Cain Isn't "Mexican" - Get It Straight

Pessimist_Pete

I hate to burst his bubble, but if Cain was born in the US, then he is Mexican-American. He isn't Mexican, unless he was born in Mexico.

I think what they are trying to emphasize is that he is Hispanic.

Also, as someone else astutely pointed out: Ricco Rodriguez (of Puerto Rican and Mexican decent) has already held the UFC Heavyweight Title.

So, to recap...Cain isnt "Mexican" and Ricco has already held the title. Come on UFC storyline writers - get your stuff together.

I hate to burst his bubble' date=' but if Cain was born in the US, then he is Mexican-American. He isn't Mexican, unless he was born in Mexico.

Also, as someone else astutely pointed out: Ricco Rodriguez (of Puerto Rican and Mexican decent) has already held the UFC Heavyweight Title.

So, to recap...Cain isnt "Mexican" and Ricco has already held the title. Come on UFC storyline writers - get your stuff together.[/quote']

Well said Petey . +1

I hate to burst his bubble' date=' but if Cain was born in the US, then he is Mexican-American. He isn't Mexican, unless he was born in Mexico.

So, to recap...Cain isnt "Mexican" and Ricco has already held the title. Come on UFC storyline writers - get your stuff together.[/quote']

Good post. I wish the thousands of American plastic paddys' would get this into their heads also.

HAHHA, can't argue that.

Good call... I forgot about Ricco. Someone email everyone at UFC HQ and tell them to stop all of their stupid "US vs Mexico" promo's. Just let them fight.

Cain has Mexican parents.

Cain IS Mexican!

He could be born on the moon but the fact is he is Mexican.

So he is called Mexican American because he was born in America, that means nothing tbh.

He has a Mexican mum and a Mexican Dad. This makes Cain............AMERICAN!!!!

ooops, sorry got it wrong, MEXICAN!!!!!!!

I love all the white kids from the suburbs on these forums talking about what it actually is to be Mexican.

The guy grew up with two parents straight from Mexico in an area highly populated with Mexicans. Yes, technically he is Mexican-American, no one is denying he it, but you are all kinda ignoring the "Mexican" part of that.

Cain IS Mexican!

So he is called Mexican American because he was born in America' date=' that means nothing tbh.

ooops, sorry got it wrong, [b']MEXICAN!!!!!!![/b]

This.

Mexican Americans - Cheech and Chong

Mexican Americans don't like to just get into gang fights,

they like flowers and music and white girls named Debbie too.

Mexican Americans are named Chata and Chella and chemma

and have a son in law named jeff.

Mexican Americans don't like to get up early in the morning

but they have to so they do it real slow.

Mexican Americans love education so they go to night school

and take spanish and get a B.

Mexican Americans love their Nana's and their Nono's and their

Nina's and their Nino's........ Nano Nano Nina Nono!

Mexican Americans don't like to go to the movies where the

dude has to wear contact lenses to make his blue eyes brown

cause don't it make my brown eyes blue.....

"And thats all i got, how do ya like it?"

*phone rings*

Mexican Americans like to answer telephone calls and say hello

to whoever's on the other end

Well Cain seems to identify himself with that culture. If his family came from Mexico and still has strong roots there then he would know best which culture he identifies with most. I know technically/legally he would be American if he was born here but I would want to be the guy to tell Cain that he ain't Mexican.:eek:

if cain was born in america from germans who imigrated here' date=' would we even be having this conversation? also im sure that if this were the olympics, cain would be on team USA.[/quote']

That would depend on his citizenship status. I'm assuming he has US citizenship since he was born there but having Mexican parents means he could have Mexican citizenship as well (assuming you can have dual US/Mexican citizenship?). That would allow him to compete for either country.

