Is the Welterweight division becoming the deepest, talent rich division in the UFC?

Exodus9mm

I'm starting to think so. In fact, I'm finding myself more and more excited at some of the future matchups we're going to see in this division.

Some of the best all-round, driven fighters reside at WW, and it's becoming extremely competitive.

Let's have a look at the big names that will be making this division shine for the next few years........

GSP - nuff said. 20 - 2. I don't like him on any level, but respect his talent and what he brings to any fight. I think he needs to fight a little more, but whatever. Some consider him the best P4P fighter on the planet (I don't, but he's definitely top 5). I think GSP needs to show a more aggressive side like he did early in his career. He does seem to be getting too comfortable doing what he does best. It works, but it's not building him the kind of fan base a dominant champion of his nature should have. No matter how you slice it, GSP is a beast, and right now, the best WW on the planet. That's a good start.

Jon Fitch. 23 - 3. Wow. A lot of people don't like Fitch because he doesn't appear to be looking to finish - and I can appreciate that. Nobody likes KO's or Subs more than I do. Oddly though, over the last 3/4 years, Fitch has become one of my favourite fighters. He is a friggin ACE at what he does. Completely dominating ground game, probably only trumped by GSP. Brings it every fight. He also might have the best entrance music in the UFC. :)

Josh Koscheck. 15 - 4. Love him or hate him, Josh Koscheck has become a serious threat in the division. When he first came on the scene, all he knew how to do was wrestle. I'm not a big fan, but have been hella impressed on how he has transitioned to an all-round threat. He's not afraid to strike, and he's always comfortable on the ground. I actually see him beating GSP in their upcoming match (just a gut feeling). He brings that much needed arsehole persona to the division. Keeps people on their toes.

Martin Kampmann. 17 - 3. This kid is my dark horse in the UFC. I've loved this guy since I saw a video of his fight with Foupa-Pokam back in 04. The majority of his career was spent at MW, but I think he made a wise decision in dropping down to WW. Easily one of the best all-round skillsets in the division. Great technical striking, great submission knowledge and a sick chin to boot. This kid can take a beat, and keep coming. I predict him to be WW champion in less than a year from now.

Carlos Condit. 26 - 5. We all saw Condit mangle Dan Hardy - at his own game. HUGE statement. Condit to me, is like a well rounded version of Jon Fitch. Like Kampmann, this guy is well versed in all areas of MMA, and also has a great chin. Former WEC champion. Like all of the others mentioned so far, Condit is another guy that comes to every fight ready for war. Condit could be another dark horse in the division. He poses a serious threat to any WW in the world right now.

Jake Shields. 25 - 4. Like GSP, Shields is a fighter I've never been a fan of. But I respect what he brings to any fight. Extremely intelligent fighter with supreme ground skills and good submissions as well. Coming to the UFC will be a big test for Shields, and I actually think he'll stumble in his first few fights. None the less, he's world class and like anyone mentioned so far, is a legit threat to any WW in the world.

Paulo Thiago. 13 - 2. I still think he's got a bit to prove to put himself in the true upper echelon of the division, but he's damn close. I think his utter beating at the hands of The Hitman will do wonders for Paulo. This guy is straight up tough as nails. Ready to bang, and a great submission game to boot. If he has the drive, he's got a good future ahead of him in the UFC (although, with the amount of talent he'll be facing, who knows how he'll evolve). Regardless, he's shown to be a formidable opponent for anyone in the division.

Just look at the W/L % of these guys. It's incredible. I don't know if any other division sports a roster with the kind of all-round dominating fighters WW does right now.

And I haven't even mentioned Dong Hyun Kim, Matt Hughes, Thiago Alves, Dan Hardy, Nate Diaz, Johnny Hendricks, Mike Swick, Amir Sadollah or Ricardo Almeida.

Without a doubt, these are some of the best all-round, diverse fighters right now. The level of competition is so close in here (minus GSP for some) it's hard to believe. There are a TON of immaculate matchups to be had here.

