Coutures Last Fight.

BodyModifier

20100822011442_7DEG88182.JPG

, via MMA30 Radio, speculated recently that the next phase of his life will likely involve acting and that he’s not quite sure how many fights he’s got left.

“I’m trying to see how many wars I have left in me,” he said. “We’ll just see what happens.”

While James Toney might be a bizarrely appropriate end to Couture’s career -- he more than anyone deserved to pound a nail into boxing on tenure alone -- that doesn’t seem realistic; neither does another run at a 205-pound title against athletes who are significantly faster on the trigger.

Better to leave Couture at the junction of marketable fights and competitive fights: rematches with Tito Ortiz or Chuck Liddell, the latter being the only fight that wouldn’t involve serious head trauma for Liddell.

It’s all just busy work anyway: acting gigs or not, it’s probably inevitable that Couture will become the oldest man in the Octagon the year he turns 51. No one from Couture to the promotion is going to let that birthday pass without a fight.

Now it's been talked that Randy wants to fight Anderson Silva.How does everyone feel about this match up.Also a fight with Fedor has been rumored..Any other suggestions?

Randy Couture has proven he is a legend of the sport.Whether you want to bash his past 3 fights or not.He's a threat to any fighter.At his age to be able to go out there and compete with young hungry lions far younger than him is very impressive.

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-10-12#27452

' date=' via MMA30 Radio, speculated recently that the next phase of his life will likely involve acting and that he?s not quite sure how many fights he?s got left.

?I?m trying to see how many wars I have left in me,? he said. ?We?ll just see what happens.?

While James Toney might be a bizarrely appropriate end to Couture?s career -- he more than anyone deserved to pound a nail into boxing on tenure alone -- that doesn?t seem realistic; neither does another run at a 205-pound title against athletes who are significantly faster on the trigger.

Better to leave Couture at the junction of marketable fights and competitive fights: rematches with Tito Ortiz or Chuck Liddell, the latter being the only fight that wouldn?t involve serious head trauma for Liddell.

It?s all just busy work anyway: acting gigs or not, it?s probably inevitable that Couture will become the oldest man in the Octagon the year he turns 51. No one from Couture to the promotion is going to let that birthday pass without a fight.

[b']Now it's been talked that Randy wants to fight Anderson Silva.How does everyone feel about this match up.Also a fight with Fedor has been rumored.I personally think back in their primes it would have been a stellar match up.Any other suggestions?

Randy Couture has proven he is a legend of the sport.Whether you want to bash his past 3 fights or not.He's a threat to any fighter.At his age to be able to go out there and compete with young hungry lions far younger than him is very impressive.[/b]

I'd love to see him fight Anderson or Fedor.

I don't think there is any way he could beat Fedor. It's nearly impossible. Fedor has better TD's and TD defense. He's far better on the ground and a lot better standing up.

you must be new here,let me show you around...this is called MMA where ANYTHING can happen,ala does the name werdum come to mind hmm,or edgar vs penn twice,silva against sonnen etc

you must be new here' date='let me show you around...this is called MMA where ANYTHING can happen,ala does the name werdum come to mind hmm,or edgar vs penn twice,[b']silva against sonnen[/b] etc

I'm positive the favourite won that fight, without cheating, maybe my information is faulty...

you must be new here' date='let me show you around...this is called MMA where ANYTHING can happen,ala does the name werdum come to mind hmm,or edgar vs penn twice,silva against sonnen etc[/quote']

I said nearly, not completely.

And yeah anything can happen, but how could Couture win?

and don't think that im like a Fedor **** or a Couture hater.

I said nearly' date=' not completely.

And yeah anything can happen, but how could Couture win?

and don't think that im like a Fedor **** or a Couture hater.[/quote']

well ok bj penn has the best takedown defence in all of mma,and is the best boxer in all of mma (freddie roach) and at least in the LW division,i mean how was edgar suppose to win,well he outboxed bj and took him down...and yeah by all means fedor SHOULD win,but randy has been doing this a long time and is a great strategist and comes up with excellent gameplans

Lol' date=' only prob is Randy aint got no subs..... :P[/quote']

Yeah these idiots are so dumb. Randy is not the 2009 ADCC open weight champion. Werdum has some of if not the very best BJJ in the HW division. It's not like Couture is going to pull off a triangle after getting knocked down. If Randy doesn't go completely out from a standing shot he will be pounded out in one or two punches on the ground.

