Just to put some things into perspective about women fighters...

KansasCityKing

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/04/05/36899-national-guard-combatives-tournament-draws-record-field/

FORT BENNING, Ga. (Army News Service, April 5, 2010) -- A record number of entries showed up for the third annual Army National Guard Combatives Tournament - and a female Soldier from Idaho nearly stole the show.

Organizers from the Warrior Training Center said 132 Soldiers registered this year, but two states were unable to send their teams, leaving a field of 97 at Briant Wells Fieldhouse, home of the U.S. Army Combatives School. About 35 competitors turned out a year ago, while nearly 50 took part at the inaugural event in 2008.

The top four fighters in seven weight classifications moved on from Saturday's preliminary rounds, when limited striking was allowed under standard and intermediate rules. The cage was brought out for Sunday's third-place and finals bouts, where the Soldiers battled in three 5-minute rounds using advanced techniques.

This marked the first time a cage was used in a combatives tournament at the Army level, said Capt. Brian Deaton, officer in charge for the event and commander of the Warrior Training Center's A Company. The All-Army Combatives Championship has put its finalists in a ring but might start employing the structure this fall.

The talk of the tournament, however, was Spc. Elisha Helsper of the Idaho National Guard, who took on the men at flyweight and made history as the first woman to reach the finals of an Army combatives tournament.

"I came here expecting to take first," she said. "I felt like I should win it."

And why not? Helsper said she grew up on the mat and is known in Mixed Martial Arts circles. The 27-year-old wrestled for her high school varsity team and has a 6-2 mark in women's MMA, including two pro fights. Last November, she lost a unanimous decision to Zoila Frausto at the Strikeforce Challengers MMA event in Fresno, Calif., which aired on Showtime.

She dominated both of her matches Saturday but ran into Sgt. 1st Class Ryan Taniguchi of the Hawaii National Guard, a Level 4 combatives instructor, in the finals. He forced Helsper into defensive positions throughout the fight and kept up the pressure, landing a torrent of punches. But she didn't fold.

Theirs was the only title match Sunday to go the distance. After receiving the championship trophy, Taniguchi raised Helsper's hand in triumph.

"I feel honored to accomplish what I did," she said. "I don't think it's sunk in yet, but I got the bruises to prove it. I'm sure it'll hurt tomorrow."

Her face swollen as well, Helsper had a message for female Soldiers hesitant about combatives.

"You can do it. You've just gotta have heart and motivation," she said. "It's the Army values - never quit. That's what pushed me through it today."

"I love winning. I love competing ... The only thing different about this is I was competing against the males."

Part of me really want's to make fun of the National Guardsmen for losing to a woman. The other half of me is terrified that a chick like this is gonna kick my *** one day.

I have seen plenty of women who could kick my ****' date=' but yes they are usually in different weight classes and have a vastly different number of teeth.

Good on her,

as for the guys she beat they can always say I didn't want to punch a woman.[/quote']

Oh i thought we were talking about something else!!! :eek:

I have seen plenty of women who could kick my ****' date=' but yes they are usually in different weight classes and have a vastly different number of teeth.

Good on her,

as for the guys she beat they can always say I didn't want to punch a woman.[/quote']

The only time it's vaguely acceptable to lose a fight to a woman is when they are a hundred pounds heavier, psycho, biker, lesbian with a set of brass knuckles.

The guys that lost to a woman the same weight as them are going to have to do a lot of excellent man things in order to get their man cards reinstated.

The only time it's vaguely acceptable to lose a fight to a woman is when they are a hundred pounds heavier' date=' psycho, biker, lesbian with a set of brass knuckles.

The guys that lost to a woman the same weight as them are going to have to do a lot of excellent man things in order to get their man cards reinstated.[/quote']

Unless she plans to have her way with you if beaten.

Archived