WW has always been low on my radar of favourite divisions to watch, but I have to say - over the last 2-3 years, it's quickly risen to become quite possibly, my favourite.

And, to the illiterate donkeys who have ADD, yeah we get it - you can't comprehend what you're reading if it's longer than 2 sentences. Grow a brain and move on.

Thoughts?

Right on!

My favorite weight class' date=' no doubt. And no, not only because GSP.

and to your good list I'll add Macdonald and Hathaway, who might have to prove themselves over time, but who are showing good potential.

Oh and this guy Pyle, not too shabby too :)[/quote']

Exactly. There's a ton of great prospects coming up like MacDonald and Hathaway as well.

Pyle is no noob - he's been around the block. And as a crafty vet, poses serious problems for almost anyone (As Hathaway just found out)

I made a thread saying that the champions that would likely hold their belts for awhile except the Light Heavy Weight Division.

Now that you mention this thread.It's opening my eyes to all the different match ups that will make it very interesting in the future.GSP has been dominating the division,but from the list you made.There are a lot of threats for GSP.The skillset in WW is astonishing.

I personally don't think Kos will dethrone GSP.So who will if he doesn't?

Anyways back to the op.Great read.Relieving seeing a logical thread being made.I didn't really think about the WW division being so exciting in the future till I read this.I knew it would be interesting.I just figured GSP would dominate for awhile.After reading and realizing GSP could have his hands full in the future.Let's hope he doesn't retire soon just cause he feels so dominant.I'd love to see him against most of the guys in the WW division,and he has a long ways before he really clears it(WW division.) when you think about it.

I made a thread saying that the champions that would likely hold their belts for awhile except the Light Heavy Weight Division.

Now that you mention this thread.It's opening my eyes to all the different match ups that will make it very interesting in the future.GSP has been dominating the division' date='but from the list you made.There are a lot of threats for GSP.The skillset in WW is astonishing.

I personally don't think Kos will dethrone GSP.So who will if he doesn't?

Anyways back to the op.Great read.Relieving seeing a logical thread being made.I didn't really think about the WW division being so exciting in the future till I read this.I knew it would be interesting.I just figured GSP would dominate for awhile.After reading and realizing GSP could have his hands full in the future.Let's hope he doesn't retire soon just cause he feels so dominant.I'd love to see him against most of the guys in the WW division,and he has a long ways before he really clears it(WW division.) when you think about it.[/quote']

I think it's going to take a full moon and a bit of luck for anyone to beat GSP. In reality, he is ahead of this pack of talent. Which is saying something.

But, Serra did it. I think others could do the same. I think it's going to have to be another top notch grappler, or well-rounded fighter like Condit or Kampmann to do it.

Even if GSP does hold the title for some time longer, regardless, the contender fights will be fantastic :)

WW may have a deep pool of talents

but still they don't have a "Jon Jones" in their division

LHW still for me... IMO

always watching every match at LHW

I feel the Bones call........friggin love him. If he wants it, he could become the most dominant fighter the organization has ever seen.

Besides the HW division which is getting better I would say every division is pretty damn stacked.

I used to think MW wasn't that deep but, that was probably because I didn't pay much attention to it in the UFC because of Andersons dominance but, in reality it's still a very stacked division. LW in my mind has always been very deep in talent I could see some arguing that it's the most stacked.

WW may have a deep pool of talents

but still they don't have a "Jon Jones" in their division

LHW still for me... IMO

always watching every match at LHW

Exactly they're really isn't a Charles Oliviera or Jon Jones or Ryan Bader in WW that's the problem, John Hathaway looked like he was on his way but Pyle just beat him. Could see Hendricks becoming a prospect but hes won like 4 straight in the UFC and 2 before in the WEC and he is givin nothing but under cards and no hype

IMO LHW is the most talent rich and even division.

Very debatable topic.

