UFC - StrikeForce

Vulq

Okay im kinda confused, cause im pretty sure that i heard that UFC is the only ones alowed to use the octagon. However i saw some strikeforce event and they are using it aswell. Does that mean they are paying a huge amount of money to the UFC to be alowed to use it ? Or is Strikeforce a part of the UFC ? Feel free to call me a **** etc. As long as you also write the answer to my question :)

Ufc does not prosecute any company for using the octagon as they want it to be the world wide stage for MMA.

Wrong the ufc own all rights to the octagon in mma aspect that is why other orgs use different shapes, pentagon, hexagons and circelss.

the ufc DO NOT allow other orgs to use a octagon

Strikeforce = hexagon, bellator = circle

i really don't like the octagon i believe it was made to give wreslers a advantage and maybe also for safty reasons but really do prefer a simple boxing ring as for your question here's a quote from wiki

The UFC stages bouts in an eight-sided enclosure officially named "The Octagon." It was first created and designed by Rorion Gracie of the fame Gracie family.[80] Originally, SEG trademarked the concept as well as the term and prevented other mixed martial arts promotions from using the same type of cage, but in 2001 Zuffa gave permission for other promotions to use octagonal cages, reasoning that the young sport needed uniformity to continue to win official sanctioning. Today Zuffa reserves exclusive use of the name "The Octagon".[81]

The UFC cage is an octagonal structure with walls of metal chain-link fence coated with black vinyl and a diameter of 32 ft (9.8 m), allowing 30 ft (9.1 m) of space from point to point. The fence is 5'6" to 5'8" high. The cage sits atop a platform, raising it 4 ft (1.2 m) from the ground. It has foam padding around the top of the fence and between each of the eight sections. It also has two entry-exit gates opposite each other.[82] The mat, painted with sponsorship logos and art, is replaced for each event.

i really don't like the octagon i believe it was made to give wreslers a advantage and maybe also for safty reasons but really do prefer a simple boxing ring as for your question here's a quote from wiki

pride ring was bigger than a boxing ring, and ya it didnt allow for boring cage holds . the size is what made it better.

pride ring was bigger than a boxing ring' date=' and ya it didnt allow for boring cage holds . the size is what made it better.[/quote']

I agree, Ive been watching a lot of the old pride fights recently and it really seemed to work better then the cage. Yea it meant some restarts when a fighters torso or head was past the ropes, but it allows the person with their back to the ropes room to throw power shots.

Plus it's much harder to hold a guy against ropes, so less stalling, which is great in my book.

Archived