White slams the door on Liddell vs. Ortiz 3

sobercuban

I'm not sure how I feel about this:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12917&zoneid=13

As Tito Ortiz prepares for what might be the biggest fight in his UFC career, against Matt Hamill this weekend at UFC 121 in Anaheim, Calif., fans are still clamoring for a fight that was set up to be the main event of UFC 115 between him and longtime rival Chuck Liddell.

Coming off of neck surgery and dropping out of the June fight with Liddell, Ortiz needs a strong performance against Hamill to maintain his career at the star level he's built up over the years, but there's still that looming question of a third fight with the former UFC light heavyweight champion.

On the most recent episode of ?The Ultimate Fighter," Liddell stopped by to see the newest participants on the show and of course the questions immediately came up about seeing him face Ortiz at some point down the road.

Liddell has never officially announced his retirement from the sport, but UFC president Dana White threw water on any potential rematch with Ortiz over the weekend in England.

A fan prompted White with the question asking after Ortiz faces Hamill could we see a final fight with him and Liddell.

"I don't want Chuck to fight anymore," White said. "Chuck's one of my good friends, and I don't want him to fight anymore."

Liddell looked to be in the best physical shape of his life in his last fight, against Rich Franklin in June, and he went as far as breaking the former middleweight champion's arm during the bout. Regardless of the performance, Liddell still found himself on the wrong end of yet another tough knockout, his third in a row.

There's little doubt that if the fight was an option, Liddell would likely jump at the chance to face Ortiz again. He's already finished the "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" twice before. Still, White says we've seen the last of Liddell, even with the rivalry still brewing.

"Chuck's been a warrior, he's been a great champion, and a great friend and a great partner," stated White. "I don't want to see it anymore."

Liddell has been traveling over the past couple of months and when doing a Q&A at the UFC Fan Expo in Boston in August, he said he would be making some decisions soon as far as his career goes. Everyone awaits the final word from the "Iceman," but it?s clear that White has already made up his mind.

Bahhhh WTF ever ......

unreal

good, imo it wouldnt real advance the division in anyway it would prove ine of two things

1.Ortiz is washed up and has no place in the sport anymore

2.Chick is washed up and time has caught up with him and can no longer compete

neither fighter gains from beating the other aside from bragging rights in the old folks home

good' date=' imo it wouldnt real advance the division in anyway it would prove ine of two things

neither fighter gains from beating the other aside from bragging rights in the old folks home[/quote']

yeah ... I guess as a Tito fan I should feel like it's party time:

titoortizx-inset-community.jpg

but just knowing that it "officially" won't happen is kinda a let down

This is good news for Tito, because it's not that Tito isn't better in his own right, it is just that Chuck is his kryptonite and will remain his kryptonite for all time.

Good news for Chuck in a sense too, saves him from being knocked out again... not by tito, By the man he faced after he fought Tito, because after he beat Tito he would want like a Rampage rematch or something.

I'm not sure how I feel about this:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12917&zoneid=13

Bahhhh WTF ever ......

unreal

Dana just scared of what Tito would do to Chuck now and what would happen if Chuck did not poke him in the eye in the first fight and blatantly ball shot tito in the second fight.

Chuck had to cheat to win and Tito wasnt 100% if he was Chuck would have gotten pounded out. Dana doesnt want Tito to prove that because that would prove everything he has been saying all these years and put a huge damper on Chuck's Legacy. :P

Dana just scared of what Tito would do to Chuck now and what would happen if Chuck did not poke him in the eye in the first fight and blatantly ball shot tito in the second fight.

Chuck had to cheat to win and Tito wasnt 100% if he was Chuck would have gotten pounded out. Dana doesnt want Tito to prove that because that would prove everything he has been saying all these years and put a huge damper on Chuck's Legacy. :P

We all know Dana is scared of ...

...THE TITO

mma_tito_ortiz1_576.jpg

This is good news for Tito' date=' because it's not that Tito isn't better in his own right, it is just that Chuck is his kryptonite and will remain his kryptonite for all time.