I think it is close between LHW and WW. I think a big reason why people lean towards LHW is because there hasn't been a dominant champ in LHW since Chuck lost the belt, meanwhile we all know what GSP has done at at WW over the last couple of years. I think having a dominant champ at the top makes people perceive the division as being weaker.

I think it is close between LHW and WW. I think a big reason why people lean towards LHW is because there hasn't been a dominant champ in LHW since Chuck lost the belt' date=' meanwhile we all know what GSP has done at at WW over the last couple of years. I think having a dominant champ at the top makes people perceive the division as being weaker.[/quote']

Excellent point.

I'm starting to think so. In fact' date=' I'm finding myself more and more excited at some of the future matchups we're going to see in this division.

Some of the best all-round, driven fighters reside at WW, and it's becoming extremely competitive.

Let's have a look at the big names that will be making this division shine for the next few years........

GSP - nuff said. 20 - 2. I don't like him on any level, but respect his talent and what he brings to any fight. I think he needs to fight a little more, but whatever. Some consider him the best P4P fighter on the planet (I don't, but he's definitely top 5). I think GSP needs to show a more aggressive side like he did early in his career. He does seem to be getting too comfortable doing what he does best. It works, but it's not building him the kind of fan base a dominant champion of his nature should have. No matter how you slice it, GSP is a beast, and right now, the best WW on the planet. That's a good start.

Jon Fitch. 23 - 3. Wow. A lot of people don't like Fitch because he doesn't appear to be looking to finish - and I can appreciate that. Nobody likes KO's or Subs more than I do. Oddly though, over the last 3/4 years, Fitch has become one of my favourite fighters. He is a friggin ACE at what he does. Completely dominating ground game, probably only trumped by GSP. Brings it every fight. He also might have the best entrance music in the UFC. :)

Josh Koscheck. 15 - 4. Love him or hate him, Josh Koscheck has become a serious threat in the division. When he first came on the scene, all he knew how to do was wrestle. I'm not a big fan, but have been hella impressed on how he has transitioned to an all-round threat. He's not afraid to strike, and he's always comfortable on the ground. I actually see him beating GSP in their upcoming match (just a gut feeling). He brings that much needed arsehole persona to the division. Keeps people on their toes.

Martin Kampmann. 17 - 3. This kid is my dark horse in the UFC. I've loved this guy since I saw a video of his fight with Foupa-Pokam back in 04. The majority of his career was spent at MW, but I think he made a wise decision in dropping down to WW. Easily one of the best all-round skillsets in the division. Great technical striking, great submission knowledge and a sick chin to boot. This kid can take a beat, and keep coming. I predict him to be WW champion in less than a year from now.

Carlos Condit. 26 - 5. We all saw Condit mangle Dan Hardy - at his own game. HUGE statement. Condit to me, is like a well rounded version of Jon Fitch. Like Kampmann, this guy is well versed in all areas of MMA, and also has a great chin. Former WEC champion. Like all of the others mentioned so far, Condit is another guy that comes to every fight ready for war. Condit could be another dark horse in the division. He poses a serious threat to any WW in the world right now.

Jake Shields. 25 - 4. Like GSP, Shields is a fighter I've never been a fan of. But I respect what he brings to any fight. Extremely intelligent fighter with supreme ground skills and good submissions as well. Coming to the UFC will be a big test for Shields, and I actually think he'll stumble in his first few fights. None the less, he's world class and like anyone mentioned so far, is a legit threat to any WW in the world.

Paulo Thiago. 13 - 2. I still think he's got a bit to prove to put himself in the true upper echelon of the division, but he's damn close. I think his utter beating at the hands of The Hitman will do wonders for Paulo. This guy is straight up tough as nails. Ready to bang, and a great submission game to boot. If he has the drive, he's got a good future ahead of him in the UFC (although, with the amount of talent he'll be facing, who knows how he'll evolve). Regardless, he's shown to be a formidable opponent for anyone in the division.