If you wanna see how Randy ends up in the very first round against Fedor go watch Liddell/Couture 2.

Yeah these idiots are so dumb. Randy is not the 2009 ADCC open weight champion. Werdum has some of if not the very best BJJ in the HW division. It's not like Couture is going to pull off a triangle after getting knocked down. If Randy doesn't go completely out from a standing shot he will be pounded out in one or two punches on the ground.

If you wanna see how Randy ends up in the very first round against Fedor go watch Liddell/Couture 2.

Hook, line and sinker Corporal. :)

I'd like to see Couture vs Fedor... it's the fight he wanted when he was champ and if (the BIG, highly unlikely if... but still...) the UFC were to welcome Fedor, I think Couture would be a good debut for Fedor and would be a massive draw... and although Couture would be the underdog, I think he would want his fight to be a challenge, and not against a slouch or someone far long passed their prime...

But since Couture vs Fedor is that unlikely, Couture vs Franklin would be great as well, since Franklin is still very much competitive and not a slouch by any means...

I agree with whoever said that the people doubting randy are stupid. Fedor v Couture would be an absolute kill in ratings, and IMO would be an amazing fight. It's Randy and Fedor.... how can you think either of them is gonna get handled? I'd predict an insane war, if it actually were to happen.

Randy would loose to both silva and fedor. But he would fight with his heart and make either fight competitive. Seriously anyone who thinks fedor would just toss Randy aside is an absolute moron. Randy would give both silva and fedor a tough time.

I would like to disagree.Silva had a hard time with Chael.Silva was never amazing on the ground.Sure he showed some submissions but he's not comfortable there.He's mediocre.Nog brothers handed him his black belt a little early.He has good submissions but it's no top level.So I could see Randy beating Silva in the clinch and on the ground.Just smothering him to a decision.

You might say.Anderson Silva could beat Randy in the clinch with his Muay Thai Clinch.I think Randy would just keep his head pressed against Anderson's body and dirty box him in close to the cage.Just keep pressing and pulling him to the mat.

Randy/Fedor I have Fedor winning but it wouldn't be easy.If this fight was set up years ago it would have been better. Just my thoughts.

' date=' via MMA30 Radio, speculated recently that the next phase of his life will likely involve acting and that he?s not quite sure how many fights he?s got left.

?I?m trying to see how many wars I have left in me,? he said. ?We?ll just see what happens.?

While James Toney might be a bizarrely appropriate end to Couture?s career -- he more than anyone deserved to pound a nail into boxing on tenure alone -- that doesn?t seem realistic; neither does another run at a 205-pound title against athletes who are significantly faster on the trigger.

Better to leave Couture at the junction of marketable fights and competitive fights: rematches with Tito Ortiz or Chuck Liddell, the latter being the only fight that wouldn?t involve serious head trauma for Liddell.

It?s all just busy work anyway: acting gigs or not, it?s probably inevitable that Couture will become the oldest man in the Octagon the year he turns 51. No one from Couture to the promotion is going to let that birthday pass without a fight.

[b']Now it's been talked that Randy wants to fight Anderson Silva.How does everyone feel about this match up.Also a fight with Fedor has been rumored.I personally think back in their primes it would have been a stellar match up.Any other suggestions?

Randy Couture has proven he is a legend of the sport.Whether you want to bash his past 3 fights or not.He's a threat to any fighter.At his age to be able to go out there and compete with young hungry lions far younger than him is very impressive.[/b]

I think calling out Anderson Silva would be a foolish move and would probly earn him a very humiliating and bitter end to his carreer.. Randy is probly in the top 100 of the most athletic guys over 45 in the world but he'll still be less and less competitive as time goes on.

Acting could be a good option for him or he would probly be very succesful as a coach or head trainer. He has a lot of experience and no1 can deny his knowledge of the sport and his capacity to implement good gameplans. His intelligence is most likely what has kept him in top competition recently. A fight with Fedor would probly not be a great move either.

As it is stated above, I think that for the rest of his carreer he should stick to HoF fights like against Liddell and guys like that.. that seems a reasonnable option. Don't forget that Randy isn't full of himself and knows his limits. He's the one to bring up his retirement to the table even when people get all hyped and are asking for more.

