Fighters benefiting from kicks and knees on the ground?

Illuminati1988

If UFC was to adopt pride/dream rules and fighters were allowed to kick and knee their opponents on the ground, which fighters do you think would benefit the most from this? I would assume strong wrestlers such as Lesnar, Koscheck, GSP, Fitch would become a lot more dangerous and perhaps a lot more fights would get finished. Imagine GSP dropping knees to Matt Serra's head instead of his body in their second fight..pretty graphic images come to my mind. However, there wouldn't be much use of this change for fighters who have no wrestling and are unable to take their opponents to the ground. What do you think?

If UFC was to adopt pride/dream rules and fighters were allowed to kick and knee their opponents on the ground' date=' which fighters do you think would benefit the most from this? I would assume strong wrestlers such as Lesnar, Koscheck, GSP, Fitch would become a lot more dangerous and perhaps a lot more fights would get finished. Imagine GSP dropping knees to Matt Serra's head instead of his body in their second fight..pretty graphic images come to my mind. However, there wouldn't be much use of this change for fighters who have no wrestling and are unable to take their opponents to the ground. What do you think?[/quote']

the rules already favour wrestlers why give them an ultra advantage?

Because UFC was created in order to see what would happen when you put fighters against each other in a real life situation. And in real life, knees and kicks would be used heavily. Why would you not want to see fighters knee and kick on the ground? A lot of people would stop complaining about Lay and Pray and there would be a lot more finishes...win, win if you ask me.

Because UFC was created in order to see what would happen when you put fighters against each other in a real life situation. And in real life' date=' knees and kicks would be used heavily. Why would you not want to see fighters knee and kick on the ground? A lot of people would stop complaining about Lay and Pray and there would be a lot more finishes...win, win if you ask me.[/quote']

true it would be good but it would never be sanctioned in America or Britain (maybe scotland)

but what i will say there was also only a hand full of strong wrestlers in Pride a hell of alot of BJJ practitioners and a hell of alot of strikers!

could they have been allowed to make it an even playing field for the strikers in Pride???? i mean if they managed to reverse position they would not know how to properly maintain a hold or that so it may have been to even the playing field on the ground! or it may just be for the excitement!

But rules in Asia are alot less strict than they are here!

It would be good to watch but alot more injurys would take place longer medical suspensions and struggling to find decent challengers for titles and that due to people being injured

there would be alot more cracked skulls broken orbital bones and so on so really i dont think it would be worth it!

Was excellent to watch though

true it would be good but it would never be sanctioned in America or Britain (maybe scotland)

but what i will say there was also only a hand full of strong wrestlers in Pride a hell of alot of BJJ practitioners and a hell of alot of strikers!

could they have been allowed to make it an even playing field for the strikers in Pride???? i mean if they managed to reverse position they would not know how to properly maintain a hold or that so it may have been to even the playing field on the ground! or it may just be for the excitement!

But rules in Asia are alot less strict than they are here!

It would be good to watch but alot more injurys would take place longer medical suspensions and struggling to find decent challengers for titles and that due to people being injured

there would be alot more cracked skulls broken orbital bones and so on so really i dont think it would be worth it!

Was excellent to watch though

Yeah I know it would be near impossible to get these rules sanctioned in The States. But it would be damn exciting to watch brutal fights again...would love to see Wandy and Shogun stomp the hell out of someone. A guy can dream......

Yeah I know it would be near impossible to get these rules sanctioned in The States. But it would be damn exciting to watch brutal fights again...would love to see Wandy and Shogun stomp the hell out of someone. A guy can dream......

i have a bone to pick with Wanderlei for that lol

When GSp fought in TKO knees to the head were allowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9bEbAb2DTQ&feature=related

Go to about 4:50 and see what GSP can do with knees on the ground.

Wow...was not aware that TKO allowed knees on the ground. Thanks for the link! G-Sot and GSP, in my opinion, are the best guard passers in the UFC. They could cause a whole lot of damage from side control if knees were permitted.