Good news for Chuck in a sense too, saves him from being knocked out again... not by tito, By the man he faced after he fought Tito, because after he beat Tito he would want like a Rampage rematch or something.[/quote']

Tito could knock him out I promise you, in the first two fights Tito dazed and stunned and possibely rocked him but didnt capitalize because he didnt want to get caught case chuck was playing possum. Tito would wreck Chuck now that he is 100%.:P

good' date=' imo it wouldnt real advance the division in anyway it would prove ine of two things

neither fighter gains from beating the other aside from bragging rights in the old folks home[/quote']

Tito is not washed up he would wreck Chuck and prove chuck is not his kryptonite.

csb1.jpg

As Tito Ortiz prepares for what might be the biggest fight in his UFC career, against Matt Hamill this weekend at UFC 121 in Anaheim, Calif., fans are still clamoring for a fight that was set up to be the main event of UFC 115 between him and longtime rival Chuck Liddell.

Coming off of neck surgery and dropping out of the June fight with Liddell, Ortiz needs a strong performance against Hamill to maintain his career at the star level he's built up over the years, but there's still that looming question of a third fight with the former UFC light heavyweight champion.

On the most recent episode of ?The Ultimate Fighter," Liddell stopped by to see the newest participants on the show and of course the questions immediately came up about seeing him face Ortiz at some point down the road.

Liddell has never officially announced his retirement from the sport, but UFC president Dana White threw water on any potential rematch with Ortiz over the weekend in England.

A fan prompted White with the question asking after Ortiz faces Hamill could we see a final fight with him and Liddell.

"I DON'T WANT Chuck to fight anymore," White said. "Chuck's one of my good friends, and I DON'T WANT him to fight anymore."

Liddell looked to be in the best physical shape of his life in his last fight, against Rich Franklin in June, and he went as far as breaking the former middleweight champion's arm during the bout. Regardless of the performance, Liddell still found himself on the wrong end of yet another tough knockout, his third in a row.

There's little doubt that if the fight was an option, Liddell would likely jump at the chance to face Ortiz again. He's already finished the "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" twice before. Still, White says we've seen the last of Liddell, even with the rivalry still brewing.

"Chuck's been a warrior, he's been a great champion, and a great friend and a great partner," stated White. "I DON'T WANT to see it anymore."

Liddell has been traveling over the past couple of months and when doing a Q&A at the UFC Fan Expo in Boston in August, he said he would be making some decisions soon as far as his career goes. Everyone awaits the final word from the "Iceman," but it?s clear that White has already made up his mind.

Do you see a pattern here?

Dana says repeatedly that HE doesn't WANT to see it. Nowhere in there does he say that it won't happen.

He also didn't WANT Liddell to fight again after the Rua fight. It still happened, though.

Not to say that he'll fight again, but this isn't exactly Dana saying that he won't.

Do you see a pattern here?

Dana says repeatedly that HE doesn't WANT to see it. Nowhere in there does he say that it won't happen.

He also didn't WANT Liddell to fight again after the Rua fight. It still happened' date=' though.

Not to say that he'll fight again, but this isn't exactly Dana saying that he won't.[/quote']

I just always figured Dana would make this fight happen ...

... win or lose I wanted this fight

I just always figured Dana would make this fight happen ...

... win or lose I wanted this fight

To be honest, I didn't really care to see it.

Liddell is one of my all-time favourites, and I love watching him fight, but when it was first announced, I really didn't care. To be honest, I think it's because I thought it wouldn't have done anything for Liddell's career.

Now, however, seeing as how he's on the verge of retirement, I think Ortiz is the perfect opponent for him to have as his retirement fight. Win or lose, that should be it. If he wins, he goes out on a high note, beating his arch-nemesis. If he loses, he would likely feel too ashamed to ever fight again.

This is a fight that almost everyone wants to see, and if Tito wins on Saturday (which he should), then I believe it should happen. It won't take much more than a little sh*t talk to get these two going.

To be honest' date=' I didn't really care to see it.

Liddell is one of my all-time favourites, and I love watching him fight, but when it was first announced, I really didn't care. To be honest, I think it's because I thought it wouldn't have done anything for Liddell's career.

Now, however, seeing as how he's on the verge of retirement, I think Ortiz is the perfect opponent for him to have as his retirement fight. Win or lose, that should be it. If he wins, he goes out on a high note, beating his arch-nemesis. If he loses, he would likely feel too ashamed to ever fight again.

This is a fight that almost everyone wants to see, and if Tito wins on Saturday (which he should), then I believe it should happen. It won't take much more than a little sh*t talk to get these two going.[/quote']

It would just be nice to see if they would bury the hatchet after a third fight .. Tito and Chuck haven't always hated each other....

tito_liddell_sparring2.jpg

That's some old-school sh*t right there' date=' man.