Just look at the W/L % of these guys. It's incredible. I don't know if any other division sports a roster with the kind of all-round dominating fighters WW does right now.

And I haven't even mentioned Dong Hyun Kim, Matt Hughes, Thiago Alves, Dan Hardy, Nate Diaz, Johnny Hendricks, Mike Swick, Amir Sadollah or Ricardo Almeida.

Without a doubt, these are some of the best all-round, diverse fighters right now. The level of competition is so close in here (minus GSP for some) it's hard to believe. There are a TON of immaculate matchups to be had here.

WW has always been low on my radar of favourite divisions to watch, but I have to say - over the last 2-3 years, it's quickly risen to become quite possibly, my favourite.

And, to the illiterate donkeys who have ADD, yeah we get it - you can't comprehend what you're reading if it's longer than 2 sentences. Grow a brain and move on.

Thoughts?[/quote']

At this point in time i firmly believe the Welterweight division to be by far the deepest talent pool. I firmly believe within the next year, The title will switch hands very frequently, Al thought GSP is an amazing fighter, i dont think with all the depth and talent of the division that he can stay atop it for much longer, once the GSP era ends i dont see anyone getting over two title defenses at welterweight.

I totaly agree with everything you say.

And WW is my favourite weight class over all because of the pace of the fights and you see a lot of nice knockouts and submissions.

Btw. GSP vs Koschek is going to be a great fight, can't wait for that one!

Hey Ex' date=' I never got a chance to tell you something because i've been away for a bit but....You're boy was juiced up and couldn't beat my boy while he was injured...Just wanted to say HA and HA.[/quote']

I hate Chael Sonnen. I called it on style. And my prediction was the most accurate representation of the fight of anyone on the site.

Speaking of which, has there been any news on what Chael was on?

I hate Chael Sonnen. I called it on style. And my prediction was the most accurate representation of the fight of anyone on the site.

Speaking of which' date=' has there been any news on what Chael was on?[/quote']

Not that i've heard...He was probably on the same **** that gives Cyborg all her beauty and feminine qualities.

Not to most it hasn't. LHW has pretty much always been looked at as the most competitive division.

most people are dumb. also "competitive" doesn't mean big talent. you could put a bunch of crappy fighters in a division and it would be competitive. i'd agree it is the most competitive becuase there's no one that shines above everyone else and the belt is always switching waists. that will change when jon jones is champion though.

I NEVER understood why people think 205 is so stacked. it's in the middle. 55 and 70 are both much deeper with 185 being the weakest then heavyweight.

205 has a bunch of huge names becuase most people are more interested in bigger guys - this has been the case since the begining of fight history. look at it this way WHO at 205 is even a legit top 5 LB for LB guy. nobody. shogun could potentially be but he never fights. it's just a bunch of huge names that in reality aren't that good. 170 was by far the deepest even without shields. 205 definitely has the biggest names and that's why it's so hyped, but it doesn't mean they're the best fighters.

it should tell you something when the 185 champ moves up and EMBARASSES a former 205 champ who is still in his prime.

I'm starting to think so. In fact' date=' I'm finding myself more and more excited at some of the future matchups we're going to see in this division.

Thoughts?[/quote']

And with a division that competitive it could be a long time before LnP Fitch forces Dana to give him a title shot ; )

I think it is close between LHW and WW. I think a big reason why people lean towards LHW is because there hasn't been a dominant champ in LHW since Chuck lost the belt' date=' meanwhile we all know what GSP has done at at WW over the last couple of years. I think having a dominant champ at the top makes people perceive the division as being weaker.[/quote']

Well said.

LHW has always been touted as the deepest' date=' but right now, I think it's behind WW. Definitely debateable though.[/quote']

Just to compare..

Mauricio Rua: 19-4

Lyoto Machida: 16-1

Rashad Evans: 15-1-1

Quinton Jackson: 30-8

Forrest Griffin: 17-6

Ryan Bader: 12-0

Jon Jones: 11-1

Rich Franklin: 28-5

Rogerio Nogueira: 19-4

Thiago Silva: 14-2

LHW's got some damn good competition, too!