However, once you compete for a country in the Olympics that is the only one you can ever compete for. Brett Hull has dual US/Canadian citizenship and ended up playing for the US in Olympic hockey as he tried out for the Canadian squad but didn't make it. He vastly improved as a player later in his career but by then Canada had lost out and he was never able to compete for Canada.

hes mexican get over it

A Mexican is a citizen of Mexico and I would go so far as to say that a Mexican is also someone born in Mexico of Mexican parents. And since Mexican is not a race (nor is Hispanic) he can't consider himself Mexican via genetics, ancestry or anything else except maybe culturally, but all that means is he has Mexican heritage, which is not enough to say he is Mexican. I am a French citizen but not born in France and not of French parents so while I am a French citizen I do no consider myself as French. Besides, home is where the heart is and I'm pretty sure his home and heart are in the USA. This is all just a cynical attempt to cash in on the Mexican market.

No. He would have to be from Spain. You guys are confusing nationality with race. He could also be called Hispanic American.

Latin American is not a race, nor is Hispanic. There are only 3 races and these are not amongst them. Latin American denotes the area one comes from, Hispanic denotes the ethnicity.

Cain IS Mexican!

So he is called Mexican American because he was born in America' date=' that means nothing tbh.

ooops, sorry got it wrong, [b']MEXICAN!!!!!!![/b]

Wrong, it means he is of Mexican heritage.

The phrase "Mexican Champion" is not referring to another belt. It's a markeing slogan to lure people of Mexico and other Latin lineage to watch the figh.The UFC does not give a Mexican or American Title. It's the UFC title...period. Cain is however in a position to be a positive influence and an inspiration to those who share his national heritage. Mexican fans love him and Cain is striving to be a great role model. He's a class act. Not sure what the problem is.

A Mexican is a citizen of Mexico and I would go so far as to say that a Mexican is also someone born in Mexico of Mexican parents. And since Mexican is not a race (nor is Hispanic) he can't consider himself Mexican via genetics' date=' ancestry or anything else except maybe culturally, but all that means is he has Mexican heritage, which is not enough to say he is Mexican. I am a French citizen but not born in France and not of French parents so while I am a French citizen I do no consider myself as French. Besides, home is where the heart is and I'm pretty sure his home and heart are in the USA. This is all just a cynical attempt to cash in on the Mexican market.[/quote']

Once again, you're putting far to much emphasis on citizenship and being politically accurate. Which is all BS imo. I've never understood how Hispanic people can't be a "Race" or "Ethnicity". If that's the case, then what are Hispanics? Animals? I mean come on, that's ridiculous. I can't stand people who are obsessed with being politcally correct abouty stuff like this. It's annoying.

To be Mexican (just like to be African, or Italian, or Russian, or Puerto Rican, or whatever the case may be) means you have mexican parents or mexican blood in you're veins. You don't have to be born in Italy or a citizen of Italy. If both you're parents are Italian then you're bloodline is Italian. Making you...guess what...ITALIAN! And the same applies to everyone else.

My Dad is Puerto Rican and my mom is Panamian. I was born in Panama on a military base and my father is an American citizen being from Puerto Rico. So if you ask me what country I'm a citizen of I'm gonna say American. But if you ask me where I'm from or what I am, I'm gonna say Hispanic/Puerto Rican/Panama.

And if Cain's home and heart are in the USA then why is he boasting about doing this for all the Latinos in this country? Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about.

Latin American is not a race' date=' nor is Hispanic. There are only 3 races and these are not amongst them. Latin American denotes the area one comes from, Hispanic denotes the ethnicity.[/quote']

3 races..is this from Hitler's Encyclopedia? The US Census form has like 10 choices for race and a box for "other". White Black and Yellow are not all the races.

And if Cain's home and heart are in the USA then why is he boasting about doing this for all the Latinos in this country? Clearly' date=' you don't know what you're talking about.[/quote']

Really?? The UFC picked this year to target the hispanics. They started broadcasting in spanish and have been spoonfeeding Cain along the road to his title shot for awhile now.

He is boasting so much about doing this for the Latino's because thats how the UFC is marketing this matchup.

Hes a poster boy for a demographic, Cain "the mexican bisping" Velasquez.

Archived