Why are the Brits get it free and we don't???!!

MattN

The answer is obvious: Dana wants to establish MMA in England. To do that, he has to popularize it. To do that, he makes it free so more people will watch it. It's a business. MMA is already immensely popular in the US, so we have to pay for it, because he can get us to pay for it. If he made the Brits pay for it, not many would and it wouldn't gain popularity there very fast.

And if you're so worried about money, just go to your local sports bar. Done deal.

Bloody Brits always watch free on spike all the UFC events' date=' and in the states we have to pay a **** load to watch? Stop milking the fans here! Where's the fairness? This is discrimination, dammit![/quote']

We dont have spike over here and we get all UFC events free. Sucks to be a yank and a UFC fan dont it :P

Its like if your a drug dealer, your buisness goes bad unless you get people hooked on the ****. So you give out free samples and when people get hooked you start charging money. What i want to say with this is that Dana White is a dealer....

Btw im from Denmark and when Canal 9 ( the channel that shows UFC and TUF ) aint being retarded. We get it live for free aswell. MMA simply aint that big outside of US / Canada yet.

Its like if your a drug dealer' date=' your buisness goes bad unless you get people hooked on the ****. So you give out free samples and when people get hooked you start charging money. What i want to say with this is that Dana White is a dealer....

Btw im from Denmark and when Canal 9 ( the channel that shows UFC and TUF ) aint being retarded. We get it live for free aswell. MMA simply aint that big outside of US / Canada yet.[/quote']

Thats F-ed, in Oz we only get the UFC free if you have Fox, which is Pay TV.

Now not every1 can afford that.

Ok $50 a month doesnt sound alot. BUT to some people it is.

Im lucky to have Fox and not have to pay for tomorrows UFC.

And Dana you clown. Make ALL UFC events free in Oz.

Yours un-greatfully,

shinsplint.

Er, we (the UK) pay a subscription to ESPN monthly so we don't get it free. Check your facts.

As has been said, MMA is not a big deal over here so it will not go PPV any time soon as they won't make much money from it. I only know about 10 people who have even heard of UFC, let alone MMA in general.

yes over here we get a subscription service we have to pay something like ?15 a month to get ESPN to watch the UFC MMA LIve and so on

you dont get ESPN along with the basic sports package thus the extra ?15 a month there for roughly i have to pay aboot $28 a month for just the UFC i guess plus PPV is not very popular here

we wont even pay for boxing that often over here thats why we get it on sky sports now due to us not spending money on PPV's

the UFC may be the exact same plus i think the UFC gets a great deal from ESPN big bucks to get it on there channel

I wouldn't pay to stay up at 3am' date=' so thats one problem.

The other is that PPVs do not work in England and people don't want to pay for something we can get for free in other places.

Also another problem is that the UFC is not very popular in the UK atm.[/quote']

Dam and i thought people like me in Oz had it bad......

Bloody Brits always watch free on spike all the UFC events' date=' and in the states we have to pay a **** load to watch? Stop milking the fans here! Where's the fairness? This is discrimination, dammit![/quote']

techncally we pay ?12 a month for ESPN so if theres 2 events in one month thats like $10 each so your wrong ;) stop crying no one really cares...

Two reasons.

1. MMA is a growing sport in England and making people who've never watched it before pay ?40 for a PPV is NOT the way to go about marketing a sport and making it bigger.

2. The events air at 3-6 in the morning in the UK and the likelihood of people staying up that late AND paying for a PPV are slim.

Plus, it's not completely free. To access the events you need a Sky Subscription (anywhere between ?10 and ?40 per month) and an ESPN subscription (?11 a month).

So nobody has mentioned that once the contract with ESPN UK is up, there's a good chance that Zuffa will once again try making UFC events PPV in the UK again?

Can't see it working, for the obvious reasons many have already pointed out here, and certainly not for some of the cards that they put on, but just like boxing, if there is a really good card, many will still pay it and stay up late / get up early to watch it, just perhaps not enough to make it viable for the UK market.

Actually, we get the UFC events on ESPN, which is a subscription channel in the UK - it costs us about ?5 a month to watch UFC - this includes pay per views.

This is because the UFC is looking to build it's brand and the sport of MMA in general in the UK, and this requires widespread, low outlay TV exposure.

It's like the tactic of your average drug dealer, to draw you in with stuff which is cheap or free and then when you're hooked, ramp up the price.

The UFC (like WWE have known since the late 80s) realises there is a huge market to be tapped in the UK, and is trying to grow that market.

They'll be charging us the same prices as the states before long - don't worry.

I only hope we start getting decebt PPV cards (with someone other than backpedlar Bisping as the headline) by that time. As it is, I'm just happy to have a UFC at a sensible time of day for once...

Actually' date=' we get the UFC events on ESPN, which is a subscription channel in the UK - it costs us about ?5 a month to watch UFC - this includes pay per views.

[b']This is because the UFC is looking to build it's brand and the sport of MMA in general in the UK, and this requires widespread, low outlay TV exposure.[/b]

They were kinda desperate to find a broadcaster who would stump up a good enough offer after Setanta went bust in the UK. The so called bidding war between Virgin and Sky never came to anything, and ESPN UK snuck in the back door and stole it.

UFC has been PPV here before, but mostly just the events put on in the UK, which never generated much money for them. Zuffa will be taking a big gamble if they try to push for ALL UFC events to go to PPV over here, simply because of the time difference. Even with a following that would rival boxing, they'd still be very lucky to get anywhere near the figures they would hope for. The best option for them is simply hoping for a better deal from ESPN UK, Sky Sports, or possibly Virgin if they show any interest in the future.

Failing that, just like when Setanta went bust, Zuffa or someone else could consider trying to start a subscription based channel for MMA. Obviously Zuffa would be limited to UFC, WEC and all the old Pride stuff.

If someone else were to do it, they could possibly come to an arrangement with Zuffa to show their content, then talk to Strikeforce, Dream, Bellator and all the others.

Archived