I wouldn't be so sure about that Randy doesn't possess KO power standing and Chuck obviously does considering he knocked him completely the **** out twice in brutal fashion.

Randy would just smother Chuck for 3 rounds. I know Chuck has good TDD...

Then again Randy could TKO Chuck. It doesnt seem too hard these days.

And sorry for stirring you earlier. :)

. Don't forget that Randy isn't full of himself and knows his limits. He's the one to bring up his retirement to the table even when people get all hyped and are asking for more.

So true.Randy is the face of the UFC.I don't care if people say Brock is or this or that.I think Randy is a true class character.Who deserves all the legendary status that has came in his career.

I would like to disagree.Silva had a hard time with Chael.Silva was never amazing on the ground.Sure he showed some submissions but he's not comfortable there.He's mediocre.Nog brothers handed him his black belt a little early.He has good submissions but it's no top level.So I could see Randy beating Silva in the clinch and on the ground.Just smothering him to a decision.

You might say.Anderson Silva could beat Randy in the clinch with his Muay Thai Clinch.I think Randy would just keep his head pressed against Anderson's body and dirty box him in close to the cage.Just keep pressing and pulling him to the mat.

Randy/Fedor I have Fedor winning but it wouldn't be easy.If this fight was set up years ago it would have been better. Just my thoughts.

I'm not even gonna get into the first two paragraphs because I disagree, and the fight will never ever happen. Although, if the Fedor Couture fight were to happen years ago, I'm thinking they'd be in different situations then they are now. Would've been a legendary fight for the ages though :(

I'm not even gonna get into the first two paragraphs because I disagree' date=' and the fight will never ever happen. Although, if the Fedor Couture fight were to happen years ago, I'm thinking they'd be in different situations then they are now. Would've been a legendary fight for the ages though :([/quote']

I don't know.I just see Randy winning against Silva.I think the style Randy has against Silva would have Silva in trouble.Something I could be incorrect on but it's just a gut feeling I get if the fight were ever to take place.

I don't know.I just see Randy winning against Silva.I think the style Randy has against Silva would have Silva in trouble.Something I could be incorrect on but it's just a gut feeling I get if the fight were ever to take place.

its possible. randys strenght is in the clinch, though if he is not careful, he will lose some teeth to a vivious knee

I respect your opinion, and can fully see where you're coming from, but I just see Anderson being too dang fast. After being held down for so long by Shownone, I'd hope Silva is working very very hard to never let that happen again.

its possible. randys strenght is in the clinch' date=' though if he is not careful, he will lose some teeth to a vivious knee[/quote']

Also Randy is aging.If he started getting careless and keep going for the take downs.He could eat knees.Anderson is pretty elusive and would be aware of Randy's intentions for that take down....So it's very possible.

I do however see Randy coming in with a great game plan though.Chael had no game play what so ever against Anderson.Basically grind and aggressive take downs.He mixed that with exchanging but mostly wanted that take down.Something I could see Randy doing too.

I respect your opinion' date=' and can fully see where you're coming from, but I just see Anderson being too dang fast. After being held down for so long by Shownone, I'd hope Silva is working very very hard to never let that happen again.[/quote']

I agree with what you're saying.We usually have the exact same outlook on things.I can just see Randy somehow winning.I really want to see Randy/Silva fight.Even though I think most people would want to see Fedor/Randy if Fedor ever came into the UFC.

Remember there is a possibility Fedor could come to the UFC eventually.It wouldn't shock me if he did.I know it'd shock everyone else though.Because no one thinks he ever will come.

I agree with what you're saying.We usually have the exact same outlook on things.I can just see Randy somehow winning.I really want to see Randy/Silva fight.Even though I think most people would want to see Fedor/Randy if Fedor ever came into the UFC.

Remember there is a possibility Fedor could come to the UFC eventually.It wouldn't shock me if he did.I know it'd shock everyone else though.Because no one thinks he ever will come.

I'm glad to have a fellow logic based forum goer :)

Dude, if Fedor doesn't eventually come to the UFC, he's not fulfilling his fighting career's potential. If you're supposed to be one of the best in the world, why not go out and fight the guys that people think can beat you? Fedor is like any other fighter... sign a contract and fight. I'm thinking that with the monopolization that is going on, Fedor will pretty much have to go to the UFC if he wants to stay relevant.

Archived