Haha you can't hate on Wanderlei for being his brutal self :)

Like Joe Rogan said in one of his fights' date=' he is a true treasure of MMA (or something to that extent)[/quote']

well its not that he stomped it was the finish of the Kondo fight that bothers me

Because UFC was created in order to see what would happen when you put fighters against each other in a real life situation. And in real life' date=' knees and kicks would be used heavily. Why would you not want to see fighters knee and kick on the ground? A lot of people would stop complaining about Lay and Pray and there would be a lot more finishes...win, win if you ask me.[/quote']

youre a tool. ufc was not created to real world fights. what do you want bats and 2x4's in there next, why not there out in the real world. with crap like you want this would still be back ally brawl there would be no tv show, or all the web. people that really want to see this stuff is the reason people say it will never make it all the way to main stream sports. grow up people do you want it to be a sport or just a fight. ufc is to test fighting styles

And the sport would no longer be sanctioned. Good idea, if you want to drive MMA back underground. But if you want to continue watching PPVs regularly on TV then you might want to reconsider.

youre a tool. ufc was not created to real world fights. what do you want bats and 2x4's in there next' date=' why not there out in the real world. with crap like you want this would still be back ally brawl there would be no tv show, or all the web. people that really want to see this stuff is the reason people say it will never make it all the way to main stream sports. grow up people do you want it to be a sport or just a fight. ufc is to test fighting styles[/quote']

UFC was created to showcase gracie jujitsu and evolved from there

And the sport would no longer be sanctioned. Good idea' date=' if you want to drive MMA back underground. But if you want to continue watching PPVs regularly on TV then you might want to reconsider.[/quote']

True today but I think we will see this start to change as MMA continues to become more mainstream and the old guard of politicians continues to be replaced.

In ~10 years I think we may see some major changes again.

If UFC was to adopt pride/dream rules and fighters were allowed to kick and knee their opponents on the ground' date=' which fighters do you think would benefit the most from this? I would assume strong wrestlers such as Lesnar, Koscheck, GSP, Fitch would become a lot more dangerous and perhaps a lot more fights would get finished. Imagine GSP dropping knees to Matt Serra's head instead of his body in their second fight..pretty graphic images come to my mind. However, there wouldn't be much use of this change for fighters who have no wrestling and are unable to take their opponents to the ground. What do you think?[/quote']

I dont know about u but im sure i can kill anybody with a soccer kick to the head or a knee .

I already break some jaw in Karate with only punch , i dont wanna kill somebody and this kind of hit for someone who train and know how to hit are lethal .

Anyone who think Kick and Knee should be allowed need to train and do some fight and learn there some hit u can kill with it .

you kidding me?

shogun is for me one of the greatest fighters in MMA of all time.

Have you ever seen any of his fights prior to his UFC debut?

Had you even heard of Shogun prior to UFC?

Do you know other mma organisations exist outside of UFC?

"Cause hes not popular"

Dont try and smear a TRUE Champion of this sport with this bullsh1t comment when your only speaking on your own behalf.

TRUE FANS OF MMA LOVE SHOGUN

you kidding me?

shogun is for me one of the greatest fighters in MMA of all time.

Have you ever seen any of his fights prior to his UFC debut?

Had you even heard of Shogun prior to UFC?

Do you know other mma organisations exist outside of UFC?

"Cause hes not popular"

Dont try and smear a TRUE Champion of this sport with this bullsh1t comment when your only speaking on your own behalf.

TRUE FANS OF MMA LOVE SHOGUN

Aint he the guy that almost got beat by the old man? What's his name matt collemen?

All I know he is champ now because of a lucky punch that anybody could get at any time!

I don?t think it would help wrestlers all that much, They shot for a take down miss and they are on the ground while the other guy is standing. A pretty terrible situation.

I kinda wish they did bring it in for title fights, if so Carwin would be sporting a nice shiny belt right now.

As to someone saying MMA is like two guys fighting in a street, I too had the same opinion so I am not having a go at you but fact is it isn?t and never will be. If I am in a street fight I wanted no part of I am going for all balls (Eyes and Nuts), Throat, back of the head etc. Incredibly effective targets that if hit correctly completely screw the other person up and most likely for some time to. No one is ever going to allow a sport where eye gauging is allowed.

I think points should be awarded for whenever you are standing and your opponent is not, ie failed take down or quick escape and up before the other.

Also you would have to do away with the cage and install ropes so fighters can get away when fearing for their god dam lives because someone is stomping their head or kneeing their head against a cage.

I can see why they where illegal in the good ole pride days but they shall never be coming back in the UFC maybe in some smaller orgs around asia Russia etc but it will never be mainstream and every company wants the mainstream $$$$$s.

Finally as someone said anyone who can pass guard really well would find it a huge advanatge.

Mainly GSP, he uses Knees to the shoulders pretty well and knees to the head would be much easier.

No UFC was created to see what martial art was the most effective...

Archived