I dont know why but i think WW is the second most boring div. in UFC right after LW....It's all just grapplers and no really good stand up guys(just Kampmann and Alves are worthy to mention) and theyre not putting a good show everytime....I dont say that theyre not talented or good,they are,and they are also very young(i think that WW even has the youngest fighters that are really dominating) but they're just not taking much risks and are just using that what they can do,only Hughes is really putting a good show everytime,because he's pretty much old and experienced and knows what and when something use,so he is taking risks all the time....and no,im not his fan(but i respect him)

and also-im Parisyan's(also WW) biggest fan ever so this is really just what i think about WW division

i think that HW div. is the most exciting divison-justt think about it, Carwin-pure wrestler,but a KO machine,Velasquez-pure wrestler,another KO machine,HW guys always takes risks and try to KO the guy and most of HW guys are good at stand-up and on the ground at the same time,even Frank Mir is mostly standing and he's ranked as one of the best HW grapplers in the world....

I dont know why but i think WW is the second most boring div. in UFC right after LW....It's all just grapplers and no really good stand up guys(just Kampmann and Alves are worthy to mention) and theyre not putting a good show everytime....I dont say that theyre not talented or good' date='they are,and they are also very young(i think that WW even has the youngest fighters that are really dominating) but they're just not taking much risks and are just using that what they can do,only Hughes is really putting a good show everytime,because he's pretty much old and experienced and knows what and when something use,so he is taking risks all the time....and no,im not his fan(but i respect him)

and also-im Parisyan's(also WW) biggest fan ever so this is really just what i think about WW division

i think that HW div. is the most exciting divison-justt think about it, Carwin-pure wrestler,but a KO machine,Velasquez-pure wrestler,another KO machine,HW guys always takes risks and try to KO the guy and most of HW guys are good at stand-up and on the ground at the same time,even Frank Mir is mostly standing and he's ranked as one of the best HW grapplers in the world....[/quote']

yes if your looking for standup dominance than the WW is terrible but the LW has many standup greats, Bj Penn and Frankie Edgar alone show great standup.

yes if your looking for standup dominance than the WW is terrible but the LW has many standup greats' date=' Bj Penn and Frankie Edgar alone show great standup.[/quote']

Im not just looking for stand up fighters,im looking for a real MM artists,that means all style fighters,and in WW are just one dimensional fighters

Im not just looking for stand up fighters' date='im looking for a real MM artists,that means all style fighters,and in WW are just one dimensional fighters[/quote']

GSP has it all.

Fitch has decent striking to go with his superb ground game. Same goes for Kos.

Kampmann is extremely well-rounded. Carlos Condit is the next WW champ.

WW's are NOT one-dimensional.

Im not just looking for stand up fighters' date='im looking for a real MM artists,that means all style fighters,and in WW are just one dimensional fighters[/quote']

I totally disagree with the one dimension-ness comment.

I know it's your opnion/my opinion, but WW and LW provided some of the best fights in recent memory... That cannot really be said about the HWs unfortunately...

lesnar carwin was awesome......what fight were you watching?

I was watching Mir/Mirko. I also saw Nelson/JDS and Congo/Browne. All action packed, very diverse and exciting.

Did you catch the Condit/Hardy by the way? I heard that one rocked! (no pun intended) ;) I heard that Pyle/Hathaway wasn't too shabby either...

I was watching Mir/Mirko. I also saw Nelson/JDS and Congo/Browne. All action packed' date=' very diverse and exciting.

Did you catch the Condit/Hardy by the way? I heard that one rocked! (no pun intended) ;)[/quote']

Yes, i watched condit hardy (dammit)......i agree most hw fights are pretty boring, but not lesnar's.........anyone who says lesnar fights are boring are just hatin'

Archived