I think they might. Especially if Tito was able to last 3 rounds and Liddell retired right after.

Hell, I wouldn't doubt it if we saw Tito cry.[/quote']

yeah man ... Tito would cry for sure .. dude is definitely an emotional guy ... I'd have to admit I might get a little misty myself

ya these pics are crazy .. I stumbled across them awhile back ... Tito looks young as **** and Chuck looks exactly the same haha

tito_liddell_sparring3.jpg

tito_liddell_sparring1.jpg

yeah man ... Tito would cry for sure .. dude is definitely an emotional guy ... I'd have to admit I might get a little misty myself

ya these pics are crazy .. I stumbled across them awhile back ... Tito looks young as **** and Chuck looks exactly the same haha

tito_liddell_sparring3.jpg

tito_liddell_sparring1.jpg

that last pic is not PG rated :)

He doesn't want him to fight anymore because he is getting older and there are more new competitors in the sport who are capable of completely dominating Liddel.

Matt Hamill is a tough guy, but he does get in trouble when he is facing a guy who uses unorthodox striking, now Tito doesn't have that but he does have the double-legs/single-legs to get Hamill on the ground and submit him (his sub game is very underestimated, but in various videos he proves that he does have a clue and knows how to defend if he is on the ground) .

The thing with Ortiz is that he has great defense on the ground (just like Brock does) and he also has very dangerous GnP. The plan usually is to ware out the opponent and then explode after resting. Even when that is being done, one timed/accurate punch could end the fight so your most suitable option is to defend and try to get to the cage to wall-walk (or anything else that can get you back standing) .

Chuck still has the anxiousness to beat anyone, its just that when your crusted and too ****y anyone can land a lucky punch and beat you. He was dominating Franklin for a quarter of the round and one lucky FOF punch caught Chuck and ended the fight.

Chuck needs to capitalize his leg kicks (randomized algorithm if he is so worried about getting S/D-legged) . It can help shutdown a guy like Ortiz. The best plan is to kick, box, body strikes, and a push against the cage and pound out Ortiz. It has been successful in their past bouts and it probably will be successful now.

I just want to see the Hamill fight to get a glimpse of Ortiz, is he a washed-up choke artist or is he improved?

I don't like how he disrespected Hamill's health issues, nor do I like how he said he would kick the crap out of him, its just pure disrespect. You picked him as your number 1 choice and you brought him into your gym, so respect him. Obviously he has somewhat of a skill if Tito Ortiz picked him first.

But the creepy thing is that Ortiz won't feel bad this time, the other creepy thing is that he knows his strengths and weak-areas, and Ortiz is focusing on that too much. Outdated training doesn't always compare to upgraded training.

I like Liddel ' date=' i dont wanna see him with concussion for the rest of is life . He can represent the sport in many ways . White work on a new way to do TUF in every country . Liddel can be a realy good guys to train and come on the show .

He will always be the champion for me .[/quote']

^^this

I'm sure he can earn a paycheck anyway he wants.

Tito could knock him out I promise you' date=' in the first two fights Tito dazed and stunned and possibely rocked him but didnt capitalize because he didnt want to get caught case chuck was playing possum. Tito would wreck Chuck now that he is 100%.:P[/quote']

just livin the dream a buddy.

Tito could knock him out I promise you' date=' in the first two fights Tito dazed and stunned and possibely rocked him but didnt capitalize because he didnt want to get caught case chuck was playing possum. Tito would wreck Chuck now that he is 100%.:P[/quote']

Tito is ALWAYS 100%, until after he loses of course, then we find out he had a cracked skull, brokenn leg or his **** broke off in his wife's butt or something.

Tito is ALWAYS 100%' date=' until after he loses of course, then we find out he had a cracked skull, brokenn leg or his **** broke off in his wife's butt or something.[/quote']

holy ****!!!!!!! did you think of that by yourself???

I mean ... no one else in the history of the forum has ever come up with a piece of original thought THAT profound!

I congratulate you.

holy ****!!!!!!! did you think of that by yourself???

I mean ... no one else in the history of the forum has ever come up with a piece of original thought THAT profound!

I congratulate you.

This coming from the 3500+ post guy who has somehow never written one I can even remember. hah

Archived