170 - Number One Contender.

FALLEN

I don't know for sure, if someone else has already suggested this, but I was thinking that the number one contender for the Welterweight division should be determined between the winners of:

BJ Penn vs. Matt Hughes. & Jake Shields (presuming he wins against Kampmann) vs. Jon Fitch.

- If BJ can defeat Hughes, and then either the winner of Shields or Fitch, that would most likely line him up for a 3rd defeat against St-Pierre ;)

- Hughes is well on his way to another title shot. If he defeats BJ, there's 4 straight wins, which should line him up.... For a 3rd defeat against St-Pierre ;)

- Jon Fitch complains too much about wanting his title shot again. Yes, he somewhat deserves it. But the UFC is stalling for the fans, because 90+% of us REALLY do not want to see that fight again. Nothing will change.

- Jake Shields may be coming off of a "destruction" of Dan Henderson, but he should really test the waters a bit. If he gets through Kampmann, meh. If he gets through Fitch, cool. If he gets through Penn/Hughes, you got a very swell contender.

I don't know for sure' date=' if someone else has already suggested this, but I was thinking that the number one contender for the Welterweight division should be determined between the winners of:

BJ Penn vs. Matt Hughes. & Jake Shields (presuming he wins against Kampmann) vs. Jon Fitch.

- If BJ can defeat Hughes, and then either the winner of Shields or Fitch, that would most likely line him up for a 3rd defeat against St-Pierre ;)

- Hughes is well on his way to another title shot. If he defeats BJ, there's 4 straight wins, which should line him up.... For a 3rd defeat against St-Pierre ;)

- Jon Fitch complains too much about wanting his title shot again. Yes, he somewhat deserves it. But the UFC is stalling for the fans, because 90+% of us REALLY do not want to see that fight again. Nothing will change.

- Jake Shields may be coming off of a "destruction" of Dan Henderson, but he should really test the waters a bit. If he gets through Kampmann, meh. If he gets through Fitch, cool. If he gets through Penn/Hughes, you got a very swell contender.[/quote']

14 consecutive wins is testing enough Jake has been around awhile and TBH he wins this weekened he will be a draw for those that are new to Jake Sheilds and the UFC will have no problems in promoting him in a title fight were as if he wins the faces a few top 10 guys and loses 1 or 2 times he will just end up with all the other 170's .

The UFC are banking on him winning cause they know how to Market his Title run already.

14 consecutive wins is testing enough Jake has been around awhile and TBH he wins this weekened he will be a draw for those that are new to Jake Sheilds and the UFC will have no problems in promoting him in a title fight were as if he wins the faces a few top 10 guys and loses 1 or 2 times he will just end up with all the other 170's .

The UFC are banking on him winning cause they know how to Market his Title run already.

Very true, I agree with what you're saying. It just bugs me when guys get title shots after one or two opponents. I like Shields, he's a very good fighter. I'd just like to see him go through some more stiff competition before GSP.

The first time I saw Shields fight, was against Paul Daley. I don't remember if it was Strikeforce, or EliteXC. Either way, I do find him impressive. I guess what I'm trying to say for Shields is, he should fight a guy that is also in title contention.

Obviously you have not followed jake Shields. His striking is meh his wrestling is great and his BJJ is as good or not the best of anyones in the 170 diviision but hey you have your opinons so we will leave it at that

^^^^ refering to FGF's post

I have seen many of his fights. Yeah his BJJ and wrestling are outstanding but I think Kampmann will beat him. Kampmann IMO Is the most underrated fighter in the UFC.

Lol at BJ Penn being anywhere near title contention at welterweight. I'll be surprised if he makes it past Hughes but there is no way in hell he'd ever get past guys like Fitch, Alves, Koscheck or Shields and after losing to him the first time and then being utterly humiliated by St. Pierre last time it's safe to say that we know how that rubbermatch would end.

BJ Penn a contender at welterweight, ha!

What a f'ing joke :)

Archived