as the lhw are you? because that would mean the only contender for ghwoat would be tim sylvia... and im not sure anyone would believe that?

0 Just because you contradicted yourself very badly here. You said if he beats Cain and his next 2 opponents he'd be the greatest HW of all time. But then you went on to discredit every other opponent he's had besides Mir.

Let's look at his next two opponents, dos Santos & after that winner of Nelson/Carwin. His level of competition is much higher & if he can beat them & continue his title run then he is the best. But so far he hasn't gotten there yet.

With all due respect' date=' can we have people not involved not flood the thread up with their opinions on our answers? It makes it more confusing.

And Shady... I am a diehard Yankee fan too.[/quote']

my bad, tho last nght shady said posters would get +1 for random people who gave it to them i do believe.

(i yell at the tv for around the horn too, ill stay out of here haha)

i would argue brock lesnar is already the greatest ufc hw champion of all-time.

Brock lesnar has already carved an immense legacy.

Currently' date=' the top hw champions of all-time in the ufc are tim sylvia (for title defense purposes) and randy couture (just who he is, and number of times won in multiple weight classes).

+2

let's focus on sylvia first.

His defenses came against perennial top 10 fighter andrei arlovski and good... But not great jeff monson. Both ended in decision.

Brock, after knocking out previous hw champion randy couture ended his fights by submission and tko. Both the fighters were considered top 5 material at the time of their defeats. Both quality of opponents and method of victory are superior.

+2

then we get to couture.

Although he doesn't have a fantastic record he's known as a hard working, smart fighter. More than anything the "mystique" surrounding him is what he is most known for with monikers such as "captain america".

Brock lesnar on the other hand has a following and is a draw much larger than any current fighter in the ufc. His "mystique" comes from his ability to combine showmanship with raw athletic ability, and i know that no one ever comes away from his fights saying "boring". Coming from the wwe adds to his drawing power as well.

+2

so if he beats cain is he the greatest ufc hw champion of all-time? I'd say he already is.[/quote']

6 points

I buy. Not only would Brock be the first guy to defend the belt more than 2 times in a row' date=' but it would be the second time in a row he would be fighting an undefeated challenger.

+3 Great point

His first title defense was also against a former UFC champion in Frank Mir. The only other that comes close is Randy Couture, and he did hold the belt on 3 separate occasions, but the level of competition in the heavyweight division is now stronger than ever before.

+2

With another defense the collective record of the fighters he has defended his belt against is 34-6.

Meanwhile the fighters Couture has defended against have a collective record of 30-14

+3 for research

[/quote']

7 points. Sorry Bones thought you left. And missed it on the previous page.

Both fighters are undefeated in the UFC, but Sotiropolous has the brighter future. Oliveira has been impressive, but the level of competition he has faced has been subpar so far so it isnt right to crown him a future champion just yet. On the other hand, Sotiropolous has beaten more impressive opponents in Joe Stevenson and Kurt Pellegrino, to name a few. G-Sot also boasts a black belt in BJJ, while Oliveira holds a brown belt. Although Sotiropolous is older he has a better chance of rising the ranks in lightweight and becoming champion, seeing that he is one or two wins away from a number one contender fight